AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: TerryP Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 12:26 AM
Hi, I know this could be fodder for a fire but I need some advice from folks who really know the island. I was down there a couple of weeks ago and had a fling with a rasta that sells jewelry on the beach. I thought it was just a vacation thing but we have continued to keep calling each other. I wonder now if thats smart...there are thousands of girls who come through there....am I just being naive to think something might come of this? or do tourist/local romances work out sometimes?
Posted By: reaper Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 02:11 AM
Better call Dr. Phil for his advice...he's been to San Pedro...
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 02:17 AM
Depends...
Is your guy a Rastafarian? Good...
Or a Rastafakeian? Watch out!
Posted By: dabunk Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 04:17 AM
Is he asking for money? Some other sob story?
Posted By: Teenah Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 04:35 AM
Well said Jesse. I agree. Dreads do not necessarily a Rasta make.
Posted By: tinabythebeach Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 04:57 AM
Originally Posted by TerryP
Hi, I know this could be fodder for a fire but I need some advice from folks who really know the island. I was down there a couple of weeks ago and had a fling with a rasta that sells jewelry on the beach. I thought it was just a vacation thing but we have continued to keep calling each other. I wonder now if thats smart...there are thousands of girls who come through there....am I just being naive to think something might come of this? or do tourist/local romances work out sometimes?

Yes. Thousands.
Posted By: armandogonzalez Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 07:08 AM
maybe it does work
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 01:36 PM
i have to say i've seen posts like this every few years. i do not know if some work out or not. i've also seen posts like this where the man has a wife or kids somewhere he failed to mention. i've seen belizean (and american) men who are true to their women, and i've seen ones who collect lovers like trading cards, telling each they love only her.

as a mom - i have to tell you to think. this guy may be nice, and may be for real. but his career is selling jewelery on a beach on a tiny island. as a girl, did you see your future with someone who can take care of you, support you, lead you toward a comfortable old age? did you see a decent home, a nice car, little nest egg for retirement? or did you see yourself supporting your man financially and working to feed him and your potential children?

look past today or next month, and see 15 years from now for a minute. reading your question, i think you probably know the answer yourself.

Posted By: Sun&sand Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 02:09 PM
Wow, sweetjane, you really are a mom. I agree with every word you said. As a mom, you are right on target. As a romantic, you want it to work out and they live happily ever after. If we were in a perfect world, huh?
As a nurse, my concern of the "fling" is are you protected if you went that far? You know there are "gifts" out there that will kill you, so be safe. Not judging, but being concerned.
Posted By: catdance62 Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 02:13 PM
I agree with sweetjane and Sun&Sand. Warning!! Danger, danger, danger!!! Since you asked those questions, you are already having doubts. Listen to your brain, not your heart (or hormones).
Posted By: BrusselSprout Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 02:38 PM
Totally. Red alert is correct. I hate to use the word Rastitute cuz I'm sure lots of these guys are very nice but...
Posted By: snorkelgirl Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 03:09 PM
Here's a clue....who's paying for the phone calls?

Even if you used protection, a screening from the OB/GYN might be a good idea.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 03:57 PM
Terry p if you are serious ,and this post is for real .As soon as the calls come in collect and he asks for western union to help his sick mother .you will know the truth !!!!!!! people will say I am CRUEL !!!and heartless ,not so just telling you the facts !!! fling good?? LEAVE IT AT THAT JUST A LIVING THE DREAM EXPERIENCE.AND MOVE ON TO REALITY.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 04:37 PM
Yep, I agree with the posters here. I have several girl friends who have gone through just about all scenarios (as you would in the states) but truth is, their job is to "wow" the tourists... just keep it casual and MAKE SURE IT'S WRAPPED WELL!!! laugh

Time will tell if it's "meant to be"! smile

Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 05:31 PM
Like glad wrap?
Posted By: Rykat Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 05:46 PM
ah ha! The dog stirs.
(after all that time that's all ya got)?
Posted By: Wyoming Carla Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 10:23 PM
Tuff question Terry P. Been there done dat, but had THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF MY LIFE; and it didn't work out. But it sounds like some do. Go with it, but don't make any urgent plans to sell everything you own just yet. You probably need to go hang out with him again....maybe a surprise visit if you don't get any of the red lights mentioned above. I feel for ya gial. BUT, ya never know! Best of luck. Hope it's real.
Posted By: TerryP Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 10:43 PM
Thanks to you all for your responses. These are very helpful. You have given me some things to consider and watch out for. So confused...it seems like we are connecting but he could just be taking me for a ride. In any event, I am better prepared for whatever happens thanks to your advice!
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 11:00 PM
Time for my favorite ode again:

O innocent victims of Cupid
Remember this terse little verse
To let a fool kiss you is stupid
To let a kiss fool you is worse.
Posted By: Big Mike Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/08/08 11:30 PM
There was a girl who posted about an almost identical encounter a few years ago. She felt that she had met her life partner during a wild weekend in San Pedro. After she went back to the States they kept in touch on the phone and email. When she returned a month later to surprise him he had already moved on to the next available tourist and wouldn't even speak to her. Chalk it up as a really fun fling, nothing more, nothing less.
Posted By: armandogonzalez Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/09/08 02:50 AM
u guys give the girl a break
Posted By: JZB Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/09/08 03:27 PM
I also know of local guys that have gone off to Marry gringas.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/10/08 12:15 AM
Jessie, I think this horse needs to be euthanized also sick
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Slightly Embarassing - 01/10/08 02:09 AM
POOF...
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board