AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: elbert Time Share Harrasment - 01/22/08 06:37 PM
I'm getting complaints from guest about being stopped by Time Share people on the streets , I thought the Town board had passed a ruling against this.
Two thick British accents representing Reef Village are apparently pulling over in their golf cart to proposition Tourist walking on the streets.
The complaints are in the nature of, 'What part of No don't they understand'.
:-(
Posted By: SimonB Re: Time Share Harrasment - 01/22/08 07:31 PM
As soon as the rain stopped this morning they were out in full force on the beach. Only the police can do anything about it and either they don't know about the law or are turning a blind eye.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Time Share Harrasment - 01/22/08 07:51 PM
If at all possible, grab photos, names or the name of the resort where they work.

Will find out how to make an official complaint and post here. By the way not only did the town board create regulations, the time share law is now enacted too.
Posted By: elbert Re: Time Share Harrasment - 01/22/08 08:58 PM
Reef Village , Two Britts, man and woman in Golf cart
I personally heard them and watched them go up and down main st. stopping tourist walking ,hustling for Reef Village.
There is a big gap in Town Board rules and enforcement. I'm not sure the local police are aware of this Town Board decision to keep reins on time share hustlers molesting tourist on the street.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Time Share Harrasment - 01/22/08 09:02 PM
I'm not sure that taking their pictures would make them, or who they work for all that happy. They may be working for Reef Village now but they were all working for Banyan Bay before.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Time Share Harrasment - 01/22/08 09:11 PM
Well, we know who they are so that is a good start. The Reef Village time share has just come into existence recently but it looks like the other time share entities are, for the most part, abiding by the new law.

The police are being made aware of the problem and will hopefully be giving it some much needed attention - but I wouldn't hold my breath on this until after elections!

Posted By: elbert Re: Time Share Harrasment - 01/22/08 09:17 PM
Definitely they said Reef Village, I'm not familiar with the operation there are they selling those as Time Share/
I love how the name goes from time share to vacation sharing or what ever they can call it to escape the conentation of con pan handler
Posted By: Portofino Re: Time Share Harrasment - 01/22/08 09:21 PM
Amanda, I'm not sure whether you've seen it last Saturday, when we were approaching the school in the alley across the street, we were being chased (and that wasn't the first time) by a time share sales man from Captain Morgan's in a golf cart. When he saw us he entered the alley with such high speed that I was afraid he would run over my daughter. He kept following us till we crossed the street and and entered the gate. He even didn't give up when we told him that we were living in San Pedro and were definitely not interested.

Guess the land sharks are hungry this time of year.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Time Share Harrasment - 01/22/08 09:50 PM
And those alleys are some of their favourite hunting grounds, they sit and wait until a tourist comes down the beach and then they attack. The stretch between Wet Willy's and Boca Del Rio park is also a popular stalking ground.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Time Share Harrasment - 01/22/08 10:11 PM
Do these people have work permits - and if so, how the heck did they get them. Maybe if Town Board is not interested, Immigration and/or Labour are?
Posted By: SimonB Re: Time Share Harrasment - 01/22/08 10:20 PM
They've been here for a long time and 2 are Belizean.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Time Share Harrasment - 01/22/08 10:20 PM
Has anybody tried actually talking and reasoning with the owners of these operations ........ it is possible (not probable but possible) that they don't know the degree to which they ruining the very place they have to sell?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Time Share Harrasment - 01/22/08 11:30 PM
I was stopped today by a Belizean on a golf cart pushing timeshares at Capn. Morgan's. When I said I lived here he drove of without another word. It's the third time in the last few days - it's definitely getting worse.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Time Share Harrasment - 01/23/08 01:43 PM
As Jan said, these land sharks are hungry.

Chris and I haven't been hassled too often - once they realize that they are dealing with somebody that WILL report them they back off very quickly.

You can challenge them for the their name, number and resort and tell them that you will be reporting them. The word will spread amongst them quickly and you won't be bothered - as much.

We all agree that the rules and the law needs to be enforced, it is unfortunate for us that the security forces are in full gear working with the campaiging polititions.

What if we get tshirts printed that say - I SAID no thanks! And on the back it can say - If you bother me again and ruin my experience on this island, I won't be back. And you will be out of a job.

Probably wouldn't take more than a week or 2 of our guests wearing those for the message to sink in.

If that is too expensive, maybe badges or one of the rubber bands that guests can wear on the wrist.

I heard one of those guys telling an older couple that he had 3 kids and he needed the money he would receive if they went to the time share presentation to pay for much needed school supplies and shoes. It was ridiculous. If they can't cajole they try the sympathy card and if that doesn't work they bully!

The photo taking thing works for me. As soon as I started taking pics of these guys that stopped operating within sight of our office.

The booth at Wild Mangoes is shutting down soon - their lease isn't be renewed. If other businesses followed suit (but they won't) then it might calm down a little.

When I went to Playa del Carmen last I stayed in a resort that sold timeshare. Nobody accosted any of our group during the visit. A small envelope was pushed under the door of the room inviting us to participate in a presentation, but that was it. On the beaches and streets some opc's eyed us up, saw that we were going to say no, and simply smiled, waved and bade us a good visit. That was it.

Somebody has the right formula - we need to get it and come back armed with the secret to ridding the island of obnoxious time share sales practices.

I know everybody needs to make a living, but hassling and harrassing our visitors to the point that they are afraid to walk the beaches and drive our streets is unacceptable.

Diane, many of these sales people are Brits. Because we are a member of the commonwealth it is quite simple for them to obtain work permits. It is a reciprocal arrangement for Belizeans that live in the UK.
Posted By: elbert Re: Time Share Harrasment - 01/23/08 02:39 PM
Amanda would call the mayor. I think she would be more responsive to your call and it seems to be the most direct method having her trigger the police to pick them up for a conference on ethics and manners at the police station.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Time Share Harrasment - 01/23/08 04:00 PM
Its been done - but the cops are spread too thin working on security details and training camps in regards campaign issues. Elections are on Feb 7th, then we should be able to get the town board and police department lined out again. It is a high priority and the new chief is aware & concerned about the issue.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Time Share Harrasment - 02/03/08 08:45 PM
I was told that 2 timeshare persons were arrested on the beach just south of the high school this week.

The latest trick though is not to make the pitch while the tourists are standing on the beach but to drive up and offer them a ride and then pitch them once they have them on the move (this I witnessed.)
Posted By: elbert Re: Time Share Harrasment - 02/03/08 11:28 PM
Yayyyyyyyyyyy
Posted By: Portofino Re: Time Share Harrasment - 02/04/08 11:08 PM
That would be a cheap alternative for taxis; call your timeshare agent when you need to go somewhere and use earplugs during the ride.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Time Share Harrasment - 02/18/08 11:01 PM
Lan Sludder just posted a complaint about RV on the "other" message board. He said Reef Village RV timeshare sales people harrassed him on the road outside the condos themselves. This was a couple of weeks ago - not good to alienate a tour-guide-book writer ------- somebody needs to have a nice chat with Jules or Jeff on this.
Posted By: elbert Re: Time Share Harrasment - 02/26/08 03:56 PM
I just ran off the beach a guy named 'Armondo' who the guest have been complaining about hes working for captain Morgans selling time share. Won't take no from guests trying to relax on the beach and i threatened him with a call to the police and used the F word several times before he would leave the property . the quests are still complaining and I 'm more than a little P#*&*# off. He parks his golf cart in our lot and goes to the rooms door. Quote from the guest "We didn't come to Belize for this"
I called Captain Morgans but the Time share rep. isn't in.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Time Share Harrasment - 02/26/08 04:09 PM
The RV folks were at it again on the road by San Pedro Supermarket, right by the Costa Maya booth that's been set up. Can't wait for the fist fights to start up (my tourist! No, my tourist! NO, MY TOURIST!) Just doesn't look like this is going to stop or the laws be enforced. May as well get used to it.
Posted By: elbert Re: Time Share Harrasment - 02/26/08 04:14 PM
I have a lot of faith in our mayor if she gets mad these guys will
see a change
and if this guy shows up here again I'm going to change his out look
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Time Share Harrasment - 02/26/08 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
Lan Sludder just posted a complaint about RV on the "other" message board. He said Reef Village RV timeshare sales people harrassed him on the road outside the condos themselves. This was a couple of weeks ago - not good to alienate a tour-guide-book writer ------- somebody needs to have a nice chat with Jules or Jeff on this.

From what I understand, the biggest problem regarding time share sales at Reef Village is the fact that the "owners" of the buildings are not here. The time shares sales are being made in 2 buildings that Jeff sold to an investment group. So Jeff and Jules don't really have anything to do with the actual time share sales at the resort.

Posted By: elbert Re: Time Share Harrasment - 02/26/08 11:18 PM
It doesn't matter who they work for or don't work for Amanda.
Its hurting the island and these hustlers need to be taken off the streets and beaches they are a detriment to the tourist industry in Belize.
Posted By: elbert Re: Time Share Harrasment - 02/26/08 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by elbert
Quote from the guest "We didn't come to Belize for this"

That is the important part we need to listen to
Posted By: shuffles Re: Time Share Harrasment - 03/13/08 12:11 AM
I really hate to bring this subject up again.....but I have to. They have at least stopped grabbing people the minute they are out our gate, but late last week we had a brother and sister here, who of course were stopped, and told that it didnt matter that they weren't married, they could go anyway..blah, blah blah... of course, they won the "big prize"...and they got a card saying that if they went to Costa Maya for a presentation, they would get $100 off diving at Amigos del Mar.....well, they had been diving all week there anyway, so they go to the presentation, and dive the next day. When they get back from diving, they ask at Amigos, and of course, they know nothing about it. Of course, the "coupon" with the $100 off was taken by the sales rep when they arrived.

That is just wrong. Now, who is supposed to suck that $100 up? me? Amigos? Since they were leaving, I didn't have a chance to address the issue at Costa Maya, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start telling people they are getting a free dinner at this restaurant or that restaurant...blah blah...anyone else had this happen?

Cindy
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Time Share Harrasment - 03/13/08 03:28 AM
I'm lately hearing more and more visitors saying they won't be back cause of the harassment by time share salespersons.It's a SHAME!!!
P.S. All letters and the San Pedro Daily are forwarded to the San Pedro Town Council...every day.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Time Share Harrasment - 03/14/08 04:46 PM
Is this info getting to Junior? He can apply pressure.
Posted By: shuffles Re: Time Share Harrasment - 03/14/08 05:35 PM
Not sure, but know it was brought up at the Chamber meeting yesterday and Elsa was there....
Posted By: SimonB Re: Time Share Harrasment - 03/14/08 06:21 PM
Overheard one of them this morning coaching a new guy on how to scam tourists out of their prizes, nice.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Time Share Harrasment - 03/14/08 06:22 PM
Beside San Pedro Supermarket if you were going to ask.
Posted By: shuffles Re: Time Share Harrasment - 03/14/08 06:26 PM
great
Posted By: elbert Re: Time Share Harrasment - 03/14/08 08:14 PM
There is an ad on San Pedro television channel 7, for recruitment of new time share salespeople.
It makes being one sound like the answer/key to everything you ever wanted.
check it out ,quite a chuckle.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Time Share Harrasment - 03/14/08 08:33 PM
Gonna try out for it?
Posted By: elbert Re: Time Share Harrasment - 03/14/08 09:02 PM
"You can earn money to buy all the things you ever wanted!"
I want a good sharp photo of an Agami Heron but money can't buy it.
Posted By: weile Re: Time Share Harrasment - 03/17/08 10:59 PM
The Reef Village sales people are probably among the most obnoxious and fist-in-their-faces-inviting people I have ever encountered, but unfortunately it is not the sales people that are the real problem. It is the companies they work for. They should be held responsible for the behavior of their employees.
It doesn't matter if there is an x-amount dollar fine. It is paid for 100 times by the sales. Suggestion: 3 offenses against the rules that exists, and you are not allowed to sell for 3 months.
Posted By: shuffles Re: Time Share Harrasment - 03/18/08 07:19 PM
Now that might work.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Time Share Harrasment - 03/18/08 08:39 PM
I think the new laws do contain some wording along those lines, enforcement is the issue (or lack thereof.)
Posted By: shuffles Re: Time Share Harrasment - 03/19/08 01:09 PM
I've done some photographing and documenting on the loud obnoxious and speeding vehicles. Writing down license plate numbers (when they have one). Often thought that the paper should have a "Shame on You" column where we could put them, the atrocious drivers, the blatant litterers, etc. Maybe if we get some photos, license plate numners, locations, etc., and actually "out" these people, there would be some monitoring by locals who see them on the streets. I don't have high hopes for that, but other than pulling them off the golf cart and pummelling them to death, I'm not sure what else to do.

Cindy
Posted By: SimonB Re: Time Share Harrasment - 04/15/08 11:44 PM
So much for the words of Reef Village timeshares at the Chamber meeting. All of their mobile salespeople were out in full force today tearing around in their golf carts.
Posted By: elbert Re: Time Share Harrasment - 04/16/08 04:06 PM
Did you really believe any of it at the meeting?
I googled 'lipservice'

Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

Lip service is an idiom meaning "minimal compliance only".
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board