AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice

Posted By: merc

Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/28/08 02:20 PM

We have finally decided on which week we are coming to AC, and have now found an alternative place to stay while we are there and would like advice on Which place to stay. Both places are private homes situated directly on the beach, but they are located on different parts of the Caye. We will be visiting AC from July 6th through July 14th. We are bringing our 13 and 14 year old kids and if property and laws allow, our little dog. We want to do alot of advernturing while we are there, but like our privacy and times of solitude too.

So, what are the advantages/disadvantages to staying on the beach north of San Pedro versus staying on the beach far south on the Caye?
Posted By: colomojo

Re: Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/28/08 02:26 PM

We stayed in a private condo appx 3 miles south of town across from Mr Joes - on the beach with a pool, pier, palapa etc...we rented a golf cart to get back and forth to town and explore the island; everything worked out great. When we were there they were buiding new condos but I don't know how full or busy they will be. Regardless it was a great stay!! I've heard there are a lot of regulations to bringing pets to AC so you may want to be diligent in checking that out. Just FYI.

Re: Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/28/08 02:36 PM

Thanks colomojo!

To be more specific as to the locations, one home is south of the dump and the other one is 6 miles north of SP and apparently you must take a boat(on the property) to get to SP.

Thanks again to everyone who can help us make a decision.
Posted By: cakelee

Re: Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/28/08 04:00 PM

I agree with colomojo - south of town is great because you are close enough to get to town to eat, shop, keep the kids occupied, etc but far enough away that the beach seems very private and there's not much traffic (if any at all at the home you are looking at south of the dump). We also rent a cart, as it gives us the freedom to come and go as we please.

I, personally, would like the seclusion of being 6 miles north, but my kids would probably disagree after a day or two.

Keep in mind, if you are doing any excursions, the tour operators offer to pick you up (at least they do south of town, and I would think north of town would be the same).
Posted By: JZB

Re: Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/28/08 04:05 PM

There is just as much beach traffic 6 miles north of town (because of the resorts) than there is 3 miles south but if staying south, you can get to town in 15 minutes in a golf cart.

Re: Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/28/08 04:06 PM

yes - Our tour folks picked us up right at the pier outside the condo. I don't know where the dump is so I can't give a reference there. I have heard from the north of town one must take a water taxi to get to town but this is something else I have not experienced yet either. The management company we rented the condo from provided transportation to and from the airstrip and we had the golf cart after that! It was so convenient to come and go as we pleased. We will be back in May and can't wait...staying only 1/2 a mile from where we did in December.
Posted By: cherylvalentine

Re: Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/28/08 04:59 PM

I like the north end of the Island better myself but I don't have kids to entertain. It is very easy to get to town from the north end especially if you have a golf cart. As far as your dog is concerned, it really isn't that hard to bring them into belize, as long as you can prove that it's shots are all up to date, and has a clean bill of health it shouldn't be any problem what so ever. You also need a import permit from BAHA Here is there email address [email protected] Where ever you stay I know you will have the time of your life, as there are pro's and cons to both side of the island.

Re: Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/28/08 05:11 PM

Wow! Thank you everyone for all the great advice! :-)

The home to the north comes with its' own 21 ft skiff, but we are limited to getting a ride to SP only once per day and I think we'd need to find our own way back home from SP once we get there. I've grown up with boats my whole long life, but don't know if we could convince the owners to allow us to take the skiff ourselves after a few trips with him?

If we stay in the far south, we would definately rent a golf cart.

The home in the south is on the AC satellite map from another thread but the home in the north is not, and is in the blurry map area.

Re: Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/28/08 05:39 PM

Cheryl is right, no matter where you stay you will have a great time!! Sounds like since you have kids, the South end has more to offer convenience wise. I've decided to take an adventure to the North next time we are there. AC is just awesome!
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/28/08 11:32 PM

my vote with kids is South.
Posted By: WV fisher

Re: Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/29/08 07:16 AM

my vote with kids is south also. We stay closer to town so we don't need anything but our feet to get us somewhere. Have stayed both north and south. Road north with a golf cart is an experience in itself.
Posted By: suecate

Re: Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/29/08 12:33 PM

we stayed at banyan bay great location for the kids. North I wouldn't go to far.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/29/08 04:18 PM

the closer to town the better with the kids. Leave the dog home.
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/29/08 04:38 PM

listen to barb - she knows! smile

as to the skiff - you would need to know where the sand bars and stuff are in diff tides- i've seen islanders even get stuck occasionally.

short golf cart ride from 6 miles north? i stayed one mile north and it was still nearly 20 minutes (on flooded roads) to drive into town center. how long is a cart drive from 6 miles????
Posted By: margarita

Re: Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/29/08 06:52 PM

I agree with Barbara K about the dog. The tropic heat is very different. I would be more concerned with making sure they would let my dog back into the U.S.A.!!
Also agree about south with kids if a boat is needed. Any storms come round and boats don't go and people get stuck. AC is a very lovely place to be stuck - no problem there for me - but I would want to let the children out for fresh air & exercise!
Check out All the Maps on this site! Belize it!

Re: Revamping AC visit plans - Need Advice - 01/29/08 08:54 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great advice and info.

Okay, it is settled. We're staying 3.5 miles south of SP at Casa Redondo.

I guess I should start a new thread in order to ask for help with all other aspects of this trip.

Thanks again to everyone for all the fantastic help!
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board