AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Mangrove Snapper

Posted By: ibbrian

Mangrove Snapper - 02/05/08 03:58 AM

I will be there starting Feb 15th and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on fishing for Mangrove Snapper in the area. Also will be fishing on the very south end of the island in the deep cut where I've been told there might be Permit. Any truth to that rumor?
Posted By: elbert

Re: Mangrove Snapper - 02/05/08 02:56 PM

Their are a lot of better fishermen than i on this board ,but i say yes for sure i catch mangrove snapper and 'see' permit but haven't caught one.
Posted By: bywarren

Re: Mangrove Snapper - 02/05/08 03:33 PM

Here is an interesting and informative web site on the fish in Belize. http://biological-diversity.info/Fish_marine.htm

PS: to answer your question. Yes, you will catch a varity of the different snapper and there are permit but difficult to catch in most places especially where there is the fishing pressure like around AC.
Posted By: collyk

Re: Mangrove Snapper - 02/05/08 03:44 PM

We catch and eat tons of mangrove snapper. They are the fish with a cute dot. Very common here. Best way to catch them is to have a great fishing guide. When we go, if the line is in the water for longer than a minute, you're bait is gone. They virtually jump into the boat at the right sites. We've caught small permit, but never intentionally.
Posted By: elbert

Re: Mangrove Snapper - 02/05/08 03:49 PM

Cool Link bywarren, I bookmarked it.Collyk , your supposed to pull when you feel a nibble on your bait....i think?

Re: Mangrove Snapper - 02/05/08 03:57 PM

What bait? We don't use bait. We just whistle dixie.
Posted By: bywarren

Re: Mangrove Snapper - 02/05/08 03:58 PM

Don't mean to be nit-picky, collyk, but you are probably talking about mutton snapper. They have a "dot" just before the tail. Grey snapper, also called mangrove snapper, do not have this. Mutton snapper are ofter called, mistakenly so, red snapper.

Re: Mangrove Snapper - 02/05/08 04:01 PM

You're right ByWarren. I drank a bit too much rum punch last night. Well if you are talking about Grey Snapper, they are trickier to catch. Put up a great fight. They were plentiful after Hurricane Dean. Everyone was catching them by the bag load right off the docks. If ibbrian is going to the channel down south, he/she/it will have a really good chance of catching them. We've had some good fishing for Greys down there.
Posted By: Bill Mc Ghee

Re: Mangrove Snapper - 02/05/08 04:09 PM

http://myfwc.com/Marine/FishID/snapgray.html

This is the fish you are discussing.

Re: Mangrove Snapper - 02/05/08 11:44 PM

Thanks for the info. What are you using for bait & hooks/lures and is it feasible to fly fish for them?

Re: Mangrove Snapper - 02/06/08 05:30 AM

Well I've just gotten back from Carnaval, slightly worse for wear but I'll do my best. I presume you're asking about the mangrove snapper. We net our own sardines but you can buy frozen sardines from Captain Sharks and many local shops. That is the commonly used bait. I feel obliged to clarify that these are whole sardines I am talking about. We once invited a friend to fish with us and he brought a can of sardines in tomato sauce.

I've never heard of anyone fly fishing for snapper, but what do I know. Bill Mcghee, of previous posts, kindly helps us out with hooks, so he can probably tell you exactly what we are using. I have no idea what their official size is, we just use them by sight. A small sinker, loose on the line seems to work fine. Maybe slightly bigger on a breezy day. Quite frankly, either they are biting or they are not. If they are - it is easy.

Actually we do know - we happen to use circle hooks #3 or 4. And the whole sardines are cut into four pieces before being placed on the hook. The fresher the bait the better but we have had some good luck with dried salted sardines as well.
Posted By: Bill Mc Ghee

Re: Mangrove Snapper - 02/06/08 05:50 AM

IBBrian:
Snapper are not a top feeder fish. So fly fishing would not be recommended. Unless you use your Fly rod to present your lure/bait in a still manner. They are not Bone fish or Permit who will attack a moving target. I do know that any bait presented to them either in a still mode or a drift( with limited success) mode will produce results. They can be enticed to bite by just presenting the Bait( in belize it is sardines,in Florida it is shrimp)in a still mode. I have never done the drift method. The prefered method is to anchor and drop bait , with a adequate weight to maintain it stationary. So if you are bank fishing for snapper you will be fine. You will also find that in Belize snapper are plentiful and very easy to catch. Please take what you need for your consumption and release the rest back to the water to fight another day.I and many other fisherpeople will appreciate it. Good luck and as the "Cappy" would say. Tight lines!!

Re: Mangrove Snapper - 02/06/08 02:12 PM

collyk & Bill - thanks for the insight. I'm also bringing a spin rig for bait fishing. Catch & release is a way of life here (Montana). Never take more than we are going to eat.
Posted By: krehfish

Re: Mangrove Snapper - 02/06/08 02:30 PM

Actually, a flyrod can be effective on snappers that are in and around the mangroves. Not as effective as bait, but doable. It does require a boat and you can sightfish them. Look for them schooling around small mangrove clumps. If you see a barracuda around, chances are good there is a snapper school nearby. They seem to prefer relatively large flies esp. w/red flash.

Re: Mangrove Snapper - 02/06/08 02:45 PM

krehfish - will definitely try the flyrod on the snapper. Bringing a little bit of everything. This is my first trip there, but sounds like it won't be the last. Thanks again.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board