AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Motorcycles etc. on the beach North

Posted By: weile

Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/07/08 07:58 PM

Just wanted to ask if any of you know what is going on. The motorcycle traffic on the beach is getting crazy. 10 of them every day, most of them un-licensed (un-insured?). Have had a couple of situations where tourist kids were close to being run over. Two of them are carrying rifle bags on the handle bars.
Also several golf carts on the beach now.
I called the police and reported that guys in camouflage clothes were driving on the beach with rifles on un-registered motorcycles 4.5 miles north, but the police didn't know if 4.5 miles north of S.P. was north of the bridge; and they just hung up on me. When I called back and the commanding officer apologized, I thought that they were interested in doing something; but it goes on and on, also with frequent shooting (hunting) right in our backyard. Maybe it takes a stray bullet to the head of a tourist or a kid run over on the beach before the police cares?
Posted By: elbert

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/07/08 08:21 PM

I've been waiting for you to say something . i have a big concern about it as well. Gurrrrrrrrr
These guys are getting dangerous with the speed as well.
I saw the two guys with the guns they are 'hunting ' Mexico rocks area, Thats insane!
also against the law (some times the two go together.)
lets just concentrate on the beach for now if we mix two issues It just doesn't work . I'll file a complaint about the hunters at the station formally.
These guys can use the road the beach is just more fun.
The big dig is no one around to correct the problem , so what I've been thinking is we could find where they switch from the road in back to the beach path and block that. They have to go to the back road at pats house , where do they switch to the front?
Posted By: Portofino

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/07/08 08:25 PM

I stopped 2 unlicensed motorcycles about 2 weeks ago that were racing the beach. It took the first one 125 feet to stop after I jumped in his path. They were a Creole and a Hispanic guy and they had no mufflers. We almost got into a fight because they refused to go to the road.

Mike Campbell at Xaman Ek has his beach closed off with lumber, so bicycles have to carry their bike over them. Jim and Stan here want to do the same. I'll just wait and see what happens.

Jan

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/07/08 08:40 PM

Its against the law to have 'motorized' vehicles on the beach. I understand that and feel the same way about blocking them. but if we block the bicycles we won't have a leg to stand on with the police if they complain. It might be more effective to block the point they cross from the back to the front than block the beach path itself.I think everyone wants folks (non motorized traffic ) to be able to walk the beach with out climbing over blockades.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/07/08 10:48 PM

Block it but leave gaps wide enough for bicycle tires to pass through. Motorcycle tires are much fatter so they shouldn't be able to pass.
Posted By: Banana Beach

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/08/08 12:28 AM

If you check into the full extent of the law I think you will find that there is to be no wheeled vehicles on the beach. This includes bicycles. The bicyclists can be almost as hazardous as the motorcycles. Most have little to no respect for guests including children playing and relaxing on the beach.

Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/08/08 09:43 PM

At the North end of the Journey's End property there is a blockade and a sign that says "no motorozed vehiecles on the beach" (blockade and sign belong to Journey's End)--- a very passable road takes carts off the beach and travels behind Journey's End, passing Rendezvous, Solaria and Las Terazzas. The beach at JE is really very nice - lots of pretty chairs and white sand and it's a lovely spot for their guests.

Here's the rub --- at the South boarder of Journey's End, JE and Las Terazzas have a small fleet carts parked near the beach. These carts are routinely driven back and forth on the beach between Journey's End and Las Terazzas. Primary offenders - LT staff (management especially.)
It's only 200 feet but somehow these folks refuse to walk, and cannot be respectful enough to to drive on the perfectly good road that runs behind these properties ........... which they insist all others use.

Once in a while to do something like this for materials delivery or other kinds of unusual circumstances is one thing - we can all understand that, but this is just plain stupid.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/08/08 10:08 PM

The traffic on the beach is getting crazy, and ther is a good road alternative where we are at. I find it scary to see all the motorcycles; and when it now includes armed guys in camo without license plates, it just serves as another turn-off to tourists. I can almost live with the bicycles. Just wish half of them wouldn't be flashing machetes, which looks kinda scary too.

Re. the hunting issue, I have reported this to the police incl. exact desciptions of the golf carts and motorcycles plus the people on numerous occasions, which would make it relatively easy for the police to pick them up by the bridge; but they apparently couldn't care less.

While writing this on my laptop, i just witnessed another motorcycle on the beach. I told him that the police were writing tickets on the beach just north of me (which would of course never happen!). The llittle lie worked and the SOB turned around after threatening me with what-not. So I guess the deal is to lie and tell people that we actually have police here.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/08/08 11:14 PM

Hi Ebbe-
Reservations for dinner tomorrow night please - it's about 300 feet from here to there -- Las Terazzas offered to send a taxi but we think we can walk.
Ciao Dude - seriously love the food.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/09/08 02:46 PM

'easy for the police to pick them up by the bridge; but they apparently couldn't care less.'
I think you've hit the nail on the head Weile
and our little solders don't address this kind of crime so we are really back to square one with the business assoc. assisting us with this problem'.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/09/08 06:03 PM

Has anyone tried calling the Traffic department?

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/09/08 06:35 PM

Good suggestion , I just did and there is no answer.
I'll try again Monday its the weekend.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/14/08 04:33 PM

Segway is apparently working on a plan to offer north of the bridge beach tours on their wheeled thingys. Not sure if this would be organized (as wih a guide) or independent ....... an frankly I am not sure what the propulsion method of a Segway is either, but they look like a motor-beast to my untrained eye.
A man (from this company) was up at one local resort yesterday trying to convince the owner to remove the barriers so the vehicles can pass on the beach. Resort owner said "no, use the road". Segway fellow apparently argued.

It would be nice to nip this in the bud with a friendly chat if possible. Does anywbody know these folks who can maybe talk a little sense to them before we have more upset for them us and beach-goers? As much as I dislike the vehicles on the beach I also have some sympathy for the unsuspecting tourist who does the wrong thing and catches the ire of folks like us.

Suggest also that we get support from town board for a program whereby when a trades license is issued for a vehicle rental agency, a large sign must be prominently posted -
Motorized Vehicles may NOT be operated on the Beach

and that we begin as neighborhood groups to post similar looking signs up and own the beach areas where problems exist.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/14/08 04:53 PM

I just got off the phone with trarric dept.(AKA Transport Dept. San Pedro)
They say 'yes' against the law for motorized vehicles on beach and 'Yes' Segway two wheeled things are same difference , They advise a written report to the Town Council to report violation and then they can act on written report.
I belive a Sign on the beach is a good Idea but a nice friendly sign so It isn't read as 'unfriendly area' to the people walking the beach.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/14/08 05:07 PM

Can't we just say "get the f*** of the beach you a-hole"

Okay, we'll try it your way first Elbert. We can be nice when the situation warrants.

By the way the beach road in the Boca Del Rio area is a designated roadway - from Blue Tang to the Boca Del Rio Park.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/14/08 06:01 PM

I posted this a while back- I believe all wheeled vehicles, including non motorized, I.E. bicycles, are not to be on the beach.

If I had my choice between Segways on the beach and bicycles on the beach I would take the Segways. Bicycles go much faster and most of the riders have no manners what so ever. But I see no reason to compromise.

Plain and simple- no wheeled vehicles on the beach.

Pogo sticks and stilts are still OK though... ;-)

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/14/08 06:23 PM

I like pogo BB keep up the sense of humor. I agree no wheels would be nice,
but your looking at changing the law instead of just trying to get enforced whats already law. A much bigger challenge.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/14/08 06:49 PM

I heard BB has the Belize exclusive sales rights for pogo sticks!
Posted By: SFJeff

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/14/08 10:39 PM

wait a week and the Segways will rust.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 12:52 AM

At least with Segway you know where they've come from. Ensure the owner gets an official reminder that it's illegal to take them on the beach, then whenever anyone is caught simply nail the business owner. He'll soon start advising his customers to use the road!

But I also like Amanda's more direct approach.

How well would a pogo stick do in soft sand? I should think you'd get stuck very early on. Come too that, I doubt if a Segway will survive long with sand and salt around its bearings.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 02:32 PM

Well ........ four Segways were traveling up the beach yesterday. I approached them and said please use the road.
As much as I wanted to use the F-off approach, I erred on the side of calm and friendly, with a lot of pleading sighing and explaining that we'd really like to give the tourists a real beach where their kids can sit by the water's edge and play in peace. I said there is such a big difference between a beach and a road. I said that members of the neighborhood had gone to the personal expense of buildng and maintaining a road behind the lots to give vehicles a decent alternative route (incidentally the road in our area is really good).
I informed them of the ordinance about vehiecles on the beach. One of the riders made a sarcastic remark which I will not dignify by repeating here. Another rider, a gringo male, began to argue his case ---- he claims that he understands vehicle ordinances, but that "everywhere in the world we get Segway's exempted from the definition of a vehicle"........ and then annoucned that the Chamber of Commerce fully supports their beach tours. I shook my head and said look - you will get forcefull opposition from residents and businesses in this area and that is not fun for any of us - it will especially not be fun for your customers. He said surelyt here is a way to do this responsibly - I said - not on the beach there isn't, and walked away while he continued to mutter. The riders proceeded north along the beach. I did not see them return headed south.

I've read the Chamber Minutes each week and have not seen a single mention of an endorsement of Segway beach tours (could have been there and I forgot?)- but really, that is not the main point is it. The main point is how do we turn this island into a success story.

The quality of our beaches is one of our shortcomings - we can turn that around by picking up garbage, and by raking, and doing a little bit of volunteer grooming on adjacent vacant properties. We can do that by discouraging vehicles on the beach, we can do it - we can. There are some really beautiful stretches of beach along this island now, but if thes beautiful beaches are used as roads insteaad of parklike spaces where people cannot spread out a beach towel in peace, what is the point.

Suggest a passive resistance approach from beach establishments - no doubt the tourists on these vehicles will get thirsty and the tour operator figures he can stop at your resort or bar for a drink for his group. Well - the profit on five beers is not going to make up for lost revenues due to unhappy overnight guests on this island - period.
Suggest that establishments along the beach refuse service to people who abuse the beach by driving on it with golf cart, motorcycle or segway.

Also - suggest that those of us who live up island and who do not like vehicles on the beach should put our money where our mouths are - and keep the roads passable. Maybe even put some time and effort into making the roads a bit pretty. Tres Cocos has a lovely garden-lined roadway. Some of the other roads run along lagoons where the views are stunning, birding is great and it's a totally diffrernt and special island experience.
Let's do our part to make the roads someplace the travelers want to be - that would go a long way to taking the burden of "enforcement" off our shoulders. I ride a bike a lot. Beach riding is what I do where there is no road (or better said, no passable road) - I would far perfer to be on a road, as the soft sand is really difficult and somewhat dangerous. I think the hoards of workers who speed up the beach on bikes would rather go on a decent road too.
So anyway I am suggesting that without an attractive alternative we are going to be fighting a real uphill and possibly loosing, battle.
There are still some high-end homnes and resorts with large garbage pits along the roadside in the back of their property. It was the norm 15 years ago, but it's time that stopped too.
We should re-assess the big picture and make a concerted effort to make a clean, safe, beautiful beach and a clean, safe and comfortable road.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 02:52 PM

I had them as well and noticed their tracks circling Ann's house.I spent the time I usually do my morning jog putting in posts and blocking the width of those Segways tires I want people /joggers and bicycles to be able to pass and don't want the neighborhood to look like your approaching an embassy with all the ugly barriers but whats the alternative. The Town board business licensing restriction is probably the best avenue from here.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 03:38 PM

who is renting Segways? new business?

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 03:50 PM

yes there is a new business in town that rents segways.

I agree that there should be no wheeled traffic on the beach (except the designated road in Boca Del Rio.) This includes segways and bicycles.

If tourists are aware that it is unacceptable behaviour 99% of them will understand - but as Diane has pointed out, there must be a passable alternative.

In my neighbourhood we do our best to keep the road maintained and attractive.

Of course a segway is a vehicle. It has wheels and a motor. I think it is a nice novelty and again, most riders are respectful.

But I think the only way that segways will be banned from riding on the beach is if bicycles are too.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 04:05 PM

I can understand bikes on the beach in town, I wouldnt ride the conjested streets with all the speeding taxis, trucks ect.

BTW, who rent the segs?

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 04:38 PM

http://www.segwayofbelize.com/

"Segway of Belize and Empire Adventure provide the unique experience of riding a Segway PT on the beaches of the Caribbean Sea."

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 05:00 PM

Hey Elbert,

Not trying to create a new law here- I think it is already law that all wheeled vehicles, including bicycles, are not allowed on the beach. If I am wrong, then yes we do need to create a new law.

Ernie,

Bicycles on the beach IMO are even more of a threat to pedestrians and people in general than traffic on the road. You need to witness 20, 30, 40 kamikazee construction workers crashing through, over or around anything and everything in their way when they are riding on the beach.

As for bicycles on the beach in town, this has been for some time the most popular method of transportation for drug peddlers and now it is fast becoming the popular form of snatch/grab the purse, nap sack, fanny pack etc. and go. If keeping bicycles off the beach was fully enforced our beaches would be much safer.

Personally I would take Segways on the beach over bicycles on the beach. But the real answer is for all of us to work together to keep all wheeled vehicles off the beach.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 05:35 PM

I'm sure its 'motorized vehicles' I called and checked ....sorry.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by elbert
I just got off the phone with trarric dept.(AKA Transport Dept. San Pedro)
They say 'yes' against the law for motorized vehicles on beach and 'Yes' Segway two wheeled things are same difference , They advise a written report to the Town Council to report violation and then they can act on written report.
I belive a Sign on the beach is a good Idea but a nice friendly sign so It isn't read as 'unfriendly area' to the people walking the beach.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 07:14 PM

Agree with Tim's overall sentiment.

Would like to insert a few more items for consideration ......

construction workers (and hotel employees etc. on bikes) are workers who need to get to work //
tourists tend to be people who do not have the same compelling need and as long as they are doing something fun it does not have to be ride on any vehicle at all

On this count I think we owe more to the people who really need to go someplace than to the people who roam around just for fun and who have real alternatives on where and how to have that fun.

I noticed a 75% drop in kamakazee bicyclists when the road behind us went in. For now it is a manageable road primarily because the vehicles on it are carts and bikes.

Unfortunately the streets of San Pedro are dangerous for cyclists, and the new cobbles make it worse. Cars can now go faster, and if you do fall down you hit cement instead of sand.
Last Saturday our foreman was on his bicycle on a street in San Pedro when a taxi pulled out from a parking place and ran him down - he hi the pavement and suffered a fractured skull. the taxi driver has a neck that does not turn ------- checking for oncoming traffic may not even be possible for him, but stil he is driving on our streets.

So ------ to make the beaches safe and comfortable we need to make the roads safe and comfortable, no?

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 07:17 PM

My radical but (to me) sensible conclusion --------- get rid of cars and trucks as much as we can.

Check out two islands whose character and ambience are all about no-cars .......... both are touristic and both very successful.
Catalina Island, California
Mackinac Island, Michigan.

The lack of cars is a strong attraction for toursts in both locations.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 07:24 PM

Cycling along the new paved section of what I know I incorrectly call Coconut Drive between Banyan Bay and Banana Beach, I was recently passed by a motorbike doing (I estimate) at least 40mph. He was airborne over the humps. Maybe we just need a few more traffic cops patrolling on motorbikes (for speed and flexibility), and enforcement of the rules we already have.
Posted By: collyk

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 07:30 PM

I think Diane makes some excellent points. When we first visited Ambergris Caye we were charmed by the limited number of vehicles. Coming from London, it was just heavenly. Since we've been living here, under two years, the number of cars, trucks, SUVS and people who charge around at high speeds in these new, fast Polaris type vehicles have made the roads perilous. We almost cycle exclusively and fortunately got our cycling experience on the roads of London. We cycle defensively and take up as much as the road as we can, in an effort to stay safe and visible.

Before the road was paved and during the construction process, sometimes cycling the beach was the only viable means to get anywhere. Diane is quite correct - until the roads are safer, with much stricter speed controls and a reduction in permits given for fast and huge cars (wonder how much someone would still want an SUV if it had a speed limiter on it keeping it to the island speed limit), I think it is hugely unfair to try to stop people from using the beach. If I were a resort manager I would be advising my customers to only cycle on the beach right now. There are just too many idiots out there driving drunk, speeding or who just dont know how to drive.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 10:27 PM

What is the island speed limit?
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 10:28 PM

10 MPH in the village...15 MPH elsewhere

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/15/08 11:31 PM

The motor cycles coming from Capricorn get up to 30 or more when they pass on the beach in front of my dive shop the speed limit must not apply on the beach.
One of their employees on a red one just went by in excess of that.
no lic.plate ,how does every one get away w/o plates?
there must be a sleeping policeman fo real at the bridge.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/16/08 12:30 AM

I have spent 6K+ on the road behind my place. It is beyond irritating to me to see 10+ motorcycles a day and now also golf carts and the very annoying segway smart-asses the other day who couldn't care less about the ambience and safety of our beaches. If the town board would allow it (which I believe they won't), I would happliy pay the cost of barrieres on the beach on either side of our neighborhood, blocking all access for those unlicensed and uninsured motorcycles etc.
Posted By: Portofino

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/16/08 02:03 AM

Just checked the list of members (that have paid so far) of the Chamber, between the very many private persons I noticed "Segway of Belize $250", so the gringo male might be right.

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
Another rider, a gringo male, began to argue his case ---- he claims that he understands vehicle ordinances, but that "everywhere in the world we get Segway's exempted from the definition of a vehicle"........ and then annoucned that the Chamber of Commerce fully supports their beach tours.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/16/08 03:56 AM

By the time Grand Caribe opens, bicycles won't be passing on the beach in this area. If anyone wishes to work with us please contact me. We will block our area of the beach even sooner than "opening" day if others in the area want.

I know that Mike Hancock does not want bicycles on the beach and I would imagine that the Yoga resort about to open would want bicycles off the beach too. Mike has had his grandchildren and other members of his family knocked down by bicyclists.

We have purchased a small pull type road grader and will do our best to maintain the road from GC to about Sweet Basil. Looking forward to support from the community in regards to fuel, repairs, etc.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/16/08 03:56 PM

The Chamber of Commerce seems to line up on the opposition side with me in a lot of issues, I keep forgetting they are for commerce... daaaa.
The concerns of the people that live here and the Environment always seem to take a back seat to commerce, I wonder how many people that are members are actually Belizean?

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/16/08 05:34 PM

Frankly I think that for Belize, the Environment IS commerce and that is the main hope we have for preserving the environment.
Take care of the environment and it takes care of you --- that is the message I think.
That message is what Alan Rabinowitz (of WCS) successfully preached to the wild game hunters in Belize when turning around their views on killing jaguars. In the end one of the main hunters turned into an environmentalist and helped start the Jaguar Reserve.
So I think we need to pull together on this and realize that Belize has one main product - nature. The day we trash that product, we have lost any edge in the marketplace we might have had.
A swamp is a swamp unless it's a "pristine wetland ecosystem" and then it's a cash-register if properly managed. THAT my friends is win-win.

Also - I doubt that CC would endorse violation of law and degradation of the environment as a sound and attractive business plan.

Re: Motorcycles etc. on the beach North - 02/16/08 07:22 PM

I wouldn't disagree with most of that but A Dredging search of this board will get you info on the CC endorsing that activity for commerce.
Or this boating issue , its for business and not concern with filling the waters with boaters that hurt the peoples interest and the environment
thats the kind of thing i mean they aren't for the people or the environment they are for business and development.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board