AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Timeshare Salesmen - 02/15/08 08:27 PM
today from the Chamber of Commerce...
Members brought up personal experiences this week of being accosted by timeshare sales personnel in the street. One Member described getting cut off and stopped by a golfcart, and when told that they should be at their designated booth area, were not very nice. Tom offered to contact the offending resort (who has been very cooperative in the past), and correct the problem.

Posted By: Belize-N-Us Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/15/08 08:40 PM
The intials BB come to mind.
Posted By: JeanH Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/15/08 09:26 PM
Although we haven't been 'cut off' or anything the vast majority of time share folks that we've encountered have been from Reef Village. They pull their golf carts up to close to the beach and try to stop anyone walking by. They take 'no' for an answer pretty well, but I thought they were supposed to stay in their designated booths.
Posted By: deadserious Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/15/08 11:32 PM
Reef Village is selling as timeshares now? I thought they were straight up condos.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/16/08 02:14 AM
That's where many of the BB team went.
Posted By: 6string Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/16/08 04:21 PM
The timeshare sellers we ran into were'nt too bad, tho I can see this practice escalating into something more than just an annoyance. After about the 3rd encounter in as many hours on the beach, I found myself saying "no thanks" before they even started talking. A couple of them tho would persist and I found myself telling them that time shares are a rip off, and I would be happy to come back to their resort and tell their bosses that, after my free cocktail.... then they go away.
Posted By: DANZA Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/16/08 04:42 PM
We just returned from a month on AC and the only real pains were the reef village salespeople. They claimed it was just an open house and didn't like the term time share. Although I'm sure that is exactly what they were peddling. On the other hand I often stop and say HI to chito by central park at the Capt. Morgans booth.
He is always polite, even though he knows I'm not buying a time share.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/16/08 04:57 PM
Timeshare agents earn (for San Pedro) indecent amounts of money, so they're highly motivated. Any potential buyers should ask themselves whose pockets those large incomes ultimately come from.
Posted By: DANZA Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/16/08 05:30 PM
I know in Cabo, MX a guy who seemed to be in the know claimed they had 500 US to work with. They could split the 500 up however to entice people in. Some were giving as much as 300 to get you in so keeping 200 for themselves. One of the tourist where we were staying claimed to make 700 just the day before. Still not my idea of a vacation. But yes the buyers are funding all of that. Although I'm not sure what the numbers are for AC.
But I would suspect a big bonus for the person sending an actual buyer.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/18/08 05:27 AM
There should be a law..."no timeshare salesmen can chase tourist with luggage for more than 100 yards".
Posted By: J DOG Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/18/08 01:54 PM
I've found a firm NO & a quick walkaway, then ignore them if they persist works. If you start asking questions they won't let up,or if you fall for the free stuff for ONLY 2 HRS. of your time, you are asking for harassment.
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/18/08 05:44 PM
Looks like it works:

New U.S. Timeshare Sales Top $10 Billion in 2006,
According to Ernst & Young Study

Sales climb 81% over five years; 4.4 million households own timeshare

(Washington, June 11, 2007)-Timeshare sales climbed 16 percent during 2006 to $10 billion over 2005 sales of $8.6 billion, according to a study of the U.S. vacation ownership industry conducted by Ernst & Young, LLP and released today by the ARDA International Foundation (AIF). The survey of 625 timeshare resorts throughout the country shows robust growth over a five-year period, with sales up 81 percent and average resort size growth of 32 percent.

As of January 1, 2007, there were 1,615 vacation ownership resorts operating in the U.S. There are a total of 4.4 million U.S. timeshare owners, up from 4.1 million in 2005, 3.87 million in 2004, 3.4 million in 2003, and three million in 2002.

"The steady, impressive growth in the timeshare sector is a direct indication of strong consumer satisfaction and demand, underscoring that vacation ownership is fast becoming the preferred travel choice of today and in the future," said Howard Nusbaum, president and chief executive officer of ARDA.

[Linked Image] Image

Source: State of the Vacation Timeshare Industry: United States Study 2007, prepared by Ernest & Young for ARDA International Foundation

The number of timeshare units in the U.S., as of January 1, 2007 was 176,232, with 14,000 newly constructed units in 2006. Looking ahead, study respondents predict continued growth as they continue to build new resorts, including approximately 11,000 new units forecast for 2007 and firm commitments for approximately 47,000 new units in 2008 and beyond.

Occupancy at U.S. timeshare resorts averaged 80.9 percent in 2006, including over 67 percent who were either owners or exchange guests and more than 13 percent who were renters and/or marketing guests. By comparison, occupancy at U.S. hotels was 63.4 percent in 2006.

Florida continues to lead the nation with the most resorts and the greatest sales volume, with 23 percent of the nation's resorts, followed by California (eight percent) and South Carolina (seven percent). The remaining states, grouped in regions , reported the following representation of U.S. resorts: Mountain (17 percent); Northeast (11 percent); Pacific (nine percent); South Central (nine percent); and the Midwest and South Atlantic (both eight percent).

Beach resorts remain the most common primary designation of resorts (23.9 percent), and country/lake resorts second (15.4 percent). Golf (9.7 percent) is the amenity most often available nearby and/or on-site.

Two-bedroom units represent the most common size (63 percent), followed by one-bedroom (22 percent), three-bedroom or larger (nine percent), and studios (less than six percent). The average price of a timeshare interval or points equivalent in 2006 was $18,502.

As vacation exchange remains one of the most popular characteristics of timeshare, all responding resorts reported an affiliation with some exchange program, with 96 percent affiliated with one or both of the two major exchange companies, RCI and Interval International, and 24 percent of resorts reporting a self-administered program, generally in addition to the exchange company affiliation.

Resorts have added sophistication to the way owners can buy timeshare intervals. Just over half (51 percent) still offer a traditional weekly interval, while 49 percent offer some form of points-based product, and 31 percent offer biennials. To further increase flexibility, many resorts make special programs available: 28 percent allow conversions from fixed intervals (the same week every year) to floating intervals (owners can select different weeks from year to year); 53 percent offer conversions from weekly intervals to points-based equivalents; 46 percent offer an upgrade program; and 71 percent offer a sampler or trial membership.

Study Methodology
The study results are based on the survey questionnaire responses of 625 timeshare resorts of the 1,615 resorts identified, representing 39 percent of existing timeshare resorts in the U.S. Of these 625 resorts, 551 belong to a family of five or more resorts, while 74 belong to a family of less than five resorts. Of these, 74, 68 were single-site developers. The response rate of 39 percent is well above the current typical response rate for industry surveys of this type. The list of timeshare resorts is maintained and was provided by AIF and Mobius Vendor Partners.

About AIF and ARDA
The ARDA International Foundation (AIF) conducts research and develops education programming for the timeshare industry. ARDA is the Washington D.C.-based professional association representing the vacation ownership and resort development industries. Established in 1969, ARDA today has over 1,000 members ranging from privately held firms to publicly traded companies and international corporations with expertise in shared ownership interests in leisure real estate. The membership also includes timeshare owner associations (HOAs), resort management companies, and owners through the ARDA Resort Owners Coalition (ARDA-ROC).
Posted By: buzzbean Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/18/08 06:16 PM
This is my greatest irritation in the changes I've seen in the past several years of coming to the island. My first trip over five years ago was calm and quiet. I loved the fact that I wasn't being sold to constantly. The only unwanted approach was from one guy asking if I wanted to buy drugs. It only happened once so it didn't bother me.

My last trip down, I was approached constantly by people "inviting" me to the north side of the island. They'd ask if I've been invited to the north side of the island and I'd say "Yes." I guess they wanted to confirm I wasn't lying so they'd ask if I'd gotten my free gift. This would happen about every 5-10 minutes walking down the beach near town and not quite as often on the road.

That is a major reason I am looking for another place to vacation.
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/18/08 06:27 PM
Albeit, things are changing and the "roaming" of these agents has slowed down, drastically, compared to a couple years back. Slowly this type of marketing will be phased out as it is now illegal. No need to get your drawers in a bunch folks. Most of these agents are local born Belizeans. They hear "no" a lot and are used to it. I find folks that spend a few minutes talking to them (while rejecting their offer) will make a local friend here on the island (while wasting their time).
Posted By: Scuba do Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/18/08 06:31 PM
We have been here a month, in town everyday, and are only ask once or twice a week. A polite "not interested" works good.It could be that they recognize us and save their breath. I am sure buzzbean's report is accurate,but haven't seen anything close to that happening to anyone.
Posted By: TIMO Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/18/08 06:47 PM
i was just down the beginning of this month and i found the ts salesmen to be more obnoxious than usual. was hit up pretty much every day multiple times in various locations. one aggressive dude actually pulled his golfcart onto the sidewalk to deliver his spiel and blocked me from passing. another had stopped some tourists on a golf cart right in the middle of the road, and had traffic backed up as he made his pitch. also the offers for pot were at an all time high. had two bold fellows yelling their offers across the street right in the middle of town in the middle of the day.

it is probably my own fault though, as i do a lot of walking around town and up and down the beach.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/18/08 08:36 PM
Manoman, this like never happens to me.
Posted By: elbert Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/18/08 08:45 PM
What is this saying about you travel queen?
:-)
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/18/08 09:03 PM
That I must look either poor or unapproachable! lol
Posted By: elbert Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/18/08 09:08 PM
Prob. they are stunned by your good looks and forgot to say something about time share.
;-)
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/18/08 09:12 PM
Why thank ya wink
Posted By: BamaB's Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/18/08 09:21 PM
Maybe it's the "DEA" ballcap...
Posted By: SimonB Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/19/08 01:56 AM
From my understanding they only hit on couples, try trolling for them with a guy in tow and see what u get. Elbert does have a very valid point though!
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/19/08 03:22 AM
Real Estate Agents support time share salesmen...they need someone to look down on cool
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/19/08 04:23 PM
No, not really, I just know a lot of the nice local folks in this industry and I enjoy seeing them make a living and support their families here on the ever increasingly expensive Ambergris Caye (even if a bit over zealous). I do tend to look down on those who judge the locals while being a guest in their country. ??
Posted By: elbert Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/19/08 04:27 PM
Hea Bill I've missed you and you attitude welcome back.
Posted By: elbert Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/19/08 04:31 PM
Locals don't sell time share . the worst kind of temporary workers sell time share . they don't have any concern for the island or its people just the commission and then go back to where ever time share sales people lurk while waiting for the next caper.
Posted By: Hon Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/19/08 04:40 PM
Nothing local about the 'nice' folks who agressivly accosted me at least 4 times a day. There was a Scottish guy, British guy (who I actually had to yell at (very, very rare believe me) to get to back off), East Indian or Pakistani guy, two American girls and two Scandinavian girls.

The local guys (I've never come across a local woman selling timeshares) IME, tend to stay in or near the booths in Central Park.

Posted By: LaraTravelBelize Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/19/08 05:10 PM
ok boys and girls...here i go....

first, if anyone has ever travelled to any caribbean location, it would be MORE than fair to say that the san pedro time share people are among the most polite i've ever seen...and i have spent a lot of time around many different islands in the caribbean. they DO take no for an answer, and they DO respond to politeness with politeness. As very well stated above...if you are nice to them when they approach, they will become some of the best friends and contacts on this island. If you need a boat trip in a hurry, they can help. you need to find someone, just ask them...they'll help you. you want to eat somewhere and have trouble with a reservation? just ask one to help you...they will. Only a fool would turn down such an amazing and FREE (hell, if you play it right they'll pay you!) conceirge service!

As with ANYTHING IN LIFE, it is completely unfair to make statements about the "indecent" amount of money. Frankly, wihtout those time shares and condos that you rent in those very same time share locations, there wouldnt be the building, the infastructure, the job creation, the road, the school, etc. It is a full circle folks, and we need to realize it. The "Indecent" amount of money they make...well, seems a completely ridiculous statement when you consider that they MIGHT in high season make some money, and in low season? trust me...indecent is relative.

also, lets not be so quick to paint dozens and dozens of people with the same brush.

further, as SIN said, this is a job for which MANY MANY BELIZEANS make a reasonable salary. THey are doing their job, just like any salesperson does.

i guess i only ask that we stop attacking my friends. I have personally witnessed some of the most outrageous acts of rudeness, crashness, and just plain ugliness from the TOURIST to the timeshare person. I have seen people get approached by a TS Person, and before the TS person could open their mouths, they are cursed and screamed at by some clearly deeply offended tourist...about whom does this say more? and about what?

obviously, if there is someone who is rude to the tourist, cuts them off or attempts to cause a disturbance, sure, we should be able to report and address. duh.

hell, i've have tourists be damn rude to me for saying HELLO cause they thought i was trying to sell 'em something! is it possible that these folks are creating their own miserable reality? looking for a negative and therefore finding one?

dudes...its belize. chill. say no...walk away...be nice. no reason ruin your vacation.

if you dont wanna stay here anymore cause of the salespeople...Caye Caulker is lovely...as is the north and south of the island. no TS people where i live...so, maybe, we couild all open our minds a little more, stop bitching about sh%$ that doesnt matter, and remember that we are all just here to have as good a time as we can.

~~~climbing off soap box now~~~
Posted By: elbert Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/19/08 06:53 PM
so....
your saying 'poor time share people Tourist are being rude to them.'
Were a fool to turn down their' amazing free offer'.
They just want to be friendly.
we should move to caye caulker to avoid them.
and keep an open mind

Posted By: LaraTravelBelize Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/19/08 06:56 PM
nope. not what i'm saying. cant speak to what you hear though.
Posted By: weile Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/19/08 07:24 PM
Just replace the existing "tourist information" signs at the time share booths with "time share information" signs. That would be the honest thing to do, and it would make it much easier for the (sometimes naive) tourist to decide whether they want the info or not.
Selling time share is no worse than selling anything else. It is the time share companies themselves that make it a shady trade by feeling that they have to hide behind more respectable names like "tourist information", thus tricking people into a situation that they were not looking for.
Posted By: kris48 Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/19/08 07:31 PM
Compared to some of the other islands of the world, the time share salesmen on Ambergris are extremely tame. Have never had a problem with a "no, thanks" and a smile. Last time on Grand Bahama, within 15 minutes on the beach had 4 people trying to sell stuff. Very pushy, in your face, and would not take no for an answer. Won't go back there.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/19/08 07:33 PM
I visit SP 3-4 times a year. Guess Im just lucky but I have never been approached by any TS people (checking deodorant)However, P1 can be a problem at times.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/19/08 07:41 PM
I've had a very uptight English lady haranguing me for what I said and (partly) for what someone else said. She seemed to think I was accusing the Banyan Bay timeshare people of behaving badly.

I actually never said that, nor do I think it. I am aware of no hassling that has been done by anyone either now working at Banyan Bay or those who moved a few months ago to Reef Village. All of the bad behaviour that I have witnessed has come from people working for a different business at another timeshare location.

My views on timeshare selling haven't changed, but that is in no way intended as any form of criticism of individuals engaged in the business, many of whom I know and like.

On money, for their capital employed and the hours they work compared with most other people on the island they do indeed make enormous sums of money. Sure they have lean times, but doesn't everyone here?

By the way Hon, the last time I checked a Scot was also British. Perhaps you meant English?
Posted By: Hon Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/21/08 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by pedro2

By the way Hon, the last time I checked a Scot was also British. Perhaps you meant English?

I live in Bruce County, very close to the town of Kincardine which has a deep Scottish heritage. I have been to more Burns night celebrations, pipe band parades (we have one every Saturday night in summer) and Scottish festivals than I can remember. I know literally thousands of first and second generation Scots, none of whom would respond kindly to being called British. ...not that there is anything wrong with being British smile
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/22/08 12:06 AM
Local has nothing to do with where you were born. 90% of the folks working in this industry are locals, who live, work, vote and many own property here. Perhaps the other 10% are just a bit more vocal.
Posted By: inkblot Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/22/08 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by Hon

I know literally thousands of first and second generation Scots, none of whom would respond kindly to being called British. ...not that there is anything wrong with being British smile

Tough noogies!
The photo page of the passports of these Scottish naysayers will have 'British Citizen' listed under nationality.
It also says 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' on the front - no mention of 'Scotland', 'England' or 'Wales'...
Posted By: elbert Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/22/08 03:11 PM
from the min.'s of the Chamber of Commerce Meeting,"
Last week Members brought up personal experiences this week of being accosted by timeshare sales personnel in the street. Tom met with the owner of resort and assurances were given that this would be resolved. The Chamber was thanked for bringing it to their attention. This resort has always been cooperative, and is one of the few that actually provide booths for their sales personnel. This will be dealt with."
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/22/08 04:58 PM
The strong arm of the Chamber of Commerce again saves San Pedro from the wretched grasps of the evil timeshare empire.
Posted By: elbert Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/22/08 05:08 PM
:-)
sometimes were on the same page SIN
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/23/08 11:32 PM
Like the infamous cut and run former "Basil Jones" timeshare project...there is usually a foreign national at the top of the timeshare pyramid. The "sales personnel" that's the object of this threads scorn/rationalization are merely under supervised bird-dogs. Hopefully, the Town Council will vigorously pursue the new guidelines for this industry.
Posted By: islabonita Re: Timeshare Salesmen - 02/24/08 01:55 AM
When my dh and I were walking back to Corona del Mar via the street on our first full day in San Pedro we were stopped by 2 young brits ( Jayme & ??) who were very nice and offered an opportunity to win something from their envelope.
Now we have been to several timeshare presentations and even though we swore not to get hooked on one it was hard to resist.
I selected a gift certificate for $50 and hubby the top prize a 7 night freebie at any of their other resorts.
We knew there was a sales pitch once we got to the Reef Village
they were very persuasive in a nice way saying that they would each win $100 US for bringing us in.
We got the free ride up and back and after getting our free pina coladas and a tour of the place we told "George" we were not interested and only there for the freebies..
So we used our freebie to get a golf cart for an entire day from The Lime across Tropic Air
and even though we have to pay a $149 pp fee to use the 7 night voucher we are going to go through with it and request to go to Grand Cayman next year.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board