AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Mayan Ruin day trip tour?

Posted By: BamaB's

Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/23/08 04:54 AM

What's the best Mayan ruin day trip tour to take from Ambergris Caye? We don't want to fly, prefer to ride on a boat!
Posted By: seaexplore

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/23/08 04:59 AM

uh- my sis and her guy went to Lamanai but they said that the overnight to Tikal was really good and they enjoyed it more than Lamanai.

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/23/08 05:07 PM

I think I'm going to do some shots after I get there..........
Posted By: AKloon

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/23/08 05:40 PM

We just took the Lamanai tour by boat with Searious Adventures. What a great trip and the guides knew just about everything about Belize. We saw lots of wild life and they fed us breakfast and lunch and kept us hydrated with water, soda, beer and rum punch! Well worth it and I'll do it again the next time we have visitors.
Posted By: clone3309

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/24/08 04:14 AM

Lamanai with Tanisha Tours, our tour guide was Danial. Without a doubt one of the hilights of our AC trip! Tanisha was also very conscious of the safety of his customers while boating through the mangroves.

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/24/08 05:59 AM

Thanks! Has anyone had any experience with Excalibur tours? They seem to have really good rates.
Posted By: JeanH

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/24/08 03:37 PM

I've never heard a thing about Excalibur, but when comparing rates, make sure they're offerring the same things as Tanisha (my favorite) or Searious (who offer a similar trip).

Tanisha includes a light breakfast, lunch, soft drinks, then excellent rum punch and beer on the way back.

Tanisha even had rain slickers for everyone the time I went when it rained while at the ruins.

You really want a guide who is very familiar with the area and knows where all the birds and animals live.

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/24/08 05:45 PM

Thanks! Your right, lunch was not included and they never mentioned rum punch. We'll look at Tanisha tours. smile
Posted By: Kgryfon

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/25/08 06:34 AM

How much would one of these tours cost PP approx if you get one with lunch, rum punch, etc.?
Posted By: JeanH

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/25/08 01:21 PM

I paid US$135.00 last year, that includes a 10% cash discount.
Posted By: Kgryfon

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/26/08 06:00 AM

Great - thanks Jean!
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/26/08 02:17 PM

you people (newbies) all have to work harder here - if you wnat info - it is readily and easily available by searches here or on google. most of your questions can be answered with a google search.

try this link - there is even a link to a virtual lamanai tour:

http://tanishatours.com/
Posted By: TacoBoy

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/26/08 02:23 PM

don't forget seaduced by belize either. everyone i know that has gone with them has been very happy.

www.seaducedbybelize.com

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/26/08 08:05 PM

Jane, it's opinions & advice we're looking for, the slick web page advertisements don't always tell the whole story. Sometimes internet advice isn't much better, but for us first-timers, it's all we got!!

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/26/08 08:44 PM

bama - i hear ya -

i sent you the link cuz it showed what the trip was like - i mentioned doing a search on this site cuz the same question has been asked, and answered, many times.

we used seaduced to altun ha - and they were pretty good (but could have been more informative). we got very high recommendations by friends for tanisha so we booked them for lamanai- but only made it half-way before the sky opened up and we returned to AC. (a reason to return!) the nunezes could not have been nicer or easier to work with. they are not glitzy, they are very down-to-earth folks.

i cannot remember anyone having a bad experience with any tour operators to the mainland.

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/26/08 09:56 PM

Actually, we asked this wondering whether Altun Ha was better than the Lamanai trip for instance, but the best tour operator does naturally follow. We're leaning toward the Alton Ha trip with Searious Adventures right now, maybe for a snorkel trip as well.
Posted By: AlJ

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/26/08 10:39 PM

I think Lamanai is a better tour, myself. Nice ride up the river too. We went to Altun Ha by van so I don't know what the boat ride would have been like.
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/26/08 10:43 PM

If you only have time for one trip and have never been before, Lamanai is by far the better site. There is much more to see in terms of ruins, there is a small museum on the grounds, and it gives a more comprehensive overall picture of Mayan history. The trip to Lamanai is also very enjoyable. Altun Ha is a good second choice, but most definitely second!

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/26/08 11:24 PM

Lamanai is better? our logic was that it was farther away, so you spent more time traveling & less time "ruining".....

See, That's why we ask questions!

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/26/08 11:31 PM

bama - check your messages (under 'my stuff', above)
Posted By: elbert

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/26/08 11:34 PM

For me the fun is in the journey on the lamanai trip.
http://bubbasbirdblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/lamanai-for-birds.html
Posted By: debbief

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/27/08 02:23 AM

We did a combination day trip to the ruins at Xunantunich and zip-lining with Tuff E Nuff. We traveled by boat to the mainland, then by van to the ruins. It was a wonderful day. You can see my son's video of the ruins at www.vimeo.com/691807.
Posted By: RMT

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/27/08 04:50 AM

Lamanai is a wonderful trip, we've done it three times using Searious. You won't be dissapointed. I second what Elbert says about the journey. Have fun.

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 02/27/08 05:06 AM

Thank you all for your thoughts & comments!
Posted By: jenni sharp

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 03/05/08 03:34 AM

i dont think tropic is doing the fly to tikal trip anymore. lamanai is a wonderful trip. long ride there and back but worth it. bring a camera, u will see lots of birds and hopefully howler monkeys (see the photographs thread)
jen

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 03/12/08 04:03 PM

Just to update, we did the Lamanai trip with Searious, Giovanni was an outstanding guide who seemed to know just about everything about Belize, kept us entertained the entire day and kept the rum punch flowing as long as we could stand it. I would recommend he run for Mayor.....
Posted By: ShellKing

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 03/25/08 05:24 AM

Great advice. But I have one more question -- can these tours be booked once we are on AC? Or should it be done ahead of time? Thanks!

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 03/25/08 04:23 PM

usually you can book while there, yes. some/most require at least 4 people to go, some only go to lamanai certain days of the week - they may be the only foreseeable problems.
Posted By: ShellKing

Re: Mayan Ruin day trip tour? - 03/25/08 06:13 PM

thanks sweetjane!
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board