AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: HB Glen getting money in san pedro - 03/05/08 07:26 AM
I have read some other posts on the subject but I need some help from frequent visitors or current residents. I have a ATM/Debit card that has a PIN for my my bank, Washington Mutual here in California. This allows me to go to the ATM and get cash.
It also has Mastercard that allows me to "Charge" with merchants that take Mastercard. The charge is a Debit and comes out of my account within a few days.

My question is... I do not want at anytime to carry more than about $200.00 US dollars but need to be able to go to the ATM and get cash daily or so. Do the ATM machines give US or Belize dollars?

Also can I get cash at the bank against my card by going into the bank?

Is it better to carry US dollars or Belize Dollars?

Information is appreciated.
I just do not want to get there and run out of cash even though I have funds available.
Posted By: deadserious Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/05/08 07:33 AM
ATM Machines give Belize dollars. I've never tried to get a cash advance.

I often use credit cards for hotel, rental, excursions and expensive meals. Cash for everything else. It doesn't matter if you have USD or Belize if you know how to divide by 2. I generally bring a good amount of USD as backup but get belize dollars while I'm there, usually from an ATM. I can multiply, but not so good with the division, so it's just easier. wink I usually bring home a lot of the USD that I brought with me.

Posted By: suecate Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/05/08 01:14 PM
I was able to get money at the bank from my credit card. Our saving account (credit union) debit card did not work. The Debit cards with the visa/mastercard logo's do work.

When I got a cash advance I did get some US dollars for the exit fee but they do charge a minimum fee.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/05/08 03:42 PM
And waiting in line at the bank for the cash advance can be a lengthy process. The departure tax people now accept credit cards as well. Personally I would bring a bit more cash and not rely on the ATM for daily withdrawls. They have been known to run out of money and do not work if there is a power outage which happens fairly frequently.
Posted By: colomojo Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/05/08 03:53 PM
Check and see if you have a safe in your room/condo - that may give you more peace of mind. Seems like cash is the way to go besides excursions, golf cart rental, restaurants etc...Sounds like the ATM may become a hassle if you are depending on it daily.
Posted By: jenni sharp Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/05/08 04:28 PM
Keep in mind if you use your ATM to get cash here, your bank back home will charge you a foreign exchange conversion fee. Usually 3-5%. Check with you bank at home to make sure.
Posted By: mrockl Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/05/08 10:38 PM
I say take as much cash as you think you'll spend and stick the excess in the hotel safe. Saves lots of hassles w/ banks and ATMs and avoids fees as well. I've only been on the island twice, but I have found very good reception for US dollars. I saved over $100 (25%) on my diving by asking about the price if paid in US cash. I think that most places are open to this kind of deal - this aint the US with fixed price tags on everything and hard currency is always a good thing...
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/05/08 11:51 PM
Travellers cheques are a good option too - preferably $20 & $50 denominations, and a few $100 for tours and trips.

I think you can go inside the bank and get cash advances over the counter.
Posted By: Chloe Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/06/08 12:22 AM
Travelers Cheques $100 best, and stop at a bank daily to cash into BZ dollars. IMHO

You will need your passport and/or passport number to cash Travelers Cheques.

The $20 and $50, too much time buying/signing, and cashing too often. IMHO
Posted By: CaseWork Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/06/08 12:54 AM
HB Glen,

My husband and I have travelled to AC San Pedro many times and will be moving there this summer. Jenni Sharp is "sharp" in more ways than simply her name. If you plan to travel with minimal cash and make frequent trips to the ATM, check with your card holder in advance as they often charge a foreign exchange fee. If your card does not charge (or agrees to waive) the fee, I would put most all expenses on your card. This makes life simple and provides an easy way to tally the cost of your trip when you return. That being said, I think I would recommend you take a bit more than $200 with you. Depending on where you are staying a trek into town every day might not be what you want to be doing to obtain cash. Most importantly - have a wonderful time!
Posted By: suecate Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/06/08 01:29 AM
Make sure you call your credit card company as we had ours shut off the 1st time we were in SP within 2 days for "unusual activity" of course they called the house so we did not know until we tried to pay the dive shop. Thankfully we travel with more than 1 for just such occassions. (I loved mine worked and my husbands was shut off.)
Posted By: HB Glen Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/06/08 03:42 AM
small fees are not a problem and since I plan to have fun and spend, money is not a problem. I just do not want to carry $2,000 cash around all the time. The 4 of us rented a house north of SP so no safe that I know of.
Just so not want to be cut off by credit card company or not be able to get cash from checking account back in the U.S.
Thanks
Posted By: HB Glen Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/06/08 04:03 AM
called bank with all the information you all gave above and put a travel alert on the card so they know i am out of the country. also gave them a local SP phone number that I could be contacted at. They also gave me my daily atm maximum i can get and also daily cash directly from the bank. both amounts are way more than i need so looks like all will be Ok.
More fun to come!!!!!!

Thanks again all
Posted By: jenni sharp Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/06/08 10:13 PM
going to the bank is a hassel and most are closed by 2 or 2:30 pm anyway and closed on the weekends. almost everywhere will take travelers check as long as your passport number is on the back and you dont make it out to anyone. (makes it easier for the business to cash). Everywhere and everyone will take US dollars!!!!
Posted By: SP Daily Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/06/08 10:32 PM
Belize Bank Hours:
Mon.- Thur.- 8 to 3
Fri.- 8 to 4:30
Sat.- 9 to 12
Posted By: margarita Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/07/08 05:24 PM
IMO Travelers Cheques $100 for hotel & excursions (=$200Bz)
$50 & $20's for food, fun, & shopping. Most stores & restaurants will cash them for you with your passport -giving Belize $ change.

I always save some small US$ bills for the return home, and on my last day I ask for US change if possible, and I usually get it. I only went to the bank when I needed to access my bank account$.
Posted By: seashell Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/08/08 08:39 AM
Sigh . .when I first read the thread title, I was thinking "yes, if only I could get money in San Pedro, then I could just stay there". wink
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/08/08 03:53 PM
Sounds like you have your questions answered - now bring your money and spend spend spend!

Enjoy your visit.
Posted By: cherylvalentine Re: getting money in san pedro - 03/09/08 09:43 AM
When I was down there last oct. I used my ATM card everywhere either to get money from an ATM or at a restaurant for dinner. I never had a problem with them at all I did however make sure I had a least two hundred or so on me at most times just in case. as long as you have a visa or master card logo on your card you should be fine
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board