AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Amigos Del Mar up and running?

Posted By: AZW

Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/17/08 11:10 PM

I ran across an article on the web that I could not access, but the title of the article was ”Fire Sinks Amigos Del Mar’s Dive Boat” and it was dated 2/08. We are planning to dive with Amigos when we get down there next week. Can anyone tell me if they are up and running?

AZ Wayne
Posted By: *I Do* Belize Weddings

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 12:05 AM

Yes, they are and all is well. You may reach them at
011-501-226-2706
[email protected]

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 12:15 AM

Thanks!
Posted By: weile

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 12:35 AM

Amigos del Mar is great. You cannot go wrong with those guys. One of the oldest (if not the oldest) established dive operations on the island and great guys.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 02:33 AM

I was just diving with them a couple of weeks ago, as I have been doing a number of times a year, since 1999. They've got more than one boat. smile

Though I do look forward to the day that they replace the Miss Mel. I'm spoiled now and don't want to go out to the Atolls and Blue Hole on anything smaller, especially a boat that doesn't have a head.
Posted By: beachbumin

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 03:24 PM

Unfortunately as of last week Amigos still did not have an adequate boat to travel to the Blue Hole. Had a miserable ride in a 35 or so foot open bow boat. The slamming on the waves, particularly for the unfortunates in the front of the boat and several older divers, was over the edge. On the other hand, once arrived the Amigos guys did their regular superb job. Great lunch on Half Moon Caye, so good in fact several of the dive staff from a competiors group came over to eat the Amigos lunch! My suggestion is that anyone making the Blue Hole trip, confirm what type of equipment is being used, and if it is not one of the larger boats, don't go.
Posted By: elbert

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 03:43 PM

I'm a dive shop and I use Amigos exclusively for the Blue Hole and Turneffe.
I trust them and their good judgment on when not to go out in bad weather. I've dove with them 20 years.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 03:47 PM

Amigos are very much alive and operating, but only with smaller boats. Today for example conditions are very rough, and the only boats on the island able to go out are the three bigger boats operated by AquaDives.

The oldest dive centre operating on the island is Bottom Time, by a fair margin.
Posted By: elbert

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 04:15 PM

Peter your due an Island dive history lesson when i have the time I'll buy you a beer and tell you some tales.

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 05:20 PM

Gents,
This has been a very useful bunch of information. Given the opportunity (next week), I'll buy you all a beer!

Thanks!

AZ Wayne
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 05:56 PM

Good. I drink rum n' coke so have one ready! laugh

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 05:57 PM

I've heard only excellent reports on Amigo's. You're going with a great company!
Posted By: shuffles

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 08:06 PM

We send our guests to Amigos for Blue Hole and Turneffe dives. We wouldnt keep sending them if they weren't any good, trust me.
Posted By: swanno

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 09:33 PM

We get down to SP about 4/5 times a year and have probably done at least 200 dives with Amigos over the past 4 years. Never had a problem, great friendly people and Changa runs a very professional outfit. We always dive on Rene and Tony's boat and cannot recommend them high enough.
Looking forward to our next trip in April

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 10:32 PM

Well, looks like I owe quite a few folks a drink! We'll be at Cannuck's on the 31st. Identify yourself with the password "scuttlebutt" and I'll buy you a round!

AZ Wayne
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 10:38 PM

I'm on my way to Canuck's Happy Hour right now...I'll put up a poster announcing your kind offer...and the password.
You're gonna have lots of friends!
Posted By: PalapaBob

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 10:47 PM

I'll predict there will be a lot of scuttlebutt at CC's the end of the month!

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 10:49 PM

AZW, where you gonna be on the 30th? I'll drain that beverage fund way before Mon! :P
Posted By: margarita

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/18/08 11:07 PM

Amigos Del Mar did an awesome job on our night dive/snorkel at Hol Chan! Would recommend it to anyone who hasn't been drinking!
Belize it!
Posted By: seashell

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/19/08 12:46 AM

Like I said, I used to go to the Blue Hole with Amigos del Mar in the very style of boat described by beachbumin. Some days it was a bit rough of a trip, other days, it was just fine. Regardless, the service was superb and their lunch on Halfmoon Caye, can't be beat. I never regretted a trip out there yet, no matter the size of the boat.

I'm just spoiled now, that's all.

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/19/08 04:04 PM

Jesse,

Thank you so VERY MUCH!
All I can say is... "bring it on, bro!!"

AZ Wayne

Re: Amigos Del Mar up and running? - 03/19/08 04:05 PM

Travelqueen,

Hey! I'm the AC virgin, not you! You tell me where to be on the 30th!

AZW
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board