AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Michelada at BC's

Posted By: Jack-A-Roe

Michelada at BC's - 03/26/08 05:55 PM

We enjoyed a few of these at BC's over the Thanksgiving holiday. (And did need them!) Am wondering if Ernie would part with a recipe for the "base" they prepare to add to the Belekin over ice? Even a list of ingredients so that we could experiment. I know it would never taste as good as one drank sitting en palapa at BC's but it would sure bring back great memories!

Thanks, Bev and John
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/26/08 05:59 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelada

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink5334.html

google it, there are several sites.

'jack-a-roe' was an old song the dead used to perform....
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/26/08 06:44 PM

Totally agree - BC's are the best!! None of the "traditional" website recipe are even close - for one thing they don't call for Marie Sharps!
I watched and wrote down ingredients as Ernie made them once. I have the list at home and will try to remember to PM it to you.

Yummmmmmmm! smile
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/26/08 06:47 PM

They are an excellent way to get your beer for breakfast without the guilt!! grin
Posted By: Phil

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/26/08 07:27 PM

Similar to a Bloody Mary with Beer replacing the Vodka and Tomato Juice.

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/26/08 07:54 PM

they were just meant as a guideline...sheesh. just call me "can do no right".
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/26/08 07:55 PM

okay!! grin
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/26/08 08:19 PM

Do NOT try the Mexican one with Maggi. Had that in Chet, it's awful.

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/26/08 09:10 PM

Simon, what's Maggi? (I could look it up, but I'm feeling lazy! laugh )
there's no tomato juice in a michelada - and Janie, you really have to do something about that persecution complex, girl! All I was saying was the online recipes for a "traditional" michelada don't have the same ingredients as the ones made in Belize. The Mexican version is different. Plus, I know of a couple of things you do very well... wink laugh
Posted By: flip flop

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/26/08 10:06 PM

And a "chelada" is simply beer, ice, salt, and lots of lime juice. Right?

Depends where you're at in Mexico, too...sometimes a "michelada" is made like a "chelada" and vice-a-vera.

At least that's what I've personall experienced.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/27/08 12:27 AM

Maggi is a yeast based extract used to darken and flavour gravies. The Dutch seem to use it as ketchup.

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/27/08 12:35 AM

geez, Simon, that sounds disgusting!!! sick
Posted By: Canuck-Diver

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/27/08 12:49 AM

LA, it's really good in chicken noodle soup. It's kind of like soy sauce a bit.....
Posted By: PSUhorty

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/27/08 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Phil
Similar to a Bloody Mary with Beer replacing the Vodka and Tomato Juice.

Sooooo, then it's nothing like a bloody mary then, right?

Btw, props to Estel's for their bloody maries.
Posted By: BrusselSprout

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/27/08 03:27 AM

Juice of a lime, Lea & Perrins sauce, Seasoned Salt, a little pepper and salt, some Marie Sharps, ice and a Belikin. Delish.

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/27/08 02:44 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I did look at the links that LA posted and agree that they just didn't seem to click with what I saw assembled one morning at BC's. I think we'll just have to do some experimenting and make some notes. Sounds like a great plan this weekend! I'll post results. Keep the recipes coming.

Our sailboat is named Jack-A-Roe, after an old English song that the Dead covers. We race it in Chicago and Florida.
Posted By: Phil

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/27/08 03:11 PM

Exactly like a Bloody Mary, with the Vodka and Tomato Juice replaced with beer. For those that seem to struggle with that - Beer, Lime Juice, Seasoned salt, Pepper, Worcestershire Sauce and Marie Sharps.
Posted By: JeanH

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/27/08 03:20 PM

I've watched the bartenders mix up the dry ingredients at BC's, and there's way more 'stuff' that goes in there than seasoned salt and pepper.
Posted By: JZB

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/27/08 03:35 PM

celery salt? Gotta have celery salt in a bloody caesar! yum!

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/31/08 03:22 PM

Well, I tried out a version yesterday with what I had on hand. Tasted ok but needs some tweaking.

Fresh lime juice, equal parts salt and pepper, about half that of cayenne. Liberal dose of Lea & Perrins and a few splashes of Marie's. Think some season salt and/or celery salt would be in order. Used a Pacifico beer that was hanging around in the fridge.

Of course, drinking one on a cold and gray Chicago afternoon and sipping one en palapa at BC's could affect your taste buds! Thanks for all the repsonses.
Posted By: Cybercayecaulker.com

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/31/08 04:31 PM

Ernie definitely makes the best Michelada I've ever tasted. Its a drink and a meal in one.

Re: Michelada at BC's - 03/31/08 04:54 PM

i was thinking (yes, sometimes i do!) - ceviche is never the same here as it is there. i think the limes there taste different than here - better. therefore, duplication would be difficult, even with the right ingredients. then there's the 'the toes in the sand' factor that defies duplication where many of us live...
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Michelada at BC's - 04/01/08 04:19 PM

I went to a "beach party" at a local place here recently, with sand on the floor and everything. But the sand was way too COLD! ;-(
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board