AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Trash Bin Project

Posted By: Marty

Trash Bin Project - 04/05/08 05:47 PM

from the Chamber of Commerce...

Dr. Wil Lala accepted the challenge of being the Chairman of the Chamber’s committee to provide trash bins throughout the island. Dr. Lala has met with the Town to approve the type of receptacle, and has begun the ordering process.

The Town has agreed to provide $6,000 towards the project, the Chamber of Commerce at its Executive Board meeting approved donating $3,000, and the San Pedro Business Association will be meeting to consider a contribution of $3,000, which would complete the estimated $12,000 that Dr. Lala has determined needed to fund this project.

Plans are to construct 100 barrels with stands to be placed along the beach and roads. The wooden stands will be the framework that the Chamber used 4 years ago, but with bamboo added around the sides. Most of the bins will hold half-barrels (for easier lifting) and a wooden cover with a disposal slot.

These bins in Town Proper will be serviced by the Town Council. The containers will be available for purchase by resorts and individuals outside of Town, at an expected cost of $150 per unit. With community participation we are hoping to be able to get bins placed along the beaches and roads both North and South of town.

Anyone that would like to donate a receptacle to the Library, Schools, Parks, or any other worthy area is welcome to send their request and donation to the Chamber of Commerce.

Dr. Lala plans to order the materials, and Todd Beblow of Segway will provide delivery and transportation. Dr. Lala will then pre-cut and drill the frames. Once competed, we plan to have a volunteer “Construction Day” to assemble the bins.

We are asking that all resorts and businesses along the beach consider obtaining and servicing at least one in front of their resort. Private landowners are welcome to participate

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/05/08 06:11 PM

The prospect of these things being delivered by Segway is intriguing.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/05/08 06:13 PM

Todd has other vehicles.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/06/08 02:54 PM

Sounds like a good idea, Attractive useful bins with decent capacity, Unlike those smaller orange bins that are around town. And priced right to entice Resorts to purchase them also.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/07/08 01:01 AM

I'd sure like to see one on the beach corner of Fidos and Mayan.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/07/08 02:39 AM

$150 and its done!!!
Posted By: JeanH

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/07/08 12:38 PM

I'm curious as to who's going to empty these things. Obviously, if a resort owner buys one, they'll be responsible. But, how about the ones in town????
Posted By: dabunk

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/07/08 02:03 PM

Out around Spanish Lookout, BNE put up large trash barrels evrywhere. Witing to see how it works out for them, someone has to empty them when they get full, or someone staels the barrels themselves.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/08/08 04:24 AM

Jesse, I'll seriously consider it. However, I note that the write up says "any other worthy area is welcome to send their request and donation to the Chamber of Commerce". If I were to put up for my chosen spot, I'd like to be sure to see the receptacle there when next I'm in SP. Also, because of the location I'd like to see the receptacle, I'd have to consult with my friends at the Mayan to make sure they are on board. They have a lot of traffic to contend with at that particular beach corner. (which, of course, is why it's an ideal site for a receptacle, but perhaps not an ideal site for maintenance)

Posted By: oughwl

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/14/08 05:35 AM

Plastic garbage in our oceans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9N9uCI2dgs&feature
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/14/08 04:39 PM

Charlie that youtube piece was staggering. Thank you for sending.

I pick up garbage along the beach regularly. My unscientific observation shows that

the single most prevalant item is the plastic beverage bottle and or/the tops from them.

Other chronic bits that float up:
Shoes/shoe soles
glass bottles
shampoo and deodorant containers
Household stuff like tv,s, stands for fans, larger containers for gasoline, etc.
medical waste - hypo needles & the bottles in which the meds come

Posted By: oughwl

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/14/08 08:30 PM

Diane has taken it upon herself and done an admirable job of keeping the beaches in the Mata Grande area clean of debris and garbage, making sure that it makes its way to its proper destination in town. All at her own expense. I've read a great deal about cleaning up San Pedro and applaud the efforts being made. A regular, reasonably priced garbage collection service in the north would go a long way to help the island as a whole,I'd sign on.
Posted By: dolphin

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/15/08 04:12 PM

Presently the Town Council has committed to servicing these bins placed on the beach within "Town Proper", and along the roads from town to the South.

Bins placed on the beaches South of town will have to be maintained by the owner.

Across the bridge, both road and beach bins will have to be maintained by the owner, at least for now. We are working with the people that provide the trash pickup in the Tres Cocos area to see if those bins can be maintained.

Anyone interested in acquiring or donating a bin, please contact [email protected] as soon as possible.
Presently we are offering:

1) Whole barrel with no bamboo sides for $150
(These barrels only for only out-of-town or those that would like to add their on siding)

2) Half barrel with bamboo on 3 sides for $150

3) Half barrel with bamboo on 4 sides for $175

We appreciate your support,
Tom Vidrine
Chamber of Commerce

Posted By: CeeSF

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/15/08 06:50 PM

...has recycling made it out there yet?
Tree hugger, Cee

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/15/08 08:20 PM

Not in Belize or AC.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/15/08 10:49 PM

dabunk, You mean all those empty bottles I bring back to the Belikin dristributor get thrown out? I think not!!

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/15/08 11:34 PM

I stand corrected. In that sense certain glass bottles are reused. But as far as recyling of any other materials, glass, plastic, paper, etc, none. But you are correct, certain brands of beer and soda bottles are recycled/reused.
Posted By: pamkillen

Re: Trash Bin Project - 04/16/08 02:43 AM

One thing to remember in terms of garbage on the beach is that Belize does not have a Coast Guard to enforce no dumping laws for cruise ships. Much of the garbage that lands on our beaches is from the ships that dump outside the reef once they start heading north. They can not dump in Guatemala or Mexico or else they will be fined so they make sure they hit those countires with empty garbage holds. Check out the beach in a easterly blow as the ships leave Belize. Garbage, especially plastics, float in through the cuts and on to the beach.You will notice that there are plastic bottles etc. that are not sold here. Yes we should clean up but there is also a legislative piece that must be addressed.

Re: Trash Bin Project - 05/02/08 12:37 AM

from the Chamber of Commerce
Dr. Wil Lala has completed 16 full barrel bins, and 33 half barrel bins with bamboo siding.

Dr. Will asked Tom to especially thank Renita & Cindy of Changes in Latitudes who not only sent one of their workers to help, but also told a guest about the project, Cindy Stanton of New York, who then volunteered to go give a hand to Dr. Lala. Also appreciation to all these people have given him a helping hand: Dana & Brenda LeTendre, Art Livingston, Erica Galbraith, C. J. Varela, Alex Canalex, Joe Novelo, Art Rinehart, Todd Beblow from Segway Belize, from Ecologic Divers, Charlie Mejia, Manuel Mendoza, Juan Kumel, and Marcos Alamina; Eric Garcia from the Blue Tang, and from Changes in Latitude, Joe Novelo. Dr. Wil also thanked Reef Village for the free barging of the bamboo to the island, and Todd Beblow of Segway for delivery.

Dr. Lala had also informed Tom that the barrels are being donated by Bowen & Bowen, and that as the barrels arrive, the remaining bins will be completed. Thank you Barry!

Full barrel bins are ready to be picked up at The Boatyard if anyone prefers this type. Half barrel bins will be ready as soon as enough barrels arrive.

Anyone wanting to buy one or donate a bin to any group, school, church, or a specific area, please let the Chamber know as soon as possible. Email: [email protected]

Posted By: BamaB's

Re: Trash Bin Project - 05/04/08 10:44 PM

I promise that on our next trip down we'll do our share. Sometimes I picked up & carried plastic bottles at least a mile to find a receptacle when we were there in March, so this will make my tree-hugging recycling eco-friendly wife ecstatic!
Posted By: dolphin

Re: Trash Bin Project - 05/06/08 02:55 PM

The first trash bins are ready. The full barrel with wooden frame bin are ready to be picked up at The BoatYard.

The half barrel bins with bamboo sides and cover are waiting on more barrels to be be delivered in the next couple of weeks.

The choices are:

1) Whole barrel with no bamboo sides for $150

(These barrels only for only out-of-town or those that would like to add their own siding)

2) Half barrel with bamboo on 3 sides for $150

3) Half barrel with bamboo on 4 sides for $175

Tom Vidrine ([email protected])

Re: Trash Bin Project - 05/18/08 04:47 PM

from the Chamber of Commerce...

Todd Beblow reported that more barrels are being delivered by Bowen and Bowen, and that both full barrel bins and half barrel bins are ready for those that would like to pick them up.

Tom reported that Dick Gentry purchased one bin as a donation to our town, and so did Virginia Cobb, who purchased two bins.

Anyone wanting to buy one or donate a bin to any group, school, church, or a specific area, please let the Chamber know as soon as possible. Email: [email protected]

Re: Trash Bin Project - 05/23/08 11:10 PM

from the Chamber of Commerce....

Tom reported that Stuart Cobb donated the money for four trash bins. Those of you that would like to pick up your bins, they are at The BoatYard.

Tom also reported he received the following checks for bins:

Stuart Cobb $600

North Ambergris Neighborhood Watch $300

Rocco Pugliese $150

Re: Trash Bin Project - 06/01/08 02:02 AM

from the Chamber of Commerce....

People have picked up all the half barrel bins that were ready, and we are waiting on the next shipment donated by Barry Bowen to arrive. There are still full barrel bins available to be picked up.
Jan reported that she received $150 from Nancy Scott for a bin, bringing the total so far to 51 going out around San Pedro.

© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board