AmbergrisCaye.com Home

grocery and hardware stores.

Posted By: Barnacle

grocery and hardware stores. - 04/13/08 11:05 PM

did i read somewhere that you all now have a 'cap' on the amount of grocery and hardware stores on A.C.?
i thought i did, but can't seem to find it....
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/14/08 12:39 AM

Check here:

Originally Posted by Ambergris Today
Moratorium Set on Supermarkets & Hardware Stores

If the general public and business community feels that San Pedro is saturated with Supermarkets and Hardware stores, the Trade License Board feels so as well.

The Trade License Board held a meeting and decided to implement a moratorium on Supermarkets and Hardware Stores on Thursday, March 27. The Moratorium is set to last from six months to an indefinite period.

San Pedro is a fast growing community and with tourists coming in and out of the island, both tourists and locals need everyday necessities which can be found in grocery stores and supermarkets. But recently there has been lots of competition among hardware stores and supermarkets which seem to be expanding every year or a new business being built. This could be the few reasons why the Trade License Board sought to place a moratorium on both supermarkets and hardware stores.

With so many businesses competing against each other, the moratorium was a good idea since there are presently six supermarkets and eleven hardware stores on the island. With this in mind perhaps other boards will see it fit to plan another meeting and discuss other saturated businesses on the island and place a moratorium on other businesses such as bars, per say.

http://www.ambergriscayenews.com/html/archives.php?p=040308#_st1
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/14/08 01:59 AM

So, apparently the argument is that less competition in groceries and hardware is a good thing?

Then why not cap the number of timeshares or new condo developments? Or gift shops and restaurants?

Could someone explain the logic to me?

Jeez, sounds like Cuban Economics 101 instead of a free market.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/14/08 03:06 AM

Except that the place is already swamped with these businesses, many of them usually empty. The economics are intriguing.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/14/08 03:54 PM

Posted By: weile

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/14/08 11:37 PM

Government controlling who can open a business - and when they can do it.
Just like the "good old days" in East Germany...
Posted By: SimonB

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/14/08 11:58 PM

An observation, many new grocery stores have opened in the last year. Instead of more competition and the prices going down, prices have gone up radically. They have to pay for these new places and jacked up prices seem to be the method. Existing stores have been following suit to get in on the action. Prices have really spiked in the last few months. More options is not always better for the consumer.

One of these days I'll have a go back through the couple of thousand completed order forms I have and do a price history of the more popular items over the last 5 years. Should be interesting.

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/15/08 12:03 AM

Did it occur to you that the wholesale costs to these merchants has been skyrocketing lately? This is a worldwide situation that threatens to put millions into a starvation situation. Read the international news.

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/15/08 12:07 AM

Yep, but not enough to justify many of the price increases.

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/15/08 12:15 AM

So its a local conspiracy?

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/15/08 12:26 AM

When the so called low cost stores all of a sudden start pricing in line with the so called higher cost stores you have to start to wonder. Of course you probably spend more time than I in the stores so maybe I should just defer to your experiences.

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/15/08 12:29 AM

No, I see the prices rising but I also read daily of massive rises worldwide in food costs, so much so that many international agencies of UN and others are alarmed and trying to find ways to gain some relief. You should look outside this little cocoon we live in here.

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/15/08 12:31 AM

I notice that my favorite store, Marina's is switching brands of various items to lower-priced, lower quality brands.
Posted By: weile

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/15/08 12:36 AM

So, the solution is to have the government not allowing people to open grocery stores???
Posted By: Barnacle

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/15/08 12:44 AM

i opened this topic because i was thinking there was a good idea to control the over-saturation of overnight rooms being built,, while there is a 40% occupancy rate, countrywide.
now reading the comments, i may be rethinking that. let 'em build,, the good will survive,, the crap will sink.
am i wrong?
the east Germany comment hit home.

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/15/08 12:46 AM

Something about "capitalistic free-enterprise"?
Posted By: JZB

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/15/08 02:37 PM

If all the grocery/hardware stores that have recently opened up offered something different other than location, the more stores the better. In reality, they all sell basically all the same stuff with little or no price difference. Our little community is becoming over saturated with these stores. If someone wants to own their own hardware or grocery store, they can approach an existing store to buy their trade lic. It makes their store and thier real estate more valuable and forces people to be a little more creative and open up other needed businesses on this island.

A moratorium on condotels would also be beneficial. Lets make sure all the existing ones are bought up first and do not drive down our average occupancy rates to 20%. A responsible builder, I would hope, would look at all these factors before building another condo megaplex. Too many unsold units will eventually force everyone to drop their prices. Just my 1 cent US.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/15/08 03:28 PM

Whilst my response is not really about supermarkets, a related/relevant concern has been raised and I'd like comment on it.

About JZB's comment on condo-hotels ....... I think that there are several different aspects to the condo-hotel projects and that future programs may require a multi-faceted approach.

Construction is one thing - does the building create too much density for current infrastructure, etc. Does it conform to the master plan, etc. If a proposed building conforms to building standards then a building permit should be issued.

Proliferation of rentable rooms is another thing - if you want to limit the number of rentable rooms the best way is to limit the number and type of hotel licenses granted by the BTB.
There are minimum standards in the license provisions and a lot of licensees do not perform up to these standards. Shoddy rooms do nothing for our image as a destination - BTB can pull licenses for the serious dumps, fire hazzards, and brothels (I refer to none here on AC --- but there are some scary stories elsewhere) and make more real room licenses available for properly run businesses. BTB can make a target for a % for hotel, a % for lodges, a % for apartment-style condos, a % for detached residences. These categories already exist and perhapos we can make a more balanced island tourist-offering if we take a look at managing that.

Assuming that every condominium is a condo-tel may reflect the bulk of today's market, but there is a case to be made for condos that are real residences for people who would like to live here. You cannot de-facto look at a condo building and say that it is going to dent existing hotel businesses.

Right now we have BTB hotel-licensing provisions for anything rented for less than 6 months. All these rentals are treated the same, but I think that is probably too broad an approach.
I suggest that rentals of 30-180 days could be treated differently than those of under 30 days.
I'm told that there are a lot of people who would like to come here for longer stays (a month to 6 months) and would like to rent but can't find anything affordable due to the nightly rental focus. This is a whole area of business is not being promoted now. I think there is probably a market niche that homes and some condos alike could serve without hurting hotels at all.

It is also notable that the really well-run proprties report occupancies as high as 90%. To succed as a destination, regardless of the number of rooms, we need more and better marketing and management plans. I think if Belize starts competing with other countries instead of internal competition between hotels on the same island or in the same town, we may see a whole different (better) scenario arise.
Posted By: JZB

Re: grocery and hardware stores. - 04/15/08 04:06 PM

Is there a condo complex that doesn't rent rooms as a hotel? Are any of the condos not built yet, being built soley for residential living? Maybe there are but the majority of the buildings are being put on the short term market which is what makes them attractive to many buyers. Buy a condo and have the tourists pay your mortgage! Although this statement is hardly the truth in many complexes it will become increasing so as the tourists are spread out over more and more units meaning less and less money for the condo owner and a less attractive investment for future buyers. This may all change if/when we get some direct flight from Europe

But I do agree condos fill a niche that nothing else can. I may own one myself one day when I'm tired of maintaining a house.

Has the BTB ever pulled anyones hotel license for running a dump? I've managed a couple homes with BTB licenses and continue to run my own and not once has the BTB come out to inspect the houses or talk with me about policies and standards even though I was told they would. I think we can all agree that the BTB has some work to do and some changes to the 30 day+ stay would certainly benefit everyone. Maybe with the new BTB heads something will get done and we will finally know what happens to all that money we send them! smile
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board