AmbergrisCaye.com Home

any RPG nerds on the island???

Posted By: belizzie

any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/20/08 10:26 PM

my boyfriend is looking for people to play RPGs with.
dungeons and dragons type of stuff.

any one do that here in san pedro?

muchas gracias
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/20/08 10:30 PM

Dont know about SP, but there are plenty of RPGs in Iraq
Posted By: deadserious

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/21/08 01:55 AM

Your **boyfriend** is looking for someone with whom to play dungeons and dragons? that sentence just looks doesn't sound right.

It's certainly not something I would expect to hear from a woman... from an orc or halfling maybe.

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/21/08 03:22 PM

yeah, this is just about what i expected.
thanks guys
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/21/08 03:24 PM

Other than the military connection what is "RPG"? Never heard of it.

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/21/08 03:30 PM

role playing game. but that sounds potentially kinky, and they're not. it's usually dorky kids sitting around eating cheetos and rolling 20 sided dice.

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/21/08 03:35 PM

Does it involve intelligence and strategy, or is it basically chance and guessing? Back in pre-historic times, when I should have been studying, I used to like playing wargames. I don't mean running around with toy guns - these were board games of great complexity. The closest standard equivalent is GO.

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/21/08 03:51 PM

supposedly it involves intelligence and strategy, but i couldn't swear to that myself. i don't have much experience playing them.
they're usually theoretical worlds (after a nuclear war, or it's the middle ages, or you're a vampire), sometimes you create them, sometimes they're set up in a package to buy. you have rules. you have skill sets, certain abilities and powers.
the Live Action Role Playing games (LARP) are set up the same way, but instead of fate being a dodecahedron, you use rock-paper-scissors.

go?
you mean the game that looks like othello?

yeah, i just looked up wargames on wikipedia, and they look very similar to the RPGs with which i'm familiar.

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/21/08 04:01 PM

I don't know about Othello (other than in the Shakespeare context I don't know what that is either), but GO is an ancient Chinese game played on a square board with many more cells (squares) than a standard chess or draughts (checkers) board. Checking Wikipedia I see it's 19*19. Very complex game involving great strategy. I only ever played it once, and that was an incomplete game that taught me very little. I don't know if anyone's ever produced a travel version of the game, but that would be ideal for here.

The wargames I used to play, principally one just called The Wargame and developed by university academics in Britain in the '60s, was also a complex game that could easily run for 60+ hours. Being university students we of course played it without a break. The only people I knew to play it were mathematicians.
Posted By: deadserious

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/21/08 05:26 PM

One of the best strategy board games of recent times IMHO is Settlers of Catan. Like Risk on steroids...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlers_of_Catan
Posted By: Dutch

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/23/08 03:35 AM

Okay, okay...so you're in San Pedro, probably one the the most beautiful places in the world, with your boyfriend. He wants to play D&D? Seriously?

I guess whatever creams your twinkie.
Posted By: Chloe

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/23/08 04:14 AM

Dutch HA HA HA HA, good laugh! laugh
Posted By: Scott Kick

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/23/08 04:26 AM

I've never played any D&D purely trying to be cool, but I just have to say, that I just moved here from the heart of the action in Seattle 4 months ago, and I'm getting Island fever already! I swim in the beautiful ocean everyday, fish, write, paint, and still I'm under-stimulated. I'm not saying yes... but I'm getting to the point when I might even play D&D!~

Posted By: tacogirl

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/23/08 04:30 AM

We are actually looking to plan a game night (since last august ha ha) Anyone up for that with any reg board games??

Do know of any RPG players.

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/23/08 04:38 AM

Mmm? Like what kind of board game?!

I haven't seen many here?

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/23/08 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dutch
Okay, okay...so you're in San Pedro, probably one the the most beautiful places in the world, with your boyfriend. He wants to play D&D? Seriously?

I guess whatever creams your twinkie.

Better than just propping up the local bars.

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/23/08 02:22 PM

Tacogirl et al - I'm ordering a GO set. Anyone interested in learning to play it?

And Scott - chess was played here quite a lot by some people who have since left. Maybe there are others.
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/27/08 04:00 PM

Any board games people have Scott.

We figured if people brought a selection, than everyone could pick and choose what they want to play.

Pedro2 might be willing to give it a try but I think you would do better playing something like that with tacoboy as he has a longer attention span ha ha.

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/27/08 05:01 PM

All I have is a homemade checker board made out of cardboard and seashells... I play myself for hours and have never won.

smile

That said, if there's a game of any kind, I'm in!
Posted By: Bacchus

Re: any RPG nerds on the island??? - 05/28/08 11:17 PM

My boyfriend is a huge RPG nerd. If only he had found you sooner. We actually brought down a bag of these dice you speak of just in case. He will be leaving in the next three weeks, but you might be able to get a few good games in.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board