AmbergrisCaye.com Home

So What's It Really Like?

Posted By: peterh

So What's It Really Like? - 06/02/08 11:04 PM

Hi to everyone!.......from Peter in Toronto Canada. So this is for all you lucky people that presently live in paradise ( AC ) When searching the internet you get all these stories about how cheap it is to live in Belize ( mainland ? ) and how expensive it is to live on AC? So let's hear from you that live on AC and please tell us what it's really like.

Peter
Posted By: SimonB

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/02/08 11:14 PM

Expensive.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/02/08 11:22 PM

Depends on your lifestyle. I don't find Ambergris Caye to be prohibitive but I live simply and try to buy Belize-produced food products an much as possible. I drive an electric cart so don't purchase any gasoline. I cook at home most of the time and visit low cost local-type restaurants. I don't use air conditioning but have fans going much of the time.
It's up to you...

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/02/08 11:23 PM

Hi Simon!...hey I read a post on Trip Advisor from someone who used your services and highly recommended you!

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/02/08 11:26 PM

Hi Jesse, I'm sure if you want to live like you do in North America it will be expensive. But I figure if you live like the locals do, it can't be that expensive

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/02/08 11:32 PM

The generally used standard is that you need $2000US per month to live comfortably.

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/02/08 11:34 PM

Hi Simon, yes I read that, not a problem as my income is just over twice that amount.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/02/08 11:45 PM

I agree with Jesse
I don't smoke or drink alcohol and it looks to me like those who do spend about half their income on that - some even more.
The things that cost a lot for me is eating out and diving. So I limit those - mostly to when I have guests who are usually generous. I came from California before the housing collapse so find the cost of buying land here very affordable. My friends from other parts of the US did not find it so. All things are relative and all the old clichés hold true – you get what you pay for – it’s only money – what goes around comes around – go figure?

Of course you can live in other parts of Belize for much less – but the price is too high.

PROS:
No car payments
No car insurance
No gas guzzlers
Not much traffic (except Middle Street & in front of Tropic Air)
No need for shoes
Cheap property taxes
Cheap insurance
Cheap medical & vet care
Clean air
Fabulous fresh fruits & vegetables
Fresh fish & sea food
The nicest people you will ever meet
Sandy beaches
The most beautiful colors of sea water you will ever see and want to bottle

CONS:
Unreliable utilities
Unreliable transportation
Everything else I would add would just be bitchen

I wouldn’t trade it for the world.
Posted By: Scott Kick

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/03/08 12:23 AM

U.S. Prices per month...

Rent for a spacious 2 bedroom a block away from the beach 600
Internet 25
Electricity $70
Food for the house $150 (fresh fruit and veggies every day... limited selection but you can make it work)

I walk everywhere, and take a cheap cab when I'm lazy...

Everything else is just going out to eat and having beers with friends periodically.

Your initial set up costs will be higher, and if you have to live my U.S. standards to be happy. Personally I don't mind hand washing laundry, and eating from street vendors. Saves a lot of money, and it gives you something to do.

If you don't know how to cook... learn.

My only gripe is that I'm from the city and single, so I'm going a little stir crazy after 4 months. I'm adapting though and trying to find more hobbies to keep me occupied.

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/03/08 12:46 AM

Any good with a machete? My yard needs work...
Posted By: purdygrl

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/03/08 06:14 PM

Hi Peter,

I have a few questions...
Have you ever been to AC?
Will you be coming down alone?
Before moving down full time try it for 3 months minimum. 6 months would even be better.

Good luck in whatever your choice is but my vote is always AC vs mainland.
Posted By: bocephus

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/03/08 09:29 PM

and where abouts do you live and what is the name of your building?

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/03/08 09:56 PM

Hi Purdygirl,no we have never been to AC. I have always wanted to but my wife wanted to go to Barbados, St. Lucia etc. Unfortunately I recently had a hip replacement so our travelling is on hold until spring 2009. We are planning to come down in March 2009 with the intentions of scoping the place out for full time retirement. We hate the cold Canadian winters!
Posted By: purdygrl

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/06/08 04:08 PM

I too hated cold canaidian winters that is why I now live here.
I am glad you are thinking about scoping it out give yourselves some time to see if you like it.
Get to know the people around you and be active in the community. I find that most of us who move down here and are involved last a lot longer than people who come down and just sit at the bar all day.(nothing wrong with that either)
Well good luck and read a lot of the past posts they are usually full of great advise.

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/06/08 09:43 PM

Read "Don't Stop the Carnival." You will laugh yourself silly but it will be some good insight.

The people I know who don't want to live here can not tolerate the politics, lack of reliable utilities and frustration in trying to get things done. I periodically have difficulties with some of these myself and have to calm down - look at the sea and remind myself why I am here.
Latest frustration is over 6 months and two different "mechanics" messing with my golf cart to the point where it still can't be used. Oh yeah, one of them who really messed it up wants US $2,000 + I mean - I didn't have a golf cart for six months and now I am afraid to drive it. Been pulled home from town three times in two weeks.
I have to go read a book and calm down again. LOL

Posted By: carbunkletrumpet

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/06/08 10:17 PM

Peterh – I would recommend the island over the mainland 1000 times and twice on Sunday mainly because of my love of the the water and that it is unique. Now granted I am sitting in the US typing this and you will get advice from a lot of seasoned veterans but the best advice is that you go down when your hip is ready and give it a try by staying for a while and visiting with the other residents. Obviously those on the island still love it as they are still there but there are others who tried it and it didn’t work out and they left under the cover of darkness. Wish you luck.

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/06/08 10:25 PM

Hmmm...
How did they leave under the cover of darkness?
The planes and boats all stop at sunset.
Sounds sneaky!

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/07/08 06:30 AM

Jesse - I think they flew the coup

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/07/08 03:15 PM

Hi everyone thanks for all the great advice. I have been talking to Trudy Troiano who has/had a house on the north side in caye villas. ( House Hunters International TV Show ) and she has been very helpfull.
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/07/08 03:22 PM

Peter what area of Toronto are you living? Former Kensington market girl here.

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/07/08 04:03 PM

Hi Tacogirl, I put Toronto because I thought most people know Toronto. We used to live on the Queensway at Parklawn but have since moved just west of Brampton to a town called Georgetown.
Posted By: JZB

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/07/08 05:00 PM

I know where that is! I'm from the Bloor West Village but have family in Georgetown now. I tease them and tell them they're farmers now. ha!
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/07/08 07:05 PM

Cool Peter familiar with both areas. My cousin is in Mississauga so we passed Queensway and Parklawn many a time. Not been to Georgetown since I was a kid lol.

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/07/08 09:15 PM

It's not too bad here right now as it's a sunny 86 degrees, so we are just hanging around the pool in the backyard pretending we are in Ambergris Caye, and by the way we are not farmers! ha! ha! ha!
Posted By: texasman

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/11/08 09:58 PM

Sounds great to be living in either place. Hey Jesse I can hack a machete with the best of them. My wife is a mean cook. Or Scubalady I can fix almost anything. We only need small spot on floor to sleep. You will not even know were there. If anybody has room let us know.
Posted By: Canam

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/11/08 11:40 PM

Peter - I moved here from Southern California along the ocean there too. I also am originally from the Toronto general area. It's about the same as both areas, considering utilities here are higher, rent is close (a lot cheaper mainland), food in general is the same etc. Pros and cons for doing it, but I say do it!

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/12/08 12:11 AM

Just came back to this and read about Queensway and Parklawn, used to live just North of Queensway off Parklawn for a while myself. 43°38'17.10"N, 79°29'24.91"W on Google Earth. Also lived at St. Clair and Spadina. The rest of my time was spent in Oakville.

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/12/08 02:09 AM

This is great! I'm glad to hear that there's a bunch of you from the Etobicoke area. We have to get together when my wife and I come down for a visit.
Posted By: Craigswench

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/12/08 02:25 AM

Hey, I lived at Bathurst and Eglington.
I'm heading this summer to visit my friend (who lived in Oakville) now residing 1/2 time in Barrie, 1/2 time in Costa Rica.
Cheerz!
Posted By: DAB55

Re: So What's It Really Like? - 06/12/08 03:12 AM

I'm making my first visit to AC on 6/21. I am coming alone and want to make new friends. Where are the best places to meet people?
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board