AmbergrisCaye.com Home

question about Belize Yacht Club

Posted By: thseeker

question about Belize Yacht Club - 06/08/08 04:38 PM

Hi everyone - - I am coming to Ambergris Caye at the end of June :), and I am just about to book my accommodations. What do you guys think of the Belize Yacht Club? location/amenity wise? Of course the BYC staff raves about it, but comments on the web range from people thinking it was great; to people thinking it was a dive.
I am not too picky; I just want a place close to, or in, town. With a pool. I donít care if it has a nice beach in front of the property - - I donít think the BYC has a beach at all does it? But I donít want a disgusting place either.

Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: nomad315

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 06/08/08 04:43 PM

Hey Thseeker; i am going to be there for July actually... I know exactly what you mean, the website looks brilliant, but it talks about a few properties so you really dont know what property they are showing on the site.... i look forward to reading what people say.

hey, maybe people can say if the BYC pool is shaped like an Octogon? that is the shape of the pool on their website-

cheers
Posted By: BrusselSprout

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 06/08/08 05:49 PM

I would say that the Yacht Club is a good location...and if you can get a room for under $100usd, it would be an okay deal. There is a beach with some chairs...but a sea wall...you can't walk directly in. The pool tends to be a bit dirty most of the time.
Posted By: DonnaR

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 06/08/08 06:00 PM

When I was there in March we stayed at the Exotic Caye and friends stayed at BYC. They were very disappointed. They were moved to a offsite "motel" like place which was not too nice. I thought Exotic was better and so did they. They couldnt leave because they did not give refunds..so they stuck it out. The "offsite" place was not that well kept up and it was older furniture etc etc. JMHO...I would make sure that you get a condo ON SITE..and get it in writing. I have been to AC 4 times and each time I stay at Exotic and love it. I will be there again June 27 for 10 days and Exotic it is. I am also impressed with the Sunbreeze. Never been in any rooms, since I spend most of the time at the Mojito Bar LOL. But the exterior looks nice. smile
Posted By: Canukboi

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 06/08/08 06:06 PM

BYC is very nice, but for the price, I would suggest Exotic Caye Resort. Just my preference
Posted By: H20dog

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 06/08/08 06:32 PM

Pick your room carefully at Exotic Caye.....some are way nicer than others....I'm personally sold on The Palms, and Paradise Villas
Posted By: kris48

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 06/08/08 07:13 PM

The deluxe rooms at Exotic Caye are nicer. Standard rooms tend to be a bit older, smaller, with less amenities. Good location, very clean pool and rooms, and a great beach bar out front. The Palms is also very nice, our personal favorite.

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 06/08/08 09:22 PM

From the Palms.......there's the Purple Parrot, steps south...BC's steps north and Blue Water Grill another 50 paces. Paradise Villas has Wet Willy's steps away....and town is a few hundred yards south. both great locations
Posted By: JeanH

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 06/08/08 10:12 PM

It wouldn't be choice for a place to stay. When we were looking to buy, the folks there certainly weren't helpful or friendly.

The Sands complex next door has been an eyesore for years. Once again, the area by the newly completed sea wall is being used as a garbage dump.

There are better places for probably less money.
Posted By: JTM

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 06/10/08 02:52 AM

Stayed there a couple of years ago and thought the location wsa good. The grounds are nice and well kept, nice pool bar and the staff was friendly and attentive. I'd go back.

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 06/10/08 03:53 AM

A lot happens in a couple of years.....I'd sleep on the beach first

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 06/11/08 06:37 PM

Ahhh, dont say that... i am already non-refundably booked... oh well i will just have to make the best of it.. Hey Thseeker, If it really is as bad as some people say, we can both meet by the dirty pool and rant about how we should have listened --haha..
Posted By: canuker

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 07/09/08 01:29 PM

hey nomad, are you at the BYC now? what do you think?

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 07/09/08 03:40 PM

Yes I am here now - the BYC is perfect!!! Huge rooms, with living area and separate bed-room, living area has kitchenette, and satellite TV. A short walk to Ramons (2min) where the beach is nice and I swam with a stingray just off their pier - not one of those little ones you see every-time you swim... I mean this one was nearly a meter wide... awesome. The pool at the BYC is always clean and the grounds are manicured to perfection. Plus people at Ramons are paying 3-4 times the price as we are here - from what I heard from people I talked to.

I cannot comment on the friendliness of the staff as I have not had cause to go into the reception area. I am always greeted with a pleasant "good morning" when I walk by the grounds keepers/ security guards/ swim-up bartender though. I canít comment on the food either, as I can not justify paying the prices of any of the resort hotel restaurants on AC, but I have seen people eating there and they look pleased. All in all, I am laughing that I almost changed my booking based on what I was reading online. After this trip, if I ever come back to AC, I will stay here again
Posted By: ragman

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 07/09/08 09:10 PM

First year I was in San Pedro we stayed at the BYC. We got a deal and it worked out well. I looked at a few units that where for sale so I have a fair idea of what they have. Last 2 trips we stayed at Xanadu. We loved it there and the staff was great. I think it was about $200/night so it isn't cheap. There were people near us at BYC who paid about $200. At that price you can do a lot better. Have fun.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 07/10/08 02:17 AM

Does that really matter if they are enjoying themselves. Your hard feelings should not bring into question someone elses opinion.
Posted By: krehfish

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 07/10/08 04:15 PM

It's a "pedro" thing, regardless of the number.
Posted By: Tom

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 07/15/08 07:43 AM

Have been in the Belize Yacht Club in the past but own unit #2-B
at Exotic Caye. Exotic Caye does have a nice wide beach and a pool. Crazy Canuck's Bar is on property and there is live music at least 1 night a week. It is an easy 1/2 mile walk into town, either on the beach and sea wall or by way of Coconut Drive.
Exotic Caye is the place for me.
Kat
aka:Tuki Tuki
Posted By: Bobber

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 07/15/08 01:48 PM

Personally, I have great admiration for anyone who can make it from BYC to Ramons in 2 minutes. smile
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 07/15/08 04:35 PM

and the īpool is crystal clear (not)
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 07/15/08 04:38 PM

I love Exotic Caye, too, but Pedro is right: the pool is not the draw!!
Posted By: Yakivet

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 07/17/08 07:33 AM

---and it certainly isn't the mangagement!!
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 07/17/08 02:01 PM

There I would disagree . .Don and Carol have been nothing but great to us!! Friendly, accomodating and very quick to respond to any issue or request.
Posted By: Phil

Re: question about Belize Yacht Club - 07/17/08 04:04 PM

...I think you might find that comment was aimed at BYC Management, not Don and Carol.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board