AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Where the heck do you guys eat???

Posted By: canuker

Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 01:57 AM

Hi Guys, ok - i am here on the island now - - please tell me where you guys eat affordable food in or around town - - everything is SOOOOO expensive - many things are more than twice as much as Canada or the States... I have been living off pupusas, tostadas and tacos from some of the street vendors (which is good food but i would like to change it up from time to time).

Also, is there a place someone can get a drink that isnt twice as much as the States or Canada? so far the cheapest margarita has been $15.oo BZD.

thanks guys.
Posted By: Karisse

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 02:05 AM

Marino's has cheap cold beer.
Posted By: JeanH

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 02:05 AM

Drink local rum or Belikin beer and it isn't expensive. Especially at happy hours.

I've never considered the food in San Pedro to be really expensive, unless you eat at the high end places. Try The Reef, El Patio, Caramba's, Jam-Bel Jerk. It just depends on what you order. El Divino at Banana Beach has some very good and very affordable options. There's also decent Chinese carry-out (although darned if I know the names of the places). Try El Fogon for local food at decent prices.

I'm only there occasionally, I'm sure others have lots more ideas and suggestions.
Posted By: Karisse

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 02:07 AM

Waruguma's has great lobster burritos and ceviche too. It may seem expensive but you will get several meals out of one burrito.
Posted By: susieb

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 02:18 AM

Eat like the locals and it is very inexpensive. Eat like a tourist and it willcost more. Chiken rice and beans from the strret is the best value from my experience. But I had tacos for breakast chicken rice and beans for lunch and pupusas for dinner 15.00 bz for a days meal. Beat that Rachel Ray. I also had acouple of $100.00 meals. all depends on what you are after. keith
Posted By: Nancy1340

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 02:36 AM

Hummmm? The only place we thought was pricy was the place just north of BC's. Can't remember the name but the food was wonderful.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 02:38 AM

Blue WATER GRILL ?

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 02:43 AM

That's it. Very good food.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 02:48 AM

We also went to the place between Blue Water and Rubies. Not impressed with the hostess there at..... all. :- Food was fine though.

We didn't have a bad meal on AC. Favorite was on the street one away from the beach side. Middle streed? Want to say it was Mexican style with several a killer snapper dishes. Starts with a C ??
Posted By: terrielinn

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 03:18 AM

I have eaten from several of the street vendors - never a bad meal for me. Also have eaten at a number of other establishments - my favorite based on taste and value was Elvi's. The evening I was there they were packed. They had their Mayan buffet and a dinner special that was enough to last a number of meals.

I have to say, I have not had a bad meal on AC and that is after quite a sampling.
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 03:31 AM

If you go to Belize and order imported Mexican booze, it's going to be a bit expensive, just as if you go to New York and order pricey imported French wines. When in Rome ...

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: klcman

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 03:32 AM

Nancy would be thinking of Caramba's.....one of my favs.

And a certain admin/journalist would delete this if I named a certain good, inexpensive (local) restaurant located a 2 minute walk N of Banyan Bay and 30 seconds S of Marina's store.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 03:39 AM

begins with an a??? Trying to get my bearings.
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 03:50 AM

.....Happy Birthday terrielinn..... smile

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 03:54 AM

Thanks Chloe - Hope to not be getting older - just better
Posted By: Sal777

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 05:00 AM

Mangos (referenced earlier I believe as the place between Blue Water and Rubies) has some nice apps. I made a meal of apps and a salad a couple nights and it was reasonable and very tasty.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 05:05 AM

Thanks KLCman, you are correct. Very good and great service.

We didn't go to Belize to order Mexican booze. Do they have it there? Though I would have liked to have a good dark beer.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 05:13 AM

Sal777, that's the name of it. They have a great menu and I agree about the appetizers. Very good.
Posted By: canuker

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 01:16 PM

thanks for the info guys - I have had good experices with the street vendors here as well - - but there will be a couple of kids joining us on the island in a couple of days and finding a good burger/fries place has been impossible - - by "good" i mean cheap.
So far, asside from the street vendors, everything else we have eaten has been far more expensive then back home. pizza was like 45.00BZD - for a pizza you wouldnt pay more than 10-15 dollars for at boston pizza back home. had a stir fry too - checked the price before hand and thought it seemed just slightly over "reasonable" but when i got the bill it said that all prices were in US dollars!!! What the heck... why would you have US prices in Belize? needless to say i was a bit shocked.

Ok i have vented enough - - asside from the food (prices), the island has been really good so far - But thank you all for your suggestions, i will check out all of your recomendations - we are here for a few more weeks yet.
Posted By: collyk

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 03:01 PM

Blue Moon in front of Big Daddy's does very reasonable and tasty burgers. Nice location too.

Posted By: purdygrl

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 03:17 PM

Hi Canuker...as far as the pizza price goes you have to remember that cheese is crazy expensive down here and so is the toppings thats why pizza is not a cheap meal option here.
Go to Celi's or Ali Baba's order one of the rotisserie chickens and a side will make a great meal. Waraguma I can't even eat a full burrito. Hidden Treasures great food good prices, Mickeys also very affordable and good food.
I agree with Lan if you want to drink cheap it has to be local rum and local beer. Everything else is imported and costs an arm and a leg.
Enjoy the rest of your trip!!
Posted By: merc

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 05:21 PM

Okay.

Carumba's, Waramuga(sp?), Elvi's, and this place described below:
good, inexpensive (local) restaurant located a 2 minute walk N of Banyan Bay and 30 seconds S of Marina's store.

Is this last un-named place located on the right or left as you head north towards SP?
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 05:22 PM

Antojitos...left side

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 05:22 PM

Another question while I am thinking about it. Is it illegal to walk down the street with a Belekin or alcoholic beverage in your hand?

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 05:24 PM

Yes
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 05:26 PM

but balanced on top of your head is okay

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 05:30 PM

Thanks Jesse for both answers. :-)

but balanced on top of your head is okay
LOL. That might be tough to do after the second rum punch though...

Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 05:39 PM

canuker, don't know where you live, but we do not find it that expensive on the Island......imported booze is about the only thing we find much more expensive. We spend as much for a good meal here in the US (Washington State) as we do on the Island.
Posted By: Northern Canuck

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 06:42 PM

We are from Ontario, Canada and didn't find the prices that bad either except booze/wine and coffee!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
We are from Ontario, Canada and didn't find the prices that bad either except booze/wine and coffee!

Yes, the three necessities of life!!

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 07:06 PM

A rum drink or a beer costs US$2...is that too expensive????????
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 08:10 PM

I know kids can be picky eaters but they can also surprise you. Why have here what you can have at home – burgers and pizza? Beef and cheese are imported and costly. Get the kids to try tacos, salbutes, stew chicken with rice and beans and give them an ice cream treat if they do. A good option here are the soups.
If the kids like Kentucky Fried there are a lot of fast food places mostly run by the Chinese. Fried chicken with French fries is either $6 or $7 Belize.
Ali Babba's has whole rotisserie chicken for $17. Really good!
When I look at a menu when at a new place I have learned to read the fine print – at the bottom. If is says US dollars I leave!!! That is a rip off!
You may want to fix breakfast and lunch in your place and go out for dinner. You’ve had some good suggestions. For beef burgers go to Wet Willy’s. DO NOT order a ham burger – that is ham between to burger buns! LOL
I also like the Sunset Grill – go in time to watch the sunset and help feed the tarpon.
Posted By: lil'red

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 08:24 PM

At The Monkey Bites Cafe we have a varied menu with two lunch specials daily. The portions are huge and nothing is priced over $16. Yesterday it was shepherds pie with carrots and garlic bread. Tomorrow we are having a BBQ lunch featuring a grilled shrimp kabob with a lobster tail and slaw for $16. We can feed you well and you can enjoy the reef views.
Posted By: ragman

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 08:47 PM

We find prices about the same as at home. The thing is the menu is a little different. No fast food like we might at home. I wouldn't be happy if a McDonalds was being built in town but I'll occasionally use one up north. All the above suggestions that were given you we already use and have often said to ourselves that we eat healthier in San Pedro than at home. Can't beat the stew & rot. chicken. Brazilian Grill for special nights. At home I very seldom eat rice but that changes when I get on the Island. Have fun "When in Rome...."
Posted By: Northern Canuck

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 10:43 PM

LOL You got it LOANSUM...
Posted By: obake

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 11:03 PM

what are you guys talking about - - some of the information here is really good - but those of you who think the food on AC is the same price as back home are out to lunch... no pun intended... MOST of the main restaurants on AC are at least twice as expensive as back home. Those of you who think otherwise must eat at really expensive restaurants back home.
Either way, I was prepared for the cost of food as several of my friends have traveled to AC and gave me the heads up that almost everything is more expensive on AC – not just the food... I assume it has something to do with having to get it shipped from mainland and something to do with ripping off vacationers. Either way not much you can do about it.

But I also appreciate some of the advice provided here and I will be checking out some of the restaurants named as being more affordable.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 11:16 PM

How about a nice big meal of stewed chicken, rice and beans with cole slaw for US$3.50? Too much for you?

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 11:35 PM

We are hungry and want to go out tonight to someplace which is any combination of on the water, seafood BBQ, decent prices and music.

Anywhere fit the bill for us tonight?

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse
How about a nice big meal of stewed chicken, rice and beans with cole slaw for US$3.50? Too much for you?

Where can I find this meal for sometime during the rest of the week?
Posted By: BamaB's

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 11:39 PM

I dunno, I live in the Heart of Dixie & never found food to be overly expensive on AC, but we did sort of stick to the ones that were named here. Lunches of stewed chicken & rice & beans, sharing the burritos at Waraguma for dinner, I doubt you could spend $25 US a day. We did enjoy a few of the the more expensive places, but none were "better". The local flavor is fantastic regardless.
Posted By: wade the gringo

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 11:41 PM

one can not survive on tacos alone. But i eat a meal at least 2-3 times a visit at the taco place on the west side of the airstrip. three tacos for $1 belize. "give me $5 worth"
Posted By: Barnacle

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/09/08 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by wade the gringo
one can not survive on tacos alone.

BLASPHEMY!

well,, with beer anyway.
and i'm a commonsewer!
Posted By: JeanH

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 02:28 AM

I had a wonderful lunch at Blue Water Grill last month, a chicken Philly (I know there really isn't such a thing). It was about $BZ17.00. I didn't think that was overpriced, came with fries. I would have paid the same here in Iowa.

Same with the awesome chicken salad at Monkey Bites. About $BZ15.00. That's what grilled chicken salads cost around here, and I know lettuce is really expensive on Ambergris.

Same with the fried shrimp at Fidos for lunch. $25.00BZ last time I was there, with fries and coleslaw. Better than most fried shrimp dinners here for less money.

None of the above are cheap places to eat. But, they also aren't any where close to twice as much as here in the States.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 02:43 AM

"many things are more than twice as much as Canada or the States... "

I would like to see/hear/read specific facts to back up the allegations because never having been there, I'd like to not be "ripped off", using the phrase of another posting. wink
Posted By: Don Greife

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 03:02 AM

Street Venders !!!!
Posted By: cherylvalentine

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 10:00 AM

Try Papi's diner it is a little north of town close to the bridge. When I was there in Oct. My friend and I both had full dinners me a t-bone steak with smothered onions and peppers, fries and I believe a salad. My friend had yellow tail snapper with rice and beans, we both had a belikin and the bill came to around $30.00 U.S. I don't know anywhere in the U.S where you can eat like that for that price!!! And I must say the food was great!!!
Posted By: Hon

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 11:13 AM

Unfortunately Papi's has closed.

There is a little place just north of the French bakery...I have no idea of its name or even if it has a name. The mister and I stuffed ourselves full for $12BZ.

Try looking for the places that have a lot of workers and/or students as patrons. That's usually a good indication of value for money.
Posted By: shuffles

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 02:05 PM

Waraguma - grilled lobster tail, rice and beans, cole slaw $35.00 BZE. I don't know anywhere in the US you can get a lobster tail meal for $17.50.
Posted By: JZB

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hon
There is a little place just north of the French bakery...I have no idea of its name or even if it has a name. The mister and I stuffed ourselves full for $12BZ.

I think that is Neri's Tacos. They always look packed with locals in the morning so it must be good.
Posted By: suecate

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 03:18 PM

We always found that the food was the least expensive thing on our trip. We averaged about $15.00 per person per day. One day was $7.00 per person. Bakery, pampusas and vendor burritos. Going to a restaraunt comparable to the Boston area AC is a fraction of the price.
Posted By: deadserious

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 03:36 PM

It is all about where you go and what you expect. We voluntarily went to one of the more expensive places on the island more than once (Blue Lotus) because it was just plain outstanding. But inbetween, we ofen enjoyed the roadside stands and local tacos, burritos and chicken rice and beans.

The best meal of the trip though was the invite to our friends Tim and Tina's house where they served us fresh shrimp that was just plain amazing.

So for the cheapest meal, befriend some locals and get invited over to dinner.
Posted By: Blue_Lotus

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 03:52 PM

Thanks DeadSerious

I was hoping someone would mention us!! smile As for being the most expensive, last night I was told by a couple that we we're the cheapest meal out they have eaten. I guess it depends on where you compare us to!! Comparing us to street vendors is definately comparing apples and oranges!!

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 04:00 PM

I have dined at Blue Lotus several times. Average tab including drinks about $50US per person. I consider that reasonable.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 04:41 PM

In my many visits to SP, I can't think of one meal where I paid more than in my visits to Blue Lotus, so I think it is fair to classify it as "one of the more expensive places"... but I don't want that to discourage people from giving you a try.

Indian food in general is more expensive everywhere and your prices are still in line with Indian places here in the US. In addition, your food is as good as or better than the top Indian restaurants I've visited.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 05:02 PM

IMHO, the most expensive dinner on the island was at Casa Picaso and tiny servings. Blue Water Grill, Sunset Grill, Caramba's, Jambal Jerk all fall in the same price range as Blue Lotus. I dont travel on the cheap side, I usually spend an average of $200US per day not including hotel. So, Blue Lotus ranks tops in my book.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 05:06 PM

The OP is looking for lower cost meals for a group including kids. Many families are on a much tighter budget.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 05:12 PM

Agreed, I was responding to Deadserious comment regarding Blue Lotus being the most expensive place.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by immissing
Agreed, I was responding to Deadserious comment regarding Blue Lotus being the most expensive place.

Again, I did not claim Blue Lotus was the most expensive place on the island. "One of the more" does not equal "the most".

Blue Water Grill, Sunset Grill, Caramba's, Jambal Jerk all fall in the same price range as Blue Lotus.

I completely disagree there. I've eaten at all of the above and can easily get away with 15 to 30 USD at each of them except Blue Lotus. Blue Lotus is around $45 USD at a minimum and if you eat Indian food like I do, you'll spend around $90 USD per person. Those prices do not include drinks.
Posted By: brendacamp

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 05:30 PM

If it's still there, there was a small walk-up, take-out place across from Royal Palms. We had the stewed chicken, rice and beans, and potato salad on the cheap (can't remember exactly what we paid. Food was great and wound up with leftovers for a snack later. We also like Antojitos.
Brenda C from Tennessee

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 05:32 PM

good choices!

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 05:36 PM

OK, DS ! You win. I dont know how or what you decide to order. I personally dont order by price, rather by what looks good or I have a taste for. Again just MHO.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 07:07 PM

OK, DS ! You win. I dont know how or what you decide to order. I personally dont order by price, rather by what looks good or I have a taste for. Again just MHO.

I don't order by price, obviously, or I would not have gone back to the Blue Lotus. The best food on the island regardless of price.

But this thread was about price, so I felt it fair to mention that Blue Lotus was on the high end.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/10/08 07:28 PM

Hey Blue Water,

I did say the food was great. Just pricier than most of the other places on the island. The mussels were OUTSTANDING but for the price ...........they were more than we have ever paid for a appetizer of '5' anywhere else. The rest of our meal was exceptional also.

Will I ever eat at your place again ....Ya betcha. Will I ever order the mussels.... Ya betcha!! The service was among the best, read... professional, on island. The restaurant ambiance is among the nicest. An upscale restaurant no matter where it would be located.

Hang on I'm gonna look up the CC bill for our dinner there.......

OK, I looked up what we paid dinner at Blue Water. We had a guest from the island join us so that makes three people for dinner. We ordered one appetizer, one bottle of wine, two island rum & cokes and three entrees. We did not order the cheapest things on the menu. The total for our meal was $100 US. I am not sure if that included tip. In my book that's a bargain (tip or no tip) no matter who you are or where you eat!

Sooooo as I said, the food was great but the price was a little higher than any of the other places we ate while we were on the island.
Posted By: angtiques

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/11/08 01:57 AM

You must try Gordo's Burrito's and More....delicious and very reasonable! They feature fresh fruit daquiris starting at $6 Bz, large burritos at $12 Bz, Lobster burritos at $19 Bz, large ground steak burgers on french roll for $13Bz...large and varied menu including yummy fish tacos and slow cooked pork. Gordos is located on Seagrape Dr just west of Crazy Canucks and Road Kill Bar.tel 624-0226
Posted By: suecate

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/11/08 03:37 AM

If you are with kids like we are the bakeries are a must in the morning. The cinnamon bread and the cinnamon rolls you have to get there early. They also have a hotdog or ham & cheese in a croissant. Pirate Pizza was good also.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/11/08 06:15 AM

Had a nice late lunch at Hidden Treasures the other day. What made it particularly nice was that it wasn't the time of day that they usually serve either lunch or dinner, twas in between. Regardless, they were good enough to go out of their way to prepare a meal for us. We were four and each had the stewed chicken with potato salad, rice and beans. We also had a big bowl of fabulous civeche and a plate of poppers. 4 or 5 rum punch and two or more soft drinks were also served. Whole thing came to around $130 BZ.

I'd love to go back there in the evening. That place must look fabulous at night.

Posted By: Island Life

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/11/08 04:22 PM

[/quote]

The best meal of the trip though was the invite to our friends Tim and Tina's house where they served us fresh shrimp that was just plain amazing.

So for the cheapest meal, befriend some locals and get invited over to dinner. [/quote]

Thanks Jason,
We enjoyed having you guys over. We will have to do it again the next time you guys are in town. We had a great time watching the sunset and eating shrimp.
Tina and Tim
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/11/08 04:31 PM

yoo hooo tina, tim??? are you there???

I LOVE shimp!

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/11/08 04:35 PM

Me too! When ya serving?
Posted By: margarita

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/11/08 06:40 PM

Beverages at your lodging can be a bargain - make your own margaritas!
Also agree local rum , cane juice & food is usually cheapest
but for burger and fries it is Estels Dine by the Sea Charlie cheese burger & fries.
We did not find Estel's expensive for what we got.
All public Barb b ques are good deals. Lion's club & Martha's beach?
Posted By: azbob

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/11/08 07:50 PM

And don't forget Taco Tuesday night at Wet Willies. Taco's a $1 each.
Posted By: Tim Callanan

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/12/08 11:28 PM

Amanda ,Jesse your always welcome. The Doctor just put Tina on a diet( I guess me to )she has high cholesterol. Big bummer for now, I am missing the home made pasta. I know what your thinking , I will have her retested.LOL

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/13/08 02:55 PM

Actually they are $2 each at Willy's on Tuesday, but man they are good. We always get there early for tacos before we play.
Posted By: azbob

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/13/08 03:19 PM

lil'red, I should have specified. I meant $1US, but I should try and stay "in country". Yes $2BZ. Love ya!

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/13/08 05:57 PM

Hey Bob, how's things? Ya know, I don't really know when I stopped thinking in US dollars. I very rarely translate from one to the other anymore, unless I am trying to figure out what people feel is expensive. I sometimes check out prices for foods on commercials to see how mine compare.

Another place downtown is Celi's Deli. Grab your lunch and go across the street and sit on the Holiday Hotel deck and enjoy the breezes.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/13/08 06:06 PM

Or stop by Monkey Bites and order the Shrimp Chimichangas, then go out on the beach to Crazy Canuck's and enjoy the breeze and view. Your food will be delivered to you.
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/14/08 03:03 AM

Jesse thats sounds like a plan ,Shrimp Chimichangas on the beach ,And to drink ,well how about a sex on the beach.now thats sounds like a living the dream meal...Shrimp and sex.!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/14/08 05:12 PM

Oh.......... that does sound like LTD!!!
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/14/08 05:22 PM

You have nice dreams, TQ!!! grin
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/14/08 06:41 PM

Now this post is getting intresting.Hummmmmmmmmm ..LTD....

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/15/08 01:06 AM

I ate at Hidden Treasures recently. It is very pretty. The staff were welcoming and the service was excellent. The house Merlot was a good wine and served correctly, at the right temperature. The menu was well thought out with lots of alternative options.

I thought that it was too dark. We couldn't really see what we were eating at all. The lobster chowder that I was served as an appetizer, was served at a lovely temperature. I thought that the fish stock was somewhat too strong and overwhelmed the flavour of the lobster, but it was not bad.

I had ribs served with baked potato and steamed veggie. The potato was a bit small and unappealing really. The steamed veggies were very good. The ribs were tender, tasty and generously portioned, but I felt that the sauce was too rich.

Overall it was a good dinner. It was a bit pricey for me when compared to some other excellent restaurants. For ambience, Hidden Treasures would be a great place for drinks and appetizers.

I am going to try it for lunch as I am sure it will be a completely different experience.

My favourite restaurants are Wild Mangos and El Fogon.
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/15/08 02:26 AM

Colly, another hidden talent! smile

(package is in the mail tomorrow wink )

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/15/08 05:18 AM

I had an early dinner at the Sunset Grill tonight. I joked with Kevin (the owner) that I knew about valet parking but valet walking was new to me! Do to the construction that obscures the restaurant he has a young man (dress as a waiter) at the street to assist people through the ruble and across the gang plank.

He has built a special pier on the sunset side of the dock out over the water and provides sardines for people to feed the tarpon. OK – he’s prepared for the uproar.

Dinner was simple and delicious; bowl of lobster soup with tortilla chips and crispy coconut shrimp (from the appetizer menu) served with a wonderful papaya chutney. I usually don’t care for sliced papaya but this was cubed and dressed with a wonderful lime sauce. Kevin sat a visited with me while I ate and was impressed that I ate the chutney. He and the chef feel badly that most people treat it like parsley and leave it on the plate.

He insisted on sending a desert home with me so I choose the key lime pie. I just ate it with my decaf coffee and it was yummy.

In spite of the construction mess he said business has been good.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/15/08 03:39 PM

Leah Ann. I hope you took the batteries out before you sent it.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/15/08 04:00 PM

We ate at Sunset Grill the other day at lunch time. The server was sweet - the food took forever and a day. It would have been fine if we had been out for a leisurely lunch, but we were on our lunch hour - good thing we don't have a boss!

The food was WELL worth the wait.

Watching the Tarpon feeding was entertaining too.

The rubble and construction is inconvenient but certainly didn't detract from the ambiance of the restaurant once you crawl past the mess.

All in all, a must try location.

The Hidden Treasure is great for lunch. I haven't been for dinner but lunch is always tasty, good service, fair price.

Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/15/08 05:36 PM

Colly - What is the price range of the Hidden Treasure for dinners? Or comparable to what other restaraunt prices on the island? I have an upcoming event planned there on someone's recommendation and am hoping it won't break the bank! ;-)

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/15/08 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by collyk
Leah Ann. I hope you took the batteries out before you sent it.

But of course, girl! You're gonna have to get your own batteries! laugh

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/15/08 07:15 PM

Hi Barbara,

It seemed about $29 - $48 BZD for main courses. Can't really remember the prices of the appetizers (I did say the Merlot was good). It seemed to be similar in price to Wild Mangos or El Divino.

Smart girl Leah Ann, don't want to attract the interest of customs.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/15/08 10:44 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: PalapaBob

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/15/08 11:08 PM

I'm guessing a portable wine chiller? laugh
Posted By: mspencer

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/16/08 06:19 AM

We eat light at breakfast and lunch and try to do a great meal at night. Now that is usually Wild Mango's, but it can also be the street vendors in town on the weekend. I have yet to find a meal that was more than what I would pay at home, and the food at Wild Mango's is great. We are flying in Friday the 18th of July (3 days) and we have already made our reservations for Friday night.
Posted By: rutgers2

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 07/21/08 04:04 PM

Hi! Just got back from San Pedro on Saturday. My husband and I recommend Ali Baba's. Great Middle Eastern food, very affordable (cheaper than NYC where we work). We are vegetarian but the menu offers chicken, etc. and they open at 10 am and close late. Cheers.
Posted By: MalibuStace

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/29/08 05:38 PM

I am happy to see that JJ has opened Taste of India. I used to frequent his restaurant down South (mainland, and always loved the food. Taste of India is in Pauly's/Pasta La Vista's old location. The ambiance cannot touch that of Blue Lotus (of course) but great lunch specials at reasonable prices, Vindaloo Lamb, and Curry Chicken for dinner are just a few items to start with. Lend them your support and if you are an Indian food fan, try it out!
Posted By: canukgirl

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/29/08 07:04 PM

What are the prices like at Taste of India? Do they have butter chicken and Dahl?

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/30/08 05:55 AM

That is amazing news. I love Indian food.

Where are they located?
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/30/08 03:44 PM

We had the Butter Chicken last night, $26 for a decent sized portion. Two big Samosas for $8, enough for lunch.

We split a $48 meal between 3 people and all were stuffed at the end.

Definitely recommended.

They're located in the old Pasta la Vista location right across from the 5 a side court.
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/30/08 04:54 PM

the problem with the Indian restaurant(Pasta la Vista) is the mould growing on the walls-it is dirty both toilets and the eating area -could not look in the kitchen(we had already ordered and I was hungry) -food ok but not real english indian food(that makes sense for the english)-the indian vindaloo london style is not spicy or hot

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/30/08 05:47 PM

I have throroughly enjoyed the food I have had as take-out. The vindaloo could probably be a little hotter. But all in all the serving portions are good (large), the food flavour and meat textures were excellent.

The restaurant itself is grim - I don't think I will ever go and have a sit-down meal there. They would have to conduct a major overhaul it make it even half way decent. And of course there isn't really anywhere to park.

The prices are a little steep - but the portions are large enough to be shared.

I will eat the food there again and I hope this restaurant can survive the slow season because I LOVE indian food. I don't know about English indian food, but authentic indian food is always a pleasure.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/30/08 09:31 PM

The big question is where does one find a restaurant meal in September! Forget the list of what is closed ......... a list of what is open would be great.
Also super news about Taste of India - maybe a new venue - me too on loving indian food.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/30/08 10:59 PM

Oh Diane you have voiced one my concerns of the month!! Where oh where are we gonna eat??????

We'll have to post a list when we have ascertained which restaurants will be open.'

On another note, we haven't seen the Sausage Factory open either. So you can't eat out and you could have trouble with variety whilst cooking in!

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/31/08 05:58 AM

I had lunch at El Fogon yesterday and asked about September. Suzanne said that since most of her customers are locals she wouldn't dare close! So, there's lunch.
Kathy said Beach'n Kitchen will stay open.
Posted By: BrusselSprout

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/31/08 06:28 AM

Tacklebox is open for September if you are in the mood for burgers, or quesadillas or lobster...
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/31/08 03:30 PM

Since my hubby eats lunch about 4 days a week at El Fogon it is great to know he will not starve (and I don't have to fix lunch, evil grin).
Posted By: TrueLover

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/31/08 04:46 PM

Breakfasts are easy. The best three in my opinion are Estell's, Georges Kitchen, and Lilly's. All pretty reasonable. Lunch or dinner I like Sunset Grill, Elvies Kitchen, Playa Lounge, or Capricorn. I'm not one of the rich gringos so mostly I eat at home but when I am eating out I want quality for hard pirated moula. :P Also any of the fish burritos at Waragume, (check spellun) are awesome. Lobster is 25.00 bz and HUGE. Bon au petit.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/31/08 06:27 PM

Here is what I have so far, may not all be spot on and is not in alpha order, but should help. Maybe other ppl have more info.

Caramba - Closed 13th August- 11th September
George’s - Closed 18th August - 8th November
Elvis Kitchen - Closed 6th October - 20th October
Pepperoni’s - Closed 30th August - 1st October
Wild Mangos - Closed 31st August for 5 or 6 Weeks
Blue Water Grill - Closed 1st September-1st October
Sweet Basil- Closed 1st September - 1st October
Blue Lotus - Closed 1st September - 1st November
Casa Picasso - Closed 6th September - 13th October
Celi’s Restaurant - Closed 7th September-1st November
Capricorn - Closed 9th September -31st October
Palapa Bar - Closed 18 September - 1st October
Rico’s - Closed 21st September- 6th October
Victoria House Pamilla - Closed 30th September-22nd October
Caliente - Closed 15th October - 1st November?
Pirate’s Pizza - NOT CLOSING and their pizza is good
El Divino - NOT CLOSING
Ramon’s - NOT CLOSING
Sunset Grill - NOT CLOSING
Mickey’s Restaurant - NOT CLOSING
Estelle’s Dine by the Sea ????
Ambergris Delight ????
El Patio Restaurant 226-3898 October?
Hidden Treasure 226-4111 NOT SURE YET!
Jambel’s Jerk Pit 226-3515 ????
Taste of India 226-4373 ????
Monkey Bites 206-2021 ????

Posted By: Portofino

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/31/08 06:38 PM

We are not closing either, and for dinner we have free transportation; just call 220 5096.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/31/08 06:56 PM

Cool, I will let everyone know.
Thanks
Posted By: ragman

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/31/08 07:16 PM

Diane, Is El Fogon just North of the Air strip on a little side steet? If it is, it was my favorite. Joanne is the owner I believe. She lives above the restraunt. Can't wait to visit her for lunch again this winter.
Posted By: canukgirl

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/31/08 08:15 PM

Ambergris Delight is permanently closed, from what I heard from Jr.
Posted By: chunkyruth

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/31/08 08:35 PM

Wow, nice job Malibustace...very appreciated.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/31/08 08:40 PM

I think I could live on the nachos at El Divino - having some cute hunk deliver them poolside accompanied by one of Roxi's rum punches is a meal that's hard to beat!
Posted By: Rykat

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 08/31/08 08:42 PM

blush
Posted By: drummer dan

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/01/08 04:15 PM

As of today, Monkey bites is the only place open on Coconut drive between the yacht club and Perla Escondita. The other places are closed for vacation (Georges, Pepperonis). Monkey Bites has good prices and good specials. Breakfast and Lunch only, however.
Posted By: drummer dan

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/01/08 04:58 PM

Nope, just coffee. She is running a business, and friendship must stay aside. However I do eat there quite often, since I like the food.
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/01/08 05:40 PM

well it is closed today-Pedro's is open from 4.00pm everyday
Posted By: wade the gringo

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/01/08 06:25 PM

Hot pizza, cold beer, new pool, Nintindo....what more could you ask for?

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/01/08 06:30 PM

less hair on the floor?
a new sign?

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/01/08 08:38 PM

Yes, we closed today because both of my girls have young children starting classes today and they had to walk them to school, attend later scheduled meetings for parents of new students and teachers and fill a books and supplies list. I gave them the day so they could take care of everything they needed to do for their kids. We will be business as usual tomorrow and the rest of the month. Hopefully the rest of the season.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/02/08 06:52 PM

Just got word from Blue Lotus that they have decided not to close and will remain open 7 days a week for dinner only.

Sausage factory back up and running today.

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/03/08 01:02 AM

I eat anywhere I damn well please.
Posted By: Hightide

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/03/08 06:02 AM

lil' red: kudos to you for giving the moms the time they needed with the kiddos. Tough call this time of year when every hour closed is an hour less in the bank.

I will remember and pay forward your gracious generosity and giving spirit by coming to Monkey Bites for lunch as often as possible. However, if you want to qualify for sainthood, a huge batch of your hushpuppies would possibly do the trick. Just a thought... hehe

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/03/08 04:34 PM

Nope, Jesse, none of the band expect me to feed them for free any more than bars expect them to play for free. But I may use them as guinea pigs to sample a new recipe :-)
Posted By: seashell

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/05/08 01:13 AM

Ambergris Delight is permanently closed???!!! OMG! frown
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/05/08 07:27 PM

mr advantage realty turned us onto a 3 table place next door to super buy market called Genie's. simple, homey, and tasty as hell.

we had 2 orders of stew chicken, the best beans (no rice) i've ever had, homemade tortillas & a chicken burrito for $17 US, feeding 4 people. the service was fast and friendly.

gotta love it!
Posted By: Keepin'itReel

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/06/08 11:02 PM

canuker, I've had very tasty margaritas on the rocks/salt at Cholo's for 9 or 10BZ I believe (I have a tough time remembering, I guess the drinks were TOO good . . .).
Posted By: rubyd

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/07/08 01:18 AM

I just found my new favorite food. Barbeque chicken with garlic sauce at Sahara. That's the new place across from Ali Baba. It's to die for. The portion is huge. You probably need to order a salad or something to go with it - it just comes with bread. The kababs are really good, too.
Posted By: Dan Carey

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/08/08 04:57 AM

Hi canuker,
Ambergris Caye is a resort, for all intents and purposes, and the prices are the same that one would expect in a resort. Not cheap, for the most part. There are some reasonably priced meals to be had on island, but the majority of the selections are high priced. That's the reality of the situation.

There was a time when San Pedro Town was okay for prices, even though it was at the high end of Belize, which was in turn at the high end of Central America. Now, it's no longer "okay", it's plain expensive.

Sure, you can eat street from the vendor's carts and save a few dollars. You can grab a 1/2 fried chicken at the chinese joint near the post office for BZ$8 or so. They have cold beer at reasonable prices, too. Compared to other places on the island, these are examples of less expensive alternatives.

There are still quite a few places that sell tacos for BZ$1 or so. I think that the bakery has some good offerings for sweet breads that make for a reasonably priced breakfast, especially with a cold glass of fresh squeezed orange juice. However, sometimes you just have to realize that you're in a suburb of Cancun and endure the prices.

I misspent my youth in the southwest and I like the cooking. My granny was born in the Territory of New Mexico and was trilingual, speaking spanish, english and dine. When I was a kid, the best way to spend time with the girls in my neighborhood was to help in the kitchen, and I learned to like home cooked mexican food.

On the mainland I enjoy good food on the cheap. In San Pedro Town I eat local food which is okay and high priced. At least a few times per trip I get a really expensive meal, such as a steak at the Blue Water. It's good and it's pricey, but every now and then a fellow wants a nice slab-o-meat.

On the board everybody makes a stink about the burritos at one of the stands on Middle Street. They're okay. I often have one myself. But they're only fair compared to the food at places I normally eat at in the USA, such as Los Dos Molinos. I still mourn the passing of one of my favorite mexican restaurants in LA, which was burned to the ground during the Rodney King riots, but there are many like it where I can get a bigger & better burro than at the stand on Middle Street while paying less.

I like good seafood. I made my living cooking in the Pacific Northwest, and I fed the Mayor of Portland, as well as the Governor of Oregon. I run around with a girl in New England and we tramp around the coastal joints in New Hampshire & Maine. Now, there's some good eats up that way, and sometimes you can get quite reasonable prices. For example, I had lobster claws and chowder for $15 back in July. In San Pedro Town, you can get good food, but you'll pay resort prices. I'm not crying about it, but that's the way it is.

Overall,it's important to have realistic expectations of the food in San Pedro Town. It's often quite good, but it's rarely inexpensive.

Dan

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/08/08 05:34 AM

Dan, I guess it's a matter of perspective. I don't consider SP a resort island - not even close, well maybe getting closer than 4 or 5 years ago, but still a long ways to go. I also don't consider it expensive. The first time we were there I made a comment about things being pretty reasonably priced and the proprieter I was talking to said, "You must be from California or New York." So I guess it depends on what you're used to. I'm not a big fan of the street vendors, but we do cook in a couple of times each trip and we are not 3-meal-a-day people, so breakfast and dinner are pretty much it and with breakfast included in the room price at Banana Beach, eating just doesn't run us much. Now bar tabs, that's a whole other thread wink
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/08/08 01:13 PM

Good Job Dan smile
Posted By: shaarrin

Re: Where the heck do you guys eat??? - 09/09/08 05:54 AM

Does anyone know if Rojo Lounge going to be open in October?
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board