AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Island Legends

Posted By: lovey and thurston

Island Legends - 07/25/08 05:23 PM

Reading about the passing of J.D. and Richie made me start reminising about some of the island legends we have lost. Just thinking about them brings back all kinds of memories that make me smile. Here is a list of some of those legendary characters:
1. Paisano
2. Jim Wade
3.Eliana and Jimpa Parham
3.Rev. Bill
4. Jackie Devine
5.Trish Meyercord
6.Herman Smith
7.Carl Richie
8. Richie Woods
9.J.D.
10.Jerry McDermott
11. Tom Kirkpatrick

Add some of your own to the list and think of the funny stories and memories. Most are expates who were true free spirits, living here before we had pizza deliveries, vehicles or air conditioning. All were facinating people with great life stories. Someone asked who would take their place, but it seems we just keep adding new and interesting characters thru the years

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 05:30 PM

Forgot John Greif
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 05:46 PM

Woody Canaday
Trish Carter
Richard Ysaguirre

Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 05:56 PM

Jesse--who was the tall guy--owned the house by Castillos--Dr. Dan's office now?

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 05:58 PM

John______________ (I'll remember soon)
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 06:35 PM

John Langford. Lovely man. I always enjoyed his sage advice.

Old Man John Grief was an absolute hoot.

Oh gosh, everybody mentioned above has many great stories linked to them.

Mervyn Key too.

Where did I see photo of Richard Ysaguirre the other day. Man he could play a mean piano.

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 06:36 PM

How could I forget Woody. Think Trish Meyercord and Trish Carter are one and the same??? Ask Laura
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 06:38 PM

Celeste

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 06:39 PM

Trish Meyercord was wonderful to me. She bought my high school graduation prom dress. What a night to remember.

Herman Smith taught me so much about life, and death. He was a trooper to the end.

Jerry McDermott was one of my first bosses. He and Linda taught me so much about business and living life to its fullest.

Carl Richee was a hell of a pastry chef - and was so generous.

Paisano - when we were kids he would give out candy and always had a kind uplifting spirit.

Jackie Devine was a mother figure to so many of us.

Man I want to talk about everyone on the list but I gotta go work....

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 07:13 PM

Wish I had Trish's writing skills. Have always wanted to write a book with stories and andecdotes of all these great people. Any talented people out there??? Amanada, Fortunatly, your father is still with us (and for I long time I hope), but he will probably someday be part of this list of island legends. In my minds eye I can see him with his perfectly groomed mustache and military bearing , striding purposfully up the beach. I always smiled thinking if he just had a pith helmet,it was like a scene from "Passage to India". Anyone remember they put a pvc pipe down Rev. Bills grave, so Norman could take him a drink occasionally?
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 07:14 PM

Amanda, I knew all the names above except for one. Guess Im getting old.

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 07:25 PM

Ummm, there's no guessing needed in that department - ha ha.

Hey Ernie I hope you are kicking around for a very long time to come.

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 07:34 PM

HA! SO DO I !

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 07:52 PM

Come on Ernie, you're not that old! However, a couple of years ago, after we had observed about 4 wakes in a row at B.C.s, Charlene did tell Thurston and I she wouldn't let us run a bar tab anymore!

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 08:00 PM

LOL !

Charlene LOVED my bar tabs, especially when I got around to paying em !

Ernie
Posted By: govikes

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 10:22 PM

Stuart and Beverly from the ol Green Parrot. Had so much fun with them when we'd go up to visit (and watch Bev cringe when the parrots used to to yell 'lets party' and then LAUGH for 20 minutes!

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 11:15 PM

How about the old Britsh chap that used to hang out at Tarzans and Fido's in a Speedo--in his 90's
I want to say Sir Edmund but I remember being chastized by him for not saying it right.
God I wish I had a picture of him.

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 11:28 PM

Im glad I DONT !

Re: Island Legends - 07/25/08 11:30 PM

Belizeonthebeach reminded me of George Vietch. He was the manager of the Barrier Reef Hotel (old Blake house) for years.

There is a Sir Edward maintains a home here, but I don't remember seeing him in a speedo.

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 12:13 AM

So now that it is cocktail hour, how about some of our favorite stories??? I just pulled out a copy of the old "Coconut Wireless". Editor in Chief was the unforgettable Linda Cornelison. Funniest newspaper I've ever read. This particular issue featured one of our island legends (Name withheld). Seems the gentleman was house sitting up north, decided to make it a night in town. He picked up a Honduran hooker and left in the house owners boat. Unfortunatly the boat was out of gas. When the home owners returned and saw no sign of the housesitter or boat,they panicked and called out a search party. The happy couple were eventually found on a neighboring Caye. The headline of the "Coconut Wireless" reads. "This gives new meaning to being blown offshore". I have saved this copy for many years as it is a classic.
Posted By: bywarren

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 12:28 AM

Peter and Peggy Hancock. The "Bushman" Alfred Serano.
Posted By: natalie p

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 12:34 AM

Jim Currie and the 'Pameline'.
Jim Wade.
Chicho Reyes.

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 01:09 AM

Chicho is gone ?
Posted By: CB Belize

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 01:15 AM

this thread got me thinking, I have been reading about all these"legends" passing on, and it just seems like there has been alot of people passing in the last few months.., i have lost 3 of my close family memebers (Grandfather.Aunt.cousin) since march..., is it just me or ????

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 01:22 AM

Take a break, Casa

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 01:23 AM

what do you mean??

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 02:29 AM

Probably a different Chicho than you are thinking of. He was very old, lived up near me in Buena Vista.

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 02:34 AM

Thank you

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 02:44 AM

Chicho was in his 70s...but kept on fathering kids with his young wife...an interesting guy who had retired from the merchant marines. Lotta spirit in that old man!
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 10:31 AM

Elaine...who was Celeste's mother, Maria (the Black Orchid), and last but not least, Spanish's monkey. PS. Thanks Bywarren for remembering Serano...I hope he and his friend Harry Carey are having a few.

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 12:28 PM

Yes, Bill. And for those who did not know him, his name was Alfred Serano. He was a Carib from Dangriga who tended bar at the Holliday Hotel and the Barrier Reef. His last venture was a store and bar north of town - before the river, named "The Bushman". Don't know why a bartender came to my mind. wink

And for those who didn't know the Hancocks, Peter was a genious in many ways. He used to repair our two way radios when they were the main way of commuication on the island before cell phones.

PS: To follow Jesse's lead in giving more information, the story I heard about Serano's passing was he had a heart attack and died while having sex with a much younger woman. And, when the police came to take him away, a part of his body was still - well in that state of having not finished what he started out to do.
Cowboys call it dying with your boots on. Don't know what Carib's call it. smile
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 02:37 PM

Don Fido.
Posted By: elbert

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 02:40 PM

Amen Jesse, that guy was a neighbor for a while when I first came to the island and quite an inspiration for me. he knew how to live.

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 03:38 PM

Hey, Thanks for remembering Serrano. He was like the gentle giant. Very intelligent man and really in to politics. Didn't he run unsuccessfully for Town Board at one time? I think his bar was called "Our Place". He was kind of a figure head for the island garifuna community. R.B. and I stopped by his place and spent an evening with him shortly before he died.
Posted By: RMT

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 03:39 PM

Bywarren,

Was Peggy Hancock the British lady everyone would refer to as "Miss Peggy"?
She was one of the first locals we met on our first visit to Sp in I believe 1999. Very regal and dignified lady. I remember having a pleasant conversation with her. I believe she lived up north if I recall right.

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 04:10 PM

Yes, they lived in the Tres Cocos area long before it was a "booming suburb".

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 07:00 PM

Peter and Peggy Hancock were pioneers that lived "way north" back in the days when we didn't have a bridge or even the hand pulled ferry.

Miss Peggy used to row to town for many years.

They raised a family here that continues to grow... and they are the parents of our one and only Natalie P.

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 07:04 PM

And don't forget son Mike.
Posted By: RMT

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 08:15 PM

Aw..Okay I do remember now that Natlie P. was her daughter. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: azbob

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 08:38 PM

In my opinion, there are a couple of "Living Legends" on this Board right now!!!!

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 08:52 PM

Ut Oh

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 11:35 PM

I am sure that was a compliment.

Re: Island Legends - 07/26/08 11:37 PM

Are Ya ?
Posted By: azbob

Re: Island Legends - 07/27/08 02:02 AM

It was a very respectful comment. There is so much history here and those that experienced it. I bow to you all! What wonderful people, those that have passed and those that are still with us. I doubt you know what you mean to so many!
Posted By: Artistamy.com

Re: Island Legends - 07/27/08 02:36 AM

Wow I have tears rolling done my cheeks. A great group of individual spirits with good hearts. Don't forget Crusher. I was in san franciso today watching sailboats in the bay. Wishing I was in Belize.

Re: Island Legends - 07/27/08 04:22 AM

Oh yeah, I still remember Crusher out in front of Sea Turtle...waving and saying hello to everyone that passed.

Re: Island Legends - 07/27/08 05:18 AM

Finding Pics of all these legends is going to be a drama.
I have a pretty good start going though

Re: Island Legends - 07/27/08 10:06 AM

Bywarren: The story I got from Miss Shirley was Serano's wife, who was a younger women...took off and/or cheated on him. Serano became very depressed and stopped eating. Shirley told me that Serano had the "walking death look" last time she saw him and not too soon after, he was found "at home" dead. Serano really loved the Chicago Cubs with a passion. He loved to watch the Cubs play on TV...I got royal treatment when I told him that Harry Caray was a fellow St Louisian. The passing of Harry really affected Serano. Serano was a very imposing figure...but with such a fine soft heart. He told me that as a kid he used to cut cane with the machete. His bicep had gotten so over developed that it "sort of exploded", thus the incision on his right bicep. The name "Bushman" came from the sugar cane fields...a very dangerous snake called the Bushman is a menace to all machete choppers.

Re: Island Legends - 07/27/08 01:04 PM

Thanks Bill. You know how stories and rumors go on “As The Island Turns”.
I can relate a personal experience I had with him. He had invited me to come to Dangriga with him for Carib Settlement Day for a number of years. My friend Dave Barrows and I finally went one year. He showed us a great time. We walked and ate at the numerous stands where the ladies were cooking, danced the Punta all night long - took my body weeks to recover - and watched the re-enactment of the canoes landing a daylight. One of my most enjoyable experiences in Belize made that way by a kind person taking time to introduce me to much of his heritage.

And for his sake, I hope the version I heard was the way he went.

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 03:38 AM

...to be for sure, we were both fortunate to know such a man.

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 03:52 AM

Gosh...we forgot to mention my/our old friend Smokey. Smokey grew up in Dangriga...and he said his childhood was one of hard work. He told me he built a house for his mother, I believe, and he was proud it still stood. He left home and fell in love with San Pedro. Smokey had plenty of opportunities to advance himself, but...he was deprieved of a childhood with hard physical labor. Guess he saved his childhood until adulthood...preferring to dance all night with the gringa's instead of working all day for the gringo's. As previously mentioned...Smokey was a very intelligent person.
Posted By: rastapasta

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 03:59 AM

Let's not forget Albert Gill the man of Rasta Pasta and all his great reggae music and great spirit he added to the island
Maralyn
Posted By: Barefoot Skinny

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 08:42 AM

Paisano
Jim Wade
Eliana and Jimpa Parham
Rev. Bill
Jackie Devine
Trish Meyercord
Herman Smith
Carl Richie
Richie Woods
J.D.
Jerry McDermott
Tom Kirkpatrick
Woody Canaday
Trish Carter
Richard Ysaguirre
Carl Richee
Celeste

I won't forget a one of them. Thanks to all of them for making me see what life is worth. I still have one.
TB
P I won't go on about Alfred... too much history
PS Don't forget Sauve, Sergio, Paul Steel and Harry Burnett.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 03:09 PM

I must be realy old ....... nobody remembers Don Fido Nunez??
He was first mayor of SP, started FIDO's - which was originally a place to watch movies. He was an original San Pedrano - died whilst fishing early one morning. How he loved to fish.

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 03:23 PM

I am old. I remember Fido (Wilfrido Nunez) very well and his wife Fina who is still alive, their son Wil Nunez is the well known muscian who plays with Dale.
They had a little grocery store in the late 50's called "Fina's", then they built "Fido's Hotel", which is now "Fido's Courtyard and Pier"
The cinema I think started at Fido's , then he built a wooden structure to make a movie house where "Tarzan's" (Jaguar's)is now.

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 04:36 PM

Of course I remember Don Fido - and all the characters that have followed in the ownership link of Fidos.

We used to go the movie theatre when we were kids. Kung Fu movies with dubbed Spanish and english subtitles.

You could hear candy roll down the floor because of the huge slant.

But, we are talking about local legends not legendary places.....

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 04:39 PM

Mr. Pete Martinez the boxer that lived up north, I can't remember if it was a Playa Blanca or Buena Vista. When we were kids we would go up in dug out canoes to picnic and barbeque. Mr. Pete would always let us have some coconut husks to get the fire going.

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 05:11 PM

remember the movie theater at the Jaguar location. Our kids loved to go there. Don't remember the one at Fido's though, Maybe I'm not so old after all!!!

Don't think I ever knew Mr. Martinez name, but we used to go up north for barbeque's. He would sometimes be making coconut oil when we were there.

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 05:34 PM

I think Mr. Pete lived behind Capricorn. He came into the clinic one day complaining about his feet hurting.I looked down and his shoes were on the wrong foot, I switched them over, he hugged me and left the clinic with a big smile saying "I'm cured".

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 06:36 PM

HA!!! Natalie. Yah fell for the ole shoes on the wrong feet ploy.

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 06:43 PM

While the subject of Fido's is current...Does anyone remember a Frenchman, around 1985, who owned the pizza place on the left as one walks into Fido's. My rememberance was he sailed to Belize from France after high school...opened the pizza joint in San Pedro...made enough dough to buy, then sell his house near Saga and then, built another sailboat and sailed back to France.

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 08:14 PM

Sorry Bill, I was in UK in '85.
Anyone remember Miss Martha, grandmother af the Leslie boys?
She was such a colourful character and I looked forward to her daily visits to the clinic.
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Thornton
...opened the pizza joint in San Pedro...made enough dough to buy, then sell his house...
Prez, did you do that on purpose? laugh

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 11:37 PM

Ah, Leah-Ann...yah a sharp one. It must have totally when over Natalies hed. wink

Re: Island Legends - 07/28/08 11:59 PM

you always make me smile! smile

Re: Island Legends - 07/29/08 12:15 AM

...me, too.

Re: Island Legends - 07/29/08 12:18 AM

...and sometimes laugh outloud! laugh

(where are those special x-ray goggles when you need 'em??? wink )

Re: Island Legends - 07/29/08 12:26 AM

What head? Where? confused

Re: Island Legends - 07/29/08 02:55 AM

my grandparents told me stories of the legendary "Fido", was the best fisherman on the island hands down.... if not the greatest legend to ever walk Ambergris caye.
I'll ask my grandmother if she has any pics of him

Re: Island Legends - 07/29/08 08:59 AM

blush

Re: Island Legends - 07/29/08 12:59 PM

...and how 'bout that ole cutthroat...Eddie Treach. It was sooo cool when he set his hare of fir.
Posted By: Photo Lady

Re: Island Legends - 07/29/08 10:52 PM

Does anyone remember the one and ONLY policeman we had here in the late 70's named Smitty? Back then we didn't have jails so if you were being "disorderly" Smitty would draw a circle around a palm tree and make you sit in the circle until he said you could come out. He did it to Jerry McDermott once. Back then, we respected our Policeman. He was really kewl.

Also, Trish Meyercord and Trish Carter are the same person. Meyercord was my mother's married name and then she changed it back to her maiden name Carter. I still have all her writings RB and Judy. I hope to one day get them all together in a book.
Posted By: shuffles

Re: Island Legends - 07/29/08 10:55 PM

I love that.....an adult version of "time out"

Re: Island Legends - 07/29/08 11:01 PM

Wow photo lady your Mom's writing was fun. It would be neat to have them published.

Re: Island Legends - 07/29/08 11:22 PM

Photo, To add a little more humor to the 'circle in the sand' story, try this. Jerry McDermott and the constable were drinking at a palapa bar in Boca Del Rio and got into a heated discussion. The constable hit Jerry and knocked him off his stool, of course Jerry got up and promptly decked the constable. Thats when he told Jerry to get in the circle. Jerry responded that the constable hit him first so, the constable agreed and declared them both under arrest and joined Jerry. They apparently worked up a thirst but the only place still open was about 100 yards down the beach. There was a man who played guitar in the bars for tips. As he was on his way home Jerry ask him to go get a couple drinks for them, the guitar man ask why they dont get their own drinks, you can imagine the look on the guys face when they explained that were under arrest.

Re: Island Legends - 07/29/08 11:32 PM

Also heard someone gave Jerry a bottle of rum while he was in the circle, Linda and I were laughing about that story a while back. She said when they called her to come get Jerry, she told them they could just "keep his happy a### there for the night. Laura, glad you are recovering well. Would love to have those writings of your Mother. She was a talent.

Re: Island Legends - 07/29/08 11:34 PM

Laura, How about putting the addy for your website on here to share with the message board. You're quite a talent as well!!
Posted By: Nitrox

Re: Island Legends - 07/29/08 11:43 PM

We forgot T_T_T_Tony Eily...what a reader. He used to sit with Richard in Woody's cabana and read everything he could get his hands on. I am proud to say I remember most of these people and a few more who were only with us a few short years. I keep checking my pulse to be sure I'm not next!!!

Re: Island Legends - 07/29/08 11:55 PM

Lovey, Id wager there are more stories about Jerry than we could post on this board !
Posted By: iluvbelize

Re: Island Legends - 07/30/08 12:07 AM

Stories with a cast of legends and characters in San Pedro - by a legend himself - Mervino. For new comers who haven't checked this out yet, enjoy: http://mervino.com/window/bestbird.html

Marty also has this posted on this board under History. I LOVE Mervino's journal.

Re: Island Legends - 07/30/08 01:39 AM

I can add a true story about San Pedro's first policeman, Smitty. I flew him in my airplane to the States for what was supposed to be a "vacation" for him. To my best knowledge, he was never seen in Belize again. I will not comment on illegal immigration in the US.

Also, too long of a story to try and tell on the message board, but for those of you on the island, ask Eddie Halliday to tell you the story of Jerry McDermott and the "briefcase".

Re: Island Legends - 07/30/08 06:38 AM

Agreed - Mervino's writings are great. Reef Ransom helped get me hooked...
//ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/article36.html#nov101
Posted By: Bearfoot Gibby

Re: Island Legends - 07/31/08 09:18 PM

Marie Haylock was a wonderful lady whio lived a very interesting life. Her and husband Bradley were two of my first new friends when I lived in Belmopan in the early 90's.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Island Legends - 07/31/08 11:00 PM

i love this thread....
Posted By: Dallas Dave

Re: Island Legends - 08/01/08 12:17 AM

Hey Gibby...Marie was my girlfriend as I called her. She always told me that if she was just 20 years younger.....

Re: Island Legends - 08/01/08 06:08 PM

Dave: I should get credit for Marie. On page 3 of this thread, although I could not remember her last name...I did refer to her as the Black Orchid. Well...to be fair, I'll share credit with you. Bill
Posted By: papashine

Re: Island Legends - 08/01/08 06:37 PM

Lets not forget Harry Burnette, the original crazy canuck!
Posted By: Bearfoot Gibby

Re: Island Legends - 08/01/08 08:06 PM

Sorry for being redundant Bill, I never knew Marie as "Maria The Black Orchid".

Re: Island Legends - 08/02/08 12:36 AM

...okay, Gibby, you can have partial credit, too.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board