AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Shopping safely in San Pedro

Posted By: Teach

Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/02/08 06:17 PM

Ok, I know this is probably a stupid question coming from a paranoid person BUT this will be my first time on Amgbergris Caye. I have noted that renting a golf cart seems the way around. We will be staying at Caye Villas. So when we go shopping in San Pedro, is there storage to place items in the golf cart so that you can feel safe in leaving items in the golf cart as you shop at other places? Hope that makes sense.
Thanks,
Teach
Posted By: *I Do* Belize Weddings

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/02/08 06:23 PM

There is no storage in the carts and it is highly advised to take all of your items purchased and personal items with you when you go into another location.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/02/08 06:28 PM

As the saying goes: "If you don't want it, leave it in your golf cart"
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/02/08 06:31 PM

Absolutely, I have has my sandals, towels, cigarettes, half bottle of beer, anything lose, the kids will take it. They will even take the cart if you fail to lock it.
Posted By: pugwash

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/02/08 06:44 PM

The only thing I find remarkable about that story is that Ernie left half a bottle of beer?

Posted By: SimonB

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/02/08 06:52 PM

Check expiry dates on EVERYTHING.

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/02/08 06:54 PM

Pug, you didnt sign "IULZ". It wasnt my beer.
Posted By: Teach

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/02/08 07:02 PM

So do other grocery stores have a problem with taking bags into their stores?

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/02/08 07:10 PM

Grocery stores are the exception. I never went to two grocery stores on the same day. Do your grocery stop last.
Posted By: *I Do* Belize Weddings

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/02/08 08:25 PM

they do not have an issue bringing bags into stores.
I have rarely gone shopping without visiting at least two stores.
To make a pan on lasagna requires a total of four grocery stores to get all of the ingredients.

I even had Karmin's very old dog leash stolen out of my cart cubbie along with a an old pair of my shoes.
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/02/08 09:29 PM

just make the second trip quick, and one of you stay in the cart. sometimes i bring an empty duffle bag or backpack to haul stuff. clip it on the back rails so your stuff doesnt fly off the cart on bumps. it isn't rocket science. you'll have a better trip if you use your head and don't make big deals where there aren't any.
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/02/08 11:34 PM

If you are savy ,and do not do Anything silly ,you will have a blast just use your common sense..Enjoy your stay And ,go live the dream..
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/03/08 02:36 AM

Sorry I feel this way, but what's amazing to me is that we don't find this a bit disturbing. It's just the way things are on the island.

But lee tiefs grow up to be big tiefs.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/03/08 02:42 AM

Its more than a bit disturbing...thats why we are having meetings with the ComPol and other top officials about the crime problem, and creating a group of trained civilian police assistants, and now have the BDF patrolling the island, and the Coast Guard stationed here permanently, and have 12 neighborhood watch groups started up with overall management by the Town Council. Things are happening!
Posted By: shuffles

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/03/08 02:52 AM

I go shopping on a regular basis. Generally, this takes me about four hours for about four days' worth of stuff. I plan my trip so that my last stop closest to home is for cold stuff. I always pay attention to where I park my cart, and have things bungy-corded on (as Keli says to avoid them bouncing off). I have NEVER had anything stolen off my cart (knock wood). However, I did have my take away chicken quesadillas taken off my cart behind BC's once.....could have been by a four legged tief......and maybe I spent too much time on margaritas that night!
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/03/08 02:17 PM

You can always bring a friend along to sit in cart - I have done that job before and it is not too bad.
Posted By: natalie p

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/03/08 02:41 PM

I lock a cooler with a bike lock on the back of the cart and put everything in there.I'm looking for a lockable cooler which would be even better.
Posted By: Inplub

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/03/08 03:46 PM

Shuffles you say you never had anything stolen off your golf cart, I do not know if it is true, but did you not have your golf cart stolen. I am still looking for my golf cart Black BZ C22025, anybody seen it.
Posted By: shuffles

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/03/08 03:51 PM

Yes! it was stolen....at night..... about three years ago....but I was only responding to the question about "shopping" .... that cart was stolen twice...recovered once missing everything...the next time, just ran out of juice.

How long has your cart been missing? Is it gas or electric? Will keep my eyes peeled for it.

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/03/08 04:03 PM

I do not know how long it has been missing as I am still looking it to the mater it is electric. The owner of the Greenhouse told me the last time she had seen it was it had had the roof cut off and the police stoped it out side her shop
Posted By: bywarren

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/03/08 04:32 PM

The police stoped your stolen cart and did not do anything? frown

Re: Shopping safely in San Pedro - 08/03/08 04:37 PM

It was not stolen then, but I was told they took it away and the people looking after the cart then had to go to the police and get it back. All the sticker for the golf cart were on the inside of the roof.

While I was in San Pedro a month ago I tried to find the golf cart and I had to renew all the paperwork, which took me 2 hours, it should have taken 2 weeks.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board