AmbergrisCaye.com Home

road north

Posted By: Teach

road north - 08/03/08 02:57 PM

OK so does the golf cart "road" go all the way to Caye Villas? Is it drivable at night coming from town? We were going to rent a cart for the whole two weeks. We plan to eat dinner out every evening. So any suggestions?
Posted By: elbert

Re: road north - 08/03/08 03:03 PM

Not a good plan,it runs along the lagoon side, the mosquitoes on the road, no street lights, pot holes, flooding out in places , I could go on.
Get an island ferry pass for the week and go every where you want.
runs to town and all the restaurants. Easy, it picks you up and drops you off on your own dock.
runs through the night and first run in the am is 7:45 from your place.
I buy the tokens in bulk and get a good discount.
when you get to town you'll find the land cabs are dirt cheap and will wait on you while you shop.
I usually pay $2. to 3. us (per stop)for a land cab, its a little more if you go south on the island but by US standards its still dirt cheap.
Posted By: tincup

Re: road north - 08/03/08 05:53 PM

Last time I checked with Island Ferry they were only selling week passes to the timeshare resorts. Has anyone else been able to buy one? I have a lot of interest from my guests and would certainly suggest buying them. Would love to hear that they are available to anyone now.

Re: road north - 08/03/08 05:59 PM

I called and checked
your right
The tokens are the way to go right now.
thanks for the correction.
Posted By: Belize-N-Us

Re: road north - 08/03/08 08:18 PM

We are partial to staying south of town for that very reason. Who wants to wait on a boat / ride in a boat frequently to town for meals and shopping, then get off the boat and find a ride around town? Too much hassel for us.

Posted By: Otteralum

Re: road north - 08/03/08 08:27 PM

Agreed -- for now. I too like staying right in town or just south. However, at the rate of change taking place on the caye -- far north is a good deal where the infrastucture and transportation will eventually catch-up and make property very expensive in the next decade or so.
Posted By: pugwash

Re: road north - 08/03/08 08:45 PM

It gets really annoying to have you youngsters rub it in the face of those of us who don't have a decade or so left without having to consider wheelchair access wink
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: road north - 08/03/08 08:47 PM

And, a keeper for some of us.

Re: road north - 08/03/08 08:58 PM

The Norths remoteness keeps out the riff raff.
like a gated community.
Private, Quiet and peaceful
but if I where a rapper or loved to hear Bob Marley over and over I definitely would stay in town.
Posted By: NYgal

Re: road north - 08/03/08 09:01 PM

smile

Re: road north - 08/03/08 09:03 PM

always smile
Posted By: debbief

Re: road north - 08/04/08 04:10 AM

I was able to get a weekly pass for my trip in July. I made the arrangements by email, then picked the passes up and paid cash when I arrived. I don't think you can just walk up and buy them at the dock. It turned out to be a good deal for them because the weather was beautiful and we used golf carts more than the Island Ferry (but it was nice to have them just in case the roads were bad!).

Re: road north - 08/04/08 02:49 PM

I jogged the road between Belize Legacy and Journeys end this morning and its dry, wasn't to bad but still even calling it a dirt road is flattery.

Re: road north - 08/04/08 10:59 PM

And it weaves in and out of being on the beach, so you will at some point be driving on the beach through some peoples front yards , and who needs that!
take the ferry

Re: road north - 08/07/08 01:02 AM

I was told that land cabs do NOT go up north? Is that not correct?
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: road north - 08/07/08 01:05 AM

HUH ?
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: road north - 08/07/08 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Teach
I was told that land cabs do NOT go up north? Is that not correct?

TRUE!!!
Posted By: shuffles

Re: road north - 08/07/08 03:12 AM

Last time the issue was discussed on this board, I said that only a cab that transports a handicapped child to special ed was allowed to cross the bridge, and only then to transport her to and from school. Many folks living north of the bridge corrected me and stated that taxis, utility vehicles, etc., cross the bridge on a regular basis....... news to me, and from what I know, against the ordinance put into place when the bridge was opened.

Apparently, (shocking) there is no enforcement of this ordinance.

Re: road north - 08/07/08 03:17 AM

You have evidence? Or is this yet another rumour?
Posted By: shuffles

Re: road north - 08/07/08 03:36 AM

Ah yes, I am quite the rumour monger....."Many folks living north of the bridge corrected me" was what I said...and here's the link to the previous discussion. You can ask those that responded about evidence. I never claimed to have any.

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/286957/Re_Golf_Cart_Taxi_To_The_North.html#Post286957
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: road north - 08/07/08 06:32 AM

Maybe we should name the stretch from the round-about to the bridge "The road less traveled." I don't understand why WSE is not required to restore the road to the condition it was before they began. I talked to some of the workmen and they said "Oh, the town is going to pave it." HA - in the mean time it is one long mud hole and the beach is now as torn up as the road used to be.
Also, now that the San Pedro Water Taxi has moved to Wet Willy's dock they have taken out the barricades beside theBlue Tang and taxi's fill up the beach area waiting for passengers.
Posted By: TacoBoy

Re: road north - 08/07/08 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by ScubaLdy

Also, now that the San Pedro Water Taxi has moved to Wet Willy's dock they have taken out the barricades beside theBlue Tang and taxi's fill up the beach area waiting for passengers.

not anymore. posts have been put in barring cars/trucks at the last cross road before you get down to the Blue Tang/Wet Willies area. also, speaking of the road north we did a little golfcart adventure north last weekend. we made it up to Belize Legacy. It was a bumpy ride but fun (and lunch at Ak'Bol was great!)
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: road north - 08/07/08 03:29 PM

Your pictures very clearly show why it s referred to as “Not a road.” Thanks so much. I would hate to try to cross that ‘sea grass bridge’ after a rain.

Re: road north - 08/07/08 03:32 PM

Thank you so much for the photos. Is sure helps to put things into perspective.

Re: road north - 08/07/08 03:48 PM

those photos are great Taco Girl does a wonderful job with her blog.
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: road north - 08/07/08 04:13 PM

Thanks all smile
Posted By: Tim Callanan

Re: road north - 08/07/08 07:32 PM

Nice job, I love the high tech bridge.Where was the worst spot?
Posted By: SimonB

Re: road north - 08/08/08 12:33 AM

Sorry but your pictures are outdated. They did the right thing by putting the posts in, now they have taken them out and vehicles are driving up and down the beach without restriction.

Re: road north - 08/08/08 12:59 AM

Wow that was fast Simon I only took them on Sunday.

Re: road north - 08/08/08 02:10 AM

They took them out on Monday.

Re: road north - 08/08/08 06:39 AM

Back in again at the old location as of tonight.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: road north - 08/08/08 04:37 PM

Thanks tacogirl.....you would think they could run the grater down that bad stretch......do they still have a grater that works?

Re: road north - 08/08/08 09:07 PM

I agree about grater Loansum.

I would think they still have a working grater on the island - nothing to back that statement up with though. Maybe someone else can offer up accurate grater info.
Posted By: Bill Mc Ghee

Re: road north - 08/08/08 09:17 PM

Grater = Grader as in road grader smile
Posted By: papashine

Re: road north - 08/08/08 09:19 PM

grater is for cheese and such!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: road north - 08/08/08 09:19 PM

Sorry Bill, I meant road smoother grin
Posted By: Bill Mc Ghee

Re: road north - 08/08/08 09:35 PM

wink

Re: road north - 08/08/08 09:38 PM

Yes, the Town Council has a working grader. It just two days ago smoothed Coco Plum Street north of the Sausage Factory.
Posted By: ragman

Re: road north - 08/08/08 09:45 PM

T,

There is a private grader at the condo at .5 I've seen. I have been informed that there may be another at 2.5 eventually, but I've never seen much north of there. You are brave with your adventure North. I've only been as far as Capt. Morgan’s and a few times I couldn't make it that far.

You have given me ideas that Raggirl will not like for my next visit. I would love to try the trip that you made. I guess it will depend on the weather this January. A few times I've seen golf carts stuck up there. An ATV would not have much trouble though. You have a very nice Blog and between the news, your blog, and this message board I almost feel like I'm there when I'm here. I'll be there on a more permanent basis in a few short years but for now I'll have to pour a rum and listen to a CD by Kelly.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board