AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Letter to the "Editor" by Mark Johnson

Posted By: Marty

Letter to the "Editor" by Mark Johnson - 08/12/08 03:40 PM

We were excited to hear about the $ donated to San Pedro. i'm sure everyone has good ideas on how to spend it. As i took the 50 cent lite rail train to watch our Minnesota Twins beat up on the Cleveland Indians last Saturday, at the Hubert H. Humphrey Memorial Metrodome, it hit me like a ton of bricks, how much the government spends on public transportation. Then i thought of Sterling at Island Ferry, struggling to do it on his own, just as the 2 previous owners did. If you ride his ferry enough you realize how it is such an integral part San Pedro's society and merits government assistance as much or more than anything else the town counsel does for us. People depend on it to get to and from work and tourists rely on it to get around and spend all that $ they brought with them. I'm afraid without the help of the local govt. we'll see the decline and possibly even the disappearance of our main mode of transportation that too many take for granted now.
Dr. Mark Johnson
Posted By: pugwash

Re: Letter to the "Editor" by Mark Johnson - 08/12/08 04:28 PM

Excellent letter: oil prices affect everything

Combine the prospect of fewer tourists due to escalating air fares with the additional fuel costs, and there is the real potential for diminished or discontinued service.

This is yet another area in which a graduated property tax to fund infrastructure and essential services could have a positive effect?

Somehow finding a way to blame George Bush would be of little consolation to anyone having to walk the golf cart road to and from town!
Posted By: o jackie

Re: Letter to the "Editor" by Mark Johnson - 08/12/08 04:30 PM

I know this is about transportation, but, there is an error in the post....On Saturday August 2nd, the Cleveland Indians beat up the Minnesota Twins, 5-1. Hmmmm....and he is a doctor.....

Re: Letter to the "Editor" by Mark Johnson - 08/12/08 04:37 PM

He was "on the way to see his Twins...."

While I doubt he was refunded for their lack of performance and not living up to his expectations, there was surely no need to revise all his thoughts that day?

Re: Letter to the "Editor" by Mark Johnson - 08/12/08 04:42 PM

It could have been Friday or Sunday.....He was confused on the Train....Or for 50 cents, it could have been a 3 day trip.....

Re: Letter to the "Editor" by Mark Johnson - 08/12/08 04:48 PM

Or he's a Minnesota Liberal*, and confused all the time?

It was a very good letter though, so there must be another explanation?

*I have no basis for this speculation, and have never met or conversed with Dr Johnson, but this was to good an opportunity to let slip by wink

Re: Letter to the "Editor" by Mark Johnson - 08/12/08 04:53 PM

Well,Mark Johnson is our local weather man, so, he is just as confused....Maybe its the name thing....
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board