AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Hotels for this weekend

Posted By: PSUhorty

Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 03:15 PM

I'm EXTREMELY close to booking a flight to SP for this weekend. Departing Sat and coming back Tues. Someone talk me into or out of this please.

ANYWAY, I'm reasonably familiar w/the hotels down there, but still, am looking for a bit of guidance- I prefer to stay in SP and am looking for cheap rooms. Which hotels should i contact? Ruby's? Spindrift? Lily's? Any others I'm missing?
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 03:27 PM

book it - you know you want to smile

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by tacogirl
book it - you know you want to smile

Oh, I KNOW I want to. No doubt about that. Right now, trying to talk a friend into joining me. Awaiting his reply. Told him that I need to know by 1PM. If he can go, 100% chance- I'm there. If he can't, 50% chance as it will be just me going. Further, it is where my ex GF and I vacationed this past march. Recently broke up and still having a terrible time dealing with it. It would be hard returning to SP w/out her and alone.
Posted By: azbob

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 03:33 PM

You go for it! Ruby's!

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 06:34 PM

Alright... my friend bailed out. Just couldn't fit it in at the last minute. So, it's either I go alone or not at all.

Really between a rock and a hard place for sure. Like I said, it is where my ex GF and I had our last vacation together (which we both said was the best ever) and we broke up just over a month ago.

Such a good deal on a flight, it's hard to pass up. At the same time, I hate risking the $$ in the event that I get down there and have the memories of 'us' overwhelm the good times I should be having. I also dearly miss SP though. Would love to go back. Just afraid it's too early to do so!

frown :?
Posted By: purdygrl

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 06:42 PM

Dear PSU,

Maybe coming down and having the surf and sand, good food and a few cocktails will help you. Here are some suggestions stay away from the hotel where you first stayed with your ex. Try one of these Ruby's, Conch Shell, Spindrift, Thomas's or the San Pedreano they are all right in town or Pedro's close to town and at good rates.
Maybe some time to reflect will be good for you. Only you know the answer
Posted By: Phil

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 07:07 PM

...or try Caulker or Placencia if it's that hard.

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by purdygrl
Only you know the answer

I wish I did!

Yes, of course, if I go, it will be at a different hotel. Was at the Spindrift before.
I'm a pretty outgoing person and would no doubt eaily meet people to talk to while there. Can I just let out an internet scream? Maybe that will clear my head so I can make a decision.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 07:36 PM

so, did it help? smile
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 07:59 PM

Dude, you need to hook-up while you're there and you won't be thinkin about her.
Posted By: purdygrl

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 08:01 PM

[/quote]AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/quote]

I hope that made you feel better.

Well the weather is beautiful right now and there is stuff happening all weekend in the park and the Belikan bash starts on monday night.
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 08:12 PM

Many of we Boarders, have made that first and many more trips back without our "significant other" varying reasons for the loss, all painful. After arriving spend a few minutes reflecting, then go on meeting new people. Suck in the magic of the caye and water, very healing. smile
Posted By: Carib

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 08:22 PM

Ahhhh, I'm reminded of a classic film line I just saw ... the film is Black Snake Moan, with Samuel L. Jackson as Lazarus, a retired blues musician whose wife "done him wrong" .... he's drownin' his sorrows in a local bar, when a resident Hot Pants ambles up to him and coos, "Awwww, hon' .... you KNOW nothin' cures the blues better than some p**sy".....

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 08:22 PM

Oh man, you guys are tempting.
Re: hooking up
Shhhhhh, but when I was just in Portland on biz, I did hook up for a night (then the next night w/the same girl). Met her in a sushi bar there. Anyways, it most assuredly did NOT make me feel any better about the whole situation... and in some ways, worse.

I'm THIS close to doing this.

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chloe
Many of we Boarders, have made that first and many more trips back without our "significant other" varying reasons for the loss, all painful. After arriving spend a few minutes reflecting, then go on meeting new people. Suck in the magic of the caye and water, very healing. smile

chloe is right. i was one of you too. it was Leah-Ann that made me see that i could go back to the place i love and just make new memories with new people. and i did...5 times so far. it was good and appreciated advice. (thanks, LA) go for it smile
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 11:52 PM

Did you book yet?

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/09/08 11:59 PM

Yes, I booked about two hours ago. Have two itineraries to choose from, both of which can be fully refunded.

1. Burning 75,000 United miles (United and Taca)- Arrive this Friday, depart on Tuesday.
2. Purchased a RT ticket IAH-BZE for $300- Arrive on Sat, depart on Tuesday. ive in Pittsburgh, so I'm burning 25,000 miles for Pittsburgh to IAH and the return IAH to PIT.

I just have to decide which to do. 75,000 miles is hard to part with, but it allows me another full day on the island.

sweetjane & Chloe, thank you for your posts. Excellent. It will be hard FOR SURE, but to me, this short trip will be about retro and introspection... and fun. I lost my Belikin hat, so I need a new one anyways.
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 12:09 AM

PSU, good for you! smile sometimes a little bittersweet isn't such a bad thing and it would be really difficult to have a bad time in SP. wink

Jane, very sweet - xoxo

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Leah-Ann
PSU, good for you! smile sometimes a little bittersweet isn't such a bad thing and it would be really difficult to have a bad time in SP. wink

I'd be completely lying if I said I still didn't have some reservations about this trip. I mean, it was only 1.25 months ago that we broke up- and it was a spectacular relationship. The time we had in SP was just as spectacular. I'm still grieving a good deal. I just hope that I don't walk down the beaches and/or road and constantly think to myself, "That's where Patti and I stopped for breakfast" or "That's where we had our favorite ceviche." In a way, I'm reasonably afraid.

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 12:29 AM

You know (and being completely honest about this), I never noticed 'other' women when I was there w/Patti. Just didn't care. Frankly, out of ignorance I have no idea what the woman 'situation' is like down there. I just didn't care at the time. Well, other than when a prostitute tried to pine me... which of course, I didn't oblige (nor would I now).

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 12:53 AM

don't worry about noticing. just relax, have fun meeting & talking to people. things have a way of going where they will go. smile

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 01:38 PM

Grrrrrrr... my 'get away' is looking to be not such a smart choice right now. Scheduled to fly IAH-BZE on Saturday.

Thanks Hurricane Ike. Scheduled to make landfall right around Houston on... Saturday. Looks like I'll be rescheduling. We'll see. Been looking so forward to this too.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 02:00 PM

fly tomorrow and miss Ike!
Posted By: DonnaR

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 02:19 PM

You are going to have a great time. Im glad you got the post about the GREAT price and decided to go. If you get holed up in Houston...drop me a line..we can do lunch, especially since it was my big bright idea to post the "special" LOL
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 02:29 PM

I plan on going Sat also if Ike doesnt wipe me out.
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 02:32 PM

PS, You will have a great time there... I too went w/ my ex the VERY first time I went to SP... stayed at Corona Del Mar. Two months after we broke up I went back to SP.. was a little hard, but I was determined to view SP in a different light. I'm glad I did. Instead of putting my head in the sand, I decided to put my feet in the sand and a belikin in my hand and just enjoy the people, the scenery and the sights. Please re-schedule if you have to and go. New memories await!

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 02:54 PM

Thanks for the kind words, dcg. The more I thought about taking the trip, the better I felt about it. Was really looking forward to it and blazing new memories of SP, a place I will no doubt return to many itmes in the future.

Regrettably, I don't think I want to take the chance w/respect to Ike. I'm probably going to get on the horn w/Continental and reschedule for next week. As per their weather waiver statement, you can change your itinerary w/out penalty or fare change so long as you depart before Sept. 20th. (I think they could have been a bit more genrous and pushed that back to Oct. 1 or something). I will probably try and reschedule for departing wed. of next week and return on Sunday.

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 03:03 PM

True on the Ike delima! But as far as returning to SP...
(looking at passport) Yep, been there 7 times now in just 2 years time! I think I kind of like the place! laugh

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 03:18 PM

Excellent, dcg. This will be my 2nd in 7 months, so I've got a long way to go to catch up to you.

Anyways, the latest...
I've rebooked w/Continental. It was a suprisingly painless process as I thought my hold time would take forever given the many other travelers traveling through IAH wanting to reschedule. I also have NO status on CO, so I don't have an elite phone number that gets me right through (unlike United in which I do have and always get right through). So, now I'm flying to BZE on Wednesday of next week and returning on Sunday. I've parlayed that great fare that Donna posted into an extra day of vacation! Previously, the fare was only good departing on Sat or Sun and returning Mon or Tues... only a max of two full days on the island. W/the reticketing, I've worked in two extra days for the same great fare.

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 03:23 PM

WHOOHOOOOO!! Great News! Have a Belikin or two for me!
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 04:19 PM

Leah Ann is really good like that.

PS, you'll meet so many cool folks while you're down there. Just make a deal with yourself to take you're mind off of "her" the moment you start reminiscing. I know it's hard but it can be done and TIME is the only real thing that will cure a heartache (I was joking about hooking up).

Glad the reschedule of the travel has ended up working in your favor. Things happen for a reason!

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 08:49 PM

Don't yell at me!

I cancelled the itinerary. Not coming to SP next week frown
Trust me, I'm sad that I'm not going, but after thinking about it more, the break-up is still too raw/recent and there would be waaaaay too many things to remind me of the ex while down there.

Now, would I have some good times down there? You betcha. But I can gaurantee that I'd have some pretty depressing moments too, for sure. The problem lies in that I can't even begin to quantify how much I will feel either of those emotions... happy or depressed. Not until I step onto the island will I know. The risk ($$$) is simply too high is all. Hey, if it were going to Chicago, that'd be a different story.

With all that said, I WILL be back down there. Absolutely NO doubt about it. I fell in love w/the place immediately. Part of my heart is still in SP. I just need to heal a bit longer... and keep my eye on fare specials.

Thanks for all the well-wishes and support.

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 08:57 PM

PS, go in November. There will be WAY to many of us crazies around to even LET you think about anything REMOTELY unpleasant!

Hang in, it gets better with time (but so does a fine wine, cheese and that mold ring growing around my bathtub....)
Sorry just had to throw that last bit in....
Posted By: azbob

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 08:58 PM

Way to go PSU!!!!! enjoy, enjoy, enjoy and drink a cold one for me!!!!1
Posted By: colomojo

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 09:17 PM

Personally - I would have gone, I'd want to get over all the possible painful things FAST so I could get on with life. We have all been through a break up and they are no fun, I am sorry your spectacular relationship is not spectacular anymore but San Pedro is spectacular!!!! I do wish you well in healing your heart. I am sorry to hear you cancelled, If I could I be there tomorrow (or today) I would be - but I have to stay home and clean my house from getting new tile laid this week. smirk Book for November - I hear the crowd that is going is A LOT of FUN!!

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 09:20 PM

only you know what's best for you, and when it is time.

good luck. many of us have been where you are...and there is light at the end, and it does get easier. hang in there, man.

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by divingcowgirl
PS, go in November. There will be WAY to many of us crazies around to even LET you think about anything REMOTELY unpleasant!

Hang in, it gets better with time (but so does a fine wine, cheese and that mold ring growing around my bathtub....)
Sorry just had to throw that last bit in....

When in November? Please let me know and I will try to make it there. By then, I will most assuredly be sufficiently healed to step foot back onto the island.

Wanna know what made me cancel the reservation this afternoon? I was excited about going back (but still admittedly a bit scared of what I'd feel). So, I hopped onto youtube to check out some of the videos again, yay! The first one I pull up- Someone filming the reef... now get this... from the EXACT room that the ex and I stayed in at the Spindrift. The EXACT effing room. It hit me in the gut, BIG TIME. I don't cry mch, but I nearly broke down. If I felt like this simply watching it on youtube, I couldn't imagine what I'd feel like seeing it in person.

About 1:20 into the video.

Our exact effing room. From the 3rd floor between those two palm trees. From that exact balcony, I can still vividly picture the local kids playing volleyball beneath the balcony, JD at the Pier Lounge (God rest his soul), Rebecca sitting at her usual spot overseeing the Tacklebox, Choc readying his li'l yellow boat for the day's fishing, the side entrance to Estel's, the reef in the distance, and me, Belikin beer in hand, singing Three Little Birds w/Larry the Lyrical King on the deck of the Pier Lounge (I have a picture of that taken by the ex from the balcony, btw).

My message to each of you? Don't watch youtube. Coincidences, for the worse, CAN happen.

As an aside, this realtor filmed from two different spots. Only the part from 1:20 to about 1:40 are from the Spindrift... the rest from elsewhere.

Oh, and sweetjane... like your video. I've always liked that one and revisit it every now and again!
Posted By: colomojo

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 09:34 PM

Bless your heart PSU wink! November isn't too far away and by what I am reading I think "the crowd" is all going the third week. I am sure someone will respond with the proper dates. You can make a new you tube video!

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 09:42 PM

PS A bunch are going to be there at different dates, but rest assure the biggest group should be there between the dates of November 18th through Thanksgiving. Come down and enjoy the crazyness!
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 09:43 PM

Good grief PSU, we've all been dumped, some of us more than a few times. Women are like bus's, there will be another one along in about 15 minutes. And the ride may be even better !

E !
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 09:51 PM

November 23rd Sunday is the main event at BC'S!!!!
Posted By: kerry

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/10/08 11:34 PM

nov 12 - 24 for me....staying at rubie's
Posted By: Carib

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 09/11/08 05:42 PM

re: Ernie B's note above:

They are also subject to the Banana Effect; they come in bunches.
Posted By: *I Do* Belize Weddings

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 10/04/08 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ernie B
Good grief PSU, we've all been dumped, some of us more than a few times. Women are like bus's, there will be another one along in about 15 minutes. And the ride may be even better !

E !

and men are like cars. There's millions passing by all day long but only a few are of good quality,
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 10/04/08 05:31 AM

I think the point about buses is that you wait for ages, then several arrive at once.

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 10/04/08 08:23 AM

...and you must take your chances going for the bus as several break down.

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 10/04/08 04:11 PM

FYI, I've rebooked my 'get away'. I will be arriving Nov 8 and departing the 12th. Just a few days to get the hell away from life.

It's been a rollercoaster ride for me the past few weeks, for sure! The ex still contacting me, but me doing my best to maintain no contact (only done so-so in this regard though). Long story short, twice before she broke up with me with the two of us getting back together. Her, I believe, regretting her decision both times (after the second break up, she wrote, "I think I royally f&%$*ed up".)

Oh well, I'll be back there on the 8th of Nov!!!

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 10/04/08 06:00 PM

my motherly advice to you is (besides having a great nov trip) find a girl who can make better decisions. 3 times and you'd consider going back for more?

i've known girls like that, and the future with one may well be the continuation of that roller coaster as long as you maintain a relationship.

just put it behind you & go have fun!!

Re: Hotels for this weekend - 10/04/08 07:04 PM

You said it, SJ.
You don't need to get back on one of the buses described above. Wait for a greyhound and skip the old broken down school buses.

Looking forward to meeting you when you are here in November. Great that you rebooked!
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board