AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Areas in San Pedro

Posted By: DreamingOfBz

Areas in San Pedro - 10/12/08 07:37 PM

Hello everyone!

I am in San Pedro with my family and looking around I understand that there are districts to the island. For example, someone was talking about the San Mateo area, etc.

Is there a map of the areas?
Posted By: RathaBnBelize

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/12/08 08:01 PM

Possibly at the fire Hall..Peter Jones is working on a map...I will also be glad when there is one available online.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/12/08 08:08 PM

San Mateo is just across the bridge and to the left.
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/12/08 10:43 PM

I did post an article a while back listing the different areas on the island (not a map though) I was looking for it the other day and could not find it.
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/13/08 01:32 AM

To say I'm working on a map is a bit previous, but I will do it once I complete something else I'm doing.

Unless anyone has any paid accounting work for me....?
Posted By: Dutch

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/13/08 01:51 AM

Okay...can someone tell me where the 'Tres Cocos' area is? When looking at classified ads, the apartments are often listed in that are. I've looked on the map, but don't find a place called Tres Cocos, so I am assuming it is an area?

Thanks!
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/13/08 01:53 AM

Tres Cocos- On past Reef Village to where the land rises up and on to the Palapa Bar.

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/13/08 01:56 AM

Thanks Jesse.

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/13/08 02:16 PM

Both links explain a bit about the different areas.

//ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/island.html

//ambergriscaye.com/25years/area.html

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/14/08 02:25 AM

Thanks TG. This makes apartment hunting much easier. I appreciate it!
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/14/08 03:41 PM

Tres Cocos is north of the bridge and ends around a mile north of the river.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/15/08 02:18 AM

TACO Girl

Thanks so much for the links. I just read all of the 25 years ago article and have a whole new perspective on land development here. It sounds to me like this entire island was once mangrove swamp. I did not know that.

It also sounds like there were some loosie goosie deals way back when. This does not convince me that it should be allowed to continue but it does help me understand the attitude of a lot of politicians; business as usual. Land for votes evidently was a way of life. Creating land to sell I see is not new; like the talk of filling in the lagoon from north of the bridge way up the coast whereby people who now have lagoon front lots will be land locked.

All this make me feel better about my lot up in El Tesoro which is high and dry and never filled but covered with good trees and brush. El Tesoro (The Treasure) is a sub section of Tres Cocos which has many little smaller sections. Iím ashamed to now know that where my condo is was once mangrove and was filled by dredging. I sure didnít know that when I bought. This section was called ďBobís Flats.Ē A little north there is Tres Cocos Gardens and Campbellís Hill. North of El Tesoro is Buena Vista. This fronts on a section of the sea where there is a break in the reef called Buena Vista cut.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/15/08 06:22 AM

Harriette, when there was such a hubbub about the Holy Cross School being built on garbage fill, all I could think of was how much garbage there is underneath Boca del Rio.

I'm not saying it is much ado about nothing, I'm just saying, since it is such a big deal, then most of the island is suspect.

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/17/08 06:44 PM

Saw neighborhood watch map recently and they have the areas marked out would be nice to have a general map like that.
Posted By: DitchDocDiver

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/17/08 07:32 PM

Hey TG, where did you see the map?

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/17/08 09:34 PM

DDD was a paper copy the hands of the neighborhood watch people. They photocopied the different areas taped them together and color coded them.

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/17/08 11:10 PM

There is a wealth of information regarding the island on this website - I urge everybody to do some exploring.

I do get frustrated when people don't take advantage of this info that is available at their finger-tips, and always expect someone on the board to do that investigation for them.

There is so much stuff that the folks that live here know, and we assume it is common knowledge since you can find the info in the newspaper archives and on this site.

Anyway, that is why I am so curt at times. Glad to see some people taking FULL advantage of this site!
Posted By: RathaBnBelize

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/18/08 12:41 AM

I have looked and never seen anything decent,but I do suspect that the first Hotel or Realty website to have a good map on it would get lots of hits.
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/18/08 02:03 AM

If what I want is on this site then I apologise Amanda, but I have looked and I didn't find it. Perhaps the indexing needs work?

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/18/08 02:24 AM

Peter, you come by and visit my office regularly. All you have to do is ask me where something is.

Hey, mystery is good!

Most places have 2 or 3 names so it is constantly confusing.

Don't forget, business locations change often, areas are referred to as many different names, even the GOB mapping dept. get's confused at times, so making a comprehensive map is always a work in progress.

If you need to know where something is - send me a pm.

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/18/08 04:49 AM

Thanks TG, I hope to collect information on areas / maps when I arrive.

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/18/08 02:14 PM

The police station has a good map of town framed on the wall - worth stopping to look at.

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/18/08 04:31 PM

The elections and boundaries office has some nice maps too.

Re: Areas in San Pedro - 10/18/08 09:04 PM

Thanks, I'll check them out. What I am realy looking for is an electronic vector (no bitmaps or jpgs etc) copy. Vector images are scalable, no mater how small or large you have a good clean copy.

(common vector formats are .ai .eps .cdr ect. and sometimes a .pdf but most are not)
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board