AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Is Santiago Castillo (the wholesale place) closed?

Posted By: flip flop

Is Santiago Castillo (the wholesale place) closed? - 10/16/08 06:04 PM

Was in there a few weeks ago and they weren't restocking....

Any word if they are closing?
Posted By: shuffles

Re: Is Santiago Castillo (the wholesale place) closed? - 10/16/08 06:09 PM

Went by the other day and they said closed for good. They were inside taking things off the shelf. not sure what's going in there yet.
Posted By: beachbumin

Re: Is Santiago Castillo (the wholesale place) closed? - 10/16/08 06:16 PM

Makes no sense at all. They came to the island as a distribution center for the local grocery businesses and were so busy they could not keep things on the shelf. They had a lot of problem getting things from Belize City to the island due to the ongoing problems with the barges. They then also opened as a retail center with pretty low prices, and again seemed to be busy. This is a loss for both the retail and wholesale consumer.

Re: Is Santiago Castillo (the wholesale place) closed? - 10/16/08 06:19 PM

I agree.....I did alot of shopping there. I suspect they were only leasing the building and a better offer came along. I don't know the details, just my thoughts....,
Posted By: JZB

Re: Is Santiago Castillo (the wholesale place) closed? - 10/16/08 07:03 PM

I liked to shop there too. I wonder what will become of that space? There isn't a hardware store on that block yet. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic...)
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Is Santiago Castillo (the wholesale place) clo - 10/16/08 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by shuffles
I agree.....I did alot of shopping there. I suspect they were only leasing the building and a better offer came along. I don't know the details, just my thoughts....,

They own the building. They have a booming business on the mainland throughout the country - maybe just too stretched in these tough financial times.

Re: Is Santiago Castillo (the wholesale place) clo - 10/16/08 07:18 PM

AH...that makes sense.
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Is Santiago Castillo (the wholesale place) clo - 10/16/08 07:21 PM

Still, a great loss.
Posted By: beachbumin

Re: Is Santiago Castillo (the wholesale place) clo - 10/16/08 07:22 PM

Could be Amanda but the fact remains San Cas could not keep up with the demand on the wholesale side. At times they had multiple containers coming to the island each week. Another wholesaler, Madisco has had similar problems with getting goods delivered from the mainland to the island. There has been and continues to be a real issue with marine freight services from the mainland to the island.
Posted By: pugwash

Re: Is Santiago Castillo (the wholesale place) clo - 10/16/08 07:25 PM

This would seem like an ideal opportunity for an enterprising capitalist to offer them a "Gross Lease" on the building and business?
Posted By: canukgirl

Re: Is Santiago Castillo (the wholesale place) clo - 10/16/08 08:12 PM

I am so sad! I was just going to go there this afternoon! Now where do I go to get Eggo Waffles, cheap cheese, and Folger's Coffee? Are they selling everything they have?

Re: Is Santiago Castillo (the wholesale place) clo - 10/17/08 12:29 AM

i'm guessing they have taken their stock back to BC.....
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board