AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Is Bringing Rx Drugs in Any Problem?

Posted By: Don Greife

Is Bringing Rx Drugs in Any Problem? - 11/07/08 02:06 AM

A friend of mine is due to arrive about the 20th and he takes a couple of Rx drugs. He asked if there might be any problem at customs with his meds. I don't take medicine and was no help to him. Can somebody shed a little light on how to avoid any problems with this for him? Many Thanks Don Greife
Posted By: pamkillen

Re: Is Bringing Rx Drugs in Any Problem? - 11/07/08 02:08 AM

no problem but bring them in original bottles
Posted By: shuffles

Re: Is Bringing Rx Drugs in Any Problem? - 11/07/08 02:09 AM

Never had anyone even ask about medications, like Pam says, keep them in original bottle....
Posted By: GBZ39

Re: Is Bringing Rx Drugs in Any Problem? - 11/07/08 02:11 AM

Most generics can be obtained locally with ease.....and less expensive than in US.
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: Is Bringing Rx Drugs in Any Problem? - 11/07/08 02:59 AM

Here's what CDC says:

Items to Bring With You
Medicines you may need:
The prescription medicines you take every day. Make sure you have enough to last during your trip. Keep them in their original prescription bottles and always in your carry-on luggage. Be sure to follow security guidelines, if the medicines are liquids.

Note: Some drugs available by prescription in the US are illegal in other countries. Check the US Department of State Consular Information Sheets for the country(s) you intend to visit or the embassy or consulate for that country(s). If your medication is not allowed in the country you will be visiting, ask your health-care provider to write a letter on office stationery stating the medication has been prescribed for you.

Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Is Bringing Rx Drugs in Any Problem? - 11/07/08 04:06 AM

I was charged import duty at Corozal when I brought in some prescription drugs, along with a copy of the prescription. They said I had to have the original prescription (which of course is impossible).
Posted By: Don Greife

Re: Is Bringing Rx Drugs in Any Problem? - 11/07/08 05:17 AM

Thanks ALL.
Posted By: indygal

Re: Is Bringing Rx Drugs in Any Problem? - 11/08/08 05:45 AM

My experience is .... don't expect to be able to buy what you NEED in Belize - I have tried - would hear over and over - we can get them for you, but they never arrived. I take 3 medications and have never been able to buy them in Belize. I bring in a 6 mn supply of each. I do not announce that I have them, I just put the bottles in with my cosmetics & toiletries.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board