AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Superyacht

Posted By: chunkyruth

Superyacht - 12/27/08 04:15 PM

The superyacht "Fighting Irish" is anchored off the coast in front of San Pedro this morning. What a beauty!
http://www.superyachttimes.com/yachts/details/709/
Posted By: Bill Mc Ghee

Re: Superyacht - 12/27/08 04:19 PM

It should be a beauty for 16Mil
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Superyacht - 12/27/08 04:25 PM

I didn't think boats that big were made with plastic hulls.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Superyacht - 12/27/08 04:26 PM

Quite common
Posted By: flip flop

Re: Superyacht - 12/27/08 04:29 PM

Very interesting to google this. It's been seen in Washington, California, Costa Rica, Italy, France....

Looks like the owner is a real estate mogul.

Wiki Answers said that it offers a semester abroad program and students enter a lottery to study aboard the yacht and the ports it travels to.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Superyacht - 12/27/08 04:29 PM

Fiber glass ?
Posted By: Danny2

Re: Superyacht - 12/27/08 04:37 PM

Looks great. How's a guy make that kind of money?
Posted By: azbob

Re: Superyacht - 12/27/08 04:57 PM

WOW! Must have some motor launch to go to shore!!
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Superyacht - 12/27/08 05:34 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass-reinforced_plastic

Re: Superyacht - 12/27/08 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ernie B
Fiber glass ?

GRP - Glass Reinforced Plastic.

It burns beautifully, as Amigos found out last year.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: Superyacht - 12/27/08 06:08 PM

Simon, "Island Time Three" wink (Wishfull Thinking) @ 7ft draft I doubt it would be able to navagate to many places Inside the reef.
Posted By: reaper

Re: Superyacht - 12/27/08 07:24 PM

Must be in San Pedro for Pedro1 to buy!

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 01:57 AM

Oh my God...you should see it at night! It's gorgeous.

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 02:01 AM

ruth, your mission is to get on board and have drinks and take pictures with the owner!
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
Posted By: gailtor

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 02:09 AM

LOL at reaper.
Ruthie, you can swim out there with your underwater camera and just casually climb up out of the water like a sea maiden. laugh

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 03:45 AM

Don't I wish. That "boat" is the talk of the island. (Although, I am just a little bit tempted with all you'alls confidence in my ability to impose...wonder what they are having for dinner tonight?)
Posted By: CHOOCHOO

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 11:13 AM

Obviously the ownership of this vessel has some affinity for that secular bible college in South Bend, Indiana and their field hockey team.

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 03:07 PM

Suprisingly there's quite a lot of area they can cover with that draft. They can get in through the main cut here but not move around much. South of here they would have to come in at English Caye or further South there's a couple of other locations they could come in. Once they were in the main channel there's plenty of places they could go. You wouldn't want them running around inside the reef without a VERY experienced pilot though.
Posted By: 2Aggies

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 03:19 PM

Ruth - how can you tease us with this post and not give us a night pic? We're dying here on dry land! Pleeeeeaaaassee.
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 04:17 PM

Ruth you and chunky can do a stealth kayak mission lol.

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 04:46 PM

http://yachts.monacoeye.com/files/fightingirish.php#unique-entry-id-1070

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 05:34 PM

I seem to remember another Yacht some time ago that was anchored off San Pedro and did some damage to the coral because it was touching the bottom.
I am not suggesting that is the situation with the "Fighting Irish", but wonder what the differance is in the draft of the two Yachts.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 05:43 PM

2 miles
Good memory. The problem with the boat that caused all the damage is that he would not listen to anyone who understood the corals and channels - hired a bartender to take him across the reef. I video taped the damage they did. Unfortunately they left the country before the GOB collected any money for damages.
It will be interesting to see what happens with this new one.

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 06:03 PM

Harriette, Let's hope the "Fighting Irish" Captian has better judgement and consults with the proper authorities.

I thought that the GOB Authorities had taken the Captain from the Yacht that did the damage to Belize City before the Boat left.

The "Fighting Irish" has been seen in ports all over the eastern U.S. coast this year.

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 06:10 PM

What are we supposed to glean from the name?

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 06:14 PM

http://und.cstv.com/

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 07:22 PM

Thanks for the URL Simon, which tells me remarkably little. What is "The University of Notre Dame"? It's certainly not a French educational establishment. And whoever they are, do they own this boat? So is it chartered out, or used by people in-house, or what?

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 07:26 PM

As Fighting Irish is plastered all over the page I would have thought you could figure it out. The boat has nothing to do with the school. A little research on Google will tell you the rest.
Posted By: flip flop

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by flip flop
Very interesting to google this. It's been seen in Washington, California, Costa Rica, Italy, France....

Looks like the owner is a real estate mogul.

Wiki Answers said that it offers a semester abroad program and students enter a lottery to study aboard the yacht and the ports it travels to.

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 07:35 PM

Sorry, no night pic. I tried last night from shore, but just don't have the camera to do it justice. AND, no way am I gonna kayak at night!!

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 07:48 PM

Sorry Simon, I had never heard of Notre Dame in the USA nor of the "Fighting Irish". I've looked at the Wiki references but still don't see where the boat comes in. Or maybe I should be able to "figure it out" as well?
Posted By: 2Aggies

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 08:28 PM

Ruth - thanks for the try. Don't you dare kayak out there, send Chunky! LOL

Peter - aside from the school and it's nickname, the yacht is owned/managed by a Delaware Corp named Fighting Irish, LLC. I tried to get a little more info to find out if it is controlled by alumni or an Irish national. No luck. They are very elusive. I tried to get additional registry info from the Coast Guard and they also have limited info other than what is required to have a US registry.
I believe the Ms. & I saw this boat while it was harbored in Kemah out of Houston while looking to buy a sailboat several years ago.

Perhaps it is time to call in the queen of research, the West coast guru of fact, the sheba of knowledge - Leah-Ann, you got you ears on?
Posted By: DonnaR

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 11:21 PM

I read that the skipper of the Fighting Irish is Capt Pomeroy if that helps in you quest to find the owner name. He is based out of Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Posted By: skippy

Re: Superyacht - 12/28/08 11:51 PM

Names. Addresses. Phone numbers. Google video of their house. This dastardly invasion shall not stand!

Signed,

Concerned Americans in Ambergris Caye (CAAC)

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 12:59 AM

I was told this afternoon quite definitively that the boat is owned by Jimmy Buffett.

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 01:57 AM

The cafeteria magnate?

From wikipedia: "After graduating from college, Buffett worked as a correspondent for Billboard magazine in Nashville, breaking the news of the separation of Flatt and Scruggs."

It was all downhill from there.

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 02:00 AM

C'Mon Peter, Geeze ! Maybe the other Buffett.

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 02:05 AM

Rumoured to belong to Glenn Godfrey

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 02:07 AM

Rumored it was my ex's. Started by my 1st ex frown
Posted By: denjy

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 02:35 AM

If anyone is interested to find the details of the yacht and willing to pay, check out this site. Cost $9.98. Found this through Google searches.
http://www.boatinfoworld.com/registration.asp?vn=82896

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 02:44 AM

Not interested.
Posted By: pnut

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 03:06 AM

The boat's owner is listed as Tom Cooper. I believe he's the same Tom Cooper from hilton Head, SC....former New Yorker, securities broker, lovely wife and 4 pre-teen kids.
Graduate of University of Notre Dame, supporter of the Fighting Irish athletic department.

If it's not his, then it must be my yacht. I must have misplaced it somewhere, and it's found it's way to San Pedro to wait for me.

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 03:54 AM

It's interesting to me as a newcomer to Belize that these are not commonplace like they are in the Bahamas. Now maybe they are around Belize City and the marinas? In any event, that they are not commonplace is a-ok with me. I would rather gaze upon a sailboat any day.
Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 04:09 AM

They "The Jaychts" used to be more commonplace than they have been in the last few years. The sailboat population has dwindled dramaticaly over the years also.
Posted By: Greenthumb

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 04:16 AM

This is just great reading... I find it so interesting that everyone seems so in ahhhh over a boat.. I can tell you that if I had 16+M, I could and would do some much better things with it than have a boat that would probably cost me 500K or more a year to operate. Just think of the # of people we could help! But anyways why doesn't anyone find out if someone from the boat is on the Island or mainland and ask them if you could interview them and ask for a tour so that you could write about it?

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 04:55 AM

If a guy owns a 16 million clam boat, he probably spreads a few Ben Franklins around where needed. I would never ever spend that sort of dough on a boat, if I had that sort of cash.

But I would have one hell of an airforce that you guys would be snapping pics of at the airstrip!!!!!!

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 05:11 AM

"Just think of the # of people we could help..."

You mean like the captain and his family? And the mates and their families? And the cooks and their families? And the boat builder and his employees and their families? And the fuel sellers and refiners and their families? And the fishing equipment manufacturers and suppliers and their families? And...
Posted By: Greenthumb

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 05:18 AM

Good Point Skippy...
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 05:29 AM

If I had a boat, I'd go out on the ocean
And if I had a pony, I'd ride him on my boat
And we could all together
Go out on the ocean
Me upon my pony on my boat
---Lyle Lovett

Not sure of the significance, but seemed relevant, somehow.

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 06:17 AM

Personally, I am in awe over the boat simply because it is gorgeous.

Just as an extremely expensive car, plane, home or piece of jewelry might be. Because I might not choose to spend my 16 mil on any or all of these things, doesn't stop me from admiring them...simply because they are beautiful.
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 06:40 AM

uhm............. wow..... nice.........
I just want a nice sailboat!!!

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 06:43 AM

Better make sure your sailboat comes with a helmet Spurs!

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 06:54 AM

"The sailboat population has dwindled dramaticaly over the years also."

That's interesting. I did expect to see more. I wonder why.

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 02:37 PM

Peter, "Jimmy Buffett" Who's Buffett? Never heard of him.
Well if no one wants it, I'll take it.

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 02:40 PM

I only repeated verbatim what I was told. At least, I think I did. I know it wasn't Warren Buffett.

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 03:04 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Marty

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 03:11 PM

few pics here from the ambergris today...
//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/galleries/316212/Fighting_Irish_pics.html
Posted By: drummer dan

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 09:08 PM

OK, I admit it. It's mine...
Posted By: pugwash

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 09:10 PM

I thought you said Tequila had no effect on you Dan?

It would appear that it makes you delusional smile
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 09:12 PM

Dan bought it with all the $$ he's saved on footwear since arriving in AC!!!
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: Superyacht - 12/29/08 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by chunkyruth
Better make sure your sailboat comes with a helmet Spurs!

LOL! laugh I hear ya Ruth! I also need one of those little thingy's that keep your beer right side up, no matter what the beer holder is doing! (and that is falling down for you guys with minds in the gutter!)
Posted By: lakegirl

Re: Superyacht - 12/31/08 03:18 AM

Beautiful!!! I would just love to get on board and take a look at how the "other half" live!!! I would promise not to drool.....!!!

Re: Superyacht - 12/31/08 03:36 AM

Well, it looks like the Fighting Irish has moved on to "bluer" pastures. This morning I saw her cut through the break in the reef and head north.
Posted By: ExOkie

Re: Superyacht - 01/01/09 07:22 PM

Cozumel or Cancun for New Years festivities perhaps?? Tough life. *sigh*

On the same note has anyone here ever seen the Monaco/Monte Carlo Yacht Basin? OMG! Superyachts in every slip and ultra-superyachts in the harbor. If you're a fan of huge beautiful boats it's the place to see.
Posted By: bywarren

Re: Superyacht - 01/01/09 11:09 PM

I like looking at the beautiful dinghies on some of those yachts. They look good in and out of bikinis. smirk
Posted By: drummer dan

Re: Superyacht - 01/02/09 04:28 AM

Yes, during the eighties I spent two weeks every January in Cannes. We would make the trek to Monaco for a day trip and the yachts there were beyond words!!
Posted By: papashine

Re: Superyacht - 01/10/09 06:32 PM

I think this is the thread that mentions the owner.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board