AmbergrisCaye.com Home

wine

Posted By: Teach

wine - 01/14/09 02:10 AM

We enjoy a glass or two or two or two of wine in the afternoon and before dinner. I have seen the high prices on the provisioning sites. I have also read that Rendezvous Restaurant makes wine. So what is the quality of their wine?
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: wine - 01/14/09 02:12 AM

Skip it. In fact, skip Rendezvous.
Posted By: Ambergris Bob

Re: wine - 01/14/09 05:26 AM

Teach,

We've found that the price of wines isn't TOO bad considering where you are and the selection is pretty good too. Can't speak to the situation at Rendevous, sounds like its already been addressed. The good news is, in AC a glass of good red goes a lot further than at home...

Bob
Posted By: weile

Re: wine - 01/14/09 01:05 PM

Ernie, you can skip Rendevouz Wine if you wish. It's a matter of taste, I guess; but you should explain why you think that we should skip Rendezvous all together...

Over the years, I have enjoyed 50+ great evenings at Rendezvous with great ambience and excellent food at prices that must be considered very reasonable compared to many other places north of the river cut, and I have always seen a fairly good choice of imported wines, like i.e. the Spanish "champagne" Freixenet and Chilean Merlot and Chardonet, all within the 60-70 $BZ range + great service.
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: wine - 01/14/09 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by weile
Ernie, you can skip Rendevouz Wine if you wish. It's a matter of taste, I guess; but you should explain why you think that we should skip Rendezvous all together.

This isnít exactly geezer science. Most likely the reason for his pan of the Rendezvous is because they donít offer an early bird dinner special at 4:00 PM. smile
Posted By: Moose In Belize

Re: wine - 01/14/09 03:09 PM

The wine stores in SP have a good selection and some are well-priced.

Re: wine - 01/14/09 03:34 PM

DP, I'll geezer your science smile
Posted By: Northern Canuck

Re: wine - 01/14/09 03:48 PM

Moose, what stores do you suggest? We found that bottles that sell for about $10.00US in other caribbean countries sell for around $18.00 to 20.00US in Belize. Those would be Chilean, Argentinian and the occaisional French. What do you consider well priced?
Posted By: 6string

Re: wine - 01/14/09 05:15 PM

We visit the Wine Devine (and they will loan you glasses, cork-screw) and another liquor store on Front Street... can't recall the name. The Pelliguino place has decent wine also. Yeah, its more expensive in SP, but considering how it has to get there, I guess its not too bad.

We visited Rendevouz once, I liked the beach bar, I liked the people and the food... the wine is not so good. We saw where they make it, and again, considering a process of fermenting and aging in 80+ degrees... I am surprised it was as good as it was. If you are looking for California (new world styles) you won't find it made in SP I believe.

We typically spend about $40 BZ for a decent wine in SP, or about twice what it costs us in the states... but if ya gotta have wine, its all good.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: wine - 01/14/09 06:28 PM

Don't know about others but the prices on our list are in line with the price in the store.
Posted By: beachbumin

Re: wine - 01/14/09 09:23 PM

With all due respect. You spend $40 bze in SP for wine which is twice what it costs in the states. $10 usd wine, what can you buy in the states for $10 that is really considered good wine? Inquiring minds want to know. Given the difficulty getting wine in Belize, customs licenses, etc, the Chilean and Australian wine is not really that expensive. On the other hand, $60 usd for a California Sauvignon blanc is crazy.
Posted By: lovey and thurston

Re: wine - 01/14/09 10:14 PM

Ha, In the States we have good old "Trader Joe's" and Two Buck Chuck!!!
Posted By: datallmon

Re: wine - 01/14/09 10:34 PM

Depending on how long you are here, you can get case prices at Premium Wines. At around $15US per bottle and mixed cases.
Posted By: Phil

Re: wine - 01/14/09 11:04 PM

With all due respect sit down and think about why a lot of things might be more expensive here than in the US. If you still then need a brief explanation I'm sure I can start the ball rolling....

Re: wine - 01/14/09 11:22 PM

What percentage of the price of a bottle of wine in Belize is tax (not sales tax)? Maybe that is why wine is so much more expensive than other caribbean countries where the cost of importation should be roughly the same.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: wine - 01/14/09 11:40 PM

I don't know what the import stamp duty is on alcohol - but I would guess somewhere in the region of 50% (including gst on the shipping, environmental tax and brokerage fees. Then there is more shipping, handling etc (each time garners at least 10% gst and 10% handling.)

Cashew wine is not expensive. Neither is nationally produced rum, vodka and beer.

You can buy a decent bottle of wine at Wine Devine or Premium Wines for $40 - 60Bz. I would expect to pay similar prices in the UK or US.

Oh and I exclusively drink wine when I imbibe alcohol. I buy a cheap bottle of wine about $30 per bottle if I want to go through the hassle of getting it from the city myself. Or pay $34 at the Island supermarket.
Posted By: Moose In Belize

Re: wine - 01/14/09 11:43 PM

Northern Canuck, I usually shop at Premium Wines & Spirits on Front Street. They have a nice clean store, good selection, and competitive pricing. I can usually find a nice French red in the US$15 range, which I realize is more than I might spend elsewhere, but still okay by SP standards. Of course there is always cashew wine for $4, but I haven't sunken that low yet. I don't know much about Belizean economics, but I assume the prices are so high partly because they have a captive audience.
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: wine - 01/14/09 11:51 PM

What can we buy at the duty free store in Belize City?Is it possible to bring wine over to A.C.?I know the last time we were there,we could not but I thought I saw a thread ,where that was changing.
Posted By: SFJeff

Re: wine - 01/15/09 12:02 AM

Exactly Phil...

We ship a lot of CA, WA and OR wine down here for the restaurant and market. To put a perspective on things, to get wine to our doorstep here, it's first consolidated in California, then shipped in refrigerated transport to Miami, then in a chill container from the port of Miami to Belize. Once it is cleared at the port here (factor in 100+% of the value of the wine for duty, a bevy of taxes, tax on the tax, tax on the shipping, etc) factor tranportation from the mainland out here to the Caye and then transportation to the resort.

For such an effort and expense, why bother you ask? Well, because a great bottle of wine can make an already great meal exceptional (to make it worthwhile for our patrons, we bring in a lot of selections from small producers, 200-300 cases made, that you simple won't find at Trader Joes or such.)

If you find that the wine in Belize is too $$$, drink cashew wine like Amanda suggests or rum....
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: wine - 01/15/09 12:05 AM

And with cashew wine you'll save on laxatives...

Re: wine - 01/15/09 12:20 AM

Everywhere on the planet is expensive compared to North America. A massive and extremely rich per capita population causes huge competition in the markets with low margins but high volume of sales. Belize is diametrically opposed.

Come and enjoy. Yes it's a bit more sometimes, but you're on holiday, and if your food or drink of choice isn't Belizean and costs a bit more, savour it that bit more as you look out over that stunning view of the Reef or the Rainforset.

We're reassuringly expensive to steal a phrase.

Re: wine - 01/15/09 12:28 AM

So Jesse, lots of Marie Sharps Fiery Hot Sauce and Cashew Wine are a poor dinner combination I guess!!!
Posted By: Marty

Re: wine - 01/15/09 12:37 AM

Rendezvous is a delight for my taste buds. LOVE LOVE LOVE the food there.

Re: wine - 01/15/09 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tucson Jim
What can we buy at the duty free store in Belize City?Is it possible to bring wine over to A.C.?I know the last time we were there,we could not but I thought I saw a thread ,where that was changing.

I don't think they are going to change this. You need to buy duty from the port that you are at immediately prior to arriving in Belize. The allowances are different depending on your point of entry into the country. I think you can carry 2 litres of booze per person - but I might be wrong.

I just pay those awful high Belizean prices and enjoy the company of friends and family - I've had way too many duty free bottles break and ruin my suitcases.
Posted By: Renee-md

Re: wine - 01/15/09 01:15 AM

I totally agree Marty. Norm and I go there quite often when we are in AC either for lunch or dinner.

I tried the cashew wine at the Rum and Cigar Shop last year and I think my mouth just unpuckered last week! LOL!

We drink the Chilean or Argentine wines and find them quite good.

see ya all in 24 days!!!

Re: wine - 01/15/09 04:21 AM

I wasn't comaparing the price of wine in Belize to North America I was comparing to other Caribbean countries like Antigua, Barbados, Grenada, Monsterrat and Tobago. All these countries have their currency 'pegged' to the US dollar (like Blize) and all would have the same challenges regarding importation, so why would the prices in Belize be so much higher?

Re: wine - 01/15/09 05:27 AM

Perhaps one would like to start with population density to begin with......
Posted By: Freezer

Re: wine - 01/16/09 12:02 AM

Re Teach and the original question.

If I may, I will plug SimonB at www.belizegrocery.com. We have been buying wine, food, etc. from Lagniappe forever and have found the prices very reasonable. Even the wine!!

If you want some wine in your accomodation I would select from his list and have it waiting in your room when you get there. Along with pretty much anything else that you want.

Re: wine - 01/16/09 01:15 AM

Yes Marty, Rendezvous makes good food at fair prices. I guess Ernie won't or can't explain why we should skip it.

God, I love this message board... Where else can a simple question about wine prices and the quality of a restaurant's home brew be turned into a matter of US curency and population density? Oh you little politicians, you ;-)

Re: wine - 01/16/09 02:19 AM

Weile, My opinons are mine . I dont have to expalian them to ANYONE !
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: wine - 01/16/09 02:29 AM

Whuts an "expalian"?

Re: wine - 01/16/09 02:33 AM

Kiss me , Jesse ! grin
Posted By: SimonB

Re: wine - 01/16/09 03:11 AM

Some kind of reptile I think.
Posted By: TravelinMan1

Re: wine - 01/16/09 12:22 PM

Rather than try to figureout why the wine is expensive I would suggest you bring a bottle with you and if you are travelin (a little word play) with other people have them each bring a bottle as well. When you run out you can buy a as needed. By the time you average out the cost of the wine considering the price you paid for the first bottles you should be about equal to most other Caribbean nations.

On another note buying wine from the wine stores here will ensure that should the bottle not be good for whatever reason you can return it. The wine stores at least go through the extra expense of making sure that the product is properly stored and transported whereas the grocery stores to not. If you like sunrise then you won't have a choice but I can tell you from experience (and I have a lot of experience) that you can always find a better bottle of wine in the speciality stores for about the same price and while your at it grab a little something else to go with it (KAKAW Chocolates come to mind).

Sometimes in life you just need to say what the !#@& and unless you are going to be here for a month or two you should be okay!

To make yourself feel better you can always drink wine by the glass since it is basically the same price as in most restaurants and Bars across the US and Canada!

Cheers

Re: wine - 01/16/09 03:59 PM

Yes, drinking wine by the glass certainly makes me feel better at times!

Hey Weile - how is the wine over there?????

Re: wine - 01/16/09 04:14 PM

A couple of years ago, we shipped wine to our hotel several weeks prior to our arrival. It costs way more than buying it Premium or Wine Devine. We paid close to $70 US by the time we paid the duty, and shipping on top of the wine itself. We drink a lot of $10-$20 US bottles of wine, so paying $20-40 US in SP for the same bottle isn't all that bad.

Re: wine - 01/17/09 03:57 PM

Ernie, with all due respect; I don't think that it is cool to thrash a restaurant on a public forum without at least saying what you think is wrong, or how you were mistreated. I'm sorry, but if you don't explain why we should avoid a place because you don't feel that you have to explain yourself to ANYONE, then why post this to EVERYONE... well, enough said. Colleen is doing a great job and I just happen to like her food and company.

Amanda my dear, the wine is lovely here. I'll bring what I am allowed to bring when I come to see y'all + you'll see and taste for yourself when you and Cal come to see us some day! The local red and white is good table wine and costs US$1.25 per bottle, which makes me have to constantly announce that "No, I ain't drunk, you shilly sit"...

Re: wine - 01/17/09 05:04 PM

$1.25 a bottle... damn, where are you? Can we come and visit too?? We'll bring chocolate!

Re: wine - 01/17/09 05:41 PM

Espana!
Posted By: JZB

Re: wine - 01/17/09 06:24 PM

Hey maybe weile can mail us wine! I'll pay 100% duty on $1.25! smile

Re: wine - 01/17/09 08:34 PM

Weile, since Im not too concerned about what you think, I'll say no more on this topic, just to end it.

Re: wine - 01/19/09 09:43 AM

Thanks Ernie, appreciate your kindness... and the horse you rode in on.

6-string, my buddy. You are always welcome and I have plenty of strings here for you to jam on. Only conditon is that you must provide proof that a trip to Valencia does not replace a trip to wonderful A.C.
The 1.25 bottles are just the local table stuff. We do have more expensive, of course.

Re: wine - 01/19/09 03:57 PM

Espana! Cool man! I think I could get into some spanish wines and some spanish guitar! Take care man, ya comin' back to AC?

And back to the thread, is the duty free allowed to bring in, 1 liter per person? We fly through Dallas and figured maybe bring a bottle or two with us since we fly carry on only, it would have to be after the security check.

Posted By: JeanH

Re: wine - 01/19/09 04:05 PM

Do you guys fly to San Pedro? I don't think you can bring bottles through security at BZE any more. I used to be able to carry my bottle of water through, more recently I had to throw it away. Maybe you can just check your duty free with Tropic or Maya.

Re: wine - 01/19/09 04:20 PM

You will have to "check" the booze with the local Belizean airline to fly to AC- you can't go through security with it at the international airport.
Posted By: colomojo

Re: wine - 01/19/09 05:05 PM

I think it is 2 litres per person. I've never bought wine at duty free, do they actually have it?
Posted By: susie8888

Re: wine - 01/19/09 05:12 PM

I know from experience you can only bring in ONE liter - I had two, so I had to pay an extra $20 - the guy at security just asked me to "estimate" my second purchase (!!) so I think I said $20 (I had a $20 bottle of whiskey and a $32 botle of Grey Goose) - who knows where the math comes into play, but if you really gotta have it, just pay a little extra. (I was brining these for people - I like Belikin) Find people to help you! As for wine at Dury Free, I don't know but I am sure you can call an airport and ask.
Posted By: pugwash

Re: wine - 01/19/09 05:14 PM

1 liter spirits or 2 liter of wine?

This is where the wine snobs will have a sh*t fit smile

Buy wine at home and pack it well, many places have wooden boxes, or use a (Jack Daniels Tin?) and pack in your luggage: It will be far more use than an extra pair of shoes!

If there are 2 of you, do what we do and go with a 5 liter box of Franzia, a big plastic bag inside a cardboard box, a spigot that dispenses whenever you desire and perfectly fine for an afternoon drink before the switch to Rum!

Duty on one extra liter is minimal
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: wine - 01/20/09 11:48 AM

just out of curiosity, do those box "wine" packing tips work as well as the freezing half & half method you've employed in the past? grin
Posted By: ericinsc

Re: wine - 01/20/09 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by susie8888
I know from experience you can only bring in ONE liter - I had two, so I had to pay an extra $20 - the guy at security just asked me to "estimate" my second purchase (!!) so I think I said $20 (I had a $20 bottle of whiskey and a $32 botle of Grey Goose) - who knows where the math comes into play, but if you really gotta have it, just pay a little extra. (I was brining these for people - I like Belikin) Find people to help you! As for wine at Dury Free, I don't know but I am sure you can call an airport and ask.

One more piece of advice..don't really know if it applies to Belize. but once (either Abaco or Turks and Caicos, can't remember)My wife and I picked up two QUARTS of liquor.. the limit was 1 LITER per person. We were stopped in customs for some time while all the customs agents had a pow-pow. Finally they let us through with no charge when the head honcho came over, waved the agents off, and let us go.

Re: wine - 01/20/09 05:07 PM

Support the local wine pushers!!
It'll save you a bunch of trouble with customs, and you can get good wine at i.e. Wine Devine at USD 15.-. Buy a bottle or two and then go with great and cheap local rum drinks, beer etc. for your everyday alcohol fix.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: wine - 01/20/09 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ernie B
Skip it. In fact, skip Rendezvous.

Sounds more like a personal attack.....some people just don't appreciate good food, particularly if it cost more than $4.95 a plate...
Posted By: J DOG

Re: wine - 01/20/09 06:35 PM

I've had several great dinners at Rendevous, I also enjoy their wine, I've bought a couple of bottles home.

Re: wine - 01/20/09 07:12 PM

Great restaurants at North A.C. with good selection on imported wine at fair prices from $US 30-35/bottle (my personal experience) include:
Rojo
Portofino
Rendezvous
Capricorn
Surely a few more, and a lot more in town.

Have fun and enjoy.

Re: wine - 01/20/09 07:16 PM

Yeah 6-string. Will be coming back at least once a year. See ya here or there, all stringed up and ready to jam...

Re: wine - 01/20/09 07:27 PM

-
Posted By: HavinFun

Re: wine - 01/20/09 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ernie B
Weile, since Im not too concerned about what you think, I'll say no more on this topic, just to end it.

If only you could do as you say. A lot of people don't care what you think.

Weile - Thank you for the input on up north. We'll be staying up there next month and plan on trying a few of those places. We tried your place a couple of years ago and it was fab as was the impromptu concert you gave at the bar smile
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board