AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Openings/Closings

Posted By: Littleengine

Openings/Closings - 01/14/09 04:37 PM

My latest week here is almost over and while I've had a great time, I've also discovered, over the course of the week, that I haven't been able to do/see certain things because the stores no longer exist. I know this is the way things go on the island, and locals find out pretty quickly what's coming or going, so it's not really news to them, but it might be nice to have a permanent thread to update with info on all the businesses that are opening and closing around the island for visitors like me who only come once a year or so and don't know until they get here that their favorite restaurant or shop has closed or moved. Caye Coffee prompted this... I was really looking forward to picking some up (even had an order to fill from a friend)... only to find out it's long gone. :-(
Posted By: deadserious

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/14/09 06:44 PM

Caye Coffee was discussed at length here. Guess you just need to read the board more often. Check back 10+ times per day like I do.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/14/09 07:55 PM

Who is going to take the time and effort do do this list ?
Posted By: H20dog

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/14/09 08:04 PM

I don't think it's illegal to ask questions (via the board) before you come is it??? grin
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/14/09 08:32 PM

Oh - illegal is such a harsh word - frowned up is one of my favorite terms!!

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/14/09 08:33 PM

"Frowned UP"?
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/14/09 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Littleengine
My latest week here is almost over and while I've had a great time, I've also discovered, over the course of the week, that I haven't been able to do/see certain things because the stores no longer exist. I know this is the way things go on the island, and locals find out pretty quickly what's coming or going, so it's not really news to them, but it might be nice to have a permanent thread to update with info on all the businesses that are opening and closing around the island for visitors like me who only come once a year or so and don't know until they get here that their favorite restaurant or shop has closed or moved. Caye Coffee prompted this... I was really looking forward to picking some up (even had an order to fill from a friend)... only to find out it's long gone. :-(

But wasn't it fun trying to figure it all out? I think even the street maps are getting outdated.

Keep an eye on Taco Girl's blog - that is where I get a lot of my info from.
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/14/09 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
Originally Posted by Littleengine

But wasn't it fun trying to figure it all out? I think even the street maps are getting outdated.

Keep an eye on Taco Girl's blog - that is where I get a lot of my info from.

The Evening News with Taco Girl! grin grin
Posted By: Dita

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/14/09 08:47 PM

Film @ 11:00 smile
Posted By: BrusselSprout

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/14/09 09:00 PM

I'm guessing there is going to be quite a bit of turnover activity over the next year. I'll try to update.

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/14/09 09:02 PM

Dita, Isle told me 28 days smile
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/14/09 09:49 PM

I can't even keep up with it all and I live here and blog full time. smile

Was same for changes in our old neighborhood in Canada and the surrounding areas of Little Italy and China Town.
Posted By: ExOkie

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/14/09 11:30 PM

OK speaking of Caye Coffee, since it's no longer available is there decent ground coffee available in it's place? I gots to have my coffee out on on the dock first thing in the morning.

Any suggestions?
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/14/09 11:31 PM

very good Guatemalan coffee at Island Super
Posted By: Phil

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/15/09 12:34 AM

Premium Wines also have fresh beans and will grind them in the shop for freshness and to the courseness of choice - I have their Espresso every morning and it's great. If you want a taster I believe Island Perk on the other side of the steet sells their Coffee.
Posted By: ExOkie

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/15/09 04:49 AM

Cool. Thanks for the suggestions. That's the first provision I'll be looking for when I get there next Saturday.
Posted By: JeanH

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/15/09 04:59 AM

We just got home from having dessert at Casa Picasso, and I was sad to hear that Chris/Beachy had left here and returned to the States. We still had wonderful drinks and great desserts, but it just makes me sad. Jean
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/15/09 05:06 PM

I'm quite fond of Gallon Jug coffee - provided that it is the whole bean and then ground very fine.
Posted By: Littleengine

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/16/09 11:48 PM

Oh, I do check the boards. This last one was my 3rd trip to the island and I monitor it regularly, but I guess I was just silly in thinking that it would be more helpful to all visitors (and locals) if all this info was in one place instead of forcing them all to search individually for every single possible restaurant or store to find out what's still on the island and what's not. Having everyone search the board for ones that they didn't even know had come and gone would be especially fun. And no, there's nothing wrong with asking questions before you come... I actually do it all the time. But heaven help the poor posters who dare to ask about something that's already been posted about but they can't find because it's buried in the middle of some off topic thread. It's really so much fun to watch them get their heads bitten off by some of the the ever so helpful people here who'd rather spit out "check the board" or "don't you know how you use the search function" than give some useful feedback to the questions.

As for who would possibly "have the time" to update this apparently troublesome list, well, of course it would be too much for one person to handle, which is why I suggested it could be a regular thread (though maybe flagged to stay at the top of the page so it didn't get buried) and whoever knew something had opened or closed or moved would just post something to that effect. Really no different from what everyone does now except it would all be handy in one easy to find spot. A simple "no, that's not feasible" or "no, there's no need to make things any easier than they need to be" would have sufficed.

I really wonder if it's just the email/faceless format of this board because most of the people I meet in person when I visit the island are very polite and helpful. Here, more often than not, someone makes a well intentioned suggestion or asks a legitimate question, and they're lucky they don't get their head handed to them. What's the deal, do people actually have to live on the island? No, I take that back. It's not reserved specially for non-residents, sometimes residents treat each other the worst. I guess you're just damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/17/09 12:35 AM

I have to agree on search function I never have much luck finding what I need and often have got help to do so.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/17/09 02:43 AM

RE: searching this board. it works wonderfully. read here if you need guidance:

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/319003.html

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/17/09 03:28 PM

Thanks for posting that Marty.

I saw someone else showed in a post how they searched the board using Google and it worked for them. Have yet to try it but will do at some point.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Openings/Closings - 01/17/09 06:27 PM

no reason in the WORLD to use google. they index the board well, as i have a tool built in that helps them, but the interior search function is quite developed, no way is google a better tool for searching this board.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board