AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Bwana Is there a place on AC for an ATV rental? - 01/17/09 01:00 AM
Greetings! Long time reader, first time poster, great place BTW. I will be flying into AC in about a month and was wondering if there was a place to rent an ATV. I tried a search and didn't come up with any place. I was there last year and went the golf cart route, which was great until we got up north. My brother was there a week ago and claimed the road had degraded even more.

I figured if there was a place that rented one, I would do that, if not, I guess I will make sure to get a cart with the ATV tires and bring a life jacket. wink

Thanks in advance for your help, it's much appreciated.
Posted By: Bwana Re: Is there a place on AC for an ATV rental? - 01/20/09 12:33 AM
I thought I would give this one more bump.

I take it from the lack of response, I better start looking around for a golf cart? LOL

Cheers,

Greg
I don't believe that you can rent an ATV, rent a golf cart with a gas engine [not electric] and all terrain tires, you should be able to make it quite a ways up north.
Posted By: Bwana Re: Is there a place on AC for an ATV rental? - 01/20/09 12:54 AM
Thanks for the reply papashine, that's what I did last year and will likely end up doing again. I just figured if there was a place that rented any kind of ATV, I would go that route, but I thought it would be a long shot at best.
Let's all hope that ATV rentals NEVER come to AC!
Posted By: Phil Re: Is there a place on AC for an ATV rental? - 01/20/09 03:41 PM
There was one last year, but it closed.
Originally Posted by Belize-N-Us

Why should we ALL hope? I certainly don't smile

Most if not all Golf Cart Rentals are not supposed to be taken north of Palapa Bar, and for those who choose Sundivers, Journeys End, Las Terrazas or any of the fine homes for rent north of Palapa Bar, a more sturdy vehicle would be a great and welcome alternative to a 2 hour wait for the water taxi.

I should also question if the term ATV is correct or if in fact UTVs (like a Polaris Ranger or a Yamaha Rhino) are what is being discussed here? If they are ever put into a rental fleet there is a good case for ensuring the vehicles are fitted with a governor to keep speeds below 20mph
Posted By: SimonB Re: Is there a place on AC for an ATV rental? - 01/20/09 04:01 PM
Thankfully! Most of the time they were used to terrorize people on the beach.
Originally Posted by pugwash
If they are ever put into a rental fleet there is a good case for ensuring the vehicles are fitted with a governor to keep speeds below 20mph

Talk about oppressive government.
Originally Posted by pugwash

Why should we ALL hope? I certainly don't smile

and welcome alternative to a 2 hour wait for the water taxi.

I thought the isloation is why you northern folks lived / rented way up there. I remember someone here saying they prefered the water taxis and didn't want the road "traffic" up north.
Given the state of the road up there, traffic is self-limiting.
Why do folks get lost so easily on these threads?

A suggested 20mph governor is to stop folks being "terrorized on the beach" or speeding through town, not for the self limiting road up north laugh
Maximum legal speed limit is 15MPH
Then maybe it needs both a governor and a congressman.
I wasn't referring to the speed people drive at, but the fact that because of the state of the roads people staying "up north" might well choose NOT to rent a vehicle at all.
Your governor would still have to be calibrated higher than the speed limit to give the machine enough power to plough through the 3 ft deep mud puddles!
Speed and power are two COMPLETELY different discussions.
that's what she said...
Posted By: Bwana Re: Is there a place on AC for an ATV rental? - 01/22/09 02:47 AM

BNU: I would rather pay a few extra bucks for an atv rental, than having to "invest" in a golf cart after heading north. I have a Polaris 800 I run around with here in the mountains of Montana. I take it easy when I'm around other people and can assure you, there would be no loss of life as a result of the "evil Bwana" renting a machine in Belize.
Where in Montana? Anywhere near Red Lodge?

What has to be remembered is that when Liberals decide that "you don't need (4x4s, snowmobiles, guns, hunting trips etc)" its because the can't figure out how to build an entitlement program around them, or because they are not allowed in Central Park!

A UTV is a far more practical vehicle for the road "up north" because of the job they are designed to do, but unlike the Club Car, which is built on an aluminum frame, most UTVs are steel with powder coat and only last 2-3 years in the San Pedro climate

And Jesse, the speed limit in the US tops out at 75mph but vehicles are designed to go just a little quicker for overtaking, acceleration and safety: If a governor was set to 15mph at 4x4 high, then 4x4 low would barely function, and that feature is part of the reason a UTV is a good idea up north in rainy season
Posted By: Bwana Re: Is there a place on AC for an ATV rental? - 01/22/09 05:32 AM
Pugwash: Billings, I do a lot of my riding up at Cooke City.
Posted By: A C Re: Is there a place on AC for an ATV rental? - 01/29/09 12:13 PM
are there undeveloped land that people hike etc here? wouldnt that be a good use for a 4wheeler atv?
Posted By: JeanH Re: Is there a place on AC for an ATV rental? - 01/29/09 01:56 PM
Huh? If you put ATV's out where people want to hike, then pretty soon the flora and fauna is destroyed and there's no reason to hike there.
Originally Posted by Bwana
Pugwash: Billings, I do a lot of my riding up at Cooke City.

And a burger and milkshake afterwards at the Bearpaw?
Posted By: A C Re: Is there a place on AC for an ATV rental? - 01/29/09 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by JeanH
Huh? If you put ATV's out where people want to hike, then pretty soon the flora and fauna is destroyed and there's no reason to hike there.

Very good point.

AC
Posted By: A C Re: Is there a place on AC for an ATV rental? - 01/29/09 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by JeanH

I wanted to clarify, I wasn't talking about tearing through the natural habitat at 45 mph, I guess what I meant was if there are trails already, and maybe someone isn't fit enough to climb them normally wouldnt an atv be a good alternative? Im big on the environment and wouldnt dream of doing or suggesting something that would ruin it.

AC
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board