AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Mechanics/shops on the island?

Posted By: A C

Mechanics/shops on the island? - 02/05/09 12:03 PM

Question for a friend:
Are there mechanics on the island for cars/karts? I mean Im sure there are but how are they? Would this be something someone could make money doing there if they are real good/not expensive?

thanks!

AC
Posted By: natalie p

Re: Mechanics/shops on the island? - 02/05/09 12:43 PM

There are many several car/cart mechanics. A couple who are pretty good. Not sure about motorbike mechanics and we're seeing more and more motorbikes.When I had one a few years ago I could not find a good mechanic.
Posted By: A C

Re: Mechanics/shops on the island? - 02/05/09 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by natalie p
There are many several car/cart mechanics. A couple who are pretty good. Not sure about motorbike mechanics and we're seeing more and more motorbikes.When I had one a few years ago I could not find a good mechanic.

so this wouldnt be a good way for someone to find work? My buddy was thinking of coming down for a month or two and hes a mechanic...

AC
Posted By: beachbumin

Re: Mechanics/shops on the island? - 02/05/09 01:22 PM

There still is the issue of a work permit. Might be difficult to get for a short period of time. Although, the times they are a changing and a good mechanic, especially for motorcycles would be a blessing.
Posted By: Nancy1340

Re: Mechanics/shops on the island? - 02/05/09 06:21 PM

When we were there a couple turned their cart on it's side. Something that happens a lot with people not knowing how to drive one. The cost quoted them to repair a bent, bent not broken, canopy top & cracked rear fender? $3,000!
Posted By: *I Do* Belize Weddings

Re: Mechanics/shops on the island? - 02/05/09 07:39 PM

tons of mechanics for carts on the island AC.

It will take 6 months min until your friend can get the work permit...

I recently heard the work permit process is changing and they are limiting the number they will be giving out. Best to start your own business and apply for a self employment permit and create jobs for others down here.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board