AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 12:38 AM
Press Release 20 February 2009

SAGA Humane Society Issues Urgent Warning to Pet Owners

SAGA Humane Society has been formally notified that the Town Council and Health Inspector intend a dog 'eradication' within the next three weeks. The Town Council are obliged by law to give sufficient and adequate notification to the public but no date has been announced by them at this time.

SAGA Humane Society acknowledges that there are a number of dogs that have been allowed by their owners to become diseased, dangerous or a nuisance to their community and that this has to be dealt with in an effective manner. SAGA Humane Society do not believe that poisoning is effective and, for the next few weeks, will be picking up obviously uncared for dogs assessing their health and humanely euthanizing them when necessary.

For those who are unaware, dog eradication involves laying strychnine poison bait for dogs. There are several reasons why SAGA opposes this form of population control and they are as follows:

1. Strychnine poisoning causes a long and very painful death for animals affected. It does not discriminate between pets and strays. Any dog could be poisoned.
2. Allowing poison bait to be laid around puts pets, wildlife and children at risk. Should the poison enter the food chain, protected species could easily be killed.
3. Poisoning dogs is actually illegal and considered a form of cruelty in many other countries. The World Health Organisation opposes the use of strychnine poison as a method of domestic animal control and that is a good indication that the Town Council is not up to date with current and acceptable approaches to dealing with stray dogs.
4. Poisoning dogs is a very temporary solution. As long as there is food available, and there is because of the persistence of businesses and households in not disposing of their garbage properly, the population will return to current levels within 18 months.
5. The cause of the problem is irresponsible dog ownership. Individuals who allow their dogs to wander the streets unsupervised, who don't neuter their animals and allow them to breed rampantly and those that abandon their dogs to the streets are the absolute causes of the stray dog nuisance problem.
6. It has been well established that education and neutering are the only long term solutions to dog overpopulation.

Ambergris Caye is a small island and these problems could be easily managed if the Town Council worked closely with SAGA Humane Society, without resorting to the cruel and dangerous method of strychnine poisoning. San Pedro Town Council could become forward thinking and progressive and instead of poisoning animals on an island long considered to be an 'eco' tourism destination. They could become a model of good practice.

Our community is already struggling with the current world economic problems. Most of our tourists come from countries where dog poisoning is considered barbaric and is, in fact, illegal. Every time San Pedro Town Council undertakes dog poisoning, there is an international outcry. The last thing San Pedro needs is further bad publicity.

If you would like to report a stray dog who is un-neutered, sick, aggressive, or a nuisance, please contact SAGA Humane Society at 226 3266.

Posted By: Lucy44 Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 04:16 AM
Hear...hear!!
Posted By: SnoopysMom Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 04:57 AM
OMG - how do they determine where to place the poison laced food? Do they throw the food into private yards?
Cruel, sick, and ignorant-understatement.

Poison the thieves, murderers, etc... leave the innocent animals alone!

mad
Posted By: govikes Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 01:40 PM
Unfortunately the current local government are still using poison as a method of controlling the stray animal population. The last time they did this, the guy who was throwing it out must have been having such a good time, he threw some into a couple of yards that had dogs. As I recall, he said their dogs were a nuisance because they barked at him. Gotta watch your animals very closely, especially if you walk with them off leash around this time. Hopefully someday soon, San Pedro government will be able to step forward into a new milenium and figure out a better, safer, more humane way to deal with this problem!
Posted By: Moose In Belize Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 03:23 PM
The stray dogs are part of the charm of SP. I can never figure out why they follow the tourists and leave the locals alone. Must be street smarts. They aren't a nuisance.
Posted By: Lucy44 Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 03:24 PM
Could SAGA work with the local govt. to oversee and possibly implement the humane capture and euthanization of these animals? Or does that run contrary with SAGA's charter? How about free spay and neutering clinics, if they're not already offered?
Posted By: Lucy44 Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Moose in Belize
The stray dogs are part of the charm of SP. I can never figure out why they follow the tourists and leave the locals alone. Must be street smarts. They aren't a nuisance.

I think the locals use their boots to deter the strays.
Posted By: SimonB Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Lucy44
Could SAGA work with the local govt. to oversee and possibly implement the humane capture and euthanization of these animals?

That is the current plan.

Originally Posted by Lucy44
How about free spay and neutering clinics, if they're not already offered?

They do offer free spay/neuter clinics.
Posted By: SnoopysMom Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 04:16 PM
Not sure why locals are hesitant to have their dogs spayed. I have heard comments about dogs dying during the procedure, etc.

The poison solution is completely disgusting - these poor innocent creatures. Surely there is another option..
Posted By: Keepin'itReel Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 04:26 PM
In addition to the current efforts that SAGA and friends of the organization are making, it would be great if concerned friends and neighbors made efforts to encourage people who have unspayed/unneutered pets to have the procedure done (grass roots campaigning). In order to do this, we need to know what the current policy of SAGA is on the cost for the procedure - in other words, in what instances, if any, is it being offered free of charge? I think for a lot of the people living here, the cost might be a deterrent when there are already limited funds available for basic necessities. Also what is the procedure - what days can you bring your pet for spay/neuter and at what times? Thanks.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 04:32 PM
yes. culturally, they are just doing what has always been done, all they know. we have been in other parts of the world that, like bz, have seen dogs and cats as 'just animals'. a completely different mind-set then ours. in turkey, people were almost mortified that we let our cats in the house, let alone on our bed.

this is part of the needed education SAGA speaks of.
Posted By: Shopgirl Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 04:42 PM
This is very sad to hear. I also think that the dogs are part of the charm. It is a barbaric method that they are chooseing to use. Have they tried any other methods in the past? Is it really about the cost of the procedure that keeps the owner from haveing a pet spayed/nuetered there? What are the procedures for issueing this and who follows up? Are there repercussions for the person who knowingly poisons a pet in their own yard? I just can't help but hope that someone will come up with a better means of controling this, I know that in the states licensing has helped but it is not a complete answer to the problem. I also wonder if they thought about the timing? It should be the peak of tourist time, spring breaks are starting. What person would wish to see this on vacation OR at any time for that matter.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 04:47 PM
humbly, maybe this is a timely moment to say SAGA needs our help, no matter how big or small.

SAGA website donations/needs request page

i have no affiliation with SAGA. i just feel it is a good cause.
Posted By: Northern Canuck Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 04:55 PM
When we were in Melaque Mexico we were told that now and then (the locals knew when) the army would come into town in the evening and any dog without a collar or tag wandering around was shot. Being dog lovers and owners and not used to the 'custom' you can imagine how shocked we were to hear dogs being shot while we were at a restaurant trying to eat dinner. That seemed cruel but not as cruel as poisoning and it was at least a little more discriminate. The officers then removed the dead dog, who comes around after and disposes of the carcasses here?
Posted By: Renee-md Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 05:17 PM
We are leaving today in about 15 minutes.I was just checking the board and saw this post. We saw a mother dog with puppies living under the pink house next to Capricorn restaurant this morning. Could someone please notify SAGA to pick them up. This is a horrible way to decrease pet population.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by sweetjane
humbly, maybe this is a timely moment to say SAGA needs our help, no matter how big or small.

SAGA website donations/needs request page

i have no affiliation with SAGA. i just feel it is a good cause.

bump.
Good points Keepin' It Reel and both your thoughts SJ are well said.
Posted By: Keepin'itReel Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/21/09 08:58 PM
I don't think SAGA has the resources at the moment to go picking up animals in need of rescue - it usually depends on the kindness and caring of people who bring animals (including moms and pups/kittens) to the shelter. Don't know if the baiting with poisoned meat goes up north though. Also I understand that the poisoning comes as a response to people who are complaining to the health inspector or other town officials of dogs that are being a nuisance. Most likely this has to do with people getting their garbage strewn all over their yards on a regular basis by these hungry strays. Maybe another way to help is to get better garbage bins in place?
Posted By: Monel Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/22/09 04:34 AM
Well all I know is after Shmoo just getting attacked by two dogs down the street about 15 mins ago I have less canine empathy as far as the untrained and hostile dogs that roam the town go.
If she weren't the size she is she may have been seriously hurt and being blind isn't really in any shape to defend herself without us to do it for her.
So while I may not agree with the control methods I do definitely see that there is a problem
Posted By: sweetjane Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/22/09 05:26 PM
bump. i made a donation, how about you?? smile
Posted By: Monel Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/22/09 05:41 PM
good for you Jane smile - me too, I donated three hours cooking and a pan full of fudge to the bake-sale smile
Posted By: sweetjane Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/22/09 07:33 PM
mmmmmmm, fudge. way to go, monel!
Posted By: tacogirl Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/22/09 07:35 PM
I ate some fudge and it was gooood
Posted By: lovey and thurston Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/23/09 01:21 AM
Didn't get the fudge unfortunatly, but it was a great Market. Good work people. Our SNWA had a booth and did very well. Hope Saga made a good profit as well. I think they should now put out a cookbook and call it "Wok Your Dog".
Posted By: Keepin'itReel Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/23/09 01:37 AM
Hey Monel, I really do know where you're coming from. After the umpteenth time this afternoon of having to chase my neighbor's dogs from inside our yard, where they were chasing after my cats, I will have to go speak to them about it. These dogs also take every opportunity if we are not careful to lock the garbage bins to rip those open and make a mess. I also saw them chase a poor older gentleman down the street the other day, growling and nipping at him as he tried to defend himself on a public roadway. They seem to be oblivious to their dogs' impact. It seems like a lot of dog "owners" here keep dogs but don't give them medical attention when they need it, don't feed them all that regularly, and also don't attempt to control their activities, so they roam the neighborhood in packs, tearing up the garbage bins and general making a nuisance of themselves. This on top of often being unspayed/unneutered. It is unfortunately the lack of control over these kinds of dogs that will lead to the untimely and inhumane demise of many others. In the States, if a dog is a nuisance, rather than blindly killing a whole bunch of dogs, the owner can be served a summons and called to account for the lack of control over their pet.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/23/09 01:51 AM
Keep it Reel - you have hit the nail on the head. If folks could be more responsible pet owners then these mass eradications would not be necessary.

SAGA will neuter/spay a cat or dog free of charge to those that cannot afford it. The government also runs rabies and other vaccination programs and offer the meds free of charge to those that cannot afford it.

There is no excuse for people to say that they cannot afford to "care" for their animals.

This is a cultural issue. I spoke to one of my neighbours about the fact that his dog was running around tearing up the garbage cans, got pregnant and had a pile of pups (wandering the neighbourhood) and the constant barking all night long - he shrugged his shoulders and said "that's what dogs do." Not long after that the pups were gone and the dog - it seems that a crocodile ate some, traffic got the rest. My neighbour went out and got another dog, got it fixed, keeps it out of the trash and has realized that he can train it to only bark at strange occurrences in the night rather than just for the fun of it. He is much closer to his pet and they seem to have a very happy, rewarding and loyal relationship. He was shocked that you could "teach and train" a dog to do things in a different manner. I am hoping he will pass this info on to friends and family.

Until San Pedro adopts a dog registration program, and maintains and enforces such there will always be fairly serious problems with animals on the street.

It is a tough situation but the concerns of health and safety to people have to be primary.
Posted By: Monel Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/23/09 02:39 AM
Glad you enjoyed it Tacogirl...I was kind of worried it was going to totally melt. It has usually been something I make at Christmas time and would give people in Canada where of course I never had to face the potential of it melting while taking it to whomever it was going to...so its good to know that it survived getting there and hopefully made some money to help out as well as being a tasty treat.
Posted By: Keepin'itReel Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/23/09 02:40 AM
Thanks for the info Amanda, and well said. I am always happy to hear about a situation that turns out for the positive, and I do think that it is likely to be passed on. I agree it is to some degree a cultural difference, I guess kind of a different ranking on the priority list if you will (although there are plenty of people in the States and elsewhere who ignore their pets' well-being as well unfortunately). I hope though that the thoughts here in this thread do not come across as sanctimonious (like oh I know better than you do), but more like hey I can share something helpful with you, and I also accept all the lessons you have to teach me. Let's hope that more and more ways can be found to create this positive influence all around, which helps animals and people alike!
Posted By: sweetjane Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/23/09 03:46 AM
Originally Posted by sweetjane
yes. culturally, they are just doing what has always been done, all they know. we have been in other parts of the world that, like bz, have seen dogs and cats as 'just animals'. a completely different mind-set then ours. in turkey, people were almost mortified that we let our cats in the house, let alone on our bed.

this is part of the needed education SAGA speaks of.
Posted By: Monel Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/23/09 04:00 AM
MMMmmmm Turkeyyy smile

wink
Posted By: Marty Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/24/09 09:59 PM
Spaying and neutering
Do the right thing
For your community, for you and for your dog

There are far too many dogs in Belize that are not being cared for. If you are reading this, yours isn’t one of them because you care about your dog and your community.
Dogs are domestic animals and because of this, they are entirely dependent on humans to care for them.When anyone takes on the responsibility of a dog they are making a commitment to that dog, to care for it properly and to their community, not to allow the dog to become a nuisance.
In return, dogs guard our property, protect and play with our children and are loyal companions.
Right now, in Belize, neutering and spaying are the most important things any dog owner can do for their dog and their community, but some owners are reluctant.They have heard stories or myths that stop them from doing the right thing.
This leaflet will help you, as a dog owner, to be better informed about spaying and neutering so that you can make the best decision possible.
What is neutering and spaying?
Neutering and spaying are small operations done on male and female dogs, which removes their reproductive organs.
But I want my dog to have puppies?
Why?There is medical evidence that female dogs spayed before their first heat are healthier and have fewer medical problems.Having a litter of puppies is hard work and expensive if you do it right – and of course, as a responsible dog owner you’ll want to do it right.You’ll need to buy more food for the mother dog while she is pregnant and even more when she is feeding her puppies.Think about the cost.  Not only that, but if you care about your neighbour’s children, you’ll need to make sure all of those puppies are seen by a veterinarian and given proper worming tablets. Did you know that all puppies are born with worms and that those worms can cause illness in children? You’ll also have to buy extra food for those puppies until you find them good homes. Did you know that every one of those puppies can have their own puppies 7 months after they are born? Does your neighbourhood need that many new dogs?
But don’t male dogs lose their personality if they are neutered?
Strangely, people have no problem neutering horses, cattle or pigs – but when it comes to dogs, they get very uncomfortable. Dogs are domestic animals just like cows and horses and just like you wouldn’t want a bull or a stallion running around your neighbourhood, you don’t really want to have entire male dogs doing that either. Most dogs that bite children are un neutered male dogs. Un neutered male dogs like to urinate everywhere, marking everything. They often stray, and cause dog fights, which is a nuisance to everyone that lives near them. In other words, they are a big responsibility. Neutered male dogs live longer, they are healthier and they won’t catch deadly sexually transmitted diseases, which are very painful and very expensive to treat. If you put all the time, money and effort into feeding and raising a dog, wouldn’t you want it to be healthy and live a longer life?
I don’t want to hurt my dog. I’m afraid it will be painful?
Did you know that veterinarians study even longer than human doctors do? They are very skilled and they know exactly how to perform these simple operations without causing your dog any suffering. The dogs are completely under anaesthetic and can’t feel a thing. Male dogs recover by the next day and don't notice anything. Female dogs take a few days to recover completely, but they do not suffer – they just need to be kept calm for a couple of days until everything heals up.
The other thing to think about is all the pain and suffering caused by not neutering or spaying your dog.
Let’s look at the facts:
  • One of the major causes of sickness and death for dogs in Belize is a horrible sexually transmitted disease called TVT. Neutering and spaying your dog will stop it from being sexually active and catching this disease.
  • Another major cause of death and injury is road traffic accidents. Un neutered and un spayed dogs will roam more often, leading them to be hit by cars and run over. Neutered male dogs are more likely to stay at home and protect their property than go out looking for mates.
  • Female dogs that are not spayed have a very high risk of getting breast cancer, just like humans. This is a painful and deadly disease and is very expensive to treat.
  • Male dogs that are not neutered can suffer from testicular and prostate cancers. No man would want to put his dog through that sort of torture. Neutering your dog will eliminate these risks.
  • Male dogs that are not neutered can become very frustrated and unhappy. They are more likely to fight with other dogs and can smell a female in ‘heat’ for up to six miles. This can lead to behaviour problems such as aggression, destructive behaviour and excessive barking.
I want to be a good owner but I don’t want my neighbours and friends to laugh at me because I’ve had my dog neutered?
Your neighbours and friends won’t be laughing when you have a healthy, obedient and loyal dog that doesn’t cause a nuisance, turn over garbage cans, fight with other dogs and bite children. Your dog will look better, behave better, cost you less to care for and live a lot longer. Male dogs can smell a female on heat for up to 6 miles. They will form packs at this time and become a major nuisance in your community.
Do the right thing.Get your dog neutered or spayed. For more information contact SAGA  at 226-3266.

San Pedro Daily

Posted By: SFJeff Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/27/09 06:08 PM
Ok... so I've heard all kinds of conflicting reports as to whether or not the Town Board is indeed going to partake in another eradication/poisoning...

SPBA say's no, that the Health Dept is working with Saga on alternatives...

Other's say Yes, they are still going to...

ANYONE have ACCURATE/up to date info?

Also if so, what areas of the island are to be targeted???
Posted By: collyk Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 02/27/09 09:37 PM
The information I have received from SAGA is that they met with the Health Inspector and in response to the planned eradication with poison, they are trying to catch as many stray dogs as possible themselves in the hope that it will be considered sufficient for the eradication by poison to be halted (for now). There were no guarantees that the Town Council and the Health Inspector will not proceed.

You would have to ask the health inspector for information regarding areas he is targeting. But even if the poisoning is put off for now, it will commence again as soon as the dog population increases to a perceived nuisance level and that usually happens within about 18 months. So without on going support, with the public bringing dogs to SAGA, this is likely to become an issue again in the not too distant future.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 03/01/09 02:28 AM
bump. please: volunteers needed to help bring strays in...
Posted By: SP Daily Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 03/01/09 02:39 AM
I stopped by Saga Friday morning to purchase flea treatment but found a locked front door and a sign saying that they are closed every weekday morning for surgeries. So how would I bring in a stray dog? And when are they open for business?
Posted By: papashine Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 03/01/09 02:40 PM
bump
Posted By: collyk Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 03/01/09 03:40 PM
If you knock, they should answer if they are there. Obviously, liaising with them about the best time for them to accept strays would be ideal.

They are running on a shoestring and don't have staff to deal with the public when they are operating, which is why they have to close during these hours.

If you want to volunteer, call SAGA during opening hours and find out when you would be of most use. It would be great if we had a fully staffed humane society that could be open to respond to emergencies 24/7, but that is something to be working on for the future. Maybe someone would like to volunteer to handle reception at SAGA when they are operating.

Right now, the immediate issue is tackling the stray problem before the Town Council feel obliged to do it themselves. Making sure that everyone you know has their pets spayed and neutered is also a priority as many people are not aware but most of the stray dogs on the island are slowly dying from a horrible sexually transmitted disease called TVT. Eliminating sexual activity prevents this problem, but even more importantly it is the only humane and effective form of birth control for dogs.

I hate to say this, but unless there is a serious shift in awareness about neutering, this problem is going to get worse, not better.

And on that note, would anyone be willing to contribute some nice pictures of dogs and kids in San Pedro for an educational leaflet. If so, please message me.
Posted By: Keepin'itReel Re: SAGA Warning to Pet Owners - 03/02/09 02:40 AM
Thanks collyk! Sooner we get that leaflet out the better . . . is there some protocol for targeting the strays to pick up? Some recommendations for how to go about it? I would imagine keeping a leash, extra collar and some kind of food as enticement handy while driving around would be useful, for instance.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board