AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Crunch time...

Posted By: tacogirl

Crunch time... - 03/19/09 08:56 PM

It is down to the wire and the numbers are really close for the Lonely Planet Travel Blog Awards. I am so on the edge of my seat.

Thanks to everyone who voted tacogirl for best image blog so far.
Posted By: gailtor

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by tacogirl
I am so on the edge of my seat.

I can just see you sitting on the edge of your seat. You better get tacoboy to distract you away from the laptop. smile

It's going to be a LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG 18 hours or so until voting closes.

Have my fingers crossed for you. IMHO you certainly deserve the award. I have voted and sent the information to friends, family and work mates.

Gail cool
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 01:20 AM

I just realized I could vote again from work. Is that cheating? grin wink
Posted By: pugwash

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 01:36 AM

Not for a liberal laugh

Pity you are not from Chicago...you get 4 or 5 votes each there smile
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 01:45 AM

LA - bruce tried to vote from his phone but could not (we share an isp). please feel free to vote on his behalf. thx. smile

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 02:10 AM

Thanks, Jane - please tell Bruce I've voted on his behalf.

pug, you know I consider that term a compliment. That and "lawyer" and "bitch." Maybe someday you'll be able to come up with something that's actually insulting - until then please consider your disdain for my political leanings properly noted. wink
Posted By: lil'red

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 02:43 AM

TG, for you I just broke my cardinal rule about never using "reply all" when e-mailing. I am repaying the many invitations to bbq's, birth announcements, pickin' parties and wedding invitations by having just sent a blanket e-mail to about 100 people asking them to vote. If I get back 100 e-mails telling me they voted I am forwarding every one to you, lol. Good luck. You really deserve to win.

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 03:29 AM

Thanks so much all smile just watching south park and trying not to think to much about it ha ha Paul is giving me occasional updates.
Posted By: azbob

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 03:45 AM

You deserve it Taco! It will happen!
Posted By: Ambergris Bob

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 03:48 AM

Done, you're ahead as I saw the results!

Bob

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 02:58 PM

smile
Posted By: Marty

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 03:15 PM

you look way ahead to me!!!!! awesome!!!!
Posted By: Nancy1340

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 04:19 PM

I can just see Taco doing double time in aqua class to get back and check on the voting.

Sic 'em Taco. Keeping fingers crossed for you.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 05:36 PM

HAH! #2 position had a LOT of votes deleted!

GO TACO GO!

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 06:26 PM

Ty Marty

lol Nancy I could not even go to class today to fidgety to pay attention

klcman going for the gold lol
Posted By: swanno

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 06:29 PM

Here's the latest scores
Best Image Blog

atodocaucho.blogspot.com (22.0%, 796 Votes)
elsuenodeindia.blogspot.com (20.0%, 727 Votes)

Posted By: Gridguy

Re: Crunch time... - 03/20/09 08:19 PM

Wow!
One of those is mine...

Re: Crunch time... - 03/21/09 02:50 PM

I came in at first place with 10 points and now it is up to the judges to decide the rest and they will announce the winners will be announced at a party in San Francisco on Thursday 26th at 6pm.
Posted By: Mary1220

Re: Crunch time... - 03/21/09 06:44 PM

We need to find someone in San Francisco to go and represent you on Thursday 26th when you WIN as I am sure you will! Congrats
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Crunch time... - 03/21/09 06:52 PM

Tacogirl will be there -trust me-she is staying at Forrest's appt in San Fran
Posted By: Mary1220

Re: Crunch time... - 03/21/09 07:15 PM

Great news send the girl out to the wolves in CA she will do great. It will make her appreciate SP more!
Posted By: Tim Callanan

Re: Crunch time... - 03/21/09 07:39 PM

Yaaaaahoooooo!!
Posted By: terrielinn

Re: Crunch time... - 03/21/09 07:56 PM

Way to go TG!!!!! Absolutely awesome smile

heart it!!!!

Re: Crunch time... - 03/21/09 07:59 PM

All right! Congrats Taco! laugh

The judges will have to see how great your blog is. We have a few thousand people that will be glad to show them!!!!!! Fingers still crossed!
Posted By: Gela

Re: Crunch time... - 03/21/09 08:26 PM

I live an hour away - should I go and represent? Gela

Re: Crunch time... - 03/21/09 09:36 PM

Pedro is right... looks like I am heading to San Fran.

I can have a plus one if you are interested in making the drive Gela (or to anyone who lives in the area) http://www.sfmomos.com/

Thanks for all your support.

I am soooo excited it is feeling very surreal now and strange the thought of getting on a plane and heading there. I hope there is no puffer machine at the airport there ha ha.

I better go email and reserve my tickets for the party now. smile

Re: Crunch time... - 03/21/09 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pedro1
-trust me-

Rut Row, your in trouble now TC. wink

Re: Crunch time... - 03/21/09 11:02 PM

Laurie - I would love to join you! I could be the roving reporter reporting on the blog queen wink

Re: Crunch time... - 03/21/09 11:23 PM

Gela consider yourself my plus 1 for the party smile
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Crunch time... - 03/22/09 12:16 AM

that's so cute! smile

Re: Crunch time... - 03/23/09 07:10 PM

smile

TG is getting her plans together. I guess I need to rest up!

Re: Crunch time... - 03/26/09 03:39 PM

In about 6 hours I will be meeting up with TacoGirl in SF. I've collected several hugs to give her from her fellow ACB well wishers. Any other messages for her?

I'll keep you guys posted as to the results this evening. smile
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Crunch time... - 03/26/09 03:45 PM

Have a wonderful evening! How fun.

Thanks for the updates.

Re: Crunch time... - 03/26/09 03:53 PM

tell her TO HAVE FUN AND WE LOVE HER!!!!!

Re: Crunch time... - 03/26/09 06:35 PM

Go Taco, Go!!!!!! Enjoy to the max and don't forget to take home the peanut butter for Paul! laugh

Re: Crunch time... - 03/26/09 08:49 PM

Hi all from a net cafe in Saf Fran.

Enjoying my tri very much but it is freezing here ha ha.

I just went to TRader Joes and could have bought up 1/2 the store but settles for some dark chocolate roasted pistachi toffee and electrolyte water.

Also found strwberries for $1 a box and had to buy 3 that is as good as gold lol.

Will see Gela very soon and LA over the weekend.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Crunch time... - 03/26/09 11:16 PM

All the very best to you, Angel.

Re: Crunch time... - 03/26/09 11:22 PM

Hey all - have found TacoGirl huddled over the head register in SF LOL. We're getting ready to venture out and see a bit of the city as we head down to the party. Will keep you posted!
Posted By: Otteralum

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 12:03 AM

counting down to the announcement -- whoooooohoooooo!

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 03:38 AM

where are the results. they w3ere supposed to be announced. I don't see them on the site anywhere...???

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 05:53 AM

We have just returned from the event. TacoGirls category was up first - she did not win for best Image Blog, but in my mind she did.

The event was held in a small room at a sports bar. The snacks were very good and there was Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer, wine, sodas etc. PBR was one of the sponsors so they were giving out 6 packs as prizes. The MC was a Scottish comedian in a Kilt (I did ask what was underneath it but got no answer).

Each table had new editions of Trip Books on each table for the taking. Laurie did get a set of trip books to take home and a few other souvenirs.

The official event ended around 7:30 so we headed off for a light dinner and then took a taxi back to the apartment.

Laurie is very glad she came for the event even though she didn't win. I think tomorrow is a shopping and sightseeing day.

Thanks everyone for your enthusiasm and support. I know that Laurie really appreciates it.
Posted By: chunkyruth

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 06:03 AM

What???? She was robbed...

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 06:04 AM

Hey Gals! Just read the results on twitter
Taco, you're our #1!!! and you won the vote of the people - that's what counts! wink

Gela, please do your best to wear her out tomorrow or I'll never be able to keep up with her on Saturday! See you soon smile

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 06:28 AM

I demand a recount !! [Linked Image]

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 01:26 PM

sounds fishy. what were the other criteria besides the vote?
Posted By: gailtor

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 03:09 PM

Yes I too am sorry to see that TG didn't win (in the eyes of Daily Planet) but she did win as far as her loyal followers are concerned. smile

Per DP "Public voting will make up 50% of the overall score, the judges votes will make up the remaining 50%"

http://lplabs.com/2009/02/25/how-were-working-out-the-votes-for-the-awards/ shows the complete details on how the final results were determined.

Once again, congratulations to tacogirl, we love you and your blog!
Gail cool
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 03:31 PM

Well, it is a beautiful day here in Northern California - the sun is shining and it is expected to be in the mid 70s. I hope you gals go out and enjoy the City! I'll be slaving away in my office.

Cheers!

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 03:38 PM

frown frown frown but Taco you are NUMBER 1 with us! smile

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 03:47 PM

Thanks all - the only announced the first place winners so not even sure if I got 2and or 3rd.

Had a great time at the party. Matthew gave me a box of LP books for coming from Belize.

That was grand prize every LP book somewhere in the 485 range (worth 10 grand and went to 2 guys who are in a hostle in Cambodia right now) Everyone who won got blackberries power monkeys adobe pro and a couple more things. Grand prize winners wer in Cambodia.

Seems like most of the winners were more rovng travel blogs maybe I need to get off the island more ha ha.

Off to shop today I have been good so far but going to let loose a bit later on.

Posted By: terrielinn

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 04:22 PM

TG: Glad to see you are not letting them "rain on your parade". No wonder they are called "Lonely Planet". I am sure the other blogs are good, but I truly think yours is amazing!

I agree with azbob: you are # 1 with us.

Thanks for keeping us connected to the Isla Bonita!
Posted By: little sister

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 07:23 PM

You are NUMBER ONE, we love you and your Blog Laurie for keeping us in San Pedro when we can't be! Marlene
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 08:34 PM

Laurie, The Lonely planet judges did a poor job of choosing the other blogger. They do not understand what it is you do.

Your blog allows thousands of people access to San Pedro town happenings on a daily bassis 24/7. That is amazing!!

You provide so much happiness to so many people on this message board alone I can't imagine how many others from all over the world are touched by your tireless postings and pictures.

You are number 1, Don't ever think your not. You are a very special person to a lot of people.
We are very proud of you. Thank you for all that you do.

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 08:39 PM

cannot say it better than 2miles. Brava!!
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: Crunch time... - 03/27/09 08:51 PM

Oh, she's gonna be impossible now!!! laugh heart

Re: Crunch time... - 03/28/09 12:17 AM

Thanks so much for all the wonderful compliments everyone.

Paul said during the public voting to remember I do not have to win this (even though we both really wanted it) and I should just enjoy it all no matter what so when I did not win I just remembered that and it made everything ok.

Besides that I am still feeling like I have good reason to celebrate which is so much fun.

KC I bet tacoboy would say I was already there sometimes before all this ha ha.

Re: Crunch time... - 03/28/09 03:38 AM

Just a quick update. I left Laurie around 1:00pm. I sent her on her way to Best Buy on Muni #33 - I went the opposite direction on Muni 31 and 30 to get back to the train station.

We had a nice big late breakfast today (she's getting her fill of "beef" :-)) and I now she is primed for shopping. Best Buy, Old Navy and Walgreens were the agreed upon shopping destinations. If she goes anywhere else - it's not my responsibility.

Leah Ann will take over tomorrow morning - hopefully they will be doing some serious site seeing.

I feel very priviledged to have shared this event with her.

Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Crunch time... - 03/28/09 03:39 PM

Gela, sounds like it's been a fun vacation for her. Thanks for seeing that she has a great time while she's here in U.S.

Taco, you are #1 to me! Keep up the good work with the blog. Wish I was there with you this weekend... next time! smile xo

Re: Crunch time... - 03/28/09 03:42 PM

ha ha to true Gela steak and eggs at Mel's diner

The bus rout you picked out for me was great - loved the scenic tour and was thinkign I could have just rode busses around all day looking at stuff lol.

It was go great that you got to come and hang out - made trip o much better.

I could have slept in a but this morning but I figured LA will be here before I know it so I may as well look awake even if still in pj's lol

Posted By: klcman

Re: Crunch time... - 03/28/09 06:02 PM

Have no fear, TG! If LA is using her GPS to find you, it's highly likely you have time for brekkie & lunch before she arrives smile smile smile

(And I ditto everything all the others have said. )

Re: Crunch time... - 03/28/09 06:12 PM

Ahh klc, LOL, a train station is a train station - right? smile
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board