AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Maybe anyone of you have noticed, that in the last months, Reef Radio speaks mainly Spanish.

I know we have a big community of Guatemalans and Hondurians on the Island and some of them are not able to speak any English at all. But it if you can do all in Spanish, even Radio and sometimes the Morning Show, why would bother yourself to learn English at all?

My Question to the Board, is there a need for a English Radio on the Island? With a Full Program that contains News, Music, Talk Shows and Commercials. The Target Audience could be Belizeans and Tourists.
Great idea!
Agreed.
Posted By: Tracker Re: English speaking Radio on Ambergris Caye - 05/28/09 04:56 AM
Sometimes it's hard to believe that Belize is an English speaking nation. With English being it's first langauge.
The same could be said of the United States.
Posted By: Cayemen Re: English speaking Radio on Ambergris Caye - 05/28/09 05:02 PM
Tough, even after a Earthquake the Radio Program is in Spanish and the most of the Morning Show

... except the Speaker from NEMO, because the government only communicates in English.
Posted By: SimonB Re: English speaking Radio on Ambergris Caye - 05/28/09 05:10 PM
Why don't you go see Eiden and talk to him about it.
Invisible hand of the market has spoken.

get an Ipod and quit your bitchin.
i have an XM radio if u want.
Belize is officially an English speaking country, but remember that it is a diverse nation of culture - Reef Radio is a san pedro station and is catering to the majority of Spanish speaking folks - its part of the mexican yucatan and was settled by spanish speaking Mestizo people and maya people. Maybe you can listen and improve your own command of the locally spoken Spanish dialect. Tune into Love FM if you want English news.

I have always felt we need an english radio station for those of us who are language challenged.

We can call it Gringo Radio. Piggy back Reef Radio to keep the island informed.

However, Reef Radio has almost exclusivly local advertisers who target locals. The locals on this island were blessed with learning 'LANGUAGE' not 'A' language. Most speak English, Spanish, and Creole and pass betwen them seemingly with no effort.

Finding a market for listeners will be easy. Finding advertisers who feel they are not already reaching that market may be a problem.

Well, we could get pug to stand at the city park and be the Crowns Towne Crier once every 6 hours. Or, maybe Peter.
OOH! Or , now that could be interesting, don'tcha think? Imagine all the embellishment.
Posted By: pugwash Re: English speaking Radio on Ambergris Caye - 05/29/09 04:08 AM
Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Hear Ye....screw you Champion wink

If you care to hear English spoken beautifully, converse with Collette...she'll call you a wanker, and you will feel honored smile

Originally Posted by Abstruse
Invisible hand of the market has spoken.

A concept I am trying to get my dive crew to understand!

When I come down to SP I always have a couple of "classics" such as Treasure Island, or Moby Dick on my E reader. In a house up north with no TV, it is an easy way to pass an evening reading out loud, and in turn having my friends read a chapter or 2, also out loud, to become more used to hearing themselves speak English.

I had noticed that when filling in the applications for Guide licenses, if I gave them a word, they would almost always spell it and write it correctly, yet seemed self conscious about speaking in anything other than Creole.

The better able anyone is to speak the language of those who are dispersing most of the currency, the more likelihood there is of getting a larger share of it!

Just the market speaking, and why many of us in the US should be learning Mandarin frown
Originally Posted by pugwash
If you care to hear English spoken beautifully, converse with Collette...she'll call you a wanker, and you will feel honored smile

Your sense of self-awareness is as keen as ever!!
LOL! Good point to follow the money, Pug... Mandarin it is!
Posted By: Cayemen Re: English speaking Radio on Ambergris Caye - 05/29/09 06:23 AM
crazy Do we need a Mandarin Radio Station for the Chinese Community? crazy
At least they have already there own Chinese Newspaper.

But for us Gringos and Belizeans:

Finding a market for English listeners with caribbean and pop music will be easy.

All the advertising is already in English, but on a Spanish Radio Station.

I bet many Business owner like to place Ads on a English channel, otherwise he will do his ads in Spanish. cry
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board