AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Maybe I'm Stupid re: search

Posted By: GwenA

Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 10:01 PM

I always see when people on the post want information that seems boring to the posters....please do search. I thought I would do that to get a phone number for a business. Silly me, I got 1000 responses to get "phone number Lime Tours". I gave up. There was no phone number anywhere. What kind of search engine belongs to this site? I just don't have the time. And, of course since I liver here we have plenty of time. All of you jaded folks that tell people to check the search...be careful, you might just be turning people off. And, I bet some nice board member will post the number right after I post this.
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 10:03 PM

But of course! 501-226-4152
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 10:05 PM

Have to make you work for it a little bit: http://limetours.com/
Posted By: elbert

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 10:06 PM

Amen GwenA
Rough search engine on ACMB and telling people to 'Go Search' seems rude.
Posted By: elbert

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 10:09 PM

PS unless they ask something about mosquitoes :-)
Or if it rains a lot in the rainy season :-(
or 'Do you guys have sunsets down there' :-(((
Posted By: Belizeandme

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 10:17 PM

I agree about the search engine being incredibly challenging and in fact not very helpful, but after seeing so many posts to 'go check' it, I thought maybe it was just me!! Not to completely go on a rant, but when I type in something to search and click on one of the responses, when I click on the 'back' button to look at more of the listings, all I get is that the "web page has expired", and I have to start the search all over again. Really not too useful, not to mention it's slow. Thanks, GwenA for letting me get that off my chest! ;-)

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 10:30 PM

And if I may....

If someone posts a question that certain persons find so "incredibly stupid", why, then, do they feel so compelled to respond? The way I see it, by letting it go and allowing someone else (perhaps in a better frame of mind) to post a response just might help the original poster feel more welcome smile
Posted By: kdskis2

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 10:44 PM

Thank you! I have had some difficulties searching for things here. That is why I ask/post.I have typed items into google which has taken me to the message board, however. No question is stupid in my mind and I like hearing all of your thoughts on things about the island( be it food, diving, excursions, what have you!)as well. AND....I like reading all the messages whether they pertain to our trip or not.
Posted By: Cybercayecaulker.com

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 10:52 PM

I just groan and move on to the next question when I read something that has been answered 1000 times, unless I feel like taking the time to answer it AGAIN. Regarding phone numbers, you can look a lot of them up on the btl.net website, however if it is a prepaid cell number, or the phone is in a person's name, you will have a hard time getting the info. FYI BTL had me listed wrong in their book and on the website for 3 years.
Posted By: deadserious

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 10:56 PM

Apparently Cybercayecaulker.com deleted my very informative post answering in the affirmative to the subject at hand.

In short, if you don't see how your request is different than the situations which are directed toward search.... (remaining rant redacted so as not to get deleted again).
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 10:59 PM

Remember how your mother used to tell you "If you can't say something nice (pleasantly) say nothing"...

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 11:11 PM

I never was very good with that.

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 11:17 PM

Time now to learn...

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 11:24 PM

Well, maybe I'm stupid but...

I don't see how thinking that asking for a phone number for a business is anything like asking what people think about Blue Lotus three threads above a multipage discussion about Blue Lotus. And even if it were, how anyone would ask someone to search for an answer if they stated they already tried unsuccessfully to search for an answer.

You are right, I don't have much tolerance for silliness.

(and I actually do have a tolerance for silliness, but I didn't want an overreaching moderator to delete me for stating the word I really wanted to use).

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 11:25 PM

You need to CHILL!!!

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 11:27 PM

maybe I'm just overdue for a Belize vacation.

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 11:33 PM

Good idea!
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 11:36 PM

Yeah, good idea Jesse ! DS, the first Jose is one Jesse baby grin

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/10/09 11:39 PM

No comprende gringo...
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/11/09 12:18 AM

Hey, I know Jose!

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/11/09 12:22 AM

That Jose isn't allowed at my house!
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/11/09 12:28 AM

Probably a smart plan, I happened to run into him last night at my friend's house and .......

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/11/09 12:44 AM

Yeah..we parted company many years ago...
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/11/09 05:14 AM

Does it rain a lot in the rainy season? grin grin

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/11/09 05:39 AM

OK - you guys are seriously off topic! Where's the penalty flag?

Posted By: carbunkletrumpet

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/11/09 06:10 AM

Sorry Snoopys Mom (it was Jessie's fault) whistle

GwenA - there are never any stupid questions just stupid people giving stupid answers. (feel free to write that one down if you like) wink

And do they have sunsets in Belize? grin

or my favorite - Hey Bad Peter what is this bell for? laugh

Posted By: GwenA

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/11/09 04:20 PM

Tanx All. I'm glad it isn't just me. And, I agree with SnoopysMom. Not nice to be grouchy or rude to (prospective) visitors. I thought I would use "search" originally to avoid rudeness to me.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/11/09 04:44 PM

Hmmmmm ...... I have been asked when Easter is in Belize.
Does that qualify as just little bit stupid?

(offered with a smile not a sneer)
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/11/09 05:31 PM

smile that's a cute one....
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/11/09 05:51 PM

Is the island surrounded by water?
Posted By: Moose In Belize

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/11/09 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
Is the island surrounded by water?

Of course it is, but which side of the island does the sun come up on? grin

My favourite crazy question of 2009, which drew lots of response, was:

"well im moving down from connecticut and i wanted to know if theres people around my age who i can make friends with. this may be a silly post but i just had to ask. thanks in advance!"

Posted By: Consuelo

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/11/09 07:23 PM

I've noticed that myself that when one types in something to search - it is always l000 responses - frequently none of them have anything to do with the question or search criteria - not sure why that is - it seems a more precise search engine would help

Cheers everyone

Connie in Kelowna

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/11/09 07:51 PM

I feel like I am stating the obvious, but you need to place the phrase you are searching for in " " or this search engine finds every place that each of the individual words appears. Search "Lime Tours" and you find 3 posts, including this one. One post gives an email address [email protected] A little imagination will suggest that you might try www.limetours.com and voila, all the information you want. A google search with or without " " leads you to the same result.
Posted By: Belizeandme

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/12/09 10:28 PM

I've done plenty of searches using " " and still gotten 1000 results. So that's not always the solution. It also doesn't do anything to solve the problem of hitting the back button and getting 'webpage has expired' and having to start the search all over again. It doesn't do anything about the slowness of the search engine. And it still does nothing to show the willingness of others on the board to 'help' existing or potential visitors, etc. Folks have differing levels of expertise on computer use, and that doesn't make them any more or any less intelligent than anyone else. I find that thought the most regretful of all, that any of us would feel it was okay to even think, much less say that someone is asking a stupid question. Thought we all learned that wasn't the case way back in 1st grade if not earlier.

So as SnoppysMom appropriately stated - If someone posts a question that certain persons find so "incredibly stupid", why, then, do they feel so compelled to respond? The way I see it, by letting it go and allowing someone else (perhaps in a better frame of mind) to post a response just might help the original poster feel more welcome.
Posted By: kerry

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/13/09 07:07 AM

there are no stupid questions, if u don't know, then ask
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/13/09 01:57 PM

Is there anywhere on the island that sells t-shirts? confused

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/13/09 02:08 PM

SP Mart has XXXL but only in hot pink. crazy
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/13/09 06:55 PM

"Do you like living here?" Duh.....
Posted By: kerry

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/13/09 10:21 PM

ok guys funny...u know what i meant!!! loansum al, there are lots of people that don't like living there....can't understand why....would trade places in a heartbeat!!!!
Posted By: Danny2

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/13/09 10:46 PM

I thought the only stupid question was the one that was never asked. Just saying.

Re: Maybe I'm Stupid re: search - 07/13/09 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Danny2

I thought the only stupid question was the one that was never asked. Just saying.

You wouldn't say that if you were in a "question business". grin
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board