AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Resturant/Bar Questions

Posted By: GApeach2009

Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/02/09 07:12 PM

Hi! We'll be coming to Ambergris Caye in a few days and I have a couple of questions. We really love Mexican food and seafood...what are your favorites? Any good pizza places? Have heard Fido's and Palapa bar are fun, what are some other recommendations...we like live music! Also, is La Playa lounge open now? Thanks for the info...can't wait to get there!!
Posted By: azbob

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/02/09 07:59 PM

Don't miss BC's for sunday afternoon music Jam and Crazy Canuck's also for Sunday Jam. The Tackle Box, Wet Willies. Maybe someone has a list of where live music is what nights? You can find every night a several bars in and around town.
Posted By: deadserious

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/02/09 09:29 PM

I heard that BC's sunday jam is not happening during the slow season.

Regarding Pizza...
Posted By: lil'red

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/02/09 09:55 PM

BC's Sunday jam is 2:30-6:30.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/02/09 10:17 PM

So it's not closed for the slow season??? Must have had bad information.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/02/09 10:36 PM

The only time in recent memory that I recall BC's being closed was the day after Hurricane Dean.
Posted By: swanno

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/02/09 10:50 PM

...and that was only because certain individuals (whose names will remain unknown but you know who they are) drunk the bar dry the night of Dean.
See you all at BCs tomorrow
Posted By: klcman

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/02/09 10:53 PM

Where you became confused, DS, is when told you that Charlene has stopped Sunday BBQ during slow season.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/02/09 11:53 PM

Oh, so there is no BBQ, but the Jam is still going on?

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 12:55 AM

Deadserious...the pizza link came up with nothing...tell me what you know instead!!! Thanks!!!

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 01:35 AM

An admin is altering the link in order to make it not work.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by GApeach2009
Deadserious...the pizza link came up with nothing...tell me what you know instead!!! Thanks!!!

It really is a shame that the moderators on this board would rather play games and frustrate new members than permit a perfectly good answer to a perfectly good question.

Marty should be ashamed of whomever is doing this.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 01:52 AM

DS should take a break

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 01:55 AM

It's a full time job correcting the content the mods insist on corrupting.
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 01:57 AM

Playa has just re-opened under new management. Should check it out - I think they are doing some live music as well....

We love the food a Caleinte (sp?) it's really good Mexican cuisine. And Wild Mango's is top of the list for seafood. Monday's are Music Jam night at Reef Village, which is almost always a fun, great crowd with many locals and visiting guest musicians. Fido's has a great new band - they usually start up around 8 or 9 pm (Friday is a good night). Not sure where you are staying, but if you are craving BBQ go to the Lazy Croc on Sat or Sundays. Ak'bol is also a great for breakfast and you can do yoga on the beach every day at 9AM (love them!).

Hope this helps and have a great time!

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 02:03 AM

DS, who made you the "content moderator"

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 02:04 AM

I post content that I create. Someone edits that content without my permission. I certainly have the right to correct content that I create.

The correct question is who gave the moderators of this forum the right to put words in my mouth or edit things that I write to make them incorrect?

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 02:08 AM

AW, geeze. Are you that consumed with your self ?
Posted By: beachbumin

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 02:09 AM

Stay strong DS. Tough job but someone has to be the voice of reason, even if it offends some.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ernie B
AW, geeze. Are you that consumed with your self ?

I am consumed with doing the right thing.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 02:11 AM

That makes no sence, are you jhill ?

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 02:12 AM

tee hee !

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ernie B
That makes no sence, are you jhill ?

No, but with spelling like that, you must be Pug.
Posted By: wasntme

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 02:15 AM

I give the moderators a lot of credit. How do they keep up when DS posts 20 times a day to every single thread?
Posted By: iluvbelize

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 02:16 AM

laugh

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 02:28 AM

Just needed some info...didn't mean to start chaos!! Thanks for the info...any more help would be appreciated!

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 02:41 AM

I hate to do it, but if the moderators are becoming like the US gov't (Oh Lord protect me from myself!) Dear god don't get me started on the Obama school lecture next week TRULY CREEPY!

But I digress..... you might try a new forum that may be more truthful (painfully so) than this one.

I give you 5 minutes before this post gets deleted... tick tick tick

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 02:58 AM

Who's in the new band at Fido's?
Posted By: ExOkie

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by SnoopysMom
I hate to do it, but if the moderators are becoming like the US gov't (Oh Lord protect me from myself!) Dear god don't get me started on the Obama school lecture next week TRULY CREEPY!

But I digress..... you might try a new forum that may be more truthful (painfully so) than this one.

I give you 5 minutes before this post gets deleted... tick tick tick
This really belongs in the Us Chat section but I just have to reply. What's the difference between Obama addressing school children and GWB and your god Ronnie Reagan doing the same thing? Were you outraged then?
Posted By: seashell

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 07:17 AM

LOL, Simon, why don't you just go over, order me a drink and find out who is playing at Fidos? Please report back.

DS, take a chill pill, man. It's not like I don't understand your attitude towards some of the "moderation" that has occurred on this board, but you, my friend, do appear to be "over board". Maybe you need to order a pizza and start your own message board, where you can be the moderator?
Posted By: papashine

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 09:34 PM

Ok then what happened to page 4?

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 09:50 PM

I deleted my own post - decided not to bother.....
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/03/09 11:03 PM

smile smile smile

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 01:31 AM

Yummy...that pizza sounds great!! Also..I really like your blog, Tacogirl!!! Thanks for the info! We're going to A/C tomorrow, so I will be eatin' and drinkin' and relaxin' in just a few hours!!!!
Posted By: Ambergris Bob

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 03:43 AM

I love this board. We're arriving 9/19 and as always you guys just SO get me in the mood.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 09:23 AM

Fercryingoutloud . . .pizza in San Pedro? You tourists are crazy. You can get a pizza at home. If you are in BZ for vacation, why not enjoy the local cuisine?

DS . . take a chill pill. Do you think you are the only one that has ever been edited (in my 11-12 years here)?

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 11:49 AM

Dear seashell...I AM eating local cuisine...I didn't ask where the McDonald's or Domino's was! Pizza is great all over the world...I have been to over 50 countries and travel as a profession, so I am a little insulted...some of the best, most memorable meals of my life have been pizza in Prague and pizza in Uruguay, so there!!! I also asked for seafood and Mexican restaurants, which I assume would be produce locally, too, but no one gave me any insight on those types of cuisine! Travel is about the food and the experience of being with locals...I ate a cobra in Indonesia...just wanted some local advice! My husband is from the Caribbean and I happen to cook his local cuisine quite well! I just like pizza! Thank you!!
Posted By: bywarren

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 01:39 PM

So, if I am eating a pizza cooked in Belize by a Belizean made from local flour, local vegatables, local sea food or pepperoni made from local meat made at the sausage factory, then I am not eating local food?
confused

Or if I don't call it pizza and just say it is a flour tortilla with those toppings, then am I OK? grin

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 02:57 PM

laugh laugh laugh

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 03:00 PM

Not to worry. SS still thinks the world is round.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 03:02 PM

like a pizzashell? (perhaps time for a new name wink )
Posted By: 2Aggies

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 04:57 PM

Exactly what I was thinking Warren! We eat Lobster, Snapper, Shrimp, and many other fine flavors of the sea here in TX. (and yes we get most of it fresh right off the boat while staying at our place on the coast) Does that mean we should forgo any of that in SP? Besides that, we just got back the 16th and I understand the food police were all fired. laugh

Oh & that wonderful chicken!!! I am now on experiment #10 or so trying to perfect jerked chicken. I think it is a matter of location, view and the people that I will never get in the recipe. Guess we have to keep coming down twice a year.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 07:32 PM

GA Peach - also look for the "hot tamale" guy who rides the beach selling his tamales from his bike. They're great!
Tons of great restaurants - almost all serve seafood. Try Sunset Grill, Carambas, Blue Water Grill, Lily's Treasure chest, El Divino, Hidden Treasure. Too many to list.

Also about Fido's - good duo several nights a week called Brandi & Tull. Talented guitarists and Brandi has a phenominal voice.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 08:00 PM

I think Conch pizza at Rojo might qualify as local food.

Meanwhile, am thoroughly enjoying the dukunu from the tamale man who calls on the construction crew - yum.

El Fogon and Elvi's hit the tops of many lists for superb local foods.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 10:55 PM

No sense in being insulted GApeach. I gather pizza is one of your favorite foods world-wide. So? How was that cobra pizza?
Posted By: jO3Design

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by SimonB
Who's in the new band at Fido's?

Toll or Tall, nice fella/singer on guitar, Brandy on vocals and acoustic guitar, Casper (leaving Sunday for a bit) on Bass, and Delito (hospitalized currently) on drums.

As for recommendations for restaurants, this is a list of my five favorites (as far as I know, Mango's is the only one closing for slow season, starting Sept 12):

Blue Lotus
(Open Daily upon RSVP) Lunch/Dinner
ph.610-BLUE (2583)
This is my favorite restaurant on the island, and the food is amazing. The chefs and tandoor ovens are imported directly from India, so the cuisine is as authentic as you can get without being in India. Prices are expensive, but the water-top setting is romantic. Average price per person for a full dinner meal is $50-75USD. Arrive for dinner at around 5:30PM, and enjoy a nice Cool Lotus while watching the sunset as the chef prepares your meal. I really enjoy the Rogan Josh (lamb) and Garlic Naan with Hummus. To get there, the dock is located at the end of the main futbol field on Buccaneer street, the most western point of the island.

Red Ginger
(Wed-Mon) Open for Lunch/Dinner
ph.226-4623
It's a fusion of Caribbean and fine dining. Price is expensive (for Belize), but reasonably comparable to an average night out in the states. A full dinner meal is going to run anywhere between $40-$60USD/person. The owner of the restaurant also owns Wine DeVine, so they have an excellent wine selection. The restaurant is located at The Phoenix, directly across from the Police Station and Fire Department on the island. Parking is in the front, located at the end of Front Street, past Belize Bank. My choice is usually the Tasting Menu, which for $45USD, you will receive a five-course meal of your choice from the pre-set selections on the menu. My favorite drink is the Amigo Freeze, which is pretty much a Pina Colada, but with orange juice added.

El Fogon
(Mon-Sat) Lunch
ph.206-2121
A small hole in the wall, located one street west of Tropic Air, this is the most authentic and best Belizean food I have found in the country of Belize, for half the price of other popular Belizean restaurants (Elvi's, George's Kitchen, Caramba). The menu changes every day, so I would recommend talking to them at the beginning of your trip to see what days you would like to come for lunch. My favorite is the Conch Frittters and Conch Soup, which I believe are available on Wed/Thurs. Price is very reasonable, and for $10-15USD/person, you will definitely boast about finding such a gem of a restaurant. You'll literally be sitting on wooden benches over a dirt floor under trees, and the place is a bit hard to find, but definitely worth it.

Lime Bar & Grill
(Daily) Breakfast/Lunch (Dinner on occasion)
ph.226-4152
Tuesday nights at Lime is Fish & Chips night. Owned by English partners, they boast the best Fish n Chips, and I would have to agree. Price is mediocre, but this is a great place to meet some awesome people. It's not a full restaurant, so seating is limited to the bar area, but is the only place on the island to find an English breakfast. Located across the street from Tropic Air on the Eastern side, the building is a bright green which cannot be missed. My favorite for Lime? Definitely the chili cheese fries smile

Hope this helps!
Posted By: Niklauryn

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 11:07 PM

We are staying at Costa Maya Reef from Sept 19 - Sept 26...does the tamale guy or anyone else sell by there? We are without an oven so we are looking for someone who is selling food that far north
Posted By: azbob

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 11:36 PM

We love the tamales from the "tamale guy". You can hear his voice 1/4 mile away! Great food!!!!
For those who don't know, just look for the guy rideing a bicycle with a cooler strapped on it!

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/04/09 11:52 PM

Where does he sell them...does he go to North AC by Costa Maya Reef Resort?
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/05/09 12:04 AM

No..not that far.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/05/09 01:26 AM

Does anyone come that far or can we meet him somewhere so we can purchase some food...we are a little worried about having a stove top, being really far away from any restaurants and not being able to grill or cook.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/05/09 03:35 AM

Kind of something you might have wanted to consider before you picked a resort so far away from town? Make sure you hit Lazy Crocs BBQ on the weekend. North side and awesome.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/05/09 03:37 AM

Simon can deliver what you need also

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/05/09 01:56 PM

Didn't pick this resort. We were part of the first group that lost our resort with II ...we have tried to get to AC for the past three years...kinda like "take what we can get at this point" situation...Who is Simon? How can we contact him?

Will definately hit the Lazy Crocs BBQ..thanks for the info..

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/05/09 03:41 PM

Niklauryn - no worries - when you stay at Costa Maya you are not far from restaurants.
Costa Maya has a full restaurant and bar with very nice food. Also you can walk to Portofino or Legacy easily - both have good kitchens and great food.

Simon is owner/operator of Lagniappe Provisioning. Contact him by PM from this board and he'll be of help as well.
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/05/09 04:19 PM

I thought legacy has closed down ???

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/05/09 11:05 PM

Legacy is closed thru November...that was the first II place we were suppose to stay at..
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/06/09 02:20 AM

i heard from someone who worked there closed for good ..sold lots of the beds .and other things ???? bet she is right sad to say ...

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/06/09 02:23 AM

I doubt if it will be closed for good, too nice of a property to stay closed for long.
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/06/09 02:44 AM

Belize Legacy was sold as condos, right? Be a mess to close it down.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/06/09 02:23 PM

I was told that is was a decision made by the developer, management and the owners. After all in a co-operative situation the profits and liabilities are borne by the shareholders. Probably cheaper to keep the place closed and run a skeleton crew - than be open and have only a few guests.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/06/09 02:25 PM

Technically you can only have "condominium titles" in areas that are in the declared reregistration areas - and Legacy isn't within the declared area yet.

The government will slowly switch all titles in the country to the new registration system - it is happening slowly but surely.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/09/09 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by jO3Design

As for recommendations for restaurants, this is a list of my five favorites (as far as I know, Mango's is the only one closing for slow season, starting Sept 12):

Blue Lotus

Blue Lotus is apparently closed until November 1st.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/09/09 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by seashell
DS . . take a chill pill. Do you think you are the only one that has ever been edited (in my 11-12 years here)?

Personally, I don't appreciate someone decreasing the accuracy of my words. I will always speak out against defamation of my personal brand.
Posted By: lil'red

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/09/09 11:01 PM

The Blue Lotus is available by RESERVATION ONLY for parties of (6) SIX or more at anytime. Just call 610-2583. If you are less than 6 persons, they have 10 nights with parties already booked through the rest of this month and November and you may be able to get a reservation those nights if you are flexible.
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/09/09 11:41 PM

Getting back on topic try the street vendors in Central Park too!

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/09/09 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by carbunkletrumpet
Getting back on topic try the street vendors in Central Park too!

yum!

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/10/09 12:03 AM

Is Central Park far from Costa Maya...

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/10/09 12:12 AM

Nevermind...just saw a map...it is about 6 miles away...really want to try vendor food, just don't want to travel back and forth to town too much
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet

Niklauryn here is a map that I pulled up and yes it is.

//ambergriscaye.com/maps/art/Map-large.jpg

And contrary to what others think, it is pretty inexpensive and pretty good too!

Originally Posted by Niklauryn
Is Central Park far from Costa Maya...

Central Park is at the center of downtown on the reef beach side. Costa Maya is way up north, so it would require a water taxi to get into town.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/10/09 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Niklauryn
Nevermind...just saw a map...it is about 6 miles away...really want to try vendor food, just don't want to travel back and forth to town too much

Sounds like you might want to reconsider where you are staying. There are many nice places in town and would allow you to get more of a local experience.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/10/09 12:56 AM

you may not think you want to travel back & forth to town ....but you will once you get there. Just add the price of the island ferry into your "free" timeshare.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/10/09 01:32 AM

We paid to go to Belize...timeshare was not free. Will purchase the weekly pass. thanks for the info

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/10/09 01:47 AM

Carbunkletrumpet...great map..thanks so much...

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/11/09 04:55 PM

Just back from Ambergris Caye last night! Had an amazing time and can't wait to go back! Thanks for all your information. Had an awesome pizza at Pepperoni's, and wonderful seafood at Celi's, the Tackle Box, great Mexican at Caliente's, and lots of other tasty meals. We had tamales from the tamale guy and they were good too! I didn't eat a cobra pizza in Indonesia...it was Cobra Sate, with peanut suace and it was kinda chewy! Thanks again for the info!!
Posted By: PalapaPappa

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/11/09 05:11 PM

The Palapa Bar will be open, we have fresh seafood,Slow smoked pulled pork, hummongus cheeseburgers and you can swim in our innertubes and get your drinks by the bucket.

Go to palapabarandgrill.com and open the photo gallery for more.

Hope to see ya there
Scott
Posted By: LoveH20

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/11/09 07:02 PM

Last year I had a fish taco at the Palapa Bar and it was deeeelicious! Can't wait to get back there...but too early to start counting sleeps:(

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/12/09 02:27 AM

Will definately get to Palapa Bar

...Is Rasta Pasta still open on CC...I ordered the spices by mail today, but was not sure if it is still open..Mari

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/13/09 12:38 AM

Rasta Pasta is long gone. Very.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/13/09 12:42 AM

Spices are still supplied by Marilyn from Portland ,Oregon.

Re: Resturant/Bar Questions - 09/13/09 01:23 AM

ordered spices today..thanks for all your help...just looking for a place that has good food and is open on CC next week...
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board