AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Heads up for Vehicle Owners.

Posted By: Phil

Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/29/09 06:53 PM

If you have the old number plates starting BZ rather than SP from 1st October you will be issued a ticket for not swapping over.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/29/09 06:58 PM

What about all the vehicles with no plates at all? Exempt?
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/29/09 07:21 PM

BTW - if you can't get your old plate off due to it being rusted in place, the guys at Polos can grind it loose for you.

Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/29/09 11:12 PM

Diane, I have plastic plates that Gecko Graphics made for me to avoid the rusting situation. If I go to them and have them make new plates with SP instead of BZ I can't get a ticket, right.
Posted By: champion

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/29/09 11:39 PM

Thats cheating!

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/29/09 11:50 PM

champ, now one would EVER no the difference, right?
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/29/09 11:54 PM

They can write a ticket but until there is an SI stating the mandatory change of plate I believe you can probably appeal in court and will not be required to pay for the ticket.

The town council needs to follow a legal procedure to bring this change into effect - and a notice on the tv and radio is not sufficient.

I guess I'll be testing this out pretty soon.

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/29/09 11:56 PM

I know you are kidding, huh!
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/30/09 12:27 AM

I've heard of people being prosecuted for having non-rusting plates that they had made themselves. I suppose the logic is that if they allow people to make their own plates there's no control over the number that appears on them.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/30/09 12:29 AM

I had plastic plates and when I was stopped I was told they were illegal and I would be fined if they weren't replaced with transport issued ones. I put on the metal plates I got from transport and they rusted out. I was then stopped by transport and told I needed to replace the rusty ones with new ones or I would be fined. Can't win.
Posted By: natalie p

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/30/09 03:47 AM

It is true, plastic ones are not permitted.
A previous transport officer once told me that's how they make some money, replacing the rusty ones.
Posted By: JZB

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/30/09 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by LOANSUM - AL K.
Diane, I have plastic plates that Gecko Graphics made for me to avoid the rusting situation. If I go to them and have them make new plates with SP instead of BZ I can't get a ticket, right.

You are also issued a completely new number. It is not just the BZ that changes.

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/30/09 05:13 PM

Ah, I broke down and got the plates. Can't be bothered to spend hours in court fighting it.

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/30/09 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by JZB
Originally Posted by LOANSUM - AL K.

You are also issued a completely new number. It is not just the BZ that changes.

Oh well, good idean gone bad.......how much are the new plates?

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/30/09 06:09 PM

How about getting a transparent sealer and coating the new plates b4 you install them.

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/30/09 06:28 PM

Probably illegal to coat them laugh
Just thought of something even better......laminate them like they do the drivers licenses!
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/30/09 07:13 PM

My new ones - issued by the Transport Dept. - are plastic.

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/30/09 07:35 PM

Harriette, that's good.......see ya next month!

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/30/09 08:23 PM

Apparently they are now sanctioned by the town council as long as you get them via the transport department which gets them through a contract with Giovanni's Plastic Signs.

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/30/09 09:11 PM

Sounds like something you have to order when you go in for your new plates. Wonder how long it takes for them to get them to you.

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 09/30/09 09:47 PM

when you go in you take your 2 old plates, your registration, your insurance and $15 and you walk out with the plates which will be a new and different number than you had before. takes a few minutes - although you may have to go back later if the "signer guy" isn't in office.
Posted By: Phil

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/01/09 03:52 PM

Wow Giovannis got the contract for these? Did it go out to tender? Did anyone check to see if there was a better product than sticky vinyl numbers on sheet metal that won't last? Did the business whose original idea it was get a sniff?

Don't be silly it's San Pedro. laughing smiley face here.

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/01/09 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Phil
a better product than sticky vinyl numbers on sheet metal

The plates that I got (for BZ$15) were made of plastic.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/01/09 04:26 PM

Lucky you.

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/01/09 04:28 PM

Well, the transportation department is out of plates....

Guess they'll be a lot of tickets being written!!! gee whiz what a kersnufle.

I didn't look at my new plates properly to see what they are made of - will check them out. But they certainly don't appear to be superior to the plastic ones I had made at Gecko Graphics.

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/01/09 04:36 PM

During a previous shortage of new plates the transport people just issued a new registration certificate and told each customer to carry that with them..and no plates on vehicle until more plates were supplied.
Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/01/09 08:18 PM

The Traffic Bunch did the same thing in July. They threatened everyone with hate and discontent if they did not buy thier new plates by such and such a day and then promptly ran out of plates.

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/01/09 08:24 PM

Maybe Giovanni can't keep up...

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/01/09 08:26 PM

I am still puzzling through the fact that the plates, the paperwork and manpower must add up to more than $15 Bz per vehicle.

To make matters worse, we have re-registered our vehicles numerous times in the past few years and I still don't think there is an accurate accounting for the number of vehicles operating on the caye.

Hey if it was that efficient we would probably all move!

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/01/09 08:28 PM

The logical thing to do is issue the new plates upon registration renewal.

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/01/09 08:29 PM

Oh no!!! Now we're gonna use logic....
seriously, this is a turf war between the old National Transport Department and our new island transport "owned" by the Town Council. the new guys want to establish their position as controllers of all transport activity on this island and the new SP plates are a starter.

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/01/09 09:19 PM

Well then we are gonna end up with 2 plates next.

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/01/09 09:22 PM

No, National Transport is OUT! The Town Council has assumed authority over all transport department activity.
Posted By: COZMO

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/12/09 02:56 PM

A year ago, Transport stopped me, told me to go get NEW Plastic Plates made up... No, you cannot win....
To get NEW SP Plates you need your ORIGINAL Permit or do a declaration explaining why you do not have the original permit, have it notarized, 1.50 Stamps and at least a copy of the permit, take your old plates into traffic with the paperwork... If you do the change with a declaration, the cost is $30.00 BZ, with Original Permit... $15.00 BZ for the New Plates

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/21/09 05:46 PM

Does the Traffic Dept. have more plates yet?

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/21/09 05:58 PM

They did last time I checked.

Re: Heads up for Vehicle Owners. - 10/21/09 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by jesse
No, National Transport is OUT! The Town Council has assumed authority over all transport department activity.

I don't think that the change was only for San Pedro Town, but rather all towns countrywide.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board