AmbergrisCaye.com Home

German Sheppard

Posted By: LaraTravelBelize

German Sheppard - 12/12/09 11:53 PM

There is a german sheppard hanging around down south. is anyone missing one? please call 626-6779 or 206-2179 if you are.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: German Sheppard - 12/13/09 01:48 AM

What kind of age. Julie at Caye Casa has a youngster that may have roamed off. I know quite a few owners with older Alsatians.

Posted By: Uncle Buck

Re: German Sheppard - 12/13/09 03:48 AM

The owners of My Secret Deli have a nice 12-18 month old male German Shepard. Could be theirs, I'd check with them too.
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: German Sheppard - 12/13/09 09:09 PM

I hope this doesn't offend anyone. I always find the best way to remember the correct spelling of a word is to remember its origins. The German Shepherd, known in Britain and a number of other countries as the Alsatian, was developed in the nascent country of Germany for herding sheep. So it was a sheep-herd, later contracted to a shepherd. "Alsatian" because it is found very much in the sheep-farming hills and mountains of Alsace.

Sadly many of the German Shepherds to be found in Belize suffer with genetic flaws that impair their health, mobility and lifespan.
Posted By: captjeff

Re: German Sheppard - 12/14/09 04:08 PM

Peter not to to bust your bubble ,you have way to much time on your hands .Do you know the Origin of the word BORING ??? THATS BORING, BORING ,BORING .Not to pick a fight on this post your a nice guy .but your last post on this was BORING ,BORING ,BORING ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ..I JUST WOKE UP ..WHERE DO YOU THINK OF THESE THINGS?? Was not the post on a lost dog??? LOL LOL LOL LOL.
Posted By: NYgal

Re: German Sheppard - 12/14/09 04:38 PM

WOW
Posted By: JZB

Re: German Sheppard - 12/14/09 05:38 PM

CJ is only saying what we were all thinking. grin

Re: German Sheppard - 12/14/09 07:43 PM

I'm sorry if correct spelling is such a matter to mock at.

Re: German Sheppard - 12/14/09 08:55 PM

Peter not to pick on you ,but if you think the world revoles on spelling ,and not to mock it ?? I do kind of
feel sorry for your life?? Different strokes for different folks... I think you need three weeks in pattya thailand with $20,000 us to spend on new friends and have lots fun and live the dream .trust me you will forget how to spell .. LOL LOL LOL .
Posted By: Bing Crosby

Re: German Sheppard - 12/14/09 09:02 PM

Well Peter, I personally found your story of word origins far more interesting than some of the other posts I have read on this site. i.e. where can a person buy Q-Tips on the island.
Posted By: julie babcock

Re: German Sheppard - 12/14/09 09:11 PM

Thanks Lara and Amanda, mine is still in my yard; but, the Alfaros have two from the same litter (7 months old and growing) and another one lives by the bridge. I'll check with them.

Re: German Sheppard - 12/14/09 09:30 PM

Jeff, of course the world doesn't revolve around spelling, but it is a (perhaps) small part of the whole tapestry of life. When everything is reduced to the lowest possible common denominator we all lose so much. The English language is very rich in words from all sorts of origins, and it's all part of our inheritance. I sometimes have the impression that language and spelling are no longer taught in schools, and that really robs our kids.

Re: German Sheppard - 12/15/09 03:49 PM

Peter love yaaaaaaaaaaaa.But
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.Enjoy your day ??????????????Guys do you think he gets it [ THINK NOT]
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: German Sheppard - 12/15/09 04:17 PM

But what became of the German Sheppard..or Shepherd. Whatever...
Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: German Sheppard - 12/15/09 04:22 PM

Now that's a highjacking
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: German Sheppard - 12/15/09 04:35 PM

Lowjack...

Re: German Sheppard - 12/15/09 05:31 PM

Yes what happend to the dog,and who cares if the dog can spell ...lol.lol.

Re: German Sheppard - 12/15/09 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by captjeff
Peter love yaaaaaaaaaaaa.But
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.Enjoy your day ??????????????Guys do you think he gets it [ THINK NOT]

I am wondering who told you that your posts were so damn interesting?
Posted By: 2Aggies

Re: German Sheppard - 12/15/09 09:30 PM

Hey CaptJeff - Your post are so interesting!

There - now you know. lol

(Julie - glad it's not Reef. We'll be back in Mar. and we'll bring something for the little guy and some magazines for you.)

Re: German Sheppard - 12/16/09 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by 2Aggies

(Julie - glad it's not Reef. We'll be back in Mar. and we'll bring something for the little guy and some magazines for you.)

Well that's one, but then again you know what they say about Aggies!
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: German Sheppard - 12/16/09 11:19 PM

Thanks for trying to wake peter up with your VERY INTERESTING posts Jeff, If you hadn't posted so loud I think he would still be shepard(erd)ing away ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Bing, go back in your hole - your Dead - remember??
Otherwise start singing White Christmas or something. I miss that.

Did anyone find the dog's owner yet?

Re: German Sheppard - 12/17/09 06:10 PM

IIIIIIIIII'M DREAMING OF A WH--ITE CHRIST-MAS, BO BO BO BO WITH EVERY CHRISTMAS CARD I WRITE........ I agree you just can't get enough of that song!
Posted By: 2Aggies

Re: German Sheppard - 12/17/09 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bing Crosby

Yep sure do. I know what they say about dead people too.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: German Sheppard - 12/17/09 08:54 PM

What I find very interesting about Jeff's posts is that he didn't call Peter out on his incorrect spelling of snorkeling in another post earlier today. But that's the kind of guy Jeff is, live and let live.

Re: German Sheppard - 12/17/09 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bing Crosby

Yep sure do. I know what they say about dead people too.

Wow, what a witty come back! You are an Aggie.

Re: German Sheppard - 12/18/09 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by SimonB
What I find very interesting about Jeff's posts is that he didn't call Peter out on his incorrect spelling of snorkeling in another post earlier today. But that's the kind of guy Jeff is, live and let live.

I didn't want to comment on this until I'd had a chance to refer to my dictionary. The Oxford English Dictionary (as opposed to their American one) states that the correct (English) spelling is as I gave it, with the single "l" being an American option. And as Belize is strictly a British English speaking country, the English spelling is (again technically) the correct one to use.
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: German Sheppard - 12/18/09 03:03 AM

Thank you teacher! May I have another!
Posted By: SimonB

Re: German Sheppard - 12/18/09 02:17 PM

I stand corrected then, every source I checked gave the spelling with one L. Either way it's ludicrous to be checking and correcting everyone's spelling here, we'd be doing nothing but reading correction posts.

Re: German Sheppard - 12/18/09 04:43 PM

Agreed. I thought the one I picked on was interesting etymologically though, for the reasons I gave.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board