AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Where are all the tourists?

Posted By: Winston1984

Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 04:03 AM

Hello Everyone on Ambergris Caye,

I've just returned home after a month on your lovely island and have just come across this site and forum. Apart from a little rain and a couple of cooler days the weather was great for this time of year for us.

My question is: Where are all the people and How can businesses there cope with so few tourists? The only time it seemed to be remotely busy was on New Years Eve night. We were told that the tourists would be flocking to the island the day after Xmas, but from where we were, they must have all got lost. Are there any estimates as to how much lower tourist numbers are at the moment?

Thanks

Posted By: ExOkie

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 05:24 AM

I was there doing my part. I know I contributed to Sir Barry's fortune.
Posted By: rockfish

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 05:30 AM

I did my part, but I agree except for a few resorts most looked like ghost towns.
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 06:35 AM

Hi Winston, I do not live in Belize, but have traveled there frequently enough over the last 10 years to share your observations. As usual, I was there over Thanksgiving and this last November, it was the slowest I have ever seen. I mean dead slow. I talked to a lot of locals, bartenders, hotel people - they are concerned, to say the least. In PG, I saw a few tourists. In Placencia, I saw about 10 people on the beach (other than locals). I stayed at Coral Bay Villas in SP and there were only 2 occupied villas. Not to mention, the bars and restaurants were virtually empty of travelers that week.

You didn't mention if you have been there before, what your expectations were or other destinations you may be comparing to San Pedro.

Finally another traveler that took notice of the lack of visitors. Could it be the global economic recession, the high cost of airfare to get to Belize, etc.? Yes, definitely. But then again, I hate crowds and mass tourism destinations, so that is one of the reasons I return to Belize over and over again.

And over and over again, I return home with a big smile on my face and want to do nothing else but book my next trip! Its all good!
Posted By: ExOkie

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 07:09 AM

Laurie from what I heard from the locals was that yes when the economy took that hit last fall it did cut down on discretionary travel but the regulars still came.

I was surprised by how many people were there New Year's Eve and how they didn't look like the usual AC tourists. Much younger and mostly backpackers but still a lot of people. Jerry Jeff Week 1 was the 3rd - 10th and they only sold about 80 of 200 tickets but that was mostly because people didn't want to travel so soon after New Years (it was speculated). Even so on the 3rd Estel's had extra tables down to the waterfront and all of them full all morning. They were busy all week. Fido's was always full at night. We couldn't get into Mango's twice because the wait was an hour or more.

Just saying that when I was there (12/30-1/10) business was picking up. Like you I'm planning my next trip already!

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by LaurieMar

Finally another traveler that took notice of the lack of visitors. Could it be the global economic recession, the high cost of airfare to get to Belize, etc.? Yes, definitely. But then again, I hate crowds and mass tourism destinations, so that is one of the reasons I return to Belize over and over again.

Believe me I wouldn't mine if I was the only person on AC. Yes it is the economy and unfortunately I think things are going to get worse before they get better. I also think a lot of people that have condos and timeshares are not going to be able to use those properties soon. I worry most for the people of AC that work in these resorts. The best thing we can do to help is visit.
Mark
Posted By: JeanH

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 02:17 PM

I've been on the island for several weeks now, we walk the beach between here at Coral Bay and town at least once a day. I certainly don't know occupancy rates, other than right here, and we're full and have been most of the month, with only a day here and there with an open condo.

There are good numbers of people lounging at Ramon's when we walk by (and the sun is out). Lots of people at Corona del Mar and Crazy Canucks.

That said, we could have walked in and gotten a table at Wild Mangos last night, which hasn't been true very often.

Posted By: Big Mike

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 03:33 PM

Last year was real slow, but things seem to be shaping up for an improvement this season. I agree with ExOkkie, backpackers are back in a very big way on the island. Haven't seen this many hip young people in years.
Posted By: elbert

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 04:11 PM

I sent out 20 people snorkeling and diving this morning!
would have been more if we could dive outside the reef (the sea-state is rough)
That's a good day for us.
I'm just not feeling all this 'economy down' and 'tourist visitation low' stuff.
never have.
I'm not denying there a recession just not feeling it here.
Posted By: WildThing

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Winston1984

Are there any estimates as to how much lower tourist numbers are at the moment?

Can anyone with a business on AC answer this question?

I have been here for nearly 2 months now, and am aghast at how quiet it is. Realistically I cannot see how many places here can survive another season without tourists. The local hotel where I stayed at first told me that last year was bad, but they were hoping things would pick up this year! Yes, there ARE a few of us here, but I would say in not sufficient numbers to sustain a thriving tourist economy!! I walk the beach every day, and yes, always a few at Ramon's, a few at Crazy Canucks bar......I have seen all of 7 other people at Banyan Bay the 3 days I have spent round their pool!

Maybe there are some backpackers (not that I have really seen).....but are backpackers really the big spenders??????

And yes, it is wonderful for those of us here to enjoy this quiet solitude, and have pools and beaches to ourselves.......but what does that mean?? I suspect it means that all the amenities we enjoy here may not be continue to be here, and/or prices will continue to increase.

I had planned to stay here at least 6 months. I am now already thinking about whether to leave. AC is over-priced, the Belize government are strangle-holding the economic opportunity of their country. Everyone seems to be in ostrich syndrome! Why aren't businesses working more collaboratively together to offer more enticing deals to get tourists here? Why isn't the Belize government doing something about making travel to Belize more affordable?

Posted By: JZB

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 04:17 PM

I think overnight arrivals may be down a bit but not as bad as it looks. People are far more spread out around the island than in the past. I think people are coming with more of budget in mind and may be eating in at their condotel more often than hitting the town, which may also contribute to less people out and about.

Posted By: Bing Crosby

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 04:26 PM

I have to think one killer has been airfare, prices to Belize have about doubled in five years. You can fly to many other warm weather places for much less. (i.e. Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and even Panama)

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 04:36 PM

JZB - So maybe there are people here but they are not spending money!!! People on "a budget" eating in.........is this really the kind of tourism that AC needs????

I still think AC needs a HUGE reality injection! The world economy is in crisis.....everyone is on a budget! What is the Belize government doing to address this? What are businesses on AC doing to address this?

Bing - I agree! I didn't even fly into Belize. I flew into Cancun for $132. The new water taxi from Chetumal wasn't full (so how long is this new service going to run??) Especially as I hear Walmart are closing the Sam's Club!!.....Another indication of good times eh????

Anyway I may go back to Mexico.....beautiful beaches and cheaper!!!
Posted By: Sirenia

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 04:50 PM

I am traveling from Minneapolis in March and am still holding off on my airfare because the cheapest I have found has been 742.00. I believe my mom and I are going to have to do the Cancun Route, which robs us of another day in Belizian paradise. And also gives one less day to spend my money in Belize. You shouldn't have to sell a kidney for a vacation that is relatively close to the US. But I probably would if it came down to it because there is no place I would rather be. I would rather stay in my studio apartment, work my two jobs and come to AC on my "budget" than venture back to Mexico. It's the old "been there, done that" routine. I prefer my tequila in a frosty cocktail versus shot down my throat in a conga line. I am just sayin'.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by WildThing

Anyway I may go back to Mexico.....beautiful beaches and cheaper!!!

Every time I come back I find my self staying further and further North to get away from the sprawl, I'm about as far north as I can go without being in Mexico.
Mark
Posted By: james and rina

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 05:23 PM

what do you figure you save by going through Cancun?
Posted By: champion

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 05:23 PM

$200.00 but 2 extra days lost.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 05:32 PM

"Reality is only an illusion that occurs do to a lack of alcohol " champion

I think you will find that the word should be "DUE" and not "DO"
Posted By: Belize-N-Us

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 05:39 PM

We had no luck booking any of our top 3 accomodation choices in mid March.

In addition, we are having to come back a day early due to no available flights home on Sunday.

I'm guessing March will be "busy" on AC.

I completely disagree with WildThing about AC being "over-priced". I think AC offers a lot for one's money, more so than anywhere else I have been.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 06:03 PM

completely disagree with WildThing about AC being "over-priced". I think AC offers a lot for one's money, more so than anywhere else I have been.

It may not be completly "over-priced" but it is a long way from being the place where one gets the most for their money. Where else have you visited Belize-N-Us?
Posted By: reaper

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 06:12 PM

I'm bringing 130 people in February! Come on down!!!

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 06:16 PM

March is a high period. Besides summers it's the only time families really have a chance to vacation together.

Belize is on the high side. Just rented a house in March, outside Cabo for half what the same size house would cost me in AC.
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 06:16 PM

The prices in sanpedro are about state side prices for food ,in a nice place But if you eat stew chiken and rice and beans it is cheap food from the vendors .or Chinise places are also cheap food again fried chicken and fried rice .. Not me but good for some ..Now hotels are in line I think very good prices for a week stay at this time ..the fishing prices are $200 for half a day more than half off the state side prices ,A half day in the keys is $425 and up .Diving prices I have no idea.???.Again you must compare apples to apples .Overall I think a savy travler has some very good value here...

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 06:17 PM

Reaper, I believe you!
Shot in the arm for the local economy.
thanks!

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 07:15 PM

I caught my own dinner several times in October at the cut and off the pier and found it to be delicious and economical....lol... My only concern is I still look like a moron tossing my line in the water. Haven't quite got the direct-from-the-reel-toss down to a science. Thank goodness I had a rod and reel along smile Snapper and fried rice are awesome and pupusas can't be beat either. AC is just like it is everywhere, you just have to be creative, shop around and always bring your own peanut butter. A jar of Jiffy should be treated like currency.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 07:17 PM

I will concur that I have not witnessed March here yet, and do realise that the Easter break is the first real family vacation following Christmas.

I have found some good value in AC, and buying fresh chicken, shrimp and fresh produce, and cooking myself.....and this is terrific value!

This island is SOO beautiful (in most parts) and I just find it quite sad that it could lose it's unique paradise appeal if getting here, and truly spending time here, becomes too expensive for most (in the current economic climate).

I personally think that the government of Belize should be doing more. Everything seems to be taxed here! A legacy of British rule I suppose......and I say that being British ;-p

Adding to that...I commented about it being "over-priced" in relation to MY experiences. I am from the UK (another expensive place!) but have been traveling North America for the last 8 months. I found the US extremely competitively-priced, if not cheap, in most areas. I found Canada more like the UK...over-taxed on many commodities. Mexico, again proved extremely good value for money.

I guess the monopolies in some industries here do not foster competition, and this is NOT helping the Belizian economy. For example:

Airfares - the taxes at Belize Int Aiport means that US airlines are so costly to fly to Belize. I flew from Seattle to New York for $122 and then from Philadelphia to Cancun for $132. A flight to Belize from either destination was at least $700.

Internet - My 'reliable' BT 1 meg broadband in the UK cost me 20 per month. BTL = $330 [equates to approx 100]....5 x the UK equivalent!!!!! And it worked :-)

Beer - I bought my first bottle of Belikin, savoured it, and thought wow BZ$3 [1].....good value! That was until I realised there is more bottle than beer!! A crate at BZ$60 [20] works out at approx 5 pints. So that makes it around 4 a pint! Now that is not what I call value for money.

But I guess there is always a 'silver-lining'.......brown cane sugar is darn cheap, as is pot!!!
Posted By: krehfish

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 08:41 PM

I like that: "Belikin, where there's more bottle than beer"
Posted By: ed50

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 09:25 PM

when we flew down on Dec 20 and back on Dec 26, both planes were only 1/3 full- could stretch out and sleep.
Posted By: Belize-N-Us

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bing Crosby
completely disagree with WildThing about AC being "over-priced". I think AC offers a lot for one's money, more so than anywhere else I have been.

It may not be completly "over-priced" but it is a long way from being the place where one gets the most for their money. Where else have you visited Belize-N-Us?

Bing, I consider AC a "good value" for one's dollar, not "cheap". That value includes the fact that English is widely spoken, the diving is equal or better than anywhere in the world, the people are friendly hard working folks, US dollars are excepted everywhere, beaches are never crowded like here in the US, travel time for us is only around 6 hrs total time to get there from here........I could go on and on but I think you get my point.

In response to your question, I have traveled a fair amount but I certainly don't consider myself a "world traveler". I wish I were, but I must (or I choose) to work too much. I've traveled to more than enough beach and Caribbean locations to feel comfortable saying that AC is one of the best tropical places to visit or live in this hemisphere.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 10:29 PM

Belize-N-Us,
I certainly understand your point, and to some measure I concur. However that said, in comparison to some places the bang for the buck factor of Belize has dropped considerably the past 4 to 6 years. Lastly even though I do not believe it is any great bargain these days I still love the place and will be returning again next month but I can tell you the $700.00+ flight does not excite me.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 10:34 PM

Or anyone else for that matter.
Posted By: D.O.A.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by krehfish
I like that: "Belikin, where there's more bottle than beer"

They would definitely leave a mark if used as a weapon.....

On anything other than my liver laugh

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 11:33 PM

Wild Thing, Most of us that live here or travel here on a regular basis are doing all we can to keep San Pedro from becoming Mexico. If cheap is what you want, Cancun is it. They have nice beaches, cheap hotels, cheap flights and Starbucks, McDonalds, Wal Mart, Senor Frogs and all the suburban American idiots who like that kind of stuff. I hope SP never becomes " cheap."
Posted By: Freezer

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 11:42 PM

I live in Canada (in British Columbia) and our last flights were $1540.00 to Belize City. At that time this equated to around $1,485.00 US. It was extremely difficult to reconcile this when a seat sale from Edmonton Alberta to Cancun was $289.00 RETURN!

Also...I have heard from many different people that one of the reasons that the tickets too Mexico are so reasonable is that they are subsidized by the government. I have no idea if this is true or not but I have heard it from so many people (including an employee of the British Columbia board of tourism) that I am starting to believe it!

Anyone else hear of anything like that?

P.S. We are still comming to Ambergris Caye but I think we will start to look else where. The difference in ticket pricing could force a change.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/29/10 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Freezer
I live in Canada (in British Columbia) and our last flights were $1540.00 to Belize City. At that time this equated to around $1,485.00 US. It was extremely difficult to reconcile this when a seat sale from Edmonton Alberta to Cancun was $289.00 RETURN!

Also...I have heard from many different people that one of the reasons that the tickets too Mexico are so reasonable is that they are subsidized by the government. I have no idea if this is true or not but I have heard it from so many people (including an employee of the British Columbia board of tourism) that I am starting to believe it!

Anyone else hear of anything like that?

P.S. We are still comming to Ambergris Caye but I think we will start to look else where. The difference in ticket pricing could force a change.

Of course we will all start to look elsewhere unless you are software John. Its a recession depression out there.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mike
Wild Thing, Most of us that live here or travel here on a regular basis are doing all we can to keep San Pedro from becoming Mexico. If cheap is what you want, Cancun is it. They have nice beaches, cheap hotels, cheap flights and Starbucks, McDonalds, Wal Mart, Senor Frogs and all the suburban American idiots who like that kind of stuff. I hope SP never becomes " cheap."

Mike: I cannot see that SP will ever become Cancun. Belize is a third world country, many people still live in third world standards. In fact, many of the locals in AC still live in third world standards, albeit adjacent to luxurious resorts catering to "surburban American idiots" (many of which are owned by Americans). I came to AC because I wanted away from capitalism and American Imperialism.....only to find it has already reached here in many ways!! Okay so there is no Walmart or Domino's pizza........but Western cultural imperialism most definitely is.

Although it is not what I want - I think many local businesses and local traders pray for more "suburban American idiots" as these are the bread and butter of their livelihood.

I found Cancun obnoxious, far too commercialized, and would not have described it as "cheap".......but you can comparatively get value for money. But there are many other parts of Mexico that offer beautiful beaches, affordable accommodation and it IS "cheap" to get there compared to Belize.

As Freezer pointed out - if the Mexican government can subsidize airfares, why can't the Belize government? Why is the government also allowing more Americans here to run businesses, rather than trying to support local businesses?

Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 01:30 AM

Well Wildthang, I sure hope you find wut yer lookin for, the good old U S of A does not need you here or your type.

Try Iran.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 01:52 AM

Ernie:

This is Belize, not the "good old U S of A", and I do not think you have the authority to speak for Belize......but there again that IS what Americans are good for isn't it? Deciding what is best for other countries!!? YOUR type, (and that has nothing to do with Americans) but more an IMPERIALIST attitude, and jumping right in and making statements without reading information, are exactly what makes the world a sad and dangerous place these days! I am guessing you ARE American......and guess what I also think Americans who make statements such as "Try Iran" are what causes many people (even Americans) to be embarrassed about their patriotism.

If you ACTUALLY read the thread here properly, you would have realized that Big Mike quoted "surburban American idiots", and my inference was to question his categorization of Americans as "idiots".....hence the quote marks in my post.

Do you even know what cultural imperialism is?????

Sorry Ernie - but your response was a knee-jerk reaction to a couple of words without really reading what is being said, or questioned here!
Posted By: wasntme

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 02:44 AM

Wild Thing I do live here and I thank God for people like you who live here for 2 months and have it all figured out.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by WildThing
I will concur that I have not witnessed March here yet, and do realise that the Easter break is the first real family vacation following Christmas.

I have found some good value in AC, and buying fresh chicken, shrimp and fresh produce, and cooking myself.....and this is terrific value!

This island is SOO beautiful (in most parts) and I just find it quite sad that it could lose it's unique paradise appeal if getting here, and truly spending time here, becomes too expensive for most (in the current economic climate).

I personally think that the government of Belize should be doing more. Everything seems to be taxed here! A legacy of British rule I suppose......and I say that being British ;-p

I wish I had figured it all out.........

I commented that I "personally" think the government should be doing more to help Belize combat the 'recession depression'. As someone new to AC I am sharing my views and thoughts, and asking questions. I may only have been here a short while, but I too, have fallen for many of AC's great features and assets and enjoy 'island life'......otherwise I would not still be here.

One of the things I like most about AC is just how friendly everyone is, I have not been in a place where so many people smile all the time.

It is such a shame that some folks here take certain comments out of context, and resort to making petty negative statements, rather than engaging with a thread posed to interrogate serious questions about the impact of the global recession and governmental politics!!

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 03:15 AM

Wildthang. Who are you hiding from, posting behind some made up name, are yau a radical terroist, bomber ? Say who you are and what your agenda is>

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 03:25 AM

Wow, this thread has become interesting. What is a "suburban American idiot" anyway?

I think there are some good points made here by many people: travelers are more spread out on the island because of all the new places up north and there are definitely some restaurants/bars and hotels that enjoy good business consistently. Still, overall, tourism is way down compared to the years prior to the global economy taking a dive (many Belizean business owners, waiters, bartenders, etc. told me that in November). Talk to a travel agent and that is the story. The economy still sucks. Its going to take a lot more time for recovery. I feel so lucky that I am able to travel there in the first place....

Agreed. Airfare is ridiculous to Belize. I remember years ago, it was about $450 RT from No. California. Now, it is at least $700. I flew to Switzerland a few months ago for less than that.

I am one of those people that don't want to move to Belize because I enjoy my visits there so much, it wouldn't be the same. Plus, my bucket list of travel destinations is a long one, so I will keep my job in "suburban America" and see the world, returning to Belize as much as I can!

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 03:54 AM

LaurieMar:

Firstly, thank you for bringing some culture and civilization back to this thread! And, yes, it certainly is interesting!

I am not too sure myself how to define a "suburban American idiot" - I think it was Big Mike who introduced the term. I am not sure I understand the classification of "suburban" added to "American idiot". There again, I personally would not have chosen to be derogative about Americans anyway. I have just spent 8 months traveling in the States and I had a wonderful time and met loads of great Americans!

I agree, also, that many good and valid points have been made here. I joined this discussion as it was a question I had been asking myself. Especially as a number of people I have met here, have commented about the drop in numbers of tourists.....along with my own observations.

I posed questions and examples concerning the high prices of some commodities here, and the taxation, believing that these are very valid issues which affect why visitor numbers here have declined. The airfare, especially, is a significant one!

Maybe Ernie thinks I am some super terrorist/bomber because I keep talking about airplanes! I just really do not get how debating tourism leads to accusations about terrorism and taunts about Iran!!
Posted By: PalapaBob

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 03:55 AM

What is a "suburban American idiot" anyway?
I've been accused, but I thought they were kidding laugh
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 03:56 AM

Amen.............. LM............Amen!

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 04:04 AM

LaurieMar thanks for your comments about the original question that I actually asked, I was starting to think that this thread had died a death.

However, it has become a very interesting discussion to say the least. Albeit a little heated. I think Wildthings comments are being a little twisted here though by a certain member who seems to want to resort to playground antics and immature name-calling.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ernie B
Wildthang. Who are you hiding from, posting behind some made up name, are yau a radical terroist, bomber ? Say who you are and what your agenda is>

hehe..."posting behind some made up name".....isn't that is what about 60% of users here do??? wink

Who are you to make demands of me? What IS your agenda in being so aggressive?

Isn't this a discussion forum.....or am I mistaken?????
Posted By: ossumt

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 05:25 AM

You have to pay money for things no matter what part of the world you reside in.....I have moved to San Pedro for good from Las vegas NV ..... I don't find it expensive to stay in San Pedro..... Food is about the same as Vegas a little more but not bad ....If you want cheap cross the border to Guatemala .....You get what you pay for ....

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 05:38 AM

OK, Big Mike: give up the definition of "suburban American idiot". Inquiring minds want to know. I call it a myopic observation. Also, what in the world does Cancun have to do with any of this? There is great difference - Cancun is a trashy, T-shirt mecca of all inclusives and I thought it was outrageously expensive. Cancun brings up images of "Spring Break Gone Wild". But, the Mexican government/tourist board has it right. The people come because it is affordable. Maybe getting there is cheap, but that's not the point. Then again, I loved Isla Mujeres, Tulum, Xacaret, and Playa.

WT, I wouldn't give it a care..Your observations and opinions are yours and valid. People will disagree. Bottom line is enjoy the ride, live and learn. That's what its all about. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your time in the States. There is a lot to see and do here and given exceptions in every walk of life, the people are kind and generous. Happy trails!
Posted By: Canam

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 04:33 PM

I agree 100% with you WildThing. I lived there for a little over a year and thought the same thing. Though I love Belize and find it a very special place, I never really did drink the koolaid like some on this board. I will continue to come to visit friends when I feel like doing something a little different, but for now the few dollars I can spare for vacationing simply won't cut it in Belize. Besides being in Belize is like vacationing in Texas anyways, except with better weather.

I know I'll get hammered for that one....;)

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 05:03 PM

In planning my last and my up coming vacation I was not finding any "deals" in Belize. They would not even try to work with you. On my last visit to AC I needed a room for 4 nights in town, but the place I wanted to stay had a 5 night min. and said I would still have to pay for the 5th night. The only good deal I find in AC was a 2 for 1 at El Pescador. I recently booked in Mexico And got the "Swine Flu Discount" which was the low season rate in high season.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 05:57 PM

For the last few months of 2009 hotels were very willing to work with you and give discounts. And there were many discounts available during January 2010. For Feb - April, hotels are hoping business picks up for their last shot at a high season. So there are few deals right now, but there are some out there (like VH is running their summer 7th night free even during the winter, and several of the mainland hotels are running last minute specials.) Plus many hotels lowered their rates from 2008 rates (the last really good season) and still have those lower rates in effect. After April you can expect lower rates and deals to get more pronounced, as hotels vie for business. Still doesn't really address the high cost of everything once you get there.... but it helps get people there. And I'll bet there will be another airfare sale in a few months to spur some summer travel. The airlines are hurting as much as the rest of the industry with the recession/depression which is not nearly over (IMO). According to the latest industry journal, ticketing was down 17% for 2009, lowest it's been since 2004.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/30/10 08:40 PM

Boy, has this thread taken off. Kind of like the old days when none of us could get along talking politics. My point stands. If what you're looking for is cheap, go to Cancun, go to Orlando, go to Nassau. If you want something authentic, come to San Pedro, or Placencia, or the countless other small villages scattered throughout the Caribbean that don't subsidize flights and hotel rooms.

My statement about suburban idiots refers to people who would rather dine at Olive Garden instead of a real Italian place....would rather travel to Cancun and drink Starbucks and eat McDonalds because it's cheap. They find their way down here every now and then and always find something that would make San Pedro a better place. As the saying goes....don't try to change Belize, let Belize change you. Anyway, no disrespect meant. Cheers. I'm going fishin'.
Posted By: ed50

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/31/10 12:34 AM

What? Is there an olive Garden in AC now???!!!!

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/31/10 04:49 PM

Yes, I read that 2009 tracks as the "worst year" yet in the airline industry...a sobering thought! And no matter how people try and deny it, the world (with the US at the forefront) is in a major economic recession. A recession which I believe is yet to get worse before we really witness any improvement! Airlines are cutting routes across Europe, and airlines in the US are cutting internal fares in a bid to secure customers.

A family of 5 arrived on Friday at our complex, but walked past Ramon's (which they stated was empty!) and enquired about getting a reduced deal. Ramon's had more amenities to offer, and with a good deal they claim they would have moved there! Apparently, Ramon's refused to discount their standard rate!!

I do hear what is being said here about the time of year, but with the recession as bad as it is, I honestly feel that without some serious discounts to airfares into Belize and hotel accommodation.....2010 will be no better a year for tourism in AC!

Which is just such a shame.....I would have liked to have seen this place buzzing as I am sure it must have done in years past!! I am keeping my fingers (& toes) crossed for AC, that March does in fact bring a good spike in visitors!

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/31/10 05:33 PM

Mid February through March are busy every year and my calender is loaded with deposits left by clients for their reservations.
I don't look at statistics, I can look at the Excel sheet and calender.
Rise and falls of bookings follow a pattern...you could call them natural highs and lows! After the holidays the island always has a low and picks up again after the first week of Feb. getting more intense as we approach the last of the month and March is always booming with the various spring breaks all the way into April.
The whining of doom and whats going to happen to the island follows the same pattern. Everyone will cheer about Feb. 7th and continue to be content until the latter part of April after we've enjoyed the Easter business when whining will begin again until the European vacationers arrive June 1st.
August winds down business wise and up whine wise, after that the end of the world as we know it starts in Sept and last till Thanksgiving. ...every friggin year.
OOPS! my attitude
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/31/10 06:00 PM

I am noticing the same thing! So my question is..... if we know the season highs and lows, why not plan for it? Even squirrels save their nuts for winters (and they are rodents!)

We dread going into town in the fall because it is a constant need for $$$s...

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/31/10 06:17 PM

I do it every year myself, i know Sept and Oct are coming, against human nature?
Posted By: seashell

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 01/31/10 09:36 PM

My local friends have been telling me for years, that January is a very slow month. I've always been surprised by that. But I suppose, my surprise is because I don't have children. If I thought about it that way, maybe I'd consider that the Xmas holidays had just passed, the family had spent a lot of money, the kids were just back in school after a few weeks off, etc.
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/01/10 12:32 AM

Perhaps Elbert is lucky, but I know several other dive operators who had a very slow "high season" when they made little money. They are praying that the next few months will redress that, or they see lean times ahead.
Posted By: Relaxed

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/01/10 12:59 AM

It will most likely get worse before it improves..........if it ever does........you will never see tourism like it has been in the past 5 years.......those days are long gone..........the fantastic world is gone.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/01/10 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Peter Jones
Perhaps Elbert is lucky,
Luck as nothing to do with it Peter...its called marketing
Posted By: Hon

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/01/10 01:22 AM

I will post on this tomorrow when I am a little more cognizant sleep ...I have had no sleep for 30 hours. January was an interesting month in SP.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/01/10 02:40 AM

Jesse a good point I see lots of things happen to people who are reactive ,not proactive .you see peter you need to be like the sea turttle if your going anyware you got to stick your neck out lol ..What I am saying you have to market yourself to make it happen ..MARKETING IS THE KEY .Jesse is on the money ..
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/01/10 04:15 AM

Marketing will help to improve your relative position, but will do very little to improve the overall business pool. The businesses I am referring to are very pro-active, well established and well run, yet are inevitably affected by the overall downturn in tourism.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/01/10 05:07 PM

PETER RIGHT .???????????????????

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/01/10 05:18 PM

Marketing will very rarely HURT though. It's far too simple to throw our hands in the air and say "Well, why bother? The economy is bad". Tourism will always have ups and downs because travel is a luxury not a priority for most people...end of story. The worst thing to do in regards to marketing is nothing. You must ride it out and keep your name on the tip of everyone's tongue. And for the love of Pete, try and remain positive, avoiding the Eeyore Syndrome.
Posted By: McLovin

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/01/10 07:51 PM

I am going to jump in here and comment on the airfare
I am bringing about 20 people in late Feb and we wound up paying about $580 r/t. Of that 580 I believe about 200 was taxes. As a matter of fact the taxes went up $60 in Dec. IF and only IF the Belizean gov. wants to make tourism a priorty they need to reduce their taxes. I have traveled quite a bit in the last 15 years or so and I have never seen the tax rate on an ailine ticket so high. That being said EVERYTHING ELSE I have booked in Belize has been, I believe, a good value. So maybe the gov needs to step back and see the big picture. Get the people in and they will spend the money. WHy do you think cellular phone companies give away $300 phones? So they can make the money on the service.
Maybe that is not the point though.
Maybe Belize does not want too many tourist. That would be okay. It just goes against everything I was taught in business school.
We are flying from Tulsa,Oklahoma City, and Tampa by the way and the Tampa ticket was the cheapest!!! Go figure.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/01/10 08:11 PM

am bringing about 20 people in late Feb and we wound up paying about $580 r/t.

$580.00 is well below anything I have seen in a while. I just paid $740.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/01/10 08:21 PM

Some boarders here have done the airline tax breakdown before and it turned out that Belize's airport taxes are far less than most places.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/01/10 08:56 PM

JZB, I would be interested in seeing that. Can you direct me ?

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/01/10 09:13 PM

It was discussed more than once but the most recent breakdown was on the post 'an open letter about the cost of airfare' //ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/358825/An_open_letter_about_the_cost_.html#Post358825

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/01/10 09:15 PM

I book tickets to other countries often enough to be able to say that the taxes are around $150 to $200 minimum on almost all of my return flights, regardless the destination.

With regard to marketing . . well, there's an old adage that goes something like this. "In good times, you should advertise. In lean times, you MUST advertise."

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/01/10 09:21 PM

Thanks JZB, the one thing not listed are Landing Fee's at Goldson
Posted By: klcman

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/02/10 12:58 AM

That's because it is built into the "airfare" portion E and not available to John Q as it is not classified as a "tax" - or, as someone tried to convince me, there really is no such thing as a "landing fee", per se. It is an amalgam of all the "taxes"

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/02/10 01:16 AM

SS, are you sure those are all taxes? The total taxes on my trip this May to Buenos Aires is $66.00 for a RT ticket.

I recently purchased a RT tix on Continental to Belize for November, 2010: Looking at the ticket, the tax breakdown is as follows:

Belize Airport Development: $18.00
U.S. Customs User Fee: $5.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee: $7.00
Belize Conservation Tax: $3.75
Belize Passenger Service: $15.00
Belize Security Tax: $2.50
U.S. APHIS User Fee: $5.00 (don't know what this is)
U.S. Security Service Fee: $7.50

Grand total of taxes on this tix: $64.25 and only $39.25 are Belize imposed taxes.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/02/10 01:34 AM

Also, I may be wrong, but I do not believe that a fuel surcharge is a tax.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/02/10 03:00 AM

And, LM, that includes your departure tax. Total pretty will aligns with my #'s on the post linked above.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/02/10 05:03 AM

Oops, I may be talking fuel surcharge too. Sorry. I'll check and see before I say more about it.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/02/10 06:07 AM

The fuel surcharge is a non government surcharge imposed by the airlines and hidden in the taxes. Usually will show as "CO YQ surcharge" in the taxes. They're some fares right now from Philly that show the CO YQ surcharge as a $240 tax on top of the other taxes. You need really check some of the low fares. The flight might show as $400 not including taxes, but with taxes more like $700.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/02/10 06:17 AM

Example of the fuel surcharge tax (CO YQ Surcharge) on a flight from Philly to Belize stopping in Houston:

Fare (A1):PHL HOU fare $78.14
Fare (B1):HOU BZE fare $99.00
Fare (B2):BZE HOU fare $99.00
Fare (A2):HOU PHL fare $78.14

Tax: US International Departure Tax $16.10
Tax: US September 11th Security Fee $7.50
Tax: CO YQ surcharge $240.00
Tax: USDA APHIS Fee $5.00
Tax: US Immigration Fee $7.00
Tax: US Customs Fee $5.50
Tax: Belize Conservation Tax $3.75
Tax: Belize Passenger Service Fee $15.00
Tax: Belize International Security Fee $2.50
Tax: Belize Airport Development Fee $18.00
Tax: US International Arrival Tax $16.10
Tax: US Passenger Facility Charge $10.50

Total for 1 adult passenger: $700.95

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/02/10 04:07 PM

Where do you get the information that a fuel surcharge is considered a "tax"? On Continental website I read it as part of the base fare - subject to vast fluctuation, depending on the cost of jet fuel.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/02/10 04:39 PM

In travel agent lingo it is separate from the taxes. Called "Q" charges and is a big chunk of change and always subject to change till ticket is issued and paid for in full. Nightmare for group reservations that you can hold for x amount of time before you have to ticket/purchase. They always change and they never go down!
Posted By: McLovin

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/02/10 06:04 PM

thank you barbara k
that explains why our tickets went up $60 after we had gotten a fixed quote 3 months earier.
that being said I will take back my complaint about the belize tax on my tickets.
Posted By: scrumbum

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/03/10 05:55 AM

SEA-BZE, $1219 American Airlines. Coach. Granted, this is coming up quickly but I've never seen the fare this high even 3 days before departure. 5 months ago the same itinerary was ~ $650. The inbound flight is fairly full, but the outbound flight is only half full. If I am to believe Kayak, only $78 of this is tax. Even more amazing, the same itinerary is available for FF redemption at 35K miles RT. Deal.
Posted By: CaptOneIron

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/03/10 08:53 AM

The price for your flight has changed
Old price: $493.00 + $74.45 taxes & fees = $567.45
New price Why did this happen? Best Price Guarantee
Roundtrip: $614.45
1:15 pm Depart Seattle (SEA)
Arrive Belize City (BZE) 11:50 am +1 day Wed 3-Feb
Duration: 20hr 35mn
American Airlines 6852 / 2103
Connect in Miami (MIA)

4:50 pm Depart Belize City (BZE)
Arrive Seattle (SEA) 9:09 am +1 day Tue 9-Feb
Duration: 18hr 19mn
American Airlines 2194 / 6804
Connect in Los Angeles (LAX)
Total stops: 2
Posted By: CaptOneIron

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/03/10 08:55 AM

I just looked this up (above) on expedia. Looks like a total with fees of less than $600 even though the travel time is virtually a full day and night with total time of 20 hours. I bet that can be improved upon with a little work.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/03/10 09:42 PM

Just got quote from Orbitz.

$406 + $346 taxes & fees = $752 USD per person

Leave
Sat, Feb 6 Continental Airlines 223
Depart: 6:20am
Arrive: 12:23pm Seattle, WA (SEA)
Houston, TX (IAH)
1 stop Economy 4hr 3min Boeing 757 View seats
Change planes. Time between flights: 0hr 32min
Continental Airlines 1628
Depart: 12:55pm
Arrive: 3:20pm Houston, TX (IAH)
Belize City, Belize (BZE)

Economy 2hr 25min Boeing 737 View seats
Total duration: 7hr 0min

Return
Sat, Feb 13 Continental Airlines 1478
Depart: 12:20pm
Arrive: 2:52pm Belize City, Belize (BZE)
Houston, TX (IAH)
1 stop Economy 2hr 32min Boeing 737 View seats
Change planes. Time between flights: 2hr 38min
Continental Airlines 667
Depart: 5:30pm
Arrive: 8:15pm Houston, TX (IAH)
Seattle, WA (SEA)
Economy 4hr 45min Boeing 737 View seats
Total duration: 9hr 55min

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/04/10 01:08 AM

yeah, great itinerary. Overnight in MIA is wonderful. Layovers in DFW & LAX almost as enticing. cry

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/04/10 01:40 AM

Champion:

cccccccccSummary
1 Ticket / Roundtrip
SEA Seattle to
CUN Cancun

Leave: Sat 6-Feb
Return: Sat 13-Feb

1 adult $260.00
Taxes & Fees $110.90

Total $370.9

Okay.....add to this $40 bus travel Cancun to Chetumal = $410 (RT = $450)
And water taxi from Chetumal to San Pedro @ $55 RT = $505 USD PER PERSON

So flying into Cancun can save you easily save you $250.....without trying!!

And this trip GETS you to SAN PEDRO!!!

We haven't added to your $752 the cost to get from Belize City to San Pedro! Surely this puts a journey from SEA to to SP at around $839.

Flying into Cancun then saves you around $334!!

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/04/10 01:42 AM

If you guys are trying to save money, stay at home.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/04/10 01:45 AM

Yeah, do like Ernie..stay at home and mouth off to the real people.
He knows nothing!!!

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/04/10 03:43 AM

The better mantra is to stay at home when you are at home to save money so you can go! Works for me....
Posted By: A C

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/04/10 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ernie B
If you guys are trying to save money, stay at home.

I wish you'd save some money and cancel your internet. Be more encouraging/supportive to people, you might enjoy it.

AC
Posted By: scrumbum

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/04/10 07:01 AM

Sorry, should have clarified. This is for a specific, optimal schedule itinerary on AA with minimal layover. What I meant to say is that this specific itinerary has gone up in price significantly since the last time I looked. When coming from SEA, routings thru MIA are best avoided.
Posted By: catdance62

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/04/10 01:00 PM

i just got a ticket for $562.00 from Shreveport, La. to BZE for the 2nd week of April. That's not too awful bad. Flying straight out of DFW was cheaper, but SHV is way more convenient.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/08/10 11:11 PM

Booked last week for flight to Argentina in May and here's the breakdown of tax,fees and fuel surcharge:

U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 16.10
U.S. Security Service Fee: 5.00
Fuel Surcharge: 150.60
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 14.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 10.00
Canadian Security Charge: 16.00
Canada Airport Improvement Fee: 19.77
Canada Goods and Services Tax: 0.99
Argentina Immigration Tax: 10.00
Argentina Security Tax: 2.50
Argentina Airport Tax: 29.00
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 6.00

On top of all that, I'm given to understand that as I am a Canadian, will also have to fork over $70 US to leave the country. I am used to Continental adding in these kinds of exit fees, but apparently for Argentina, they cannot do it.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/09/10 01:16 AM

Same is true in Ecuador, SS. ( or was, last time I was there).

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/09/10 03:40 AM

Wow SS, glad I read this. I better check with American and see if I am going to get socked for this fee as well. I bet since I got a frequent flier tix, I will be subject to it. Oh well, you pay when you come in and you pay when you go out!

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/09/10 04:55 AM

A littal late but screw Jesse. The mouth of San Pedro
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/09/10 04:59 AM

Ernie - you crack me up! XXOO

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/09/10 07:00 AM

Yeah, sure, you should still check Laurie, but I was told it was the charge for a Canadian.
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/09/10 06:42 PM

to original poster: we had to skip our nov & feb/march trips there for the first time in 4 years - the economy - our taxes & health insurance went way up.

went to costa rica in sept instead - cheaper flight, better lodging bang for the buck, & cheaper food...

...but we love SP so i hit that last air sale. back in april, but its the longest we've been away since feb 07.
Posted By: Maynard

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/09/10 10:49 PM

Houston to Belize City
April 3-11, $428 RT for a Direct flight on Continental.
Posted By: tcoats

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/10/10 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Maynard
Houston to Belize City
April 3-11, $428 RT for a Direct flight on Continental.

Where did you find that? I just checked online for same dates and it tells me $532 RT on Continental.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/10/10 02:05 AM

Such a deal......... shocked

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/10/10 02:07 AM

I see now. The $428 is before taxes and fees. $532 all in.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/10/10 02:29 AM

Not to mention that is hard to find a non-direct flight out of Houston, especially on Continental. ;^)
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/10/10 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by seashell
Not to mention that is hard to find a non-direct flight out of Houston, especially on Continental. ;^)

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/10/10 02:36 AM

SS - If ya want, CO routing IAH/SAL/BZE for a grand wink

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/10/10 03:01 AM

Sure, why not?

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/10/10 06:03 AM

Too bad for those of us in the Houston area. TACA used to fly non-stop to BZE from Houston, but not anymore. Now they fly to San Salvador first and then to BZE, making the once two-hour flight now a five-hour flight including the one-hour stop. And they leave at about 5:45 a.m. and get back at almost midnight.

And they use to give Continental some competion. We flew with TACA several times for around $280 RT total when they ran specials. Now, with no competition (AA doesn't fly BZE out of Houston), Continental can charge whatever they want, which has been $532 for months now and into the future. I checked prices when I came down in January, and I could fly from DC to BZE, via one stop in Houston for $404, but the same flight, minus the extra leg each way, was $532 from Houston non-stop to BZE.

When I called Continental about it, they told me that they run specials in cities where they need to stay competitive.

Stinks for us!
Posted By: Maynard

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/10/10 09:13 PM

Sorry, I forgot to add all the fees on the Houston to Belize flight. It was still the best fare I could find for us here in Atlanta. As it is now, we will drive to Houston (11hrs) to catch our flight to save $200 per person on our tickets, and end up staying an extra night on AC. Our first visit, so we are excited.
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/10/10 09:42 PM

Nice Maynard an extra night on vacation is a good thing so is saving $200 a person.
Posted By: LoveH20

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/10/10 09:47 PM

Right now we (Minnesota) are looking at over $700 including the taxes...pretty outrageous. But still trying.
Posted By: Jack-A-Roe

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/10/10 10:48 PM

In late December when American was having a sale I booked flights for $432 from Chicago. I jumped on them after earlier looking at fares of $700-800. At that level we would not have been coming back for our 5th time. So happy now!

I guess that does not include the exit fee. What is it currently and what currency is it paid in?
Posted By: RMT

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/10/10 11:54 PM

Sorry for the quick hijack....Jack-a-Roe...Bev? John? How are you?? It's been YEARS since we first met!
Hope all is well...Rhonda
Posted By: azbob

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/10/10 11:58 PM

Jack they take US$ and give change in US$.

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/11/10 12:56 AM

Call it $40US and be done.....not enought change back to buy a rum punch or Belikin at Jet's.
Posted By: Jack-A-Roe

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/11/10 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by RMT
Sorry for the quick hijack....Jack-a-Roe...Bev? John? How are you?? It's been YEARS since we first met!
Hope all is well...Rhonda

Hi Rhonda. Yes, it has been years! Is your son (Peter?)in college yet?!?

We will be back next week and staying at our favorite, the Mayan Princess. Fortunately, the weather forecast for Chicago looks good enough that we might actually get there!

Posted By: RMT

Re: Where are all the tourists? - 02/11/10 03:37 PM

Nice to "see" you again!

Peter is my husband actually, you were close though! Liam turned 14 last week so a few years yet, but soon enough!

Enjoy your stay at the Mayan Princess. If I remember correctly we first met running into each other at the ice machine there! Lol

Have a great time!
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board