AmbergrisCaye.com Home

can you eat horse eyed jacks?

Posted By: A C

can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/08/10 11:14 PM

obviosly you CAN eat them, but do people? do they taste good? anyone here had them?

Ive found a spot that is a VERY short swim from me where there is litereally hundreds of them. Around a foot or longer each. Theyve been there the last 4 times I've looked.

Let me know if they taste good, if so Im going to buy a net! lol

AC

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/08/10 11:15 PM

[Linked Image]

this is what they look like.

AC
Posted By: SimonB

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/08/10 11:59 PM

Yes you can and this sounds like a pretty good recipe: http://www.ehow.com/how_2043378_prepare-jack-fish-chipotle-patties.html

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 12:05 AM

welp that settles it, Im about to reduce their population by a few tomorrow smile

anyone else tried them?

AC
Posted By: suecate

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 12:30 AM

I go with "Fish are friends not Food" hoping they think of me the same when I am down under visiting them. (lol)
Posted By: klcman

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 12:58 AM

Just curious.........is netting legal inside the reef? And what about that license mentioned on another thread??

(of course we've all seen sardines being netted)

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by suecate
I go with "Fish are friends not Food" hoping they think of me the same when I am down under visiting them. (lol)

well thats just bland...

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by klcman
Just curious.........is netting legal inside the reef? And what about that license mentioned on another thread??

(of course we've all seen sardines being netted)

good question, and yeah ive seen sardines being netted. doesnt mean its legal.

I also see people driving golf carts all the time drinking a beer. doesnt mean its legal either.

either way Id like to know the laws

AC
Posted By: captjeff

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 01:19 AM

A/C yes you can eat it them ,ask maya she likes all fish in the jack family ..Now on another note where did you see these fish .I know you are staying near capt morgans?? so where are they and how close to the beach are they ..I do not eat jacks however lots here do ..The only fish thatI will eat that has red meat is tuna. will back to my place in march ,will invite you as my guest fishing with the real deal people, on the new super yacht love shack .LOL.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 01:25 AM

I believe netting them is not legal as they are a game fish but if there are that many a small jig should catch you a few. No need for a rod, just hand line it. I've caught them on a fly rod and they put up a good fight.
Posted By: Dawghed

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 02:18 AM

My wife likes to catch a few off the pier where we stay. I think last time she crunched up Italian croutons with tortilla chips for a light coating before pan frying them. She normally seasons corn meal for frying fish but we didnt see any corn meal at the local store and didnt feel like going to the big store. The fish were very delicious.

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by captjeff
A/C yes you can eat it them ,ask maya she likes all fish in the jack family ..Now on another note where did you see these fish .I know you are staying near capt morgans?? so where are they and how close to the beach are they ..I do not eat jacks however lots here do ..The only fish thatI will eat that has red meat is tuna. will back to my place in march ,will invite you as my guest fishing with the real deal people, on the new super yacht love shack .LOL.

ah you want my secret spot eh jeff?!

PM me hehe

AC
Posted By: elbert

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 02:45 PM

[Linked Image]
I shoot them with the camera but eat them also.
Its almost a red meat, very different tasting fish.

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 03:14 PM

elbert you shoulda shot them with a spear gun. probably wouldve got 2 or 3 in one shot haha!

sounds odd, looking forward to trying it.

anyone know what they eat (for bait) when fishing?

AC
Posted By: collyk

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 03:25 PM

A C, use your net to catch some live sardines. That is what Jack like best. They are a dark meat, oily fish. We like eating them raw, as sashimi and also fried in batter. They are also good grilled whole if you like oily fish. They put up a good fight. If you use a hand line, make sure it is wrapped around something solid like a bottle. It will prove quite a challenge.
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 03:27 PM

AC you can use smaller sardines as bait and I have to agree with Simon, they are fun catching them on an ultra light rod. Now you want something that is fun as heck to fight and tastes even better catch a queen trigger fish.
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 03:30 PM

i know it was just a joke, AC, but wow there are very specific spearfishing regs too!

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 03:35 PM

AC , I've just still got this thing about nonlocals and spear guns , no offense buddy, i did it when first came down. hell i felt like Tarzan for the first few years but if the tourist start using spear guns then the fish population will suffer.
were gona hafta consider you a local.
Its fun and I can't really criticize but imagine the tourist population of snorkelers with spear guns.

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 03:40 PM

LOL honestly, elbert....talk about an accident waiting to happen... shocked

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 03:42 PM

and, hey, wait a sec...i've been there more days than he has - why am i not considered a local? did anyone ever say the days had to be CONSECUTIVE??? laugh

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 03:48 PM

We'll have to create a card so you can be a 'Card Carrying Local'
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 04:02 PM

DON'T SHOOT THE QUEEN! I think Queen Trigger Fish have "attitude" and should be allowed to live. It is impossible for me to eat the friends I swim with. I can't even eat Grouper anymore; I try to stick to Snapper but my fisherman does bring me Hog fish too. I do ask that he not bring me any babies. I try to live by the Native American Indian credo - only take one member of a family - and only if you leave nine behind. They applied this to plants as well as animals.

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by sweetjane
and, hey, wait a sec...i've been there more days than he has - why am i not considered a local? did anyone ever say the days had to be CONSECUTIVE??? laugh

Originally Posted by elbert
We'll have to create a card so you can be a 'Card Carrying Local'

Um what am I over here chopped liver?

And for the record I am against spear fishing, give me an ultra light rod with 8 lb test in my right hand, a cold Belikin in the other and life is good my friends.

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by elbert
AC , I've just still got this thing about nonlocals and spear guns , no offense buddy, i did it when first came down. hell i felt like Tarzan for the first few years but if the tourist start using spear guns then the fish population will suffer.
were gona hafta consider you a local.
Its fun and I can't really criticize but imagine the tourist population of snorkelers with spear guns.

No offense taken. I honestly couldnt agree more. Anymore than 2 people out in the water with a spear gun seems insanely dangerous. Just as I think crowd of people going hunting with rifles would be. Accidents can and will happen. So yeah as i said when we met the other day I definitly agree it wouldnt be safe to do spear fishing "tours". But honestly i still want a Hawaiian sling and try my luck, even if its alone in shallower waters. Heck I dont even wanna use a the locked and loaded auto rigs (yet) hehe.

In the states I good pretty darn good with a regular (non compound) bow. I wonder if anyone has tried bow fishing out here (around the areas you could fly fish for larger fish).

Hrmmm

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by sweetjane

Its not a contest! and trust me i will probably never consider myself a 'local'. Im definitely a traveller. And probably will never be a local anywhere until i find a place that will make me want to give up all the rest and build. Could belize be it? maybe maybe smile

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 04:56 PM

never a contest, AC. cool its all in fun.

and carbie, no way, you aint no chopped liver. u one big slow cooked rack o ribs drippin with sop, baby! wooo-weeee!! LOL!

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 07:36 PM

But honestly i still want a Hawaiian sling

Is that a new kind of swim wear? grin grin grin

{right now there are some who are rolling their eyes}
Posted By: azbob

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/09/10 07:47 PM

Dang, John we are going to miss you!!!

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/10/10 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by carbunkletrumpet

But honestly i still want a Hawaiian sling

Is that a new kind of swim wear? grin grin grin

{right now there are some who are rolling their eyes}

I since now have 2 Hawaiian slings, if you catch me WEARING either of them please pick me up in the boat. cause im wasted! haha

AC
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/10/10 04:08 PM

Fresh caught Jack fish lightly cooked in coconut oil gets my vote.
Posted By: captjeff

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/10/10 04:54 PM

Boy sounds like fun ,my place the love shack I rented out for the whole month .But will be back in march for two weeks .Timming is everything in life..
Posted By: larryc

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/11/10 04:03 PM

spotted owl taste just like chicken too
Posted By: Mohave_Steve

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/21/10 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by larryc
spotted owl taste just like chicken too

I have to disagree..... Much closer to Bald Eagle than chicken.....
Posted By: ExOkie

Re: can you eat horse eyed jacks? - 02/21/10 07:47 PM

Reminds me of Dennis Wolfe's song Save The Manatee....

Save the whales
Save the baby seals
Save the dolphins
Save the moray eels

Save the eagle
Save the redwood tree
But save the Manatee for me

Cause I like it broiled, I like it fried
With some french fries on the side
It's so tasty when it's stewed
But best when barbequed

I bought my wife a freezer