AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Soccermedic Vegetarian choices - 02/22/10 11:51 PM
My family and I will be coming out in April and I was wondering if there are any vegetarian choices at restaurants on AC. I am a vegetarian but the family will eat almost anything. smile

Susan
Posted By: hazzyy Re: Vegetarian choices - 02/23/10 02:27 PM
Vegetarian or Vegan? Either way there aren't a whole lot of choices restaurant-wise except salads and such. If you are referring to groceries and eating in, you can buy organic soy milk and a few other soy products. I think Greenhouse sells tofu and TSP. Plenty of spots to buy vegetables and fruit.
Posted By: JeanH Re: Vegetarian choices - 02/23/10 02:39 PM
There are several options for veggie burritos, quesadillas, that sort of thing.

Also, pasta dishes.

Beans and rice, but if you're a purist ask about the type of cooking oil.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat much meat, and find there is usually something veggie on almost all menus.
Posted By: ScottPH Re: Vegetarian choices - 02/23/10 05:52 PM
I'm a vegetarian too, and I agree with JeanH that there's usually SOMETHING veggie on the menu. It's generally recommended that you call the restaurant beforehand. Most cooks in Belize are happy to make something custom if they have enough warning.
Posted By: LaraTravelBelize Re: Vegetarian choices - 02/23/10 06:32 PM
Legends Burger House, just north of the cut, makes the most AMAZING black bean burgers. As a quasi-vegetarian, until they opened i ate loads of quesedillas, bean burritos and such. Their "Bob Marley" Burger is hearty, delicious, and satisfying (not a bocaburger).
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Vegetarian choices - 02/24/10 12:20 AM
Jambel Jerk pit has a great ital veggie dish on their menu.
Posted By: SnoopysMom Re: Vegetarian choices - 02/24/10 03:36 AM
Vegetarian "balanced meals" with some sort of protein are challenging here. I found that to be the case even in the states at least with fast food as I used to eat an awful lot of peanut butter smile

That said, Hummingbird cafe has several Asian fusion type dishes and vegetable sushi rolls and Fido's has a couple of options as well, .
Posted By: Soccermedic Re: Vegetarian choices - 02/24/10 10:43 PM
Well, it seems that I should be able to find something to eat.

Susan
Posted By: collyk Re: Vegetarian choices - 02/25/10 12:47 AM
You'll have no problem Soccermedic. There are really lots of excellent vegetarian choices at most restaurants here and everyone is so obliging that if they don't have something you like or want, they really will go out of their way to make something for you specially. Try to experience some of the local vegetables such as cho-cho (chayote) and plantain.
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet Re: Vegetarian choices - 02/25/10 12:53 AM
You know I have eaten fish, pork, chicken, Belkin Beer on the island but I have never eaten a Vegetarian. I wonder what kind of hot sauce you use on em? grin grin
Posted By: Soccermedic Re: Vegetarian choices - 02/26/10 11:16 PM
LOL!
Posted By: Maynard Re: Vegetarian choices - 02/27/10 12:47 PM
Margaritas work well.
Posted By: HOT_Card Re: Vegetarian choices - 02/28/10 04:57 PM
My hubbie's cousin stayed with us a few weeks back and is a strict veggie. She found several places to eat and would agree with Lara about the bean burger. We also went to Blue Iguana who made a special veggie pasta just for her and they stocked up on veggies to cook at home from the stand just next to Castillo's.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Vegetarian choices - 02/28/10 05:51 PM
Found out last night that Lola's Pub does garden burger sliders.
Posted By: Soccermedic Re: Vegetarian choices - 03/01/10 10:28 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the info. This is great stuff. 33 days till Belize. I am so excited.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board