AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: islandgirl76 Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/03/10 08:12 AM
I am torn between two hotels and want to know which one I should pick. We are a couple looking for romance and lot of snorkeling trips, not a lot of nightlife, don't really think I would feel safe in town at night. I really like Tranquility Bay and Xanadu. I understand that one is closer to town, but is the town really that nice? From the photos, it doesn't look all that appealing and read about people in town pushing drugs everywhere. We've been to Bocas del Toro in Panama and didn't like the bocas town that much, is it similar to San Pedro?

Tranquility Bay is far and will cost $80 RT for the water taxi ride to/from town and I'm concerned about also about mosquitoes and sand flies in this area, but the snorkeling in Bacalar Chica seems really interesting. Is Bacalar as nice as Hol Chan? How is it in that area?

Thanks and hope someone can help me make a decision.

Posted By: Gaz Cooper Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/03/10 09:58 AM
Based on reading in between the lines here I would suggest the Tanquility Bay option as they have snorkeling from the shore and its very peaceful and serene up there quite beautiful.

Of course you are far from town and its just not cost effective to stay there if you want ot be going back and forth into town, I belive the resrt runs a boat every now and again but you should not stay there if you want to be in town other than the odd time during your stay.
Sanflies and Mozzies it really depends when you are coming, normally there is a nice sea breeze that keeps them at bay but in the rainy season when the wind drops they can be a problem but nothing a good repellant cant take care of.

Xanadu is located south of town about 5-7 minute by cab into the town center and from there you have lots of options of different restaurants bars shops etc but of course its growing town and theres lots of hustle and bustle some people love that mixing with the locals and having lots of choices other prefer the peaceful quiet northern resorts.

Hol Chan Stands on its own as being probably one of the best snorkeling spots in the whole of the Caribbean and has fantastic fish life and is a must when you visit the island and can be done from anywhere including tranquility bay you could use that as an excuse to come into town for the day and do the Hol chan trip and then spend an afternoon in town.

Gaz Cooper
Posted By: AlJ Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/03/10 12:48 PM
I felt safe when in town but didn't want to put up with the confusion and the people. We stayed about 1.2 miles south of town at Banana Beach. We walked past Xanadu to get to town but I don't remember how far north it was.

I'd stay somewhere south of town. You can go see town as much as you want. You can take tours to the mainland. You can snorkel at the reef. You also have full access to the restaurants.

When we were there (we normally go to Caye Caulker), we took a tour to Bacalar Chico. The trip was fun but the snorkeling wasn't. It was pretty windy and the water rough. Not Bacalar Chico's fault but still. It was a very long boat ride on a hard seat for less than ordinary snorkeling. I think you'd find the reef (Hol Chan) to be much better.

Here's a link to some pictures from our trip. There's pictures from the Bacalar Chico trip, snorkeling at the reef, around San Pedro and around the rest of the island. The buttons should show what the pictures are.

http://www.alandsuejohnson.com/belize_2008.htm

When you tire of looking at one folder click on the UP arrow on the index page. To view, click on the first one to enlarge it and you can click on the right edge to step through them. Help link at the bottom.
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/03/10 01:45 PM
I've been to Bocas twice and it is completely different than San Pedro - Bocas is much smaller and more "primitive". I haven't stayed at Tranquility Bay, but stopped there for a couple of hours for a beach BBQ while on the Bacalar Chico trip, it is a gorgeous spot, but my pick would be Xanadu, as I have stayed there a few times. It is quiet, beautiful grounds and you can walk mostly everywhere to and from town.

In numerous trips to SP, I have never been approached for drugs, so I wouldn't worry about that. If it happens, smile politely and say no thanks. No worries, enjoy your trip!
Posted By: islandgirl76 Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/03/10 05:01 PM
How is the wind and current in May at Tranquility Bay?
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/03/10 05:26 PM
Mossies aren't bad at Tranquility. Wind will be much the same as in town, which is stonking at the moment. Current inside the reef isn't a problem there. One thing that Tranquility has that nowhere else has is that the reef isn't just very close, there's also no through boat traffic (it's beyond the last cut to get outside the reef). So you can swim or kayak to the reef easily and in complete safety - no boat dodging. A downside is that you only have the on-site restaurant, but the food is highly regarded so it's not much of a downside. When there are people staying there there tends to be at least one boat a day going to town, often more. The water taxi, now just Coastal Express, terminates at Blue Reef, about 12 minutes' boat ride south, and the Tranquility folks will meet the water taxi for travel in either direction. Coastal Express used to charge very moderate rates and may well still do, but they now have a monopoly so we shall see what happens.

No doubt Carlos (the manager, with his lovely wife Isabella) will be on here shortly.
Posted By: tcoats Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/03/10 05:36 PM
San Pedro is a lovely, quaint little town. The locals and the tourists mingle together in harmony in the streets, businesses, shops, restaurants and bars. I have only been offered marijuana one time in all my many trips there.

I have never felt unsafe in the town during the day or at night. The only time I have ever felt uneasy is when I get out of town at night, either north or south, away from the busy inhabited areas. Just exercise caution, especially after dark, just as you would in any U.S. city or town for that matter.

Once you see the town of San Pedro, you will see what all the allure is about, and that it is an essential part of the Caribbean and Belizean experience.

My recommendation would also be Xanadu.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/03/10 06:34 PM
It would be a shame to come to San Pedro and not experience San Pedro. I feel that the first few trips here should be booked close to town so you are really HERE. After that (or honeymooners) can get way off by themselves but do yourself a favor and experience the people. That's what we are famous for.
Posted By: DAK Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/03/10 10:20 PM
As a first time visitor I would recommend you stay closer to town to experience the flavor of San Pedro. It is a quaint town that is diverse and enjoyable. The locals are welcoming and you would miss out on a tremendous experience if you came all the way to our little island and didn't experience all San Pedro has to offer. As far as drugs go I've only been offered weed a couple times but a polite "No Thanks" has been well received and the "entrepreneur" moves on. I haven't been offered any other drugs. Just use common sense and be aware of your surroundings and you should stay safe.
Posted By: CarlosCabanas Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/03/10 10:33 PM
To islandgirl,

If you are looking for nightlife and wish to experience a different restaurant every night then you would probably most enjoy staying in town.

However, if you are looking for an idyllic spot with a secluded beach where you can snorkel directly from the beach to a pristine reef as much as you want for free with no boat rental, then come see us at Tranquility Bay Resort.

The Hol Chan snorkeling trip is a must-do for visitors to Belize. You will see in 45 minutes snorkeling what you will see in a week at Bacalar Chico. The abundance of marine life is outstanding. We offer all the tours directly from the resort with our onsite tour guide who will take you there for a half day tour including shark ray alley, or we can combine it with another half day trip to visit Caye Caulker island to see the seahorses. These trips can include a stop in San Pedro town if requested by the group.

In May we generally have a small breeze which makes snorkeling easy and also keeps the mosquitoes and sand flies away. As long as there is breeze we have no problems with the bugs but for the rare days when the breeze drops we do stock insect repellent, baby oil and other devices in the cabanas to keep them at bay.

We have our above water restaurant where you can see tarpon, spotted eagle rays and many others at night. You also have 2 different options for eating, homemade cinnamon buns and pizza from our neighbor or go to the restaurant at our neighbor resort which is within 10 minutes walking distance.

You can also either charter a boat for trips into town or join one of our scheduled trips which go to town frequently. With a 5 night booking we do not charge for you to charter a boat but for less than 5 nights then we will charge $80 round-trip.

I hope this helps with your decision and if you have any more questions please feel free to email or call us. We hope we will see you soon in our paradise.
Posted By: GwenA Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/03/10 11:11 PM
Hopefully you will get this message. There isn't a lot of overt drug dealing that is pressured on you around town. Also, please figure out who Carlos Cabanas is. I would suggest as a person who lives here. If you come here for the first time, please stay in a lovely resort close to town, and that's exactly what Xanadu is. San Pedro is a tiny town, and there isn't the kind of hype and pressure when you are about town that other Caribbean Islands or resorts like Cancun put upon you. I hope this forum stops individuals that are sales persons for resorts from posting as non-involved marketers for resorts...NOW.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/03/10 11:34 PM
Gwen - if that's a dig at Carlos it's TOTALLY uncalled for. I had already said he was the manager at Tranquility Bay, and his own post carries the resort's website as its signature. He is not posing as anything he isn't.

You seem to be very keen to push Xanadu. Are you a totally uninvolved observer? IMO Xanadu is a nice place but I wouldn't personally stay there for various reasons - I'd prefer Caribbean Villas (almost next door) for example. And I have ABSOLUTELY no connection with either, other than that I know the owners & managers of both.

Besides, didn't Carlos start his post by suggesting that for some people staying near town (and not at his resort) was the right thing to do?
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/03/10 11:42 PM
Xanadu gets my nod for the same reasons GwenA posted.
Posted By: GwenA Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/03/10 11:45 PM
Peter, I just notice many times that Tranquility Bay gets hyped a lot. And, I think "Carlos Cabanas" is promoting all the time, and watching this board moment by moment. I have no interest in any resort here. I do have a house next to Caribben Villas and have stayed with them for years and years, before and while building my house. I just think that a resort near town is really the way to start if you want to learn about AC. Do we have to start this stupid nit picky thing again? I like it when services promote here to help tourists with their needs. But, I don't like it when resorts promote themselves flagrantly and I don't think that is what this thread on the board is about.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 12:00 AM
"Nit Picky"? When you have just attacked the integrity of someone by name? You seem very selective on what you consider is appropriate posting. It seems that if people disagree with you they are automatically wrong.

Whether or not Tranquility Bay is hyped a lot, and I don't think it is, it certainly wasn't by what Carlos wrote. He merely gave factual information needed if you stay there, and he started by saying that for some/many people staying near town is a better option. He declared who he was by his signature line, not that that was needed as his identity had already been mentioned higher in the thread. What's "flagrantly self-promotional" about that?
Posted By: rockfish Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 12:51 AM
islandgirl
Not sure how long your trip is, but you could spend a few day up north (and yes Tranquility Bay is a very nice resort) and the other half of your trip in town. That way you get the best of both worlds.
Posted By: GwenA Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 12:57 AM
Peter, don't you get it? If this message board is infiltrated by commercial interests,representing themselves as personal entities,it is corrupted. Why doesn't Carlos Cabannas just call himself Tranquility Bay?
Most of us are just nobodies that say what we say because we have no interests in the businesses, but maybe admire them or don't care for them.
How is a tourist, that we want to care for, and inform with an OPINION, going to know the difference.
Maybe you do need to sit in the corner.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 01:02 AM
Gwen, I don't want to labour this to death, but Carlos was hardly being secretive - it was totally clear who he was. Sure, he uses his own name but is that really significant, if his signature line shows what he represents? Besides, he was hardly giving a hard sell - he was giving factual information pretty dispassionately.

FWIW I agree with you that we don't want commercial entities masquerading as private individuals, but that wasn't the case here.

Enough.
Posted By: seashell Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 01:04 AM
GwenA, I think you should read Carlos' post again. He says outright in his second paragraph "then come see us at Tranquility Bay Resort." and then also signs off with Tranquility's website. It doesn't look to me like he is trying to misrepresent himself as an unbiased party. He did appear to be doing his best to give a balanced view.

Posted By: GwenA Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 01:14 AM
I am stupid, but he should, in my mind, just call himself Tranquility Bay....he is a commercial interest...sorry. Who else does this?
Posted By: seashell Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 01:17 AM
He's not the first by a long shot and won't be the last either. Furthermore, he's not even close to the worst that has been here.

I can't speak for Carlos, but maybe he doesn't have the Tranquility Bay name because he wants to be able represent his personal views from time to time.
Posted By: reefenit Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 01:18 AM
I don't know much yet I know a little something about something.

This is a case of minds clashing, nothing more, it has nothing to do with what you are posting here! Get to the source and go from there. What is the real beef?
Posted By: seashell Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 01:18 AM
The town area down by Xanadu is actually quite nice, in my opinion. I think it is kind of pretty down there.
Posted By: GwenA Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 01:31 AM
here's the real beef, but as I see it. Our wonderful Island has a huge number of resorts, througout...north, south, and in town. The in town is severly misunderstood, because in town, there are many quiet and happy, and well managed resorts with full access to offer scuba,snorkeling, and historical travel events. I believe bad press about crime, or rowdy-ness, has maligned the in town resorts. When tourists haven't been here they hear that north or south are the only quiet or safe resorts. That is bunk. But, there is a trend on the board to ask about "quiet places away from drug dealers, loudness, and crazy partying. I don't think anybody it picking up on these questions and requests.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 01:46 AM
Now that's a different point and I agree with it. But in fact how many tourists are put off the in-town hotels by reports of crime? Do we actually know?

As to noise, there's no doubt that most of the in-town hotels ARE a lot noisier than those outside. Hardly surprising. I've known people who have stayed at popular in-town hotels and discovered that they can't stand the 24 hour noise. Other people like the sound of bustle going on around them. Each to their own.

Let's give people all the information they need to make their own informed decision. Like telling them that Ruby's cafe opens very early in the morning, so they can decide for themselves whether to stay there. They may love the convenience and not be at all bothered by the noise, or they may find they just can't sleep in such a busy place. Their decision - so long as they know up-front.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 01:49 AM
So, now you're slamming Ruby's ?
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 01:52 AM
Why don't you learn to read, Ernie?
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 01:57 AM
Not only can I read, I can also comprehend, you dolt
Posted By: wasntme Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 02:20 AM
GWENA, I know Carlos. He is an employee of TB, not an owner. If I worked at Burger King and someone asked me the difference between there and McDonalds wouldnt I give reasons why I believe we have a better product? What is wrong taking pride in your establishment? Especially when he points out it might not be for everyone
If you are PO'd about the reputation the town is getting on this board (albeit undeservingly) dont take it out on a person that is proud of his job and his resort.
Posted By: GwenA Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 02:28 AM
Look back on the thread, I just pointed out who was who. I wasn't slamming anyone. I really think that the users and patrons of the different resorts should be the ones singing their praises. Even though I live here now and have stayed at a resort for years, even I am not doing that. read between the lines.
Who cares about a person that works for a resort trying to promote it. It won't tell anything to a patron or tourist. what you have posted says nothing, and I hope you enjoy Burger King and McDonalds.
Posted By: kerry Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 03:56 AM
this whole thread is ridiculous...everyone has different needs for their vacation...the lodging area on this site, breaks everything down...from cost, location, etc...
i prefer to stay at ruby's or cosmo's adventures...they work for me...cost is affordable, as i would rather spend my money on snorkeling or some of the wonderful restaurants or watering holes that san pedro has to offer! quit fighting u guys! i have to go back to the states soon...and i don't want to...u all are lucky to be where u are...hope nobody took offense to my interjection...:)
Posted By: Sally1 Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 04:14 AM
Island Girl, I have only visited AC 4 times but I have spent quite a bit of time in town and NEVER felt unsafe and NEVER was approached for drugs, etc. One time it was just my sister and myself and we felt totally comfortable walking around the downtown area any time of day. Very fun time.

PLEASE do not get the wrong idea about San Pedro. Great restaurants, great street food, fun bars, cute shops and wonderful people. Not shopping like you'll find on islands like St. Thomas, Grand Cayman, etc. because it's less developed but tons more charming and laid back IMO.

A recent article in some travel magazine described San Pedro as having a "scruffy charm". I think that's kinda accurate.
Posted By: kerry Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 04:50 AM
have to agree with sally...i travel solo all the time...never felt afraid...just be aware of your surroundings, as u would do anywhere
Posted By: Gaz Cooper Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 06:26 AM
Hi GwenA

I dont think the owner of the board wants people to post using there business name on the Avatar because it comes across as blatant advertising, I do see some people doing it but very few a more accepted way of showing who you are and what if any interest you have on the island is via a Signature line after your post.

This is not only unobtrusive but also shows clearly if someone has a vested interest in a business here. you

I dont think Carlos did anything wrong here he was quite fair in his comment and self promotion was not blatant and most people know Carlos works there.

With regards to Crime and your point,

You have a very valid and real point and are unfortunatley correct in what you are seeing however it is not just on this board but throuout the internet on travel message boards.

If something does not change I see the marketing of the island changing to detering people away from town and more to the northern and southern resorts and even other parts of Belize.

It is already happening

I spend a lot of time on many forums all over the internet and the exposure Ambergris Caye is getting where crime is concerned is tremendous, almost every post someone asks about crime or drugs or safety in town because they have read or heard about it.

Its a real shame for sure but unless the island really cracks down on it and nips this bad press in the butt its only going to keep coming and more and more visitors will start avoiding town.

I think the negative exposure the island is receiving is really hurting it and its is spreading like wildfire on some very high traffic sites.

As much as we can, we post in defense of San Pedro but as you have posted the foots on the other shoe and as a person with a vested interest in the island, our comments are not believed as much as a tourist with first hand experience who has visited and been the victim of a crime.

I even see Placencia taking advantage of the situation and suggesting it as a safe alternative ie, its quieter there very little crime etc etc

My personal view is its blown out of propertion to the number of visitors that visit the island but that is no consolation to the first time potential visitor who constantly reads about the crime and problems on the island with links posted to newspapers reporting violent crime.

Unfortunatley as with everything, those that have a bad experience shout louder and more often that those that have had a great experience, even though the great times outweigh any problems by a huge percentage.

Gaz Cooper
Posted By: tortuga.chica Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 02:50 PM
I agree with Sally1 & Kerry. I travel solo & I stay in town (at Ruby's, in fact.) Never been offered drugs, never felt unsafe. My hard & fast rule of traveling solo is stay aware of your surroundings.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 04:42 PM
islandgirl76 - based on what you say you are looking for, it sounds as if you may like Tranquility Bay and the great easy snorkeling it has to offer. I am not associated with either resort, but I am a travel agent just for Belize (see signature line ;-) and send clients to both TB and Xanadu. Actually I send more clients to Xanadu than to TB because most people want to be closer to town, are interested in nightlife and variety of restaurants. But I just had clients who were looking for quiet, serenity and great snorkeling and they loved TB - it suited them perfectly. So if that is what you are looking for, I would recommend it. Clients love both places and I have not had a complaint on either. I think TB does not charge for the boat to/from the resort if you stay 5 nights or more.
San Pedro town has changed a lot over the last few years and is not (nor ever was) everyone's cup of tea. Crime has increased, from none to some, but it is not as bad as most tourist places in the Caribbean, Mexico or other parts of Central America. And it is debateable if crime is worse in town or in the more isolated areas, both have their own issues. It is a fact of life that increased tourism brings increased crime, and that coupled with the worldwide economic crisis has amped it up even in Belize.
Posted By: chillywilly Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 06:56 PM
Island Girl, if you're still there (!) my boyfriend & I just stayed at Tranquility Bay for a week in February. We also spent 2 days and one night in town because we wanted to check out some shopping and nightlife. This arrangement worked fantastically for us as we had similar interests to yours, and we did not feel threatened by anything in town at all. The people were absolutely fantastic. As previously mentioned, anywhere you go you should use common sense, which I'm sure you are aware. I could not begin to praise TB enough - it is a truly a beautiful place.

As for all of the bickering, is there not a moderator on this board??? From an outsider looking in it appears to me that all of you love your island, and you want to share it with each other and visitors. Don't make me have to come back down there!!! (yet)
Posted By: islandgirl76 Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 06:58 PM
Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate it! After talking to my fiance, we decided on Tranquility Bay. Although Xanadu is very nice, they didn't have an ocean view room available and that was the deciding factor and we also want somewhere quiet. It will be the last few days of our 11 day action packed adventure in Belize so relaxation is what we have planned before we go back to the states, I think TB might be the place for us. I am now just praying the winds die down as I hear they are pretty bad right now.
Posted By: rockfish Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 09:04 PM
islandgirl
Don't lose sleep over the winds.
The winds can actually be quite pleasant. The resort has a Hobie Cat which would be a lot of fun with some wind. The wind also helps keep the bugs away. Also ask about getting pizza delivered.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/04/10 09:09 PM
The wind is gone.
Posted By: islandgirl76 Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/05/10 12:22 AM
Ok good to know. I heard the winds are suppose to be bad in April but the winds came late. Really happy its not a everyday occurrence as I would not be happy missing out on some great snorkeling!
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/05/10 12:28 AM
The winds that were just here are normally March winds...just late this year.
Posted By: krehfish Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/05/10 03:56 AM
Good lord, how's the weather gonna be when I visit. Hot? Windy?Rain? Phish, hello from menomonie, come on down in August.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/05/10 04:42 AM
Who gives a crap about the wind....if you don't have a breeze you're in trouble....
Posted By: islandgirl76 Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/05/10 05:41 AM
I'm concerned because I was told there was no visibility in the water yesterday. If I can't snorkel, that's a big problem for me!!Knowing that it's not going to be an everyday thing in the next couple of weeks is a relief! Thanks to those who kindly responded!
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/05/10 03:14 PM
Well it was clear as a bell by my house. We waded around on shore and found some creatures we have never seen before along with plenty of the more common creatures such as sea urchins, sea cucumbers and star fish.

You should be able to experience at least a few days of wonderful visibility this month.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Hotel help -1st time to Ambergris - 05/06/10 04:25 AM
We did two dives up north this morning and the water was still murky. Everette said it will take a few days for the junk to fall down. Although visibility was not great the video turned out better than expected.

I seldom see Sea Stars here but today found a large green cushion sea star. Really beautiful. There was a hole with two of the biggest lobsters I have ever seen peering out at me.

Right after we got back on board from our 2nd dive Darrel said the big Loggerhead turtle with the big barnacle on his left shoulder swam under the boat. Dang - missed him again.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board