AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Boat Sinks at Hol Chan Marine Reserve - 05/13/10 02:40 PM

Reports reached our office on Monday, May 10, about a boat that had sunk at the Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Upon making checks with both the Hol Chan Marine Reserve Office and the San Pedro Police Station, we were confirmed that a boat had run aground the reef.

According to the police report, at about 9:00 a.m. police was conducting sea patrols at the Hol Chan Marine Reserve along with a Fisheries Department officer, a blue boat with the name Bottom Time 1 was seen experiencing difficulties. Further checks were made and it was observed that the boat was sinking and crew members needed help.

With the sea being choppy and boat experiencing difficulties, the boat ran aground a shallow section of the reef and sank; as a result the Coast Guard Vessel was contacted where all nine tourist passenger, including the tour guide and captain were rescued. No one was injured.

The incident is being investigated by The Belize Port Authority, The Department of Environment and The Hol Chan Marine Reserve Office. Information will be posted on a later issue of the Ambergris Today as it becomes available.

Ambergris Today
Posted By: Keller Re: Boat Sinks at Hol Chan Marine Reserve - 05/14/10 07:24 AM
Bottom Time
Posted By: Gaz Cooper Re: Boat Sinks at Hol Chan Marine Reserve - 05/14/10 07:53 AM
Just goes to show just how tricky that reef is in rough conditions, over the years almost every dive op has had a close call or has lost a boat in similar situations. I can think of 5 right off the top of my head.

Gaz
Very true, but I suspect there was more to this one.
Posted By: Rykat Re: Boat Sinks at Hol Chan Marine Reserve - 05/15/10 02:19 PM
How was that picture taken? Just wondering.
With a camera!
Posted By: captjeff Re: Boat Sinks at Hol Chan Marine Reserve - 05/15/10 09:43 PM
Everybody loves a cute Ass ,Noboday likes a wise Ass..LOL.And I want a invite to your place up north .Want to check it out myself .And bet you would be the person to make that happen !!!!
Posted By: elbert Re: Boat Sinks at Hol Chan Marine Reserve - 05/15/10 10:14 PM
Diving from Ambergris Caye is no piece of cake.
The necessary reef crossing to get to the sites can be very hazardous.
It can happen to any of us and nothing makes you feel as bad a your boat sinking.
My heart goes out to BottomTime.
Glad no one was hurt and hope you guys get it back in shape quickly.
If I can help call me.
I would have a little more compassion if the boat hadn't tried to go out of the cut through the reef when the met office had issued a "small craft warning."

Do you know that, that the boat was heading outwards?
Small craft warning means no small craft should be operating. It doesn't mean small craft can operate within the reef. Now we all know that isn't practical, since folks live up and down the coast - but it should mean no taking guests out on dive, snorkeling and manatee watching tours.
Trouble is that warning has often been in place when it was quite safe to take boats out. A case of crying wolf..... In any case, it's far from clear that that was a primary factor in this incident.
I wonder how much the fine will be for damage to the reef.
there may not be any reef damage since they are in the cut (30 ft deep in some areas there.)
CaptJeff

The best way to get an invite is to book a room! The invite is formally called a travel voucher! LOL

Seriously it is hard to bring people up from town and get them back to town as our boats generally do the opposite. A lot of people stop in at our restaurant on fishing trips etc. PM me as to what you had in mind.

Cheers,
Carlos

As to try not to steal the thread.... That boat is clearly sitting on the reef.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Boat Sinks at Hol Chan Marine Reserve - 05/16/10 11:22 PM
Carlos sounds good Next trip when I go to rocky point I will stop by from fishing buy us both A drink and a peak at the place this way I can do both !!

And sorry to highjack this thread .Thats only if anyone cares LoL.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Boat Sinks at Hol Chan Marine Reserve - 05/19/10 05:26 AM
I care --- but don't object.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board