AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Bring protection if you can!

Posted By: collyk

Bring protection if you can! - 06/03/10 05:14 AM

I have just come back from an AIDS Commission meeting. There are so many good people here trying hard to educate, prevent and help those with HIV/AIDS. Often people here ask what they can bring with them to help. Have you ever thought of bringing a couple of boxes of condoms with you? They don't take up much space, are unlikely to attract the attention of customs and could actually save a life. So, if you want to bring something to help San Pedro, consider one or two boxes of condoms in your luggage. You'll be helping to protect generations to come. They can be dropped off at the Town Hall for the AIDS Commission to distribute free of charge.
Posted By: Windjammer

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/03/10 05:35 AM

Will do!
Posted By: Hon

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/03/10 01:46 PM

That's an easy one...check!
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/03/10 04:59 PM

If anyone has access to big quanities, you can have them shipped to me and I'll take with me in about a week.
Posted By: tortuga.chica

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/03/10 06:29 PM

I will be sure to squeeze a couple of boxes in my bags wink

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/03/10 06:30 PM

Ooops 2 weeks! frown Oh well at least I'm going!! smile

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/03/10 06:48 PM

You guys are amazing. The San Pedro Aids Commission thanks you!
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 12:02 AM

When I read the title of your post the first thing that came to mind over condoms was bug spray ha ha.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 12:22 AM

Haha. Different sort of protection but bug spray can also save lives.
Posted By: WarmBlueWater

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 04:18 AM

I'll do so too!

It will make an interesting counterpoint to the preschool reading books we are bringing for the library. wink
Posted By: catdance62

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 11:54 AM

Do they have the same thing in Placencia? A drop-off point?

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 01:40 PM

Brilliant WarmBlueWater. Thank you. Catdance, I have never heard of an AIDS Commission in Placencia, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I would suggest you contact the National AIDS Commission to find out. Their website is http://www.nacbelize.org/

I am so proud of our local AIDS Commission in San Pedro. There were 20 people at the last meeting and everyone is very committed. Look out for AIDS Commission stands at San Pedro Lobster Fest and Dia De San Pedro.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 02:28 PM

FYI: Sam's Club - 40 count box of condoms = $10 USD.

I am certain I can spare some money from by "Belize Fund" to help out the AIDS Commission in San Pedro.
Posted By: papashine

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 02:54 PM

biting my tongue...oh well... that comes to 25 cents each.
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by travelqueen
If anyone has access to big quanities, you can have them shipped to me and I'll take with me in about a week.

Would love to see the look on Customs man's face when he opens your suitcase! lol
Posted By: Rykat

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by phishhippiegirl
FYI: Sam's Club - 40 count box of condoms = $10 USD.

I am certain I can spare some money from by "Belize Fund" to help out the AIDS Commission in San Pedro.

sounds pretty cheap sure you're not looking in the party ballon section? :-)
Posted By: ckocian

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 03:32 PM

I'd think twice about buying those if "Made in China" is printed on the box.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 05:58 PM

Refer to attached link... they are not "party ballons" nor "made in china"!!

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=180348&_requestid=12918

Posted By: elbert

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 06:37 PM

I knew this thread was destined to go down hill.
If they are for Belize be sure they say XXL on the box!

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 06:58 PM

You're a cheeky cheekster.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 07:05 PM

On a more serious note, I should stress that most of the people seeking help from the San Pedro AIDS Commission are from the heterosexual community, where all indicators suggest, the epidemic is spreading the most quickly in Belize.

You can't tell if someone is positive by looking at them. Be safe, get tested and don't take risks.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 07:06 PM

I knew we would be going there.
I edited this so your thread doesn't get zapped ,but you heard me. :-0
Posted By: windsong

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 08:14 PM

The people at SBR do lots of things to help the local community and I can't think of a better cause than saving a life.

I have contacted the Sapphire Beach Resort team and they said $1,000 to your cause. To who and where should it go? They can make a deposit into the fund's account. Send me a PM with the details and they will make it happen next week.

Like us or not, the owners of the homes and the developers of SBR are committed to making a change for the positive in the lives of the Belizean community.

Keep up the good work.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 08:32 PM

I will pm you with details and let the President of the San Pedro AIDS Commission know to expect to hear from you. Thank you!

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 08:52 PM

You are most welcome.

The people at Sapphire Beach are ready to help make Belize a better, safer place for everyone. They know their future success depends on those very things.

I will email the other owners and see if they can help too.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 08:55 PM

Just called in the information and a check is on the way now. Good timing. The SBR guys are in town today.

Good job, keep it up.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 09:08 PM

Collyk, I get the message below when I try to PM you.
Your mail box seems to be full.
collyk is over their Private Topic limit.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/04/10 10:00 PM

whoops..sorry Elbert. I will fix it. Thanks for letting me know.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/07/10 08:30 PM

Jackpot! I got 4 40 count boxes at a local overstock store for $25! I told them why I was buying, and they said to check back, as they may be able to make me an even better deal. They are a name brand, and I checked expiration date, they are good through 2012.

Due to the quantity, would it be possible to get an email confirming the need? I think customs may be looking at me funny! Or maybe I should just tell them we are here for our anniversary. wink

Coreen

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/07/10 08:30 PM

Oops, double post...

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/07/10 08:48 PM

Thank you so much. I will check with the AIDS Commission President WarmBlueWater and see if he can help with a letter, though I really don't think Customs will bother you with condoms.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/07/10 08:51 PM

WarmBlueWater. Could you please PM me your email address so that I can arrange for a letter to be sent to you. Thanks again. This is wonderful.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/07/10 11:50 PM

Hi WarmBlueWater, we need your name as well so that we can address the letter to you. Please PM me. Thanks.
Posted By: Gaz Cooper

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/08/10 05:10 AM

delted

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/08/10 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by collyk
On a more serious note, I should stress that most of the people seeking help from the San Pedro AIDS Commission are from the heterosexual community, where all indicators suggest, the epidemic is spreading the most quickly in Belize.

You can't tell if someone is positive by looking at them. Be safe, get tested and don't take risks.

I would argue this point but I don't know the statistics on the infection rate on Ambergris Caye.

Where can these statistics be found do you guys have a website where they can be seen.

Originally Posted by Elbert
Originally Posted By: elbert
I knew this thread was destined to go down hill.
If they are for Belize be sure they say XXL on the box!

Is this big enough Elbert

http://www.mealors.btinternet.co.uk/p/b3ta/stevecondom.jpeg

Gaz

Posted By: Northern Canuck

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 01:54 AM

Not meaning to dump on collyk but I fail to see why it is necessary to differentiate between the heterosexual, bisexual and homosexual communites when asking for aid. ALL people in the third world irrespectinve of sex, age, colour, religion, sexual orientation etc. need help from those of us fortunate enough to be able to give. Would your plea be any different if HIV/AIDS was rampant in the homosexual community or more importantly, would the response be different? I agree with Gaz, where can we find the stats to support that statement?

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 02:35 AM

The National AIDS Commission Website is http://www.nacbelize.org/.

I don't recall any stats being given on AIDS infection in Belize by myself or anyone else on this thread. I did state a fact, presented by the President of the San Pedro AIDS Commission regarding the status of patients seeking assistance from us at this time. As far as I know, grants given to specific organisations for specific groups or purposes are only allowed to be used for those purposes. I am saddened that people are questioning the fact that heterosexual infection is a huge problem world wide and deeply concerned that this attitude is what contributes to its prevalence. Worldwide statistics, which anyone can google, show that HIV/AIDS is much more prevalent in the heterosexual community. Ignorance and stereotypes kill.

If you are interested in statistics about HIV/AIDS in Belize, some stats are available here:
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2007/wom1637.doc.htm
here:
http://www.worldywca.org/en/Events/AIDS-Conference/AIDS-2008/AIDS-2008-Women-s-Networking-Zone
here:
http://www.who.int/hiv/HIVCP_BLZ.pdf
here:
http://www.ifrc.org/docs/Appeals/annual08/Belizecountrysheet_FINAL.pdf
here:
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2007/wom1637.doc.htm

This is an interesting extract from another document:

"Heterosexual transmission. The epidemic in the Caribbean region, particularly in the
countries already reporting high rates of prevalence, is fueled by heterosexual sex. At the
beginning of the epidemic in the region, more men than women were infected, but this is
quickly changing. In Haiti and the Dominican Republic, HIV/AIDS affects men and women
equally, with a 1:1 male-to-female ratio of infections. In other countries, this ratio is now
above 2 to1: 3.6:1 in Dominica, 3.3:1 in Barbados, 2.8:1 in Antigua, and 2.4:1 in Trinidad.
In 1985 the ratio for these countries was estimated to be approximately 4:1. Self-reported
heterosexual contact is now acknowledged as the main route of HIV transmission and
accounts for the majority of HIV infections and AIDS cases in the Caribbean, representing
64% of all AIDS cases in CAREC member countries.
Infection among women and vertical transmission. Of particular concern is the
dramatic and constant increase of HIV/AIDS among Caribbean women. The region now
has one of the highest rates of new AIDS cases among women in the sub-regions of the
Western Hemisphere. Women are at greater risk of contracting HIV in both biological and
social terms, as they are both physically more vulnerable and often have little or no power to
negotiate safer sex practices with their male partners. As the number of HIV infected
women grows, the number of children born with HIV infection also increases. Vertical
(mother-to-child) transmission follows the increase in the number of cases among women,
and today represents 6% of all reported cases. Though various low-cost, effective
treatments are now available for the prevention of transmission from mother to child, in the
absence of such intervention, approximately 25-30% of children born to HIV-infected
mothers will be infected with the virus. As prevention of transmission from mother to child
becomes more economically feasible, reexamination of prevention priorities and allocation
of resources at national level will be required."
http://www.caricom.org/jsp/projects/hiv-aidsstrategicframework.pdf

Posted By: A C

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 03:14 AM

How

Only seems to make common sense that the majority of the AIDS problem is heterosexual. Especially here. I mean with all the people that sleep around with each other (and theres a lot of them), the tourists that come in and leave just as quickly, and the obvious lack of birth control use in general how could one think its more of a homosexual problem. I think its always been easier for straight people to say "oh your WAY more likely to get that if you are gay" Or "oh aids is bad in africa and other countries" we say these things because they make us feel safe to go do what we do with no consequences or thought. Aids is a REAL problem, straight/gay/black/white/belize/america whatever. If you are gonna be with multiple people and one night stands you need to KNOW its a real problem, and protect yourself in turn.

my 2 cents* smile

AC

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 03:47 AM

[Linked Image]

best aids ad you will EVER see.

AC

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 04:13 AM

First off let me clarify that i am in total agreement, use a condom and protect yourself.

Now i will be controversial and tell of my REAL LIFE experiences of this subject and its the truth with regards to Hetrosexual activitys as I know nothing about the other types, and that is why I am commenting on what I know.

Whether you agree with it or not I am going to tell you of the goings on in a very high risk scenario

I am attached so it does not concern me, however I have lots of mates that are single and NON of them use Condoms when they sleep around, and a tiny fraction of the girls they sleep with insist on condoms and I mean a tiny fraction maybe one out of ten.

These guys are dogs, meaning they sleep around with multiple sex partners weekly and there sex partners for sure have sex with a different guy every night as they are working girls.

I have spent the past 2 years traveling around SE Asia diving riding my Harley etc and I have used Thailand as the base for this and if you don't know, Thailand has a huge sex industry with bars and girls freely available for just a few dollars.

The guys I am talking about are at the highest risk possible as their partners are in the sex industry and the girls probably sleep with a different guy every night and I can only presume if they don't make my friends wear condoms they don't with other customers..

These guys have been living in Thailand for 6 to 8 years sleeping around with prostitutes without using a condom, now I cant think of anyone that would be more at risk of contracting HIV yet none of these guys are positive. they get checked as its cheap and easy to do and they are clear.

Are they Lucky ? i guess so because I have a good friend whom is in my Pool team, that is hetrosexual who is HIV positive, and he is not a promiscuous guy and has been married to the same lady when he contracted it.

He has been married to an infected person for 4 years before he contracted it from her, she knew she had it but did not tell him because it would mean everyone would avoid her and look down on her.

It took 2 years of living with her as man and wife for him to catch it from an infected woman.

Another case which I heard of here was a guy that came and took a lady back to live with him in the states and was married for 6 years and then contracted HIV from his Thai wife whom he had been married for the past 6 years, she also knew she had HIV but did not tell him, it took 6 years living as man and wife for him to contract it. She was imprisoned in the states for her actions.

I have also heard of several girls dying of Aids so it is definately spreading via hetrosexual sex but seems to be a very small percentage and that women are way more at risk.

I think it also has to be said that Thai guys often sleep with whats called Ladyboys and that basically is homosexual sex and then they go back to sleep with lady,s increasing the risk.

The reality is very few guys wear condoms and very few women insist they wear one.

In my experience the indications are it is very difficult for a man to contract HIV from a woman where as the other way round its quite easy for a Woman to contract from a man.

I see there is statistical data to show that is the case too.

http://www.aids.org/factsheets/610-Women-and-HIV.html

The attitude is from all the guys I have spoken too who sleep around with working girls is they don't believe its a threat as they have slept around for years and years with high risk partners without so much as a case of VD and they still think it is a homosexual disease as those are the majority of those infected.

(thats not my view just telling you what I am told.)

Gaz

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 04:18 AM

The really scary thing is Gaz, is that some of those guys may well be positive but aren't getting tested because they don't believe they could catch it. It is the confident, 'it will never happen to me' attitudes that are the problem. Are they lucky? Who knows. Will they ever get tested? Who knows. If they are positive, they are actively infecting all of the women they are having unprotected sex with. Not to mention the unwanted pregnancies.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 04:48 AM

Its interesting that NO statistics are given on the Belize Aids site no numbers NOTHING.

I would like to see the infection rate and numbers and demographics of those infected.

Colly do you have info on those figures

Gaz

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 04:58 AM

Gaz, why don't you join the AIDS Commission? Then you can help them with their website and with grant writing to gather up to date data. As you know, it is all about volunteerism, time and money. I'm afraid that as a member of the San Pedro AIDS Commission I have no more access to data than you do, but I do think that the links I provided give a pretty good insight. Perhaps you could put together a fact sheet for them.

All I did was ask if people could donate condoms. I thought that was a good thing. I didn't expect to be held to task on statistics. Facts and figures don't save lives, safe sex and condoms do.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 08:44 AM

Facts and figures don't save lives, safe sex and condoms do.

amen

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gaz Cooper
Its interesting that NO statistics are given on the Belize Aids site no numbers NOTHING.

I would like to see the infection rate and numbers and demographics of those infected.

Colly do you have info on those figures

Gaz

hard to get numbers if no one is testing ;\

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 03:19 PM

Can people in Belize be tested for HIV/AIDS without charge? Is it covered by the national health plan?

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 03:26 PM

HIV/AIDS testing is free and confidential in Belize. Unfortunately, due to ignorance and 'it can't happen to me attitudes', the uptake is not what it should be.
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 03:38 PM

Unlike in Britain, at least some years ago. When I had to have an operation, I was told that a routine test for the surgeon's protection was an HIV test, but they needed my written permission to perform it. I agreed, but so long as they told me the result. They informed me that they were not allowed to tell me. I said that in that case they couldn't do the test. I'm sure they went ahead anyway once I was anaesthetised. Hopefully their internal procedures have improved a bit since then!

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 03:56 PM

Glad to hear that the testing is free and confidential in Belize. In Canada a positive HIV test (and many others)is a reportable disease and must be reported to Public Health by the physician and the lab then Public Health takes over. CBC (blood collection agency) also routinely tests each donor. No way a positive test result could be hidden. Hopefully Britain has moved ahead.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 04:00 PM

I think also that people don't want to know if they've been affected. Some people probably have that fear in the back of their minds but don't want to find out in fear that the results will be +.

Just for kicks I was tested at Dr. Danny's office (not that I have anything to fear!) and it was a quick 5 minute process.

I encourage everyone to get tested.

Now, back to condoms... whos sending them to me and can I take a cut off the top?? K,thx smile
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by travelqueen

Now, back to condoms... whos sending them to me and can I take a cut off the top?? K,thx smile

TQ, if you cut off the top, they won't do much good for their intended purpose! Just sayin' . . .
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 07:08 PM

Maybe SAGA could use them as small animal muzzles.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/09/10 08:09 PM

Haaaa KC! Good point... no pun intended. wink
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/10/10 01:58 AM

Awww, I want so bad to say it, but.....................

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/10/10 05:07 AM

Gaz, why don't you join the AIDS Commission? Then you can help them with their website and with grant writing to gather up to date data. As you know, it is all about volunteerism, time and money. I'm afraid that as a member of the San Pedro AIDS Commission I have no more access to data than you do, but I do think that the links I provided give a pretty good insight. Perhaps you could put together a fact sheet for them.

All I did was ask if people could donate condoms. I thought that was a good thing. I didn't expect to be held to task on statistics. Facts and figures don't save lives, safe sex and condoms do.

My apologies Colly I thought you were part of the commissionand would know the information I did not realize you were just asking for condoms

Sorry if you misundertood me in no way was I attacking you.

Gaz
Posted By: Megan Martinez

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/10/10 11:01 PM

Ok I do I join the aids commission as a volunteer?
Posted By: Megan Martinez

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/10/10 11:01 PM

i mean how do i?!

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 06/10/10 11:19 PM

Hi StrongGial,

Contact Felix Ayuso, President of the San Pedro AIDS Commission at the Town Board. You can call them on 226 2198 during office hours. I know they appreciate and welcome all new members.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 07/20/10 02:07 PM

We've had a number of condoms donated by friendly visitors - along with some very funny stories about encounters with Customs. So please try to remember to bring some 'rubber johnnies' if you can.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 07/20/10 02:26 PM

A good english term LOL

Gaz
Posted By: jilco

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 07/20/10 07:14 PM

I was thinking the same thing. DEET is a must for me, they eat me alive down there!

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 07/21/10 12:37 AM

I know Gaz, I couldn't help myself from using it. It is such a lovely little phrase and we can't use the term 'rubbers' as in the UK of course that word has a completely different meaning.

Unfortunately Deet doesn't do much to prevent HIV/AIDS.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 07/21/10 12:42 AM

slather mounds of it on and it likely will prevent anyone from wanting to get close enough to where contraction of HIV/AIDS would even be a possibilty.......
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 07/21/10 10:15 AM

As I recall Gaz was the pioneer in touting protection with condoms. He even brought some vending machines to the island with the intention of having them installed in some night clubs, bars etc. I think there is still a machine at the town hall.

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 07/21/10 11:00 AM

yes very true about 15 years ago

my logo was a map of Belize with a cartoon of Captain Condom and it said

Captain Condom
Covering Belize for your safety smile

Gaz

Posted By: Marty

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 07/21/10 01:47 PM

hey Gaz, i'd like to see a copy of that logo!!! still have one anywhere?

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 07/21/10 02:22 PM

I dont Marty, I believe I have one at the X wifes house in Holland but wont be there till later in the year

basically it was a cut out of the country of Belize with all the areas marked and captain condom hands on hips chest out, super imposed over the map with text Captain Condom at the top and Covering Belize for your safety on the bottom,

It was quite funny and a nice souvenir at the time but Customs were not too accomodating and nailed me with duty so it was not worth continuing with it

Gaz

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 07/21/10 02:43 PM

If your wondering how Captain Condom came to Earth this is a little video explaining.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMgYr5TJGdM
Posted By: seashell

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 07/26/10 08:16 AM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38311192/ns/health-aids/

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 08/07/10 10:10 PM

Hi all,

After an inspiring meeting of the San Pedro AIDS Commission last week, I thought I'd just remind everyone why this is so important and why I hope everyone finds a place in his/her case to bring down some condoms. This week the Amandala, national newspaper reported on the leading cause of death in Belize as being Diabetes. This is awful news for everyone - but even more concerning (as this disease is sexually transmitted and therefore easily preventable) was the news that "HIV/AIDS is listed as the third leading cause of death in the country...". You can read the full article here Amandala article
Posted By: Scuba-John

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 08/26/10 11:38 PM

Marty I would be careful Captain Condom is registered trade mark
http://www.captaincondom.ca/index.html
since 1994 16 years plus.

Better check it out as I did not know Harley was now making the 2008 Vulcan 900 (Kawasaki)
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/97851-i-paid-13-200-my-stock-900-a.html

Re: Bring protection if you can! - 11/03/10 04:22 PM

It's nearly World AIDS Day - 1 December. So please don't forget to put some condoms in your luggage to donate to the San Pedro AIDS Commission. They don't take up much room and they save lives!
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board