AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Our beautiful beaches on "La Isla Bonita" have been through a lot; whether its Mother Nature sending us some sort of tropical depression, storm or hurricane to batter or lovely coastline or the residents that are constantly riding up and down the beach, adding to the deteriorating conditions.

The San Pedro Town Council believes it's time to repair our beautiful beach for all of us to enjoy - tourist, locals and especially the children. Councilor Nano Guerrero met with Ambergris Today and explained to us what their plans are.

"We have put much thought into this plan and believe it's the best thing we can do for the preservation of our beach," commented Mr. Guerrero. According to him, the street starting from Wet Willy's on the beachside all the way to Boca del Rio will become a one way street (Northern direction) and will be 15 feet wide. The street is intended for the traffic of golf carts only. No taxis or other vehicles will be allowed on the street.

These 15 feet of road will start from the property line heading towards the beach; it will then be marked with coconut trees. The San Pedro Town Council is welcoming ideas and suggestions. Feel free to contact the mayor or councilors at 226-2198 or send a letter to the office of the San Pedro Town Council.

Ambergris Today

If they are closing the street to car/truck traffic, I wonder why the need to also make it one way, if it will be used only by golf carts, bicycles and pedestrians.
So you have to come back south via the road. Would probably cut off all traffic on the road side if it was two way. That's just my thought. If it stayed two way, I would never go the street side, it's just too nice of a drive! Businesses on the street side would suffer. This is just my guess.
They have to do something to improve the road from the circle to the bridge!
There will be a problem with the property owner/residents along the beachfront who presently drive regular vehicles...they won't willingly give them up.
The beach road has been two way forever already and hasn't cut off all traffic on the interior street route (shuffles). The change will be that ALL south-bound traffic will be forced to go down the interior street route, making it a little more congested. At least letting the golf carts and bikes continue on the beach road would alleviate a little of the increased interior street traffic. I'm all for decreasing beach erosion caused by large vehicles on the beach, just don't agree with not letting golf carts and bicyles go both ways on the beach road.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Think both avenues should be both ways....just suggesting what might have been in the minds of those who made the decision.
I think that the beach should be closed to all traffic. You don't save a beach by promoting vehicle use on it
Originally Posted by shuffles
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Think both avenues should be both ways....just suggesting what might have been in the minds of those who made the decision.

Yes, I understand your point too. Just pointing out that the beach road is already a two-way and does not at this time diminish the interior street traffic to zero. Plenty of people use both roads.
Originally Posted by pamkillen
I think that the beach should be closed to all traffic. You don't save a beach by promoting vehicle use on it

I was thinking the same thing.

Who wants any motorized traffic of any type going in any direction on the beach?

Close the road completely and make it a scenic walkway.

If the road was closed completely, how would the people who own homes which front on the beach but do not back on to the road access their property?
That has been the stumbling block all along whenever anyone wants to close the beach road altogether...it can't be done as many homes don't have any other access.
How about a sticker or something like hadicap plackard for those who live there as a private drive scenerio.
And who would enforce that?
1 beach cop. 1st offense $20.00, 2nd $200.00 - Good income for the town. Does nothing but write tickets. Only gets a % of the tickets he writes. Cuts the graft to Zero, maybe.
Great enforcement! Like the speed limits, the littering, the drunk driving, you name it...lots of laws...no enforcement..ever!
Oh, and I forgot...a bunch of influential San Pedro people who will get this beach cop fired if he dares to challenge them!
The road was blocked at Wet Willy's, the High School, Patojo's, opened by Milo's and then blocked the rest of the way. It was working great, only those people that needed to have larger vehicles on the beach were using it and only the the occasional taxi.

Someone took down one of the posts by Wet Willy's and within a few days it was a high speed highway again.

The people who have had the beach at their doorstep are not going to be happy about having a road right up against their homes (for me it will be 6' from my front window). At least now most of the traffic is 20 or 30' away and they can sit on the beach in front of their houses.
Best to just leave it alone..as is!
^That's because you dont live in this area Jesse and don't see the issues on a daily basis. Something has to be done.

I have always thought the best action is to close the beach road to all traffic in both directions. No through traffic at all. This can be done by blocking the road in the middle of each block with plants trees etc. Everyone would still have access to the beach and their homes but no through traffic.

My guess on the reasoning for one way traffic is that it requires a narrower road and therefore less of the beach as there are set dimensions for Roads.

Laguna Drive (round-a-bout to Bridge) would need some work but show me a non cobbled Street in San Pedro that doesn't although this is one of the major throughfares and next on the list for paving.

The beach front home owners in that area should be the ones to decide what is best for that area.

If I owned a house there I would gladly walk/bike to my house in exchange for no motorized traffic between my doorstep and the beach.
And where would everyone (securely) park their vehicles?

You are correct, the owners should have been consulted but the ones I talked to had heard nothing about this proposal nor had they been consulted.
Owners should be consulted - also fire department.

Originally Posted by Phil
I have always thought the best action is to close the beach road to all traffic in both directions. No through traffic at all. This can be done by blocking the road in the middle of each block with plants trees etc. Everyone would still have access to the beach and their homes but no through traffic.

You can't block all the roads. Emergency vehicles must have unimpeded access.......fire trucks, etc.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. Block the Beach Road from the middle of each block to the Water - nicely with plants and trees and drift wood, not bright orange metal barriers !!!! This then gives everyone access to the beach, all homeowners access to their house with a vehicle via one side Street, and it allows access for Fire/Emergency to every house. It stops all through traffic.

It would cost less than the current plan, have the same effect and wouldn't upset everyone who will have to cut down all their trees and plants in front of their houses and have the road right against their bedroom windows.
That I totally agree with!
Phil's idea sounds EXCELLENT.
I have a home on the beach in Boca del Rio and I totally agree with Phil. The beach should be for everyone's enjoyment w/o having to dodge golf carts, etc. I usually drive the beach road simply because of the view & temperature difference but I would gladly stop to have it more parklike.
Phil, I really think you should present this idea to the powers that be! It's totally workable. In addition to the benefits that others have mentioned, the lack of a through road also may deter the relentless timeshare hounding that happens on that stretch of beach.
Phil, that is an excellent idea. Easy to do. Quick. Inexpensive. Thank you
julie
That is an excellent idea! Why didn't I think of that?
I like your idea Phil - it would be great if you would submit it to the town council.
Excellent idea Phil! Stops through traffic, looks beautiful and planted close enough to the water will help with erosion. Are you sure Marie didn't think of it first? smile just teasin'!
I also thought it sounded like a good idea so I called a Town Councilor. He said they had considered that plan but had seen too many potential problems where it meets the sea. He agreed that there should have been more public consultation , it seems as always a few knew about it but not all. Still sounds like a good idea and should be written up with drawing and submitted anyway, I think.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board