AmbergrisCaye.com Home

San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift

Posted By: Short

San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/29/10 10:35 PM

SAN PEDRO NEW AND IMPROVED

[Linked Image] Belize's premier tourist destination will get a facelift soon, Six Million dollars worth! That's the sum being spent through a loan funded by the IDB to spruce up the look of La Isla Bonita, San Pedro. The money will be invested in a boardwalk stretching two thousand feet along the water-front, and transforming the back lagoon area of San Pedro Town. A press release from the office of the Belize Tourism Board says, the development will incorporate a multi-purpose pier, housing international and domestic water taxi terminals, and also a small scale shopping center. The project which is expected to revitalize the area should provide a destination for both tourists and locals, and the design of the boardwalk is intended to promote an atmosphere of leisure and relaxation, while maintaining the identity of San Pedro Town.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=17446
Posted By: Mike Campbell

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/29/10 10:38 PM

And San Mateo?

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 12:20 AM

$6Mil Makeover for Old Football Field & Embarcadero
Contract signed with local architectural firm

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] Under the Sustainable Tourism Program, over $6 million Bze of IDB funding, will be invested in a boardwalk stretching 2000 linear feet along the water–front and transforming the back lagoon area of San Pedro Town. The development will incorporate a multipurpose pier housing international and domestic water taxi terminals and small scale shopping. A destination for tourists and locals, the boardwalk will be designed to promote an atmosphere of leisure and relaxation; maintaining the identity of San Pedro Town, while revitalizing the surrounding area.

Local architectural firm International Environments Ltd. based in Belize City was awarded the contract for the feasibility, planning, and design of the Sunset Pier and Boardwalk based on the strength of their technical and price proposals. Today Principal Daniel Arguelles signed off on the $ 482,500 Bz agreement with the Ministry of Tourism and the Belize Tourism Board. IE was one of 12 firms from the local and international arena who expressed an interest in this challenging under–taking. Their experienced, professionals have stated a strong commitment to developing a driver of future economic growth for San Pedro Town, creating further commercial and tourism opportunities and encouraging local ownership of the development.

[Linked Image] IE's team will carry out detailed marine and geotechnical investigations, social environmental studies and economic analysis, contributing to the final blueprints. A manual will also be developed to guide sustainable operations thus ensuring an efficient an successful public amenity for the future. The planning phase will span five months, setting the stage for construction to begin early next year.

Funding for the US$15million Sustainable Tourism Program is provided by the Government of Belize through an IDB loan, and from the Belize Tourism Board. For more information about the program please contact the Project Coordinating Unit at [email protected]

http://www.ambergristoday.com/html/archives.php?p=072910#_st1
Posted By: sandyb

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 12:33 AM

Sounds wonderful! But...
I sure hope the next step is not bringing cruise ships in.

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 12:39 AM

Boardwalk for San Pedro underway

[Linked Image] On Tuesday July 27, the Ministry of Tourism, the Belize Tourism Board and International Environments Ltd. (IE)., a local architectural firm, signed off on a $482,500 dollar agreement for the designing of a 2000 foot long boardwalk in San Pedro Town.

The boardwalk will be constructed along with a multi-purpose pier to accommodate international and domestic water taxi terminals along with small scale shopping operations in the back lagoon area of San Pedro Town.

The project is part of a six million dollar Sustainable Tourism Program which is being funded by the Inter-American Development Bank and which will see similar tourism oriented developments taking place in other parts of the country, including Placencia, Belize City and other destinations.

The San Pedro development is expected to become a destination for tourists and locals with the boardwalk being designed to promote an atmosphere of leisure and relaxation; maintaining the identity of San Pedro Town, while revitalizing the surrounding area.

The architectural firm IE is one of 12 local and international firms who bid for the project. Under the contract, IE will conduct detailed marine and geotechnical investigations, social environmental studies and economic analysis, in order to contribute to the final blueprints for the project. A manual will also be developed to guide sustainable operations in the new developed area to ensure an efficient and successful public amenity for the future. The planning phase will span five months. Construction will commence early in 2011.

http://www.guardian.bz/component/content/article/53-headlines/2111-boardwalk-for-san-pedro-underway
Posted By: SimonB

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 01:02 AM

Bleachers? Softball Diamond? Room and access to haul up boats for hurricanes? Hopefully they're taking these "little" things into account...
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 01:04 AM

A full-sized football pitch...and provision for all the one-time street vendors.

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 01:33 AM

How can we justify this when we have San Mateo. How much did we spend on the concrete pier in town? $2M if I remember right. To make this project happen they will have to dredge. That should be going to San Mateo. When the residents bought those lots from GOB they reasonably expected them to be improved.
Are they saying that people will come to San Pedro to see the boardwalk? Again no kind of consultation. We have people living in the swamp and residential roads that go underwater flooding septics and we spend $6M for a boardwalk on the lagoon which will never be as nice as walking on the beach.
I am embarrassed at the waste of funds. We cannt fix San Mateo or the other flooded areas but we can do this? Oh well just a bunch of poor people so who cares. $12,000 would fill a lot in San Mateo. $6M could do so much for us.
We have developed beyond our infrastructure. We have no paved roads in residential areas, no hurricane shelter or civic center and we have needed all these things for years but we will have a $6M boardwalk..
Posted By: bywarren

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 01:42 AM

Out of all the things I could think of that San Pedro needs, crime control, infrastucture, etc, etc, etc, a board walk would not be at the top of my list.
But it is good to know that they are spending almost a half million dollers with a "local" architect firm to
"IE will conduct detailed marine and geotechnical investigations, social environmental studies and economic analysis, in order to contribute to the final blueprints for the project."
At least they are doing more to protect the enviornment than they would do if it were just another proposed condo or housing development. Yea right frown

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 02:05 AM

If you don't like this you need to attack the IDB funding...then we won't get any $ at all.

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 02:12 AM

I think the extending the road (that now goes through the football field) is a smart move. This area can use some rehabilitation, it is an area where the local youth plays sports and adding a market place in San Pedro is long overdue. I but get second thoughts when I see the rows of Royal Palms (they don't grow on the island) and the green grass in a low laying area next to the salt sea on an island where fresh water is scarce and expensive.

Mike, how can the people who bought (very cheap) lots in San Mateo "reasonably expect them to be improved"? That is why they were so cheap! When I buy swamp land from the government, can I also reasonably expect it to be improved on the taxpayer's expense years later? Come on, think real!

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 02:15 AM

OK, Jesse. So enlighten us. Does the loan come with provisions that it is to be spent on a boardwalk, or is this decided by someone in Belize? And if so, Who made this decision?

Also Short, "When I buy swamp land from the government, can I also reasonably expect it to be improved on the taxpayer's expense years later?"
Is not the real question - Should the GOB be selling swamp land?

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 03:04 AM

I personally have echoed your buyer beware statements before. Regardless, however misguided they were I think that the purchasers expected the govt. to supply basic services and some have been supplied. I am raising this issue in hopes that the GOB will see fit to fix the place or move the people out. It was the GOB that promoted and sold a substandard development and should be held accountable.
I do realize that this loan was not for that purpose but the world bank just $30M for roads none of which came here. I will be very surprised to see a San Pedro company get this job.

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 03:07 AM

What San Pedro Company is even remotely capable of performing this job?
Posted By: Keller

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 03:27 AM

It should help somewhat for traffic flow and good for the local economy.

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 03:48 AM

Jesse we build piers and docks and seawalls all the time. Setting pavers is no big deal if done right. The little building looks like a 2 story affair and we build 3 story condos all the time. What do you think would be difficult about that job? No way that 6 mil will reach San Pedro, bet on it. There must be much more to reach $6M.

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 03:58 AM

I am not sure about it having an effect on the local economy. The only way that will be true is if San Pedro gets the job. Most Belize firms bring their own workers. There is a definite maintenance cost in this that must be considered or we will be very very sorry. Looks like we are proposing to build something we can not maintain.
Posted By: samray

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 02:35 PM

"The project is part of a six million dollar Sustainable Tourism Program which is being funded by the Inter-American Development Bank and which will see similar tourism oriented developments taking place in other parts of the country, including Placencia, Belize City and other destinations."

"No way that 6 mil will reach San Pedro, bet on it. "

6 mil for all of Belize...San Pedro gets some...whats the problem?

"I am not sure about it having an effect on the local economy. The only way that will be true is if San Pedro gets the job. Most Belize firms bring their own workers."

I am 100% positive that IE will hire workers from San Pedro, they have done so in the past.
Posted By: cracked up

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 02:41 PM

Is the artists rendering of the project from IE?

I am sure local contractors will be offered to submit bids, and as MC says,there are several capable builders here.
Posted By: Katie Valk

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 03:00 PM

This is part of the larger tourism infrastructure project being funded by IDB and includes this project in San Pedro, as well as similiar projects in Placencia, San Ignacio and Belize City. Its not an either/or funding, meaning San Pedro is getting this $ for the tourism project instead of much needed upgrades for housing for the poor. This money was applied for and granted for tourism thru the BTB.

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 03:34 PM

There is no question that after a tourist gets robbed, can't take a shower or run the air conditioning for lack of water and power, that after a stroll along the boardwalk they will return and tell their friends how wonderful Belize is.
There are limited resources available to Belize. To use them in this manner is just plain stupid.
The operative word is "PRIORITIES".
Improving the crime situation, infrastructure and controlling development will go much further to improving tourism than a fricking boardwalk.
Posted By: chris45

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 03:42 PM

Mike: you are right. Improving tourism while the residents of San Mateo wade through foul water, while children die of septicemia is uncaring. Wherever the funding comes from, this shows that the tourism industry on San Pedro does not care about those effectively disenfranchised.
And before anyone asks, yes I have been to San Mateo, have you?

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 03:44 PM

So we should refuse the IDB funds????

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 03:50 PM

NO just find a better use for them. Duh!
Posted By: Barnacle

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 03:56 PM

i tend to agree.
right now the V.C. in placencia is actively soliciting donations from everyone to fund the police force.
i have never understood this. what i believe to be one of if the most important dept, and they have no money?

edit: but we get a pier.

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 03:59 PM

I am now unclear. I have reread the articles and see that they specifically say $6M for San Pedro (out of a $15M total) and the planning contract for $400K+ is for San Pedro although there are posts saying we only get part of that. Which is it?
There was a public consultation on this last year and BTB was involved. I spoke to one town councilor that had argued for fixing the area some but spending the bulk on roads. It seems that was a possibility at the time as that is certainly tourism related. However he did not get his way and the money will be spent for the board walk.
It is priorities plain and simple. This appears to be a Ministry decision, bad decision.
The contracts will be awarded by GOB not by IE. IE is a fair employer and would offer the contracts probably to San Pedro first but they are only the planner.
We must watch this carefully.

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 04:14 PM

Yes it's crazy that we raise private funds to give to the police. Truth is about half the police budget is wasted on supporting senior police structure in Belmopan, not to mention all the running back and forth to Belmopan. If Placencia is paying them they should be responsible to the people of Placencia.
Our police system needs a complete overhaul. The existing structure can not even train an officer to collect evidence. Thats why we have a murder conviction rate of 7%. Untrained police and prosecutors with less legal education than the defense attorneys are two major problems.
Posted By: Barnacle

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 04:30 PM

i think the main reason for this latest fund drive is to repair their one and only P-O-S car they sometimes have.
Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 05:38 PM

Where is the 2000' of boardwalk?
I see about 500' in the photo.

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 06:23 PM

2,000' is probably all the way to the gas station.
Posted By: padennis

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 07:09 PM

As being an outsider looking in but caring for the people of A.C.
This concept seems to be a good idea.Not only will the open air market spaces benefit the local vendors it brings people to the back of the island and perhaps open up peoples eyes to some of the issues there (outsiders). Nobody has even mentioned the fact that the people of A.C. are getting a new football field.This benefits the locals and not the tourists.Hopefully locals from all economic situations can enjoy.This message board was just recently complaining about the state of S.P. current football field.Yes S.P. faces many issues that need GOB support but atleast this money is being spent in S.P.
Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 07:11 PM

I hope they consulted the fishermen if they are going all the way to Carabena. There is a lot of activity along that stretch. I smell a demonstration coming. Get the signs out.
Posted By: collyk

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 07:32 PM

San Pedro has a stadium where football is played on a regular basis. I wonder what the plan would be for the stadium with a new fooball field in town. I'd miss hearing the roaring crowd on weekends. Creates a great atmosphere.
Posted By: JPADILLA666

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 07:47 PM

san pedro would be nice to have a football team first division, would attract much public.

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/30/10 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by padennis
it brings people to the back of the island and perhaps open up peoples eyes to some of the issues there (outsiders).

It would be much better if the Town Board opened its eyes to the "issues" of San Pedro than exposing them to "outsiders".
Posted By: padennis

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/31/10 02:14 PM

Agreed, but never underestimate the power of concerned tourists and the internet. If the town board thinks bad press on a global scale will negativly impact island tourism the issues may be viewed more urgently.

Re: San Pedro gets 6 Million Dollar Facelift - 07/31/10 02:48 PM

I am skeptical based on what the Town Board has approved or turned a blind eye to in the past. Further, it is a sad commentary if it takes tourists to motivate those responsible for the future of the island. frown
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board