AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Holy Cross needs a proper road access

Posted By: Marty

Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 02:12 PM

[Linked Image] The Director of the Holy Cross Anglican School, Vernon Wilson, is calling on the Mayor of San Pedro Town, Elsa Paz and the Area Representative and Minister of Tourism, Civil Aviation and Culture, Honorable Manuel Heredia to take on the responsibility of building an adequate road access to the school. The director's call came shortly after the school began experiencing accessibility problems following localized flooding left behind by the rainy conditions and constant high tides.

In a letter to the local media, Mr. Wilson of Holy Cross stated that "It has been over four years since Holy Cross Anglican School opened its doors at the request of the Mayoress and the Honorable Minister Heredia. Over this time, the Town (Town Council) has donated six truck loads of sand to the school." Wilson claimed that thus far, the school has had to deal with several problems without the support of the Mayor and the Minister, specifically with the construction of an adequate access road to the school. Holy Cross has over 500 students enrolled and Wilson claims that without the road, parents and children have to wade through water and London bridges to get to school every occasion that it rains or when there is a high tide.

Wilson, who is currently out of the country, told The Sun that over $4 million dollars has been invested in the construction and infrastructure of the school. This is of course through generous donors and personal investments. The aforementioned figure of course, does not include expenses to run the school over the past four years. Wilson explained, "Everyone knows that the water in San Mateo is highly contaminated. Hence the road is an urgent matter and the problem belongs to the Mayor and the Minister. They need to take responsibility to build an adequate road." So far Wilson has secured an adequate stretch of land to be used as a road that would lead to the school.

Minister Heredia, for his part, stated that, "I agree that I told Wilson about the need of another school before Holy Cross was built, but I did not say to him that we will build the school. We told him that we would help as much as we (the government) can." When asked why it is that Holy Cross has not seen that help, Minister Heredia explained that, "it has been tough for the Town Council side and for our Government, we are trying our best to help but we can just do as much as our resources allow us to do." Minister Heredia however fired back at Wilson claiming that, "If Wilson was a bit more flexible, he would have gotten all the help that Holy Cross needed." Minister Heredia stated that investor Jeff Pierce of Reef Village had offered landfill to the school plus an additional acre of land, an offer that Wilson has allegedly turned down time and time again.

Wilson claims that the offer made by Pierce was after the current administration gave Pierce property title to a parcel of land measuring 12.94 acres in March of 2008. The property was originally assigned for school expansion under the auspices of former Land Minister Honorable John Briceño. Minister Heredia clarified that Minister Briceño designated the area for school expansion but his successor (Florencio Marin Sr.) leased out the property to one Alex Nuñez who in turn sold to Pierce. Minister Heredia explained that Pierce applied for the property title after he had built condos and sold them to third parties. The title was approved by the current administration. "Ministers Gaspar Vega, Patrick Faber and Heredia had promised that they would have taken away the land from Pierce and return it to the school, but again they have failed," explained Wilson. When asked why the current administration approved the title instead of returning it to the school Heredia explained that, "a caution was placed on the property, but Pierce had already built and paid for it. We explained to Wilson that the Government did not have the money to reacquire the land, nor would it be feasible to do it. Pierce was willing to assist the school with land fill plus return an acre of land, something that was also turned down."

Wilson also stated that Mayor Paz had originally committed to assist the school with landfill at an affordable price of $140.00 per truck load. He went on to say that it took the Town Council over a year to allow a school cab over the bridge to transport students especially in deplorable weather conditions. Mayor Paz in her defense stated that the Council owns no landfill material and in fact has to purchase it for the municipality's use. Paz went on to explain that she had offered to talk to the suppliers to assist the school with material at cost price. That offer, Wilson claims, never materialized. As for the building of the road, Mayor Paz stated that her jurisdiction has nothing to do with schools. She added that the Town Council will not invest in any road if the government has not assigned the access area as an official road/street.

Wilson stated that even if the relevant authorities do not have the required funds to build the urgently needed access road, the beaches always need to be cleaned of debris which can be used as land fill for a dry road. Wilson stated that, "All I am asking is for them (Mayor Paz and Minister Heredia) to take responsibility and build the road." He ended his letter by stating that, "It is time for a change and the time is now." Holy Cross Anglican School, which is located in one of the most undeveloped areas on Ambergris Caye, is run by the Anglican Dioceses. It is the only school on the island that offers a feeding program for their enrollment through generous contributions.

San Pedro Sun
Posted By: Keller

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 03:09 PM

Time to fire up the dredgers and get some affordable fill for all the areas in the back.
Posted By: elbert

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 03:31 PM

Time to move the friggin school out of the swamp!
extremely bad idea to put the school there in the first place.
Build a school in the middle of the swamp and cry, 'Help we built our school in the middle of a swamp!'
and whos idea was that?
Posted By: t42

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 03:40 PM

Is this a private school or government?
Posted By: Inplub

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 03:46 PM

What a waste of $4 million dollars.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 04:04 PM

Waste?! 500 children would not have a school to go to if it weren't for Holy Cross. 500 children on the streets of San Pedro without an education.........now that's a waste!

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 04:06 PM

There are not 500 children in that school , thats a gross lie !
Posted By: champion

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 04:09 PM

Makes me think of New Orleans.
Posted By: t42

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 04:14 PM

No other options for schools they could attend? Is it private or government funded?

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 04:21 PM

It is private. All the other schools are at their capacity.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 05:09 PM

I WAS THERE 4 YEARS AGO PUTTING SAND DOWN AND HELPING. WHERE WERE ALL THE PARENTS THEN AND WERE ARE THEY NOW.
Posted By: wonderwoman

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 05:11 PM

The school is public. Last year we had 512 students. This year we were told to cut back to only 25 students per class so our total registration at this time is 422 students. I know because I'm the office manager! There were three buildings here originally that were to house construction workers for a new resort. The proceeds from the resort were to build a new school. The town asked that the school be built immediately and why couldn't we use the three buildings for the school. Thus the beginning of Holy Cross Anglican School. The resort was never built and oh, well, now we have a school where it is. Elbert, maybe you should come and visit this school. Have you even been here? Last year we turned down over 300 kids...this year over 300 again have been turned down because there IS NO SPACE ANYWHERE ON THIS ISLAND IN ANY CLASS!!! The school was built on donations. The teachers are paid by the Anglican Diocese of Belize. The rest of us are paid by the school and donations. We are the only school that also feeds our kids free.
Yes, we need a road. The tides have been getting higher and we have never had a road but need help this time with landfill and sand. Thank you, Linda Carter

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 05:12 PM

Oh, and we did have a PTA meeting yesterday. We have a number of parents who are ready, willing and able to help with the job. They just don't have money or sand.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 06:13 PM

Hmmmmm, I see no one is messing around with Wonderwoman grin

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Loansum - Al K
Hmmmmm, I see no one is messing around with Wonderwoman grin

Yes anyone is well advised not to, but i still think its a gross exaggeration to say they have 500 students, 'names on a registration at this time is 422'is still exaggerating. so Linda be real where would you put 500 students in those three little wooded houses? how many of the registered students go to school there. I know you guys have to call the roll everyday.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 06:43 PM

Duh, we have 17 classrooms, ELBERT!!!!!!
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 06:45 PM

You were told NOT to mess with her, Elmo laugh

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 06:45 PM

Like I said, maybe you should come SEE the school before opening your mouth.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 06:47 PM

yes mam, I drop by, i owe your that

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 06:49 PM

Thank you.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by wonderwoman
Duh, we have 17 classrooms, ELBERT!!!!!!

Yes Elbert do the math: 25 students to a class X 17 classrooms = 425 - 3 is 422!
Seriously, glad to hear that you'll go look at it. It's amazing what can be done with so little.....brings tears to my eyes and makes me realize how fortunate I was to have the education I had here in the US.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by elbert
yes mam, I drop by, i owe your that

Don't forget to bring your wallet with you smile

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 10:01 PM

Just talked to Vernon, the $4 million was NOT $4,000,000. That was a misprint! Was $4,000.00 US.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by wonderwoman
Just talked to Vernon, the $4 million was NOT $4,000,000. That was a misprint! Was $4,000.00 US.

Sounds more reasonable Linda.......they could have buildt another Harvard for $4 million!
Posted By: seashell

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/08/10 11:38 PM

As much as $4 mil was ridiculous, doesn't $4000 seem pretty light?
Posted By: the lazy gringo

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/09/10 12:46 AM

Anyone who hasn't spent some time at Holy Cross should stop by and do the tour. I have been taking visitors there for several years and I don't think any of them have left without being truely impressed with what is being done there. Vernon, Francis,and the staff have done wonders with the little that they have to work with. The children are being given a chance to succeed in a world where they would have little or no chance without holy Cross.
Posted By: pamkillen

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/09/10 05:01 PM

I think Mr. Wilson is attempting to rewrite history. He started Holy Cros in an attempt to cut a deal with gov't for a large marina that would have destroyed the public beach and the ability to build a four story condo development , which in fact set precedent for all the real high buildings going up now.
It is the responsibility of gov't to build schools and educate students. Because of this wheeling and dealing, we have a substandard facility that's over crowded and the Wilsons want town council to clean up the mess.
I disagree with the statement that these students would have no where to go without Holy Cross. There are schools available . Many of these students attend HC because of the free food which is a great thing and should be implemented in all SP schools. The country of Belize takes education seriously.
Oh might I add, there was also an attempt by the Wilson to get an additional 36 acres of land which, thank goodness did not happen.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/09/10 06:27 PM

Well said Pam, my brother is and has been a teacher for over 20 years in Belize and has told me it is LAW that 5 year olds go to school. If it is the law then it is up to the Town to make places for them at school.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/10/10 01:18 AM

Pamkillen, some pretty severe accusations you have made re; the Wilsons/Holy Cross School. Can you back these remarks up? Is there more to your theory?

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/10/10 03:24 AM

Well the history is fact.anyone can check the applications made.I am not sure if the actual plan is still posted by the bridge but it seems that the building Dept must have them if you want to look. I might add that in the original plan, the school was also to function as a hurricane shelter. A while ago I decided that donors are responsible for checking where the money goes but anyone who has given significantly should have access to the books so go with your wallet as suggested and ask

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/10/10 02:06 PM

Thank You Pam.
I've grown very tired of the Holy Cross/Vernon Wilson drama. It seems like the town has a very short memory. If you read the papers, watch the news and can retain some its a different world.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/10/10 02:19 PM

I love your statement about building on a swamp and wondering why it is wet (probably bad paraphrase)
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/10/10 04:51 PM

They have done a good job of soliciting funds / support for the school. It is also great that the children get free food - I hate to see the kids running around downtown during lunchtime and worry that some of them do not have adequate nutrition.

My understanding is that the WIlson's have recently relocated to Panama. The entire situation is very curious.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/10/10 04:54 PM

I'm sure if you send him money he will still appreciated it.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/10/10 05:43 PM

what??? Panama? So who is managing the school? And look at the mess they left. And where have all the donations gone?

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/10/10 05:53 PM

Try Panama.
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/10/10 06:11 PM

I believe they will continue to manage/ recruit volunteers/ donations for the school long distance....

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/10/10 06:21 PM

Good luck to wonderwoman.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/10/10 09:17 PM

How dare he write a big scold to the paper when he has already abandoned the project. Who is educated to run a school? Does the Anglican diocese. Know they bolted? Who will see to level of learning and basic safety of these kids?
Posted By: Chris

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/10/10 10:02 PM

"Wilson, who is currently out of the country, told The Sun that over $4 million dollars has been invested in the construction and infrastructure of the school." was likely no misprint. To say otherwise unfairly calls into question the competency of the San Pedro Sun reporter who wrote the article.

More than one person called the San Pedro Sun newspaper to make the point that there is not 4M worth of "construction and infrastructure" in the Holy Cross school. The question "Is that $4m U.S. or $4m Belize $$?" was also raised.

Perhaps Mr. Wilson felt the need to exaggerate in order to make his point. He stresses that running costs are not included in the 4.0 million figure. Or perhaps 4.0Million, Belize or US $$, is the amount that passed through his hands. For sure $4.0 million was not invested in infrastructure and construction, of that there is no doubt. Those buildings could not possibly have been built to a lower standard without leaving out the walls and roofs.

The new amount now quoted, $4000 US, for the construction of the buildings and infrastructure is obviously also not correct, only this time at the lower end of the scale.

It looks like a more transparent entity needs to take over the financial affairs of the school in order to safeguard the future of the kids there as well as the hard work of teachers, supervisors, staff and donors to the school. Mr. Wilson's continued involvement raises too many questions...I know a few businesspeople on Ambergris Caye who won't donate to the school for that reason.

The school needs a new home too...its present location is far too vulnerable to storm damage.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/10/10 10:08 PM

Well put Chris.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/11/10 02:41 AM

This doesnt sound like the end of this story
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/12/10 02:32 AM

Island stories are neverendingstoriesoverandoverandoveragain.
Let's hope the kids win.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/12/10 04:03 AM

Yes. Let's hope the kids win

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 02:31 PM

I am wondering who will administrate Holy Cross and manage donations now that The Wilson's are gone. I know that the people at Town Council had no idea they had left. Will town take it over?

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 04:37 PM

If they have gone who is running the school now?

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 04:40 PM

Good question

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by pamkillen
I am wondering who will administrate Holy Cross and manage donations now that The Wilson's are gone. I know that the people at Town Council had no idea they had left. Will town take it over?

They are not gone gone. They purchased a home in Panama and will be back soon.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 06:56 PM

If they will "be back soon" they must be gone.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ernie B
If they will "be back soon" they must be gone.

The inference was that they are not moving there.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 07:23 PM

Its none of my business but why buy a house if you dont intend to live there.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 07:34 PM

The Wilson's still direct the school and presently are on vacation in the USA. They will return Monday. The Anglican Diocese manages all Anglican schools in Belize. All funds go directly to the school and not to the Wilsons. The school looks great and supports the children in San Mateo area and other poorer neighborhoods. Without the food program here at the school, most of these children would not be able to eat. The Wilsons bought a house to later retire in. and where would you have the school re-located to? Maybe next door to you? Do you have property you would like to donate? The Wilson's had not planned on running a school but was talked into it and so, yes, they hope to retire from the school in a year or two! Any of y'all are welcome to step in and run it! Good luck! I really wish all of you would come and take a tour of the school. You would be pleasantly surprised. I'll be glad to show you around.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 07:43 PM

Its none of my business but why buy a house if you dont intend to live there.

Sorry Ernie, buth that's got to be one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard on this board to date. I bought a condo on AC over 5 years ago and I STILL don't "live" there. Have you ever heard of a "vacation home"? smirk

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 08:00 PM

Gotta disagree with ya there Loansum, check out some of Jesse's comments smile

PS, I really dont care what you think.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 08:17 PM

I am with Ernie, Loansum you said home not house. Home is where you live.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 08:18 PM

Gotta disagree with ya there Loansum, check out some of Jesse's comments smile

PS, I really dont care what you think.

I think all of us are guilty of making dumb comments.....some more often than others...

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Inplub
I am with Ernie, Loansum you said home not house. Home is where you live.

Well, don't know about that.....I consider San Pedro my "home away from home" grin

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 08:30 PM

I can see your point, we have a house in San Pedro and one in Bangkok, we rent here in England. My home is where the family is.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Inplub
I can see your point, we have a house in San Pedro and one in Bangkok, we rent here in England. My home is where the family is.

Well said......I agree......and "I approve this message"
Posted By: iluvbelize

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 09:31 PM

"Wilson explained, "Everyone knows that the water in San Mateo is highly contaminated."

I'm not disagreeing that the school is needed and provides education and feeding services to the kids who may not otherwise receive same. However, it appears there is much more to the story as to how and why the Wilsons even considered putting a school in that particular area. Why did they agree to do that knowing the water is subpar and the land not buildable?

Everyone who has donated and who does such good work for the Holy Cross students are to be commended at every turn. The awful mess of board bridges, dirty water and overall dangerous environment of the school premises are due to the fact that it was "developed" by the Wilsons merely to provide leverage to them in their other real estate interests.

"He ended his letter by stating that, "It is time for a change and the time is now." Indeed... on to Panama.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 09:50 PM

Sell crazy somewhere else, we’re all stocked up here.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 10:01 PM

I was amazed when I took a tour of the Holy Cross facilities. The computer lab is better than some that I have been to in the "1st" world. The feeding program works on an immense scale and is admirable. There is a dental clinic on site and a nurse on staff. How many schools in Belize offer such wonderful amenities.

Yes the school is in the swamp and that is very unfortunate. But rather than lamenting what has been done it would be more beneficial to the entire community if folks can come up with viable solutions on how to improve the area or relocate the school.

An education is vital to a person's future and at the moment 422 kids are getting a quality education - that is undeniable. The fact that 300 kids have been turned away due to lack of space shows that there is a dire need for the school to expand or for another school to built - asap!

The high school has just under 500 kids now. Each year the demand is higher and higher for spaces at this level too.

Yes, the government really should be looking at the desperate need for another affordable primary school on the island. In the meantime we have a lot of street kids wandering around doing what kids do - getting into mischief and slowly but surely their fates are being sealed by the community's apparent lack of interest.

Please give credit where it is due and if you don't wish to support a project that is certainly your prerogative - but please don't berate and mock those that care and wish to help.
Posted By: iluvbelize

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 10:12 PM

Agreed Amanda. I support the good work done at Holy Cross, it is an amazing accomplishment and service.

I just find it useless for Wilson to complain publicly in the paper that the Town won't do something it can't do. He agreed to build the school purportedly with a portion of his private profit margin from the deal he worked out in the first place. The road infrastructure would have gone in first with the original offer of the affordable fill. Four years later he's accusing others of not doing what he should have and could have done in the first place - if he intended to do it the right way to begin with. That extra acre and fill from Pierce may have had some strings attached but it would help with expansion room and road fill.

I fully support building a proper road for Holy Cross and will contribute when there is a viable plan in place.

Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/13/10 10:20 PM

Mr and Mrs Wilson have made a habit of complaining about the Town board and other government departments at every turn - I have never thought that behaviour to be constructive - but each to their own I suppose.
Posted By: tcoats

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/14/10 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
I was amazed when I took a tour of the Holy Cross facilities. The computer lab is better than some that I have been to in the "1st" world. The feeding program works on an immense scale and is admirable. There is a dental clinic on site and a nurse on staff. How many schools in Belize offer such wonderful amenities.

Yes the school is in the swamp and that is very unfortunate. But rather than lamenting what has been done it would be more beneficial to the entire community if folks can come up with viable solutions on how to improve the area or relocate the school.

An education is vital to a person's future and at the moment 422 kids are getting a quality education - that is undeniable. The fact that 300 kids have been turned away due to lack of space shows that there is a dire need for the school to expand or for another school to built - asap!

The high school has just under 500 kids now. Each year the demand is higher and higher for spaces at this level too.

Yes, the government really should be looking at the desperate need for another affordable primary school on the island. In the meantime we have a lot of street kids wandering around doing what kids do - getting into mischief and slowly but surely their fates are being sealed by the community's apparent lack of interest.

Please give credit where it is due and if you don't wish to support a project that is certainly your prerogative - but please don't berate and mock those that care and wish to help.

Thank you Amanda! Well said.
Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/14/10 04:37 AM

I will totally agree with Amanda and go on record that I have heard enough of people that are trying to disparage the facility. It was not what it was intended to be --it evolved and it's working. Support--don't complain. Ironic that the folks that complain the loudest have nothing to gain or lose... just trying to throw a wrench into a machine that works.

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/14/10 04:53 AM

That is simply not true. If the Wilson's are moving and abandoning the project, the concerned members of the community have not only the right but the responsibility to ask about the welfare of the kids. For people to go on the attack because of concerned citizens speaks to a defensiveness that only supports my concern for the safety Of the students. Address that issue with specifics and show some professionalism and maybe those who have issues will be relieved. For my part, I will be asked responsible parties to answer questions
Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: Holy Cross needs a proper road access - 10/14/10 05:44 AM

The school is run by the Anglican Diocese of Belize. They are in the phone book.

This topic / subject is closed
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board