AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Lorna Jones Amazon Kindle - 11/17/10 04:16 PM
Can anyone tell me if the Amazon Kindle works on Ambergris Caye? Can you download out here? I checked on their map and the Belize area has no coverage, but just wondered if anyone's managed to do it? I'm off to the UK tomorrow and thought about buying one, but don't want to blow my money if it doesn't work out here
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/17/10 04:22 PM
In February 2010 I could not get it to work. I anticipated this and loaded-up my Kindle before travel. Unless someone can give you a recent account of it working, I would suggest you do the same.

I see you may not have that option with extended travel or if you're a local, but I think you can synch online with a computer connection. Still worth it.

Good luck. No better place to curl-up with a good novel and a cup of coffee than the beach of AC!
Posted By: elbert Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/17/10 04:25 PM
Yes
Do it from your Amazon account. I love mine.
You might buy the little Kindle light accessory while your getting yours. It allows reading on the dock at night or when the power goes out.
Posted By: Lorna Jones Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/17/10 04:33 PM
Thanks very much!
I do live on the Island, but just returning to UK for 10 days! I love my books but find it a nightmare getting the ones I like out here.......
Loving the idea of a light too wink
Posted By: IGAmel Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/17/10 04:35 PM
I just downloaded a book to my Kindle yesterday with no problems. Download speed was great. Happy reading!
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/17/10 04:40 PM
cool. that's great news!!!
Posted By: JeanH Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/17/10 05:25 PM
I don't know about the 'new' Kindles with 3G coverage.

I could download books via my laptop to my Kindle last winter.
Posted By: Lorna Jones Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/17/10 05:35 PM
IGAmel - can you tell me if it was just the standard kindle - or is it the latest 3G one?
Thanks
Posted By: IGAmel Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/17/10 05:40 PM
Hey Lorna- I have the 3G, but internet speed down here has increased recently.
Posted By: hansen Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/17/10 06:11 PM
Kindle's 3g capability won't work here because it is tied to a cellular network in the states. You will need to buy the book on amazon.com and download it to your kinda via usb. Super easy though.
Posted By: datallmon Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/17/10 06:20 PM
IF its wireless it will download. I use my wireless i-Pad to download books to my Kindle reader all the time.
Posted By: kwalkpt Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/17/10 07:53 PM
It is not if it is just wireless. I have the large Kindle which is wireless/3G - I have to download via computer. My husband has the new small one - wireless/3G and Wi-Fi. So he can download here if he has Wi-Fi! Look on the Kindle page for the differences in the Kindles.
Posted By: rubyd Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/17/10 10:19 PM
When I lived on the island, I downloaded via the computer and my usb port. It worked great. Karen
Posted By: Lorna Jones Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/18/10 01:00 AM
Thanks for all your help everyone! Been on this Island for 7 months now and not seen anyone with one! lol
Posted By: Phil Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/18/10 04:12 PM
I'll bet you'll save a lot of money if you buy it in the US
Posted By: Judyann H. Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/18/10 05:43 PM
AT Amazon about 4 months ago; I purchased a packaged Wireless Kindle with the leather cover & light for $189 including tax and shipping. US delivery of course.....
Posted By: dogdoc Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/18/10 10:20 PM
I am asking for a Kindle for Christmas, and also have never seen anyone down here with one. So, please re-explain to a computer illiterate (me) which of the new Kindles I will need to download books from my computer. Either? Or only the more expensive $189 3G one?
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/18/10 10:33 PM
I've seen tons of people here with Kindles. You'll need to go lay around on the beach by the pool more often! Everybody seems to have a kindle these days.
Posted By: elbert Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/18/10 10:36 PM
FYI about download , use Internet Explorer.
Posted By: Casa Pokey Jan Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/18/10 11:46 PM
Dogdoc you only need the $139 Kindle. If you have a wireless internet connection it will download a book in less than a minute. If no wireless is available you can download books to your computer then move them to the Kindle very easily.
Posted By: Calirn Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/19/10 12:44 AM
wierd, because when I tried to download to my NOOK (Barnes and Noble version), it did not happen....when I spoke with B&N, they said "international copyright laws prevented me from downloading outside the USA" I think that is lame because when better a time to download books than when you are on the beach!
Posted By: kwalkpt Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/19/10 04:41 AM
Kindle uses the words "wireless" and "wi-fi" as two different things - make sure you have one that is "wi-fi" then with "wi-fi" access you can download. All of them can download via the computer.
The large Kindle does not come with "wi-fi" but is wireless/3G.
Posted By: James Pearce Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/19/10 06:59 AM
Get an iPad!

Then you can use Apple's bookstore AND run the Kindle software too.

(Not to mention all the other apps).

Different types of screens though.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/19/10 03:33 PM
Our friend bought a sony Reader when she was visiting states and she got it back here it worked fine.
Posted By: pamkillen Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/19/10 03:46 PM
Get an IPAD, easier to read and downloads right on to the IPAD from amazon if in wireless range
Posted By: lovey and thurston Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/19/10 03:56 PM
Really like the Ipad, but for reading prefer the Kindle. It is much easier to read if you are outside in the sun. The Ipad is back lit and you get more glare I think.
Posted By: gecko_girl Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/19/10 04:23 PM
Definitely a Kindle for reading outdoors, and the battery life is much longer. I download the books to the PC and then transfer via the USB cable - takes less than a minute.
Posted By: dogdoc Re: Amazon Kindle - 11/19/10 05:21 PM
Thank you, thats what I needed to know!
Posted By: seashell Re: Amazon Kindle - 05/12/11 07:49 AM
My wireless is out. Want to load a bunch of books onto my kindle, tried to use USB. However, being the next thing to a Luddite, I couldn't figure it out. Looked to me like I can't download through USB cable?? HELP anyone please HELP . . .
Posted By: future-expat Re: Amazon Kindle - 05/12/11 08:07 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo..._usb_200375630?nodeId=200375630&#usb

Have you tried these instructions? They are a little vague but your kindle should show up as a drive if you open up the "computer" option from the start menu (assuming you use windows). Download the book files from Amazon and remember where it saves them on your hard drive. Open the file's location in one window and your kindle in a separate one. Then just drag and drop from your computer to the kindle. If that doesn't work PM me and I'll see if I can walk you through it with a bit more detail.
Posted By: seashell Re: Amazon Kindle - 05/12/11 08:06 PM
Thanks! I too hope that helps. Seemed to me that it didn't open as a drive, just set itself up to charge. But I'll double check on that later today. Thanks again, muchly!!
Posted By: klcman Re: Amazon Kindle - 05/12/11 11:47 PM
Heeheee, this should be interesting.......... laugh
Posted By: seashell Re: Amazon Kindle - 05/13/11 01:21 AM
shush you!
Posted By: gecko_girl Re: Amazon Kindle - 05/14/11 01:52 AM
When you open the Kindle as a drive you will see a few subdirectories. You need to drag/drop the books into the Documents subdirectory and then disconnect the Kindle from the PC before they will show up in the list.
Posted By: seashell Re: Amazon Kindle - 05/14/11 04:30 AM
Geez . . .cuz ya, it is simple when a person already knows how to do it. For myself, for now, I think I will just re=read a few of the books already loaded and deal with this when my wireless is back up. Thanks to all!

(klcman . . you shush)
Posted By: klcman Re: Amazon Kindle - 05/14/11 12:57 PM
why in the heck don't ya just go the local coffee bar and borrow their wireless?
Posted By: PROBUS Re: Amazon Kindle - 05/14/11 03:05 PM
Remember that "disconnecting the Kindle from the computer" requires that it be disconnected via software first. That's true with both Macs and Windows machines. Otherwise there's a risk of "bricking" your Kindle.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board