AmbergrisCaye.com Home

seeking advice for those with mobilty challenges

Posted By: m rockwood

seeking advice for those with mobilty challenges - 11/18/10 07:17 PM

I would like to bring my 85 year old mother to the lovely isle and am in need of some ideas/suggestions. I have the to and from sorted pretty well. Getting Ma on and off a boat is right out of the question so we'd be staying someplace south of the bridge. Past that I don't know which place would be the easiest for someone who doesn't walk far or well and doesn't do any bigger step than a curb. I'd like someplace nice, probably out of town a bit, it is Ma after all, and there would be other women along as well - Ruby's just wouldn't work. :-)
Posted By: joey2angels

Re: seeking advice for those with mobilty challenges - 11/18/10 07:23 PM

RE: Caye Caulker
Check out the Iquana Reef resort. You cam just google the name and find the website. I stayed there last year and it's very quiet off the beaten path by the soccer field.
For more activity try Seaside Cabanas next to the water taxi pier.
Time at Caye Caulker extends life.
Good Luck.
Posted By: lovetotravel

Re: seeking advice for those with mobilty challenges - 11/19/10 01:10 AM

m rockwood- Some friends of ours own a very nice condo on the south side of Ambergris Caye that is wheelchair accessible on the beach level. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Posted By: TravelinMan1

Re: seeking advice for those with mobilty challenges - 11/19/10 12:33 PM

Checkout Athens Gate, Pelican Reef Villas and Victoria House. I am sure each of these places can accommodate you.
Posted By: pamkillen

Re: seeking advice for those with mobilty challenges - 11/19/10 01:16 PM

My 89 year old, very lame, father lived with me at The Palms for a while. The first floor condos have big decks where he would sit and watch the activities on the beach. He could also watch his grandchildren swim at Ramon's beach.It is a short walk through the pool area to the condo but no steps.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: seeking advice for those with mobilty challenges - 11/19/10 04:12 PM

Bermuda Palms (just across the bridge) has a two bedroom two bath wheel chair friendly unit. It is managed by The Landings Roger and Susan Glaze.
Posted By: LuvBelize

Re: seeking advice for those with mobilty challenges - 11/19/10 08:25 PM

I have stayed several times at the Belize Yacht Club and I believe this would be a perfect place for you and Ma to stay. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and there are solid walkways throughout the resort. Pool, coffee bar, and poolside bar are very short distances from all units. There is a concrete ramp that leads down to the beach and dock. The staff is extremely accommodating. I bet they could make arrangements for a wheel chair and anything else you might need during your stay.
www.belizeyachtclub.com
I hope you enjoy your stay in Belize!

Re: seeking advice for those with mobilty challenges - 11/19/10 09:06 PM

Thanks all for the advice, i guess i should have added it wont be just the two of us. My kids, the grand daughter and some friends will be joining us. I was thinking of somewhere i could get a bungalow or something like that which would sleep 6 to 8.
Posted By: lovetotravel

Re: seeking advice for those with mobilty challenges - 11/19/10 09:50 PM

What are your arrival and departure dates?

Re: seeking advice for those with mobilty challenges - 11/22/10 05:03 PM

they aren't set yet - we're still working out timing details with the crew. Probably be the last half of February.
Posted By: klcman

Re: seeking advice for those with mobilty challenges - 11/22/10 08:05 PM

Banana Beach has a 1st floor 2/3/4 br suite that is very nice. But I don't think the end of Feb has availability.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board