AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: SFJeff Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 05:23 PM
So evidently the San Pedro Town Board has granted taxi cabs permission to drive over the bridge 5-6 miles north? (one just drove by here.) Our Mgr confirmed such on the phone w/ them just now.

At least now if the Town Board is going to officially declare the utility right of way a "road" it's up to them to maintain it.

Hope the bridge holds up...
Posted By: SFJeff Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 05:48 PM
...also worth noting, the cab that just drove by was going about 30 mph... almost caused a nice mishap with a golf cart and some tourist (pedestrians) who had a hard time getting out of the way.
Posted By: legendsburger Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 06:10 PM
Yeah was surprised this morning to see them buzzing past our place. Heard that it is a thirty day trial, should be interesting!!!
Yikes. Hope that bridge can handle vehicles.
Posted By: elbert Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 06:29 PM
I just came up the road and were all gona hafta start acting like were in traffic. The tourist meandering on golf carts ,stoping and turning without signals on a one lane dirt road is kinda scary.
I'm feeling a little road rage coming on!
Posted By: SFJeff Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 06:44 PM
Presumably, if the Town Board allows vehicles to go from town up north, they can make little argument for businesses/individuals who live up north to be able to go south to town???

I mean from a cost of business standpoint, to be able to load propane tanks, goods, etc into a pick up is certainly more economical than running a boat (and more comfortable/safe in bad weather/at night.)

Posted By: bywarren Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 07:00 PM
I find it contradictory that people involved in businesses: ie. developements, condos, resorts, restaurants,etc. are opposed to the infrastucture that follows, like transportation.
Granted, the taxi drivers are not a good example of safe and considerate transportation, but it would seem inevitable once you develope and promote tourism in the area that vehicular traffic will follow.
Posted By: elbert Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 08:31 PM
Listen to the news and postings of crime and violence in San Pedro,
of crack districts and crowded impoverished slums, why wouldn't we want to be conveniently connected to it.
The north residents and businesses have solved all their transportation issues with water transports, it keeps out the riff raff.
The road and bridge bring only trouble for us but convenient access and a much larger market for criminals.
Never had my house robbed until they put in a road for the robbers. Never woke in the middle of the night by drunk tourist until golf carts could make it this far.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 08:49 PM
The Grinch lives on....
Posted By: bywarren Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 09:01 PM
An all too common mentality. Surprisingly, with tourism comes tourists. Providing the infrastructure i.e.: sufficient water, power, roads, garbage and sewage disposal, a master plan with enforced building codes, crime control - including enforced traffic laws are the areas that need to be addressed. These are the issues that need to be solved in a community that has decided to place its future in the business of tourism - not complaining about, and trying to eliminate, some of the services that naturally evolve when that demand is created.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 09:18 PM
I too called the town board this morning and was told to talk to the Deputy Mayor - so I did. He said they gave TAXI's the right to cross the bridge on a twe week trial basis. I asked why those of us who live up here were not at least notified of this. "Oh, we will notify you when the two week trial period is over!"
They just don't get what is meant by transparency!!!
He went on to proudly say that now tht the road is fixed everyone should be able to travel north.
AGAIN - I sked about talking to at leas the neighborhood watch. "Oh we will! But right now I am going into a meeting with the minister about this plan."
I said if you are going to allow traffic up here you are going to have to monitor it - they are treating this like a race way. "Oh, we will."

HA HA HA HA HA - the jokes on us! As someone else said - NO MORE TOLL CHARGES! Almost make Caye Caulker look good. OR maybe we can even move our to Long Caye in Lighthouse Atoll. LOL
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 09:35 PM
Bywarren is right - we all thrive on tourism, we all promote tourism and we must all learn to manage the "progress" and development that goes hand in hand with a growing and thriving industry.

I can understand the reasons why residents north of the bridge would not like vehicular traffic in their area, but there can be benefits too. As SFJeff said, it is more economical to have deliveries made by road. You might even have a chance to have the fire truck show up in an emergency.

Of course the other side of the coin is the fact that it makes it easier for the criminal element to target your area, and for inconsiderate drivers to disturb your peace and tranquility.

Traffic on this island is a necessary evil. Of course I wish we could stem the types of vehicles that we operate, and I wish drivers would be considerate (no speeding, no drinking and driving, fix mufflers etc) but human nature will prevent that wish from coming true.

It might be wise to start figuring out where the pedestrian crossings should be, the go slow zones and the stop sign placement etc.

Posted By: reaper Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 09:38 PM
This is a good thing. Soon all of the taxis won't have any suspension left after traveling north for a month. Then they will all go out of business, in and out of town. Broken Toyota vans will litter the island roadsides. That will make golf cart travel much safer.

After the next big rainfall no one will be driving that way in a taxi.

Maybe I could make a fortune in the tow truck biz up north now??? hmmm....

wink
Posted By: papashine Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 09:46 PM
Next thing you know someone will want to start sky diving up north....Wait..thats already happened!
Posted By: SFJeff Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 09:59 PM
So will the Town Board now give residents/businesses up north permits to drive south to town??? I mean it's a two way street after all (pun intended.)

I mean I'd love to send my staff home at night in the comfort of a vehicle that costs 1/4 what running a boat costs...

Posted By: Uncle Buck Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 10:08 PM
I'd like to see taxis charged a few extra dollars Tax to cross the bridge north, which can be turned over to the consumer with a higher fare, and use the money for upkeep on the road plus take care of the things that Amanda mentioned above (crosswalks, etc.) The higher taxi fares will still be way less then the island ferry, so I don't think people would complain too much.
Posted By: debbief Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 10:22 PM
Is there still a charge for golf carts to cross the bridge? We own a condo north of town and I'm trying to decide what this will mean for our preferred method of traveling back and forth to town. The increased traffic might make me feel a little safer going by water taxi than on the new, improved road by bike or golf cart.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 10:36 PM
Yes, $5.00 each way.
Posted By: debbief Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/24/10 11:25 PM
Thanks. I just thought it might change (higher or lower) for golf carts if taxis could now cross the bridge. It makes me a little sad, but that's just because I'm selfish. I'm probably one of the few who loves the rough little road.

Happiest of holidays to everyone!
Posted By: datallmon Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/25/10 12:53 AM
Harriet, if I were you I'd replace the ropes in front of your place with logs. Maybe a few well placed land mines would work also.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/25/10 01:56 AM
A few trip wires might slow down the taxi's
Posted By: SnoopysMom Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/25/10 04:07 AM
Something /somebody needs to get their attention for sure! Do what you have to do.....
Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/25/10 04:15 AM
Everyone seems to forget that there is NO ROAD only a trail across private land. If there was a road it would be different but there is no road. Our town board has no respect for the people and does not consult with the people on anything. They believe that they have POWER and are not accountable. They will be held accountable in the next election and in the community as a whole. We know who is who. Those that are involved with this will never receive any support from me. They are supposed to represent us not dictate to us. Who do they think they are. Lone BS in my book.
Posted By: Short Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/25/10 04:31 AM
As has been said: There is no legal roadway north of the bridge. It is all private property that those taxis are trespassing on. There is a law from 2005 that prohibits cars bigger than golf carts to drive across the bridge. Belizean Estates has a (black) pickup truck regularly driving on the beach here. Like with the crime issue, the law is not being enforced here and what do we have to think when even our own town board does not follow the law?
Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/25/10 05:59 AM
It was also gazetted that no motor vehicles would be allowed on any beach except Boca Del Rio. Our Mayor has many times given permission that she has no authority to give for vehicles to drive on the beach and on the road. No public official has the power to supersede a law. Thats what laws are all about. As I recall it is a Writ of Mandamus that requires a public body to obey the law. This could be applied for in Supreme Court if anyone has any money to hire the attorney.
Posted By: Inplub Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/25/10 06:09 PM
If the Law will not uphold the Laws then the people must do it for them. If I owned land north I would not allow taxi's to cross my land.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/25/10 06:17 PM
If there is no legal road way north of the bridge and it is all private property, then anyone traveling north would be trespassing on private property. What that could mean is each property owner could decided who could cross their property and anyone wishing to travel north would have to get permission from each property owner whose property he crossed. Not a very sensible approach. Just another expample of poor planing when it comes to development.
Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by bywarren
If there is no legal road way north of the bridge and it is all private property, then anyone traveling north would be trespassing on private property. What that could mean is each property owner could decided who could cross their property and anyone wishing to travel north would have to get permission from each property owner whose property he crossed. Not a very sensible approach. Just another expample of poor planing when it comes to development.

Not a sensible approach is a very strange thing to say. Each property owner can make that decision and enforce it. It is part of your rights when you purchase the land. Town board can not make you let people drive across your property. I stopped the road behind my place and it is no longer on my property because I refused to allow the illegal truck traffic to cross my property. Everyone should do the same. Obviously it has to do with basic planning problems coupled with political problems. Make a road first then let people drive on it. It is so absurd that it is difficult for most folks to grasp that the Mayor has actually given people permission to drive on a road that does not exist in any legal sense.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 02:29 AM
I would not consider it sensible, an questionable if legal, that individual property owners have a right to decide who is allowed to transgress their property in order to pass to another property. I do not claim to know Belize law, but having developed property in the States, there are laws that prohibit property owners from not allowing others to reach their property. Laws permit one property owner from "land locking" another from his property by not allowing an easement to pass.
You keep saying that there are laws against traffic driving north. What government authority made those laws? If it is the San Pedro Town Consul, then I would think it is a Town Ordinance, and they could amend that as they choose. If it is another authority, then the Mayor and Town should have no say in the matter. Either way, I find it hard to accept that property owners would have a right to prohibit others from transgressing their property to reach another property. And, I would think it would be a loosing argument to suggest that, if that were the case, the property owners could decide who and who could not have that right.
Posted By: CaptOneIron Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 02:40 AM
I don't know about legal road way and the like but surely what passes for a road is actually a utility easement or right of way for BTL. I haven't looked at my survey recently but I believe you will find a road outlined all th way up the island. I do know that my property up around Santa Rita/Mexico Rocks clearly shows a right of way for a road. Having said that I do agree with most of the comments on this thread and frankly am a bit ambivalent about the so called new road.
Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 02:43 AM
Sorry Byron your are simply wrong in your interpretation of this regardless of how your argument make seem it just is not so. I would also like to mention to everyone that if you continue to allow the illegal road to transverse your properties you will be in danger of loosing them to mandatory land acquisition law (eminent domain) in the foreseeable future. It is inevitable and beneficial for all for there to be a road up north. I have forced the road of my property, for that reason, legally, regardless of what bywarren may think or believe and you can too.
My conversations with attorney today indicated that it would not be difficult to get a Writ of Mandamus against the Town Council requiring them to adhere to the law. If they are politically so foolish that they will change the law (which they have not) without public consultation they will have to accept the consequences of that come election time next year.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 03:03 AM
I am not trying to argumentative, Mike. I am just trying to understand this issue. Some of you say there is no road, but then you say there is a law prohibiting some vehicles from driving on this road that does not exist. Then some say that it is private property and only those that you allow should be using the right away. If that is the case, then does each property owner decide who can use it? Just seems confusing to me.
Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 04:37 AM
It is very confusing because it is so ridiculous. It is a law that there are no vehicles allowed up north or on the beach. This was published in the Gazette in 2005 and in the newspapers recently. In fact there is no road dedicated up north. As to the immediate area of the bridge I am not sure but to the best of my knowledge that is also not a legal road. Up here I know for fact there is no road. Everyone has let golf carts and bicycles and motor bikes pass as a courtesy since the town has never gotten it together to declare the road. I had no problem myself with that. When the mayor allowed heavy trucks on the road up here it all changed and I prevented the trucks from passing and caused the "road" to be moved off my property. As a property owner you do have the right to choose who comes onto your property. Taxis and trucks change the game, you do have an absolute right to keep them or anyone for that matter off your property unless there is eminent domain and then it is not your property anymore. All the confusion comes from the way the town board has handled it. When town board give someone permission to do something that is published as being contrary to the law it confuses everyone. Now this.
Posted By: Dane Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 06:11 AM
Belize property law is different from the US.Easements for access are usually not a problem because they address them with subdivision permits. You can not be be approved legally to divide a property without a road access on the plan.
Posted By: Short Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by bywarren
I am just trying to understand this issue. Some of you say there is no road, but then you say there is a law prohibiting some vehicles from driving on this road that does not exist.

To clarify for you, across the bridge there is only private land, there is a road but it goes over people's private properties. The law is about nothing bigger that golf cart crossing the bridge, except for emergency and utilities vehicles. That was the condition for building the bridge.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 02:05 PM
Thanks all for the "clarification". It appears to me that it goes back to the lack of planing on the part of whatever goverment entity is responsible for that area. Common sense would dictate that if you are building, especially commercial businesses, that public access to those would be essential. It would seem unmanagable and unfair to have each individual propery owner decide who he would allow to pass.
That means when I go up to see Jan or Mike I would be trespassing and probably half of the owners, knowing me, would not want me crossing their property. wink

Also, my inquiring mind would ask of Amanda, Diane, Chris A, Chris B and any other real estate agent reading this: When you sell property up North, do you feel an obligation to disclose to the buyer that if they attempt to access their property by land they will be trespassing?
Posted By: CaptOneIron Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 02:22 PM
Has anyone actually looked at the official land documents?
Posted By: casa bella Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 04:18 PM
For what its worth .I believe that on our plot map there is a road .I also see a public access to the beach from the road next to my naibors lot . Last winter I ran into a man that was measuring the road behind our lot . I stopped to talk to him and he pointed out the difference of where the road is to where its supposed to be. Isn't there a master plan with a road. The power poles should be on the road (right of way ).
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 04:55 PM
How do citizens call for a meeting of government to explain/defend thier actions?

For what it's worth - yesterday the taxis were ALL traveling at a reasonable speed. Myabe they got the message that thier "temporary" permit would not be extended if there were too many protest.

Some one told me that the ropes in front of my Birdland had been removed. I did not put the ropes there and didn't like them. Carts would come almost to a stop and my dogs thought they were entering my property and this caused them to go crazy, Funny thing but with the ropes gone most people are driving saner. Those guys on the ATV used to tear across the ropes and have now slowed down.

We desperately need a public meeting.
Posted By: AT602 Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 05:18 PM
"Remember a Meeting in no Substitute for Progress."
Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 05:39 PM
In the case of the road behind my place it has been investigated thoroughly by the Mayor. There is no road but there is public land where a road could go. As I said closer to town I am less sure. All legal easements are marked on the official survey maps. Most of the subdivisions have road access to the various lots but they do not tie into a main road. It needs to be surveyed and declared a road and then be properly maintained. I would welcome it as it would take pressure off the reef with less boat traffic but it needs to be legally done with consultation with the community, not arbitrary actions that favor certain groups. When due process takes place at least we are represented. It does not appear that is the case now. They often act too fast without consultation and without considering all the implications of the actions. Most in the community are very concerned at the appearance of favoritism by the town board on many fronts and only want laws that are applied equally to all. That requires acknowledging and respecting the law as it exists. There are legal ways to change laws and these must be adhered to to have a semblance of order in our society.
Posted By: elbert Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 06:21 PM
We have had for 15 years restaurants, residents and Resorts that enjoyed good business via the romance and adventure of boat transportation to these island destinations. Boats driven by a work force displaced by the advent of tourism and consequent crash of commercial fishing, but luckily found employment with their only vocation in this new market. Their vocations are threatened again by this move.
The real San Pedranos whose own major just gave them the shaft!
Taxi drivers come to San Pedro from places like Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Chetumal to find work, and they don't vote! Its the local boys that are going to suffer and they do vote!
That will be felt by The Right Honorable Paz.
Posted By: Maya House Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 06:47 PM
Traffic is SO much better today! Everyone is driving slowly, no loud ATV's, work trucks or missing mufflers so far. It's a Boxing Day/Day After Christmas miracle!
Posted By: Maya House Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by elbert
We have had for 15 years restaurants, residents and Resorts that enjoyed good business via the romance and adventure of boat transportation to these island destinations. Boats driven by a work force displaced by the advent of tourism and consequent crash of commercial fishing, but luckily found employment with their only vocation in this new market. Their vocations are threatened again by this move.
The real San Pedranos whose own major just gave them the shaft!
Taxi drivers come to San Pedro from places like Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Chetumal to find work, and they don't vote! Its the local boys that are going to suffer and they do vote!
That will be felt by The Right Honorable Paz.

Couldn't agree more. It's one of main reasons tourists and owner's alike (business or individual) have chosen the area north of the split. Taxi's/ATV's/speeding/unmuffled vehicles have made downtown San Pedro a dangerous, loud and dusty mess. When you talk to folks that started coming to Belize 20 or even 10 years ago, part of the reason they continued to return was the fact you got around on foot, bike or golf cart. If it turns into a place just like every other place someone can visit, the romance and allure are gone. There is nothing at all alluring about riding in a taxi anywhere on Ambergris.

"Progress" is often thrown around as an excuse for not taking the time to do things the right way, also known as short-term greed over long-term sustainability and stability.
Posted By: pirate villas Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 09:22 PM
i think it might be time to name the non-road....or does it already have a non-name.
Posted By: CaptOneIron Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 09:41 PM
Chaca laca highway?
Posted By: reaper Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/26/10 10:43 PM
The Corona Freeway. It was named years ago in a bridge to Mexico thread. wink
Posted By: Calirn Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/27/10 12:02 AM
Is the road not called Coconut Drive? That's what it says on my building plans when I bought at Coco Beach
Posted By: natalie p Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/27/10 01:32 AM
The signs with the Ambergris Caye Map near the bridge and near the Palapa Bar have 'Tropicana Dr.'
Posted By: elbert Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/27/10 02:19 PM
I think Tropicana Dr. was Larry Thorps invention.
I use Coconut Drive.
I think the island being what it is and considering its history of being a giant Coconut Plantation, the main road up its middle would be well named
Coconut Drive.
what do ya think?
Posted By: natalie p Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/27/10 02:37 PM
For sure do not want Tropicana---who wants our address named after fruit juice! I like Coconut Drive, but there is already a Coconut Dr. going south----and it ends when you get to town.
Posted By: CaptOneIron Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/27/10 04:10 PM
What about "Ambergris Amble" or better yet "Ambergris Gamble" as that is what it is likely to be after some rain and tide action?
Posted By: champion Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/27/10 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Everyone seems to forget that there is NO ROAD only a trail across private land. If there was a road it would be different but there is no road. Our town board has no respect for the people and does not consult with the people on anything. They believe that they have POWER and are not accountable. They will be held accountable in the next election and in the community as a whole. We know who is who. Those that are involved with this will never receive any support from me. They are supposed to represent us not dictate to us. Who do they think they are. Lone BS in my book.

So tell me then, what about the letter of agreement with Mexico to build the road from Mexico to San Pedro.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/27/10 05:05 PM
The signs that say "Tropican" went up in the last year. Does anyone know who put them up?
I agree with Elbert - Coconut Drive - and why could it not connect through town. Or maybe North Coconut Drive?
And yes, the taxis and most others have slowed down - humm - wonder who made that happen?
Hopefully, they will continue to drive slowly after the 2 week trial period. I would not hold my breath though.
Posted By: Maya House Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/27/10 05:41 PM
Hopefully they will no longer be allowed on the North end after the 2 week period. Where can we voice our opinion on this matter?
Posted By: Maya House Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/27/10 05:45 PM
http://healthland.time.com/2010/12/17/study-living-near-a-highway-may-contribute-to-autism-risk/
Posted By: Belize Fly Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/27/10 11:52 PM
I think this whole taxi thing is absurd. All you,re asking for is more crime north. The whole concept of us buying north was because of only golf cart traffic. The way taxi's drive in town it is a wonder more people aren't hit. They seem to think that they own the whole road. Plus are taxi's paying the bridge toll? Or is it just certain folks lining somebody's pocket?
Posted By: Maya House Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/28/10 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by northern fun
I think this whole taxi thing is absurd. All you,re asking for is more crime north. The whole concept of us buying north was because of only golf cart traffic. The way taxi's drive in town it is a wonder more people aren't hit. They seem to think that they own the whole road. Plus are taxi's paying the bridge toll? Or is it just certain folks lining somebody's pocket?

It's exactly why I bought North, and it's part of my advertising as well to attract clients. We just had a mini van (which was NOT a taxi) stop and ask for directions. Infuriating!!
Posted By: BeBelize Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/28/10 01:35 AM
I must totally agree with the sentiments posted here. We are in the process of building a condo north of the bridge. The lack of vehicular traffic north was a huge deciding factor for us, as we also looked at some condos south of town. They were nice, but the traffic was a turn-off for us. Being from the US, one of the main things we hoped to escape from in Belize was traffic and so many motor vehicles. We were enchanted to find a place where a bike ride could take us to town for groceries rather than hopping into a car. We are very sad to read about this newest development and hope that the "trial" will remain just that.
Can anyone here tell me who gave the Town Board or the Traffic god the permission to give permission? Remember is still not a legal gazetted roadway. As I stated in the past, if there is an accident, which is inevitable the speeds the taxis are going, insurance companies are not liable. It's still private property.
Today I had words with the Captain Morgan's taxi after he had to slam on his brakes to stop from hitting a young boy who was cleaning bush in front of his house. I personally was hit by a motorcycle and can attest that the fact that insurance companies consider the "road" private property and just throw you claim in the trash. I have also had a traffic violation thrown out of court as according to the judge 'the traffic department was trespassing".
Whoever at The Town Board who decided they had the authority to issue a permit for taxi traffic across that bridge has put themselves and the taxi drivers in a liability situation that is dangerous.
Not to mention the class action suit to be filed by property owners implicating everyone in the Town Board building because no one will stand up and say who gave the permit.
I hate to say it but I will anyways-I wonder how much $$ was involved in all this.
Do the San Pedranos who actually own the cabs have any influence in this decision? Who are these cab owners?
Posted By: SnoopysMom Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/28/10 03:05 AM
Hmmm... What a great question!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/28/10 04:17 AM
I tend not to write too much here and being British I don't have a whole lot to say but is seems to me that the Town Board and the Mayor are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs and thus their own tourism. Grand Caribe should start their own boat service just like all the other resorts North of San Pedro. Who wants to travel across the bridge in a stinky rusty taxi with broken air conditioner, worn out suspension and the whole family of the driver breast feeding on the back seat while being grossly overcharged anyway? This is not why people come to Belize!
Donald
Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/28/10 04:37 AM
Originally Posted by champion
So tell me then, what about the letter of agreement with Mexico to build the road from Mexico to San Pedro.

There was no public consultation on that either and it does not change any of the facts. There at present is no legal easement, you can check it out yourself, just go to town board and look at the survey maps.
Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/28/10 04:47 AM
Originally Posted by belizeonthebeach
Can anyone here tell me who gave the Town Board or the Traffic god the permission to give permission? Remember is still not a legal gazetted roadway. As I stated in the past, if there is an accident, which is inevitable the speeds the taxis are going, insurance companies are not liable. It's still private property.
Today I had words with the Captain Morgan's taxi after he had to slam on his brakes to stop from hitting a young boy who was cleaning bush in front of his house. I personally was hit by a motorcycle and can attest that the fact that insurance companies consider the "road" private property and just throw you claim in the trash. I have also had a traffic violation thrown out of court as according to the judge 'the traffic department was trespassing".
Whoever at The Town Board who decided they had the authority to issue a permit for taxi traffic across that bridge has put themselves and the taxi drivers in a liability situation that is dangerous.
Not to mention the class action suit to be filed by property owners implicating everyone in the Town Board building because no one will stand up and say who gave the permit.
I hate to say it but I will anyways-I wonder how much $$ was involved in all this.
There is recourse under law. It is called a Writ Of Mandamus and is a court order compelling a public body to obey the law. It has been Gazetted that there are no vehicles larger than golf carts allowed up here and thats the law. They have no authority to do as they have done.
The other factor is the bridge. I dont think it was designed for such traffic. Before this is even considered the Ministry of Works needs to examine and ok the bridge for this type of traffic. The structure does not look substantial enough to be a real bridge handling several taxis on the structure at one time with all the twist and shaking on a daily basis, works well for golf carts and bicycles though. Very poorly thought out decision.
I seem to remember a survey map that shows the north end of the bridge landing on the middle of Tom Vidrines lot. B E L's power station to the west is where the easement is, should they make it a road.It would go between the theater and Holy Cross and connect to the road going through Reef Village.
Whatever--the bridge was partially overhauled 2 years ago. They only did half (west) and it took them 3 months. The north side will not last another year. I will not walk on the east sidewalk for fear of falling through what was once 3/16 diamond plate. (there are no diamonds left on the plate).The onslaught of 60,000 lb. 10 wheelers last month took whatever longevity the bridge had anyways.
Posted By: Inplub Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/28/10 12:20 PM
Just to make a point about the bridge I believe it was made in England and when I first saw the bridge it looked just like a Tank Bridge we used in the Army. They look weak but can take 56 ton.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/28/10 03:51 PM
SO - WHAT CAN WE DO NOW? Can a town hall meeting be called? Come on we have to DO something - not just bitch.
Posted By: Maya House Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/28/10 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
SO - WHAT CAN WE DO NOW? Can a town hall meeting be called? Come on we have to DO something - not just bitch.

Exactly! That's what I want to know. What can we do RIGHT NOW. This week!!
Posted By: Inplub Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/28/10 05:34 PM
Put a Toll Gate on your land.
Originally Posted by Inplub
Just to make a point about the bridge I believe it was made in England and when I first saw the bridge it looked just like a Tank Bridge we used in the Army. They look weak but can take 56 ton.

I agree that the superstructure is substantial but the grating is not and has deteriorated to a point where they will soon be unsafe.
The trucks bent them to a point where they fell out. I will get some photos. The psi (point load) of a loaded dump truck is at least 10 times more than that of a tank.
Posted By: Ecoman Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/28/10 08:31 PM
Has anybody thought for a moment that soon it won't be just taxis that will be using that road but all those people that bought property ,1200 lots at GBE,there will be a lot of people that will be driving back and forth. There is also Colonia San Diego 1 and 2 that will be using that area as well.The population of this island is one the fastest growing in this country,so our leaders better come up with the master plan on what is the best way for this island to grow. Over 3000 acres of land on North Ambergris that was sold to the Koreans By the past administration , PUP,this group is ready to present their EIA to the public and to think that taxis is going to be the only thing that will be using this area. We all need to join hands to ensure that this island grows in sustainable manner. We all should keep our eyes and ears open because more stuff is coming stay tuned....
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/28/10 08:31 PM

I agree that the superstructure is substantial but the grating is not and has deteriorated to a point where they will soon be unsafe.
The trucks bent them to a point where they fell out. I will get some photos. The psi (point load) of a loaded dump truck is at least 10 times more than that of a tank.

Hmmmm, that makes me wonder if a loaded golf cart would be safe on the bridge with "bent grates that are falling out".
Hi Al,
If you drive on one side or the other the weight is at the edges of the grates--the strongest point. The trucks and taxis strattle the center and put the weight in the center of the grates--the weakest point.
I think we will always have one side or the other to navigate.
If a few grates fall into the sea then that will stop the trucks and taxi's anyways ;-)
Posted By: champion Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/28/10 09:18 PM
Sounds like the SEALS need to show up and return it to the pull barge days.
Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/28/10 09:41 PM
I have discovered that the taxis are only allowed as far as Las Tarazzas. Have no idea what that survey map looks like.
As far as what can be done, a lawyer can apply to the supreme court for a "Writ Of Mandamus". If granted and it should be they would be enjoined from allowing vehicles to pass North of the bridge as per the existing law, road or no.
Posted By: Belikin Joe Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/28/10 10:55 PM
Out of curiosity, how much are the cabs charging to go from downtown to Las Tarazzas? Just wondering how much actual demand there is to use them from that far North.
Posted By: AT602 Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/29/10 12:09 AM
Maybe instead of just talking we should put our Money where our Mouth is. Mike Campbell seems to know something about law. Lets put some money up and get an attorney. Find out what can be done and quit just bitching. Who wants to be in charge?
Mike???
AT602--that's is my motivation behind all this drabble--be reminded that some of the larger more afluent resorts are behind all of this. The largest of which has yet to 'rear it's ugly head'--so to speak. Let the games begin.
Posted By: Short Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/29/10 04:18 AM
be reminded that some of the larger more afluent resorts are behind all of this. The largest of which has yet to 'rear it's ugly head'--so to speak.
They are demoting their own resorts, I mean how stupid can you be? Build something and pay extra expensive building costs, and then wanting traffic, lowering your resort to a town resort while the neighbors can now build cheaper than you. With the traffic will come the crime so you have just totally ruined your own neighborhood. Whoever did this didn't think it through very well.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/30/10 05:42 PM
Does anyone know if the taxi drivers are paying a toll to cross the bridge........if not, I will refuse to pay a toll when I cross with my golf cart smirk
Posted By: elbert Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/30/10 06:41 PM
[Linked Image]
No Tourist in this load
Posted By: BeBelize Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/30/10 07:48 PM
Interesting article today on this (w/photo of signage) posted on Ambergris Today:

Ambergris Today article
Posted By: elbert Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/30/10 08:09 PM
This is just a quick shot as i passed , if you wait and watch you'll see the water trucks and pick ups.
Total BS on the part off the sign and town boards statements!
but we knew that didn't we.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/30/10 09:10 PM
That theatre in the background looks sooooo out of place!
Posted By: papashine Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/30/10 09:21 PM
As does the bridge and taxi frown
Posted By: BeBelize Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/30/10 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Loansum - Al K
That theatre in the background looks sooooo out of place!

It's the tackiest thing on the island, IMO. eek
Posted By: reaper Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/30/10 10:40 PM
All of the Ramon's Village signs, and the Vegas style light up one by Tropic Air is the tackiest thing on the island. The theater comes in a close second. IMHO
Posted By: Maya House Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/30/10 10:54 PM
This is just a quick shot as i passed , if you wait and watch you'll see the water trucks and pick ups.
Total BS on the part off the sign and town boards statements!
but we knew that didn't we.

Yes we did. A complete and utter load of crap!
Posted By: elbert Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/30/10 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by reaper
All of the Ramon's Village signs, and the Vegas style light up one by Tropic Air is the tackiest thing on the island. The theater comes in a close second. IMHO

The one by the airport said'The wages of sin are death' Dive with Ramnos Dive Shop.... I don't know to be offended or what :-)
Posted By: papashine Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/30/10 11:40 PM
Now thats funny!! grin
Posted By: Belikin Joe Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/31/10 12:09 AM
As an outsider, I think now that this has started y'all will have a hard time stopping it unless the roads get unpassable or the bridge collapses.

Are tourist really using these taxis? Me thinks there must be some resort(s) behind it and if so I'm sure the pay off to those in power has been made. Then again I sit in the US so I'm probably clueless.
Posted By: BeBelize Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/31/10 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by Belikin Joe
As an outsider, I think now that this has started y'all will have a hard time stopping it unless the roads get unpassable or the bridge collapses.

Sadly I fear that you are right. Once open, the floodgates are difficult to close. Can't argue with progress, right? frown
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/31/10 03:43 AM
Today the Mayoress was a passenger in a no top Ranger sorta vehicle that SPEED north. About 10 minutes later it came ROARING back south with the Mayoress driving. I thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me and it was just someone who look like the mayoress so I called to town board . . . hoping I was wrong and she was in the office. She was NOT in the office and isn't expected in until next week.

When we got the bridge FOISTED on us with a lot of promises we talked about ceeding from the town then. Maybe it's time to once again entertain thatg.

I was told that Grand Caribe was the resort that instigated the request.

I would suspect that the water taxi and golf cart rentals are going to take a big hit. Where is their voice?

Of course it is not just taxi's coming across the bridge. There is a steady stream of vehicles.

If we don't do something we are just fools.
Posted By: Maya House Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/31/10 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by BelizeBoundGal

Sadly I fear that you are right. Once open, the floodgates are difficult to close. Can't argue with progress, right? frown

It is NOT progress!! It is GREED, pure and simple!
Posted By: Maya House Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/31/10 06:44 AM
Today the Mayoress was a passenger in a no top Ranger sorta vehicle that SPEED north. About 10 minutes later it came ROARING back south with the Mayoress driving. I thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me and it was just someone who look like the mayoress so I called to town board . . . hoping I was wrong and she was in the office. She was NOT in the office and isn't expected in until next week.

When we got the bridge FOISTED on us with a lot of promises we talked about ceeding from the town then. Maybe it's time to once again entertain thatg.

I was told that Grand Caribe was the resort that instigated the request.

I would suspect that the water taxi and golf cart rentals are going to take a big hit. Where is their voice?

Of course it is not just taxi's coming across the bridge. There is a steady stream of vehicles.

If we don't do something we are just fools.

Absolutely!! We need to start the process immediately!

Is there also an impeachment process available?
Posted By: Inplub Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/31/10 12:59 PM
Simple answer NO it is too late. The box has been opened and you can not close it now, or should I say the bridge has now been opened.
Posted By: Maya House Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/31/10 02:37 PM
It is never too late to do the right thing.
Reading the comments from people in the community is very telling as well.(Ambergris Today) posted above. It will be pretty hard to stop it now.
Posted By: BeBelize Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 12/31/10 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by lovey and thurston
Reading the comments from people in the community is very telling as well.(Ambergris Today) posted above. It will be pretty hard to stop it now.

Yep, definitely a different crowd on that site than here...
Posted By: Marty Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/01/11 05:41 PM
Taxi's cleared to conduct business across the bridge

News reached The San Pedro Sun of Taxi Cabs sighted on Northern Ambergris Caye, past the Boca del Rio Bridge. Up until recently only golf carts, bicycles, motorcycles and pedestrians have been allowed passage over the bridge. Looking into the matter, The San Pedro Sun spoke with Mr. Pablo Ico, Deputy Mayor and Chairperson for the Ambergris Caye Traffic Control Committee (ACCTC). Mr. Ico stated that the information was in-fact accurate. According to him, the decision was made in a meeting held on December 21st with Counselors, the Minister, Hon. Manuel Heredia and representatives of the ACTCC. The decision was made and would be carried out on a trial basis. This service, he stated, would give tourists, as well as residents of North Ambergris Caye more options and a more efficient means of transportation.

Taxis will be able to cross the bridge for a total cost of $12.00BZ toll and allowed to go as far north as Las Terrazas. Taxis travelling across the bridge must abide by a ten-mile per hour speed limit. The bridge will be open to taxis between the hours of 6:00am to 9:00pm. As this is a privilege, it will be taken away, should any taxi driver or association fail to abide by the regulations. The ACTCC hopes to work with the North Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch to monitor the actions of taxis on the north end in regards to speeding and moving vehicle regulations.

While taxi drivers and the ACTCC are optimistic and happy about this decision, many residents of North Ambergris Caye do not share the same enthusiasm. One resident commented, "This is not a good idea, first of all, allowing those vehicles to traffic the streets of North Ambergris Caye will take away from the quite ambience that people come here for. Furthermore, the racing by the houses is definitely going to create a safety issue. So far, I have seen two taxis on two different occasions, speeding by and throwing garbage onto the roadsides." Another grave concern was the impact that taxis will have on the condition of the roads, especially in the rainy season.

The committees involved held a meeting with the Taxi Associations and the Federation on Wednesday, December 29th to discuss the conditions. During this meeting a standardized price list was formulated as well as the abovementioned limitations. The standardized price list will apply to all taxi cabs providing services to clients in all of Ambergris Caye and must be displayed at all times within the cabs.

San Pedro Sun
Posted By: J A Rebel Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/04/11 05:30 PM
Taxi allowed crossing over northern Ambergris Caye
Islanders on the north of Ambergris Caye now have to adjust to the idea of seeing taxi across the bridge. That's because the San Pedro Town Council have given the green light for taxi to cross over the bridge. Jorge Aldana reports from San Pedro Ambergris Caye.
Jorge Aldana - Reporter
The bridge that separates the northern and southern parts of San Pedro Ambergris Caye, had in the past, faced rejection from residents living on the northern end of the island especially when it was in the conceptual and construction phases. Now that it has been up and running for some years, it is again the center of controversy, this time around, over the idea that it is now open for vehicular traffic, specifically taxes. The decision to allow cabs over the bridge was taken in a closed door meeting between the San Pedro Town Council and the Area Representative Honorable Manuel "Junior" Heredia sometime last week.
According to residents on northern Ambergris Caye, when the bridge was open in February 2006, they were promised that it would only be open to pedestrians, cyclists, golf carts and utility vehicles when necessary. Five years later, the green light has been given for taxes to travel over the bridge as far as to Las Terrazas Resort located some 4 miles north of San Pedro Town.
Residents have been voicing their concerns by placing comments on the Ambergris Caye Message Board calling on the local authority and the Area Representative to consult with them before taking such decision. In addition, residents claim that taxi drivers are not the most courteous vehicle users. Without traffic signs, speed bumps and adequate regulation in place for vehicles, residents say that there is no guarantee that taxi drivers would respect carts and cyclists on the northern road.
No consultation was held with the residents on northern Ambergris Caye, however a sign placed at the foot of the bridge indicates that the decision was taken to allow taxes across the bridge for the easier movement of tourists and locals. The sign indicates that the Northern Neighborhood Watch Group will be working to monitor traffic, specifically speed limits, boarder lines and crossing hours.
The taxi drivers will be charged $12.00 per round trip across the bridge, $2.00 more than the charge to golf cart drivers. In addition, the taxis will only be allowed over the bridge between the hours of 6:00AM to 9:00PM and the speed limited across the bridge is 10 miles per hour.
Love News contacted Minister Heredia, who explained that he would not go into details since he was on vacation but said briefly that the decision was taken based on requests made by several resort owners on northern Ambergris Caye. For his part, the Deputy Mayor of San Pedro Town, Pablo Ico said that he would not comment on the issue until after a meeting with the different stakeholders scheduled for Wednesday.
Love News will continue to follow up on this story during the course of this week.
Reporting for Love News from San Pedro Town, I am Jorge Aldana.
Aired 3 January 2011
Posted By: Inplub Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/04/11 05:44 PM
The next BIG question is will it take another 5 years before everybody can drive over the bridge?
Posted By: SnoopysMom Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/04/11 08:44 PM
My understanding is that speed limits is not capable of being measured / consequently enforced. Can anyone seriously hold Taxis accountable for driving < 10 MPH North of the Bridge?
Posted By: papashine Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/04/11 08:47 PM
No.
Posted By: elbert Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/04/11 09:06 PM
The next town board election is March 7th 2012.
If you have friend or relatives living in san pedro but registered in Corozal or anther district they can have their vote registration transferred and vote in San Pedro if they do it by June 2011.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/04/11 09:21 PM
The next town board election is March 7th 2012.
If you have friend or relatives living in san pedro but registered in Corozal or anther district they can have their vote registration transferred and vote in San Pedro if they do it my June 2012.

"June 2012".......wrong date I think.
Posted By: elbert Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/04/11 11:23 PM
fixed it, thanks!
Posted By: elbert Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/04/11 11:24 PM
The next BIG question is will it take another 5 years before everybody can drive over the bridge?

everyone is.
Posted By: shuffles Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/04/11 11:27 PM
On a side note here, I noticed when I was at the town board yesterday getting our trade license, that the fee for registering a golf cart is $135 and for taxis it's $120. Who can make any sense of that for me?
Posted By: reaper Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/05/11 02:56 AM
The taxi union.
screw it--I am gonna buy a Hummer and park it at my house.
Posted By: papashine Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/05/11 05:13 AM
grin
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/06/11 03:25 AM
Saturday night there was a stream of taxis going both directions around midnight.
As I was going to bed last night at 11:14 a taxi came speed south from the north.
There are a few drivers who are being very carefull but the majority of them drive like it is a speed way.

HOWEVER - I must say that a lot of people who live or work up north and driver ATV, Rangers, motorcycles etc. are the worse offenders. They are very reckless and do not slow down for pot holes or ropes. Many of them stand up so they can absorb the shock with their knees.
Posted By: Decompression Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/06/11 03:39 PM
Saturday night there was a stream of taxis going both directions around midnight.
As I was going to bed last night at 11:14 a taxi came speed south from the north.
There are a few drivers who are being very carefull but the majority of them drive like it is a speed way.

HOWEVER - I must say that a lot of people who live or work up north and driver ATV, Rangers, motorcycles etc. are the worse offenders. They are very reckless and do not slow down for pot holes or ropes. Many of them stand up so they can absorb the shock with their knees.

Regarding the taxi's, are they now "staying" up north AFTER the 9pm toll bridge deadline? Or are they already breaking the 6am to 9pm time frame given to them to cross the cut?

DC
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/06/11 07:04 PM
Let the games begin!!
Posted By: Inplub Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/06/11 08:45 PM
Maybe there is a new Taxi Company north of the bridge and do not cross it after 9pm.
Posted By: Belize Fly Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/07/11 03:33 PM
I doubt that. Depends who the troll at the bridge is
Posted By: mobunny Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/09/11 06:49 PM
I say hook up a couple of web cams to monitor the taxi activity up North.
Posted By: Decompression Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/12/11 03:10 AM
Whats the latest on the taxi's up north? It's been more then 2 weeks.

I am going to be back at my place in a week, hope they are gone by then.

DC
Posted By: elbert Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/12/11 04:50 AM
Rain will change the whole situation....and its raining now.
Could be all moot if we have a good rain.
Posted By: Decompression Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/12/11 05:16 AM
Excellent!!

DC
Posted By: Belikin Joe Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/17/11 05:34 PM
Just spent last week @ 2-3 miles north of the cut, and went to town nearly every day for either lunch or dinner via my golf cart. I didn't encounter taxi's much, maybe 1 or max of 2 each way. IMO, only one taxi was driving a bit fast when he passed me; all others drove slow/moved over when passing. What I encountered a lot of (especially during the day) were pick up trucks. All seemed to drive respectful, but the dust they threw up kinda sucked for me. I probably won't be back to visit for a few years; I really cannot imagine what the road north will be like by then...
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/27/11 09:40 PM
How is the road north of the bridge holding up?
Posted By: tcoats Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/27/11 09:49 PM
Just spent last week @ 2-3 miles north of the cut, and went to town nearly every day for either lunch or dinner via my golf cart. I didn't encounter taxi's much, maybe 1 or max of 2 each way. IMO, only one taxi was driving a bit fast when he passed me; all others drove slow/moved over when passing. What I encountered a lot of (especially during the day) were pick up trucks. All seemed to drive respectful, but the dust they threw up kinda sucked for me. I probably won't be back to visit for a few years; I really cannot imagine what the road north will be like by then...

And why are pickup trucks coming across the bridge? I thought the new policy was just for taxis!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/27/11 09:54 PM
The damn flood gate was opened that's why frown
Posted By: tcoats Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/27/11 10:00 PM
Boooo
Posted By: debbief Re: Taxis over the bridge up north... - 01/27/11 11:06 PM
We were there for 3 weeks and only saw a couple of taxis. The trucks we encountered were the guys working on the power lines. Even though I'm not excited about the increased traffic, we didn't see anyone driving fast or recklessly. We talked to a couple of taxi drivers in town, and they think the rates will prevent many taxis from making the trip north. That and the condition of the roads when the rain starts!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board