AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Best resorts...

Posted By: -Edward-

Best resorts... - 01/11/11 09:47 PM

My wife and I want to visit Belize in the next few weeks. What are the best 2-3 resorts where we can have the top of the line room and with balcony and view of the Caribbean from our room. Top amenities, etc. We really don't want to be disappointed with the room or service. I am pretty sure we won't be disappointed with the beaches. :-)
Posted By: awhatukeeguy

Re: Best resorts... - 01/11/11 10:13 PM

Where in Belize?
Posted By: azbob

Re: Best resorts... - 01/11/11 10:25 PM

If you are coming to Ambergris Caye, my recommendation is Tranquility Bay. See our trip in July:
//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/389156/A_Week_of_Tranquility.html#Post389156
Posted By: Alter Ego

Re: Best resorts... - 01/11/11 10:39 PM

Honestly I work at resort north which is beautiful and has nice balcony but not good beach...I would honestly recommend Ramon's Village instead..I'm a native and I have seen resorts rise and fall in popularity but Ramon's has stood strong and the staff their are some of my buddies..aditionally I arguably have noticed its the only resort that has the most natives from this island working there..look it up..great swimming area
Posted By: reaper

Re: Best resorts... - 01/11/11 10:52 PM

Cayo Espanto
Victoria House
Portofino
All on AC.

Re: Best resorts... - 01/11/11 10:54 PM

Where do you recommend, given the details I provided? Ambergris Caye seems to be the most popular area. Are there others? Never been there before but want to be able to walk out to the beach and enjoy the view from the room; do a little snorkeling and maybe rent a small boat? Deluxe accomodations a must...

Re: Best resorts... - 01/11/11 10:58 PM

Wow...I am really impressed with this forum. Very active and helpful. And very fast. Sincere thanks to all. Let's see if we get a concensus.

I am in Alabama right now where the weather is unseasonable wicked: cold, ice, dark. Used to live in Puerto Rico and spent lots of time in the Keys. We need to get away! :-)

Edward...
Posted By: klcman

Re: Best resorts... - 01/11/11 11:16 PM

renting a small boat will not be an option, unless you call wave runners a boat. :-)

Posted By: champion

Re: Best resorts... - 01/11/11 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by klcman
renting a small boat will not be an option, unless you call wave runners a boat. :-)

Yes, you need a Belize Capt Lic.

Re: Best resorts... - 01/11/11 11:24 PM

Is Ramon's on the beach? Very nice rooms with balconies that view beach?

Thanks for the help?
Posted By: pirate villas

Re: Best resorts... - 01/11/11 11:29 PM

check out the lodging section on the top of the page under the pics it will tell you about all the cool resorts
Posted By: champion

Re: Best resorts... - 01/11/11 11:36 PM

Look at this too, it will give you an understanding of the layout of the land and possibly a better view of the properties.

http://pelicanproperties.com/airbridgenorth.html
Posted By: Edwardo

Re: Best resorts... - 01/11/11 11:45 PM

Try the Phonex,very nice and close to everything.
Posted By: Judyann H.

Re: Best resorts... - 01/11/11 11:56 PM

Admittedly an owner at Pelican Reef Villas......

We have been coming to the island since 2003....Ramon's was great when we were younger.....

However for first class service in a small boutique setting with incredible rooms (washers/dryers)(spa tubs)we highly recommend Pelican Reef Villas..... A trip adviser Favorite with the higher end traveler.

Good Luck! or PM me with any questions....

Please note we are not directly involved with the rental of the units, however the on site Property Managers are "TOP NOTCH" .....
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Best resorts... - 01/12/11 12:03 AM

Reaper has the recommendations right - add to his recommendations:

Azul

Mata Chica

I don't think you will be disappointed with ANYthing in any of these locations.

Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: Best resorts... - 01/12/11 12:10 AM

For more upscale accommodations in a resort (with great onsite dining options), I have heard great things about the Phoenix (in town) or Victoria House (south of town) or Coco Beach (North - pretty new, so am not sure about dining) or Azul (a little more North).

I agree that Ramon's is very nice and close to everything, but perhaps not as upscale as you were looking for?
Posted By: Judyann H.

Re: Best resorts... - 01/12/11 12:24 AM

All of these are great choices.....You probably have a harder time finding an unpleasant place to stay.....Have fun
Posted By: reaper

Re: Best resorts... - 01/12/11 12:37 AM

+1 on Azul, Mata Chica and the Phoenix and Pelican Reef has the coolest bar on the island at their pool.

Azul and Mata Chica have a great beach. Great service. The 2 units at Azul are incredible. Food is A ++++ at Rojo, Azul's restaurant. Great owners. World famous too from the Travel Channel. North of the town.

We love Mata Chica. Great beach, service and food. Next to Azul.

Portofino is amazing and very tropical like. Wonderful service. Great owners. North of town.

Cayo Espanto is where all of the big shots stay. Really big shots. It's an island west of the island.

Victoria House is wonderful. Great food too. A bit south of town.

The Phoenix is top notch. I wish I lived there. Modern, in town, great pool and food. In town.

Pelican Reef is a bit out of the way down south. The owners are great people, the pool and bar is too cool and the units are very nice. A bit further south than Vistoria House.

Look at all of the info here in the lodging section. Have fun browsing. When you narrow it down let us know so we can chime in with our 2 pennies worth.
Posted By: GwenA

Re: Best resorts... - 01/12/11 09:51 PM

A good value that has all the things you want, is a beach front apartment/room at Banana Beach. You will save some $$, and get pool, restaurant, locals hang out, and the hosts, Jimmy and Crystal are sweetie pies. Close to town too!
Posted By: Bing Crosby

Re: Best resorts... - 01/13/11 12:24 AM

Try Pedros, you can't find more luxury on the island; and the views are breath taking.

Re: Best resorts... - 01/13/11 03:19 AM

I knew if I saw that name....that was coming!
Posted By: JeanH

Re: Best resorts... - 01/13/11 03:40 PM

If you want to be easy walking distance to restaurants, stay at the Phoenix.

South of town for a resort, Victoria House. More of a condo experience, Pelican Reef. Maybe even Xanadu, although not as upscale.

North, I'd go with the other recommendations. Coco Beach is awesome, but, as far as I know, still no restaurant.
Posted By: debbief

Re: Best resorts... - 01/13/11 03:46 PM

The restaurant at Coco Beach won't open for several more months, but we enjoyed excellent appetizers and drinks last night at The Green Iguana at Belizean Shores. I understand taht the same owners will be in charge of the Coco Beach restaurant. Nice people and great food!
Posted By: Voxman

Re: Best resorts... - 01/13/11 04:24 PM

Click for links to the sites.

Pelican Reef Villas

<or>

Athens Gate

Same owners... great people and the staff are top notch! About 2 miles south of town. Get a golf cart and explore.

E-mail them and ask all the questions you want... they will reply to all of them honestly and quickly. I'm still waiting for responses from some resorts from our first vacation here a year and a half ago...:)
Posted By: BeBelize

Re: Best resorts... - 01/14/11 03:51 AM

We have stayed at the Phoenix and Grand Caribe (north of the bridge), and both were remarkable. Gorgeous rooms, views, helpful staff. Depends on if you want to be right in town or a bit farther out.
Posted By: Short

Re: Best resorts... - 01/14/11 05:33 AM

Depends what you want; do you want to vacation in concrete or do you want barefoot luxury on the sand? Do you want to be on a secluded beach or do you want to be in downtown San Pedro?
Posted By: P.J.

Re: Best resorts... - 01/14/11 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by klcman

Actually it is required for a Jet ski too. Also, I talked to a group of 6 people from Texas at 1755 yesterday that rented a boat for 4 days from a tour company (very well known one).

Likewise, you're supposed to have a capt license to drive a jet ski(according to the coast guard). Yeah, seriously. The only reason I say that is because a friend of mine got stopped by the coast guard on his personal jet ski and they informed him that he is supposed to have one. So I guess everyone that rents a jet ski while on vacation here has already gone through the rigorous testing for a captains license. haha!
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: Best resorts... - 01/14/11 05:09 PM

Just an FYI - the Island Jungle Tours / Funtasea mini-speedboats operating off of FIDO's dock do have the necessary approvals for driving your own boat. One of the requirements is that there is a licensed tour guide with a captains license leading the tours and the tour routes are pre-arranged. Each boat has the proper licensing with fire extinguishers and first aid kits.

Call 266-3866 (FUNN) for more information/ reservations smile
Posted By: seashell

Re: Best resorts... - 01/14/11 09:35 PM

Edward, my recommendation goes to Victoria House! Best of both worlds, beautiful resort/ambiance, easy access to town for other restaurants and activities.

debbief, you got lucky that the Belizean Shores restaurant was open. It had been closed for renos until Jan. 11 (was my understanding). Other than access to restaurants, CocoBeach is awesome, large complex (not quite complete), incredible pools, fun bar, lovely beach area, beautiful beach views, good service. The road was in good condition and so the trip to town and back wasn't too bad at all. That won't last.

The Phoenix is a fabulous/stunning resort, and certainly, I'm always in favor of access to town amenities. Unfortunately, while you may love the resort, you may not care for the beach area out front.

Ramon's still has the best beach in town, and a cool tropical ambiance going on. Possibly, you could be happy in a beachfront unit, but I don't think the units themselves are worth the dime.

Re: Best resorts... - 01/20/11 07:33 PM

Has anyone any information on this one, Las Terrazas? It looks like our first choice, Victoria House is booked...

Re: Best resorts... - 01/20/11 08:06 PM

Las Terrazas is great! We as locals go there for get aways, wine dinners, and luxury. Food is great, White Sands Dive Shop next door is great, Rendesvous a few doors up is fun. It's not close to town, but the ferry runs regularly! Also, great spa...massages with Zak!
One of the best resort staffs on the Island!
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board