AmbergrisCaye.com Home

ALERT to Residents

Posted By: Marty

ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 03:49 PM

[Linked Image]
Neighbors,

A man has been reported to be in the north area looking for trouble. Please be on the look out for a middle aged hispanic male that has GOLD FRONT TEETH.

He may approach and enter upon your property and ask for work or a glass of water.

Call the Police and Myself at 661-6353 if he is spotted.

Thanks,
NorthAC Neighborhood Watch

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 03:50 PM

Neighbors,

The suspect that we have been looking for may identify himself as a Police Officer, give false information about a crime that had been reported and attempt to collect money for the Neighborhood Watch.

NOBODY collects on behalf of our organization.

Suspect may also state that he is sponsoring a soccer team and/or on behalf of the town board.

If anyone with GOLD FRONT TEETH approaches with any of th ese attempts please call the Police and myself at 661-6353 immediately.

Physical description: Wearing a light blue soccer jersey, Belizean man about 5'5"-5'6", short black hair, gold caps/teeth. Very mild mannered.

I believe this man MAY ? travel and or hang with th e B.E.L. man that delivers the bills to this area ?

PLEASE try to capture a picture of this man so that he may be apprehended and handled appropriately through the justice system.

Thank you again,
NACNW
Posted By: AC Lover

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 05:06 PM

Thanks Marty; your information is very much appreciated.
Posted By: JZB

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 05:18 PM

He approached a SACNW member in town this morning at the Island Supermarket, knew her name and said he worked for the South Substation. He is currently wearing a Pink Polo Shirt. Police are being notified right now.
Posted By: natalie p

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 05:30 PM

He has no fear of dogs and the dogs pay no attention to him!
Posted By: JZB

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 06:13 PM

This man is currently in custody at the Police Station. The Police need statements ASAP from anyone who gave this man money.
Posted By: Cayemen

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 06:18 PM

Good Job
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 06:33 PM

Photos would be helpful! I had a guy hanging around Casa Picasso yesterday..... he was on a bike, though.

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 06:36 PM

The pres of NACNW is on his way to try to get a photo now
Posted By: PROBUS

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 07:59 PM

A photo is essential, please. I think I know people he's scammed, if he's the guy I have in mind.

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 08:31 PM

I will post his photo ASAP as soon as I get it from the Pres, meanwhile the police are asking everyone he has tried to scam even if money wasn't given to him to go in to make a report at the station.
Posted By: jO3Design

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 08:40 PM

Any idea on how long he will be detained at the station here? I don't think I'll be able to make it until later this evening or tomorrow morning.

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 08:46 PM

They said you can go today or tomorrow, I have a photo now, but not sure how to post it! I will send it to Marty.

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 08:58 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Inplub

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 09:46 PM

It looks like a man that asked me for money for a football team a few days ago, told him to come back in a few weeks. I will be gone by then.

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 09:48 PM

Please make a report of that at the station
Posted By: Inplub

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 09:54 PM

Why? the first time he asked me for $20 was in Jan 2002 when we first arrived here, not been back since.
Posted By: KwikWalk

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 09:59 PM

Wife and I are at station now waiting. Gave him $20 this morning for a kids soccer team just after 10, then just happened to check the forums and found this post. Called the pres, and the hunt was on.

Apparently hit our neighbor up with a hard luck story about his son needing to go to the doctor a few days ago. Said he was definitely the electric meter reader. Told our neighbor he'd read the meter as less if he got money.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 10:06 PM

He's been pulling the same scam for years...
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 10:08 PM

His father is the meter reader. He's been asking for $10 for this and that for years - I think he's a simple-minded hapless guy.

We have lots of serious issues to deal with, and to me, this is not one of them. If we arrested every person who asked for a dollar for a false cause we'd have nobody left to run the country.

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 10:11 PM

There's more to it than that. Apparently he posed as a police officer yesterday and told visitors there had been a murder in Tres Cocos---completely untrue but freaked many people out.

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 10:37 PM

Thanks for the reminder. He told us about a Canadian female tourist found dead near Palapa. That's what got us to turn right around and look here for more info on that. That's when I found this thread.

I don't want to see the guy locked away forever, but I think he should give back everyones money, and not be allowed to knock on everyones door asking for money for false purposes.

Filed our report. Will look for upates as Scott posts them. Not fun being scammed when you think youre helping the local kids with a fundraiser. frown
Posted By: jO3Design

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
His father is the meter reader. He's been asking for $10 for this and that for years - I think he's a simple-minded hapless guy.

We have lots of serious issues to deal with, and to me, this is not one of them. If we arrested every person who asked for a dollar for a false cause we'd have nobody left to run the country.

I beg to differ in this situation. He showed up my friend's residence at 7AM. He then proceeded to ask us to let him in the house so he can talk to my friend. We told him that our friend was sleeping, and to come back later. He said he would wait and that he needed to discuss something important with our friend. When asked what it was, he stated that it was personal, and I said I wasn't buying that. To come up with a better answer. So I asked him his name and he told me "Orelio" and that he was with the North Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch. Because I know Scott, I chuckled inside knowing that NACNW would never send people door to door, especially SOUTH OF THE FREAKING BRIDGE.

I asked him to leave again. He said he would wait however long it took, then proceeded to ask me questions about when my friend was leaving and how long his trip would be for and if we were all going with him. I don't know where he got this information, but I didn't respond, I just asked him to leave.

As there are a lot of important and expensive things in the house, there was no way we were going to let him case the joint. Finally, my friend woke up, went to the door and had a few words with this man.

I'm sorry, but while to some of us, this may be a small issue, to me it's not. I don't have a family or kids or a lot of expensive things in my home, but the last thing I would want is for anyone to show up at my door, asking to come in, in order to jeopardize the safety of those things. While he may be harmless, his intent is not. All it takes is one conversation with the wrong person about how he went to someone's house that had a flat screen tv or a nice boat docked in the back, etc.

Don't get me wrong; I give out a few bucks here and there for people that ask; I'm still a sucker for those things. But when one starts assuming the identity of others in order to gain access to my home? Not having it.

My $0.02
Posted By: lovey and thurston

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/23/11 11:52 PM

We do have important issues to address and not allowing someone to scam tourists and residents I think is one of them. Most people will give generously to causes and tourists will always give thinking they are helping the community. We have to stop this mentality. It is just wrong on every level. Let's reward honesty. He stopped me this morning and called me by name. I had no idea who he was, and found it a little unnerving. I had read the message board and knew who he was after he told me he was an officer with SACNW( I knew he was not). A few minutes later a woman who recently moved here told me she had given him $20, and though it was going to help island kids. Wrong!
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/24/11 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by natalie p
There's more to it than that. Apparently he posed as a police officer yesterday and told visitors there had been a murder in Tres Cocos---completely untrue but freaked many people out.

Thanks for putting the situation in perspective Natalie - the facts are always helpful. Agreed he's gone over the top if he's impersonating a policeman.

Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/24/11 12:18 AM

Sounds like a real mental case.
Posted By: Beachdog

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/24/11 01:04 AM

That guy has been running the "Soccer Scam" for years already. I fell for that first 'donation' about eight years ago but caught on quickly... looks like he's upped the ante a bit.
Posted By: GwenA

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/24/11 01:18 AM

Me too, I fell for it, three years ago...and he delivered my power bill. There must be a charge for fraud, impersonating an official, etc.! Do you really think anybody will do something about this? I supposedly donated $20Bz for a Soccer Team that helped underprivileged youth. It was $20 for this jerk! He knew enough not to ask again, but I did see him delivering BEL bills after.

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/24/11 02:59 AM

We went in and filed our report. The police have asked for anyone who has be taken by this guy, or even attempted, to come in and file a report. We won't be here for any trial that might come about, but they said two others already had come in and they will still be here to testify.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/24/11 04:43 AM

I remember this guy, when I lived at Royal Palm, he was reading the meters, had a letter from something supporting a youth soccer team. That was in 2001. Looks like hes having a good run !
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/24/11 05:39 AM

I think if he has mental problems he needs help. And I don't mean $$$. Is there a mental health clinic anyplace in the country? Is there such a thing as an involuntary hold? Does he have family that can be called on to help?
I too think he needs to be stopped. This is'nt funny or fun for anyone.
Posted By: PROBUS

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/24/11 06:07 AM

Seeing the picture, he is the guy I have in mind. He came to my house yesterday saying I'd won a prize at the football team and asked to come in to complete the paperwork. Needless to say I didn't let him in. But he's very well informed - knew quite a lot about my neighbours' business, and the names of everybody. He's not dangerous but does need to be stopped.
Posted By: Voxman

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/25/11 04:28 PM

This man came to my home and delivered the electric bill too a couple of days ago. Said there was another murder. A body found near Tres Cocos. He was trying to collect for a football organization to get kids on the right path... It seemed a little shady and now confirmed... Thx for the heads up.

I actually wish he, or anyone, would actually start the program he's scamming about.

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/27/11 02:50 PM

Aurelio Chi arrested for Obtaining Property by Deception amongst other charges

With the knowledge that the Police Department is the body charged with the responsibility to keep residents safe from harm, crooks and con artists among other duties; it was the least to say suspicious, when a male individual was approaching residents of Northern Ambergris Caye impersonating a member of the San Pedro Police Department; soliciting finances.

As this information became known to the San Pedro Police Department, officers worked diligently in following up on the situation, leading to the quick apprehension of one Aurelio Chi 35yrs Belizean Laborer of San Pedrito Area. Mr Chi was arrested in the Boca Del Rio area and charged with 4 counts of obtaining Property by Deception. Chi was additionally charged for Mischievous Act as a result of mischievously giving his name as Jose Cowo when his true identity is Aurelio Chi.

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/27/11 02:50 PM

Obtaining property by deception:
Residents of North Ambergris Caye were a bit alarmed as a male person was entering private property soliciting money under false pretence. Several reports were made to the San Pedro Police Station and quick investigation from the Police Department lead to the detention of Aurelio Chi, 35-year-old, Belizean Laborer of San Pedrito Area. Chi was arrested and charged for four (4) counts of Obtaining Property by Deception. Chi was additionally charged for Mischievous Act for having given his name as Jose Cowo when his true identity is Aurelio Chi.

Ambergris Today
Posted By: Bing Crosby

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/27/11 06:50 PM

How did the police catch him? on electric golf carts? on foot? I was under the impression they were out of fuel for their vehicles.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: ALERT to Residents - 01/27/11 06:58 PM

I think he was delivered straight into their hands.

Although the government isn't paying for the fuel there are a number of private citizens that help out by filling up a tank here and there.

Cops also fished out a would-be burglar out of the croc pond the other day.

Posted By: wasntme

Re: ALERT to Residents - 03/24/11 06:28 PM

Guess who's back. He delivered our electric bill yesterday and knocked (which i just ignored). Today he was going down our street calling into homes. I dont think he's all there.
Posted By: shuffles

Re: ALERT to Residents - 03/24/11 07:04 PM

Wow January 27 he is caught, and by March 23rd he is out. Not bad time for four counts of deception, and giving a false name.
Posted By: lovey and thurston

Re: ALERT to Residents - 03/24/11 10:16 PM

Yes, he stopped me Mon. In town to ask if I would donate to his soccer team. He must be having a field day with all the tourists!
Posted By: SimonB

Re: ALERT to Residents - 03/24/11 10:35 PM

Time to put him back in jail again. If he stops by our place to solicit again we'll call the cops.
Posted By: shuffles

Re: ALERT to Residents - 03/24/11 10:51 PM

Same here Simon.
Posted By: Dane

Re: ALERT to Residents - 03/25/11 02:15 PM

He came to Caye Caulker asking in homes for money for a football team.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board